ADVERTISEMENT

The beginning of the downward spiral of Marshall Football was...

I know this is not going to be a very popular idea, but I think everyone agrees that C-USA (in its current structure) is not good for Marshall University. We need to leave the conference. No doubt about it - the travel is absurd, the Media Package is atrocious, it is not a 2-bid NCAA Tourney league in hoops anymore, and no team is really an inspiring rival. Clearly the MAC is not going to welcome us back with open arms and we are not in a position to go to the AAC or any other conference "above" C-USA.

I would personally love to see us go the the OVC, be a perennial power in FCS football, play a big money game every year with a 2nd tier Power 5 team, and be the regional university that we are. I know that sounds like "going backwards", but what the hell are we doing in C-USA - riding a bad stock all the way down to the bottom of the market. OVC would cut travel costs EXPONENTIALLY, have an equivalent TV deal, be a 1-bid NCAA Tourney League for hoops, and allow us to compete for a national championship in football. Its simply ignorant to pay a head football coach $800,000 at Marshall University.

For any who want to question my "fanhood", know that I love The Herd, graduated with both a BA and MA in the 90s, and hope someday that both of my kids choose to attend Marshall. I just cant stand the direction of our athletics program.

Please. This is like the prosecutor putting the defendant on the witness stand & starting off with the question: “So, tell the jury just how long you have been beating your wife?”
The closest our football program ever came to being declared DOA was 11/14/1970. Once the decision was made to resuscitate, we have been going like the stock market. Some years up, some years down, but generally trending in the positive. Name another program that went from FBS to FCS, then successfully made the transition back to FBS, only to fall back, red-faced, to FCS.
I can wait.......
Oh, you can’t name any? Huh. Yeah, that’s the way to go? Talk about ruining the story of Marshall football. You girls can bitch & moan all you want, but don’t pretend like you know what’s best for the Herd....

Last edited:
Please. This is like the prosecutor putting the defendant on the witness stand & starting off with the question: “So, tell the jury just how long you have been beating your wife?”
The closest our football program ever came to being declared DOA was 11/14/1969. Once the decision was made to resuscitate, we have been going like the stock market. Some years up, some years down, but generally trending in the positive. Name another program that went from FBS to FCS, then successfully made the transition back to FBS, only to fall back, red-faced, to FCS.
I can wait.......
Oh, you can’t name any? Huh. Yeah, that’s the way to go? Talk about ruining the story of Marshall football. You girls can bitch & moan all you want, but don’t pretend like you know what’s best for the Herd....
Hmmm... C-USA is an FCS conference pretending to be an FBS conference anyway - might as well save some dough and not have a travel range from Florida Atlantic all the way to UT-San Antonio.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
The closest our football program ever came to being declared DOA was 11/14/1969. Once the decision was made to resuscitate, we have been going like the stock market. Some years up, some years down, but generally trending in the positive. Name another program that went from FBS to FCS, then successfully made the transition back to FBS, only to fall back, red-faced, to FCS.
I can wait.......
By the way... no reason to be a dickhe@d in your reply - just state your position.

I know this is not going to be a very popular idea, but I think everyone agrees that C-USA (in its current structure) is not good for Marshall University. We need to leave the conference. No doubt about it - the travel is absurd, the Media Package is atrocious, it is not a 2-bid NCAA Tourney league in hoops anymore, and no team is really an inspiring rival. Clearly the MAC is not going to welcome us back with open arms and we are not in a position to go to the AAC or any other conference "above" C-USA.

I would personally love to see us go the the OVC, be a perennial power in FCS football, play a big money game every year with a 2nd tier Power 5 team, and be the regional university that we are. I know that sounds like "going backwards", but what the hell are we doing in C-USA - riding a bad stock all the way down to the bottom of the market. OVC would cut travel costs EXPONENTIALLY, have an equivalent TV deal, be a 1-bid NCAA Tourney League for hoops, and allow us to compete for a national championship in football. Its simply ignorant to pay a head football coach $800,000 at Marshall University.

For any who want to question my "fanhood", know that I love The Herd, graduated with both a BA and MA in the 90s, and hope someday that both of my kids choose to attend Marshall. I just cant stand the direction of our athletics program.

You clearly haven't been around the OVC for a while!!!!!! would be an absolute disaster for Marshall...............

If and I emphasize IF........ that were ever a consideration for MU, the answer would be the CAA.....would give Basketball a chance to get better......College of Charleston, UNCW, William and Mary, James Madison, Towson, Northeastern, Hofstra, Deleware, Elon, and Drexel as a league are no less than on par with CUSA in Basketball and are an Eastern - Southern League...............throw in some A-10 teams in football and they are one of if not the best FBS football league......

HOWEVER, neither is a good option for Marshall unless they decide that they are finished with a major commitment to Football..............would not be my recommendation for the University.

Reactions: pdbailey
I can wait.......

Idaho

You clearly haven't been around the OVC for a while!!!!!! would be an absolute disaster for Marshall...............

If and I emphasize IF........ that were ever a consideration for MU, the answer would be the CAA.....would give Basketball a chance to get better......College of Charleston, UNCW, William and Mary, James Madison, Towson, Northeastern, Hofstra, Deleware, Elon, and Drexel as a league are no less than on par with CUSA in Basketball and are an Eastern - Southern League...............throw in some A-10 teams in football and they are one of if not the best FBS football league......

HOWEVER, neither is a good option for Marshall unless they decide that they are finished with a major commitment to Football..............would not be my recommendation for the University.
I'll buy that one... It just seems like we're pretending to be committed to football at this point - based on the product on the field. With a maintained level of effort in football, we would be a perennial winner in FB and with Danny at the helm in hoops, we would be extremely competitive as well. C-USA is just a dumpster fire and I hate that we're married to it. I would settle for ANYTHING else.

Not surprising.

Please Dr Gilbert fix this now. Get rid of those responsible for killing our beloved football program. Show them the door right now.

Gilbert is focused on the academics of MU, Kopp got too involved with the AD and it cost us dearly.
You, like several other clueless folks, think you're going to the right source, or even have a claim to do so.
Newsflash, you don't.

I'll buy that one... It just seems like we're pretending to be committed to football at this point - based on the product on the field. With a maintained level of effort in football, we would be a perennial winner in FB and with Danny at the helm in hoops, we would be extremely competitive as well. C-USA is just a dumpster fire and I hate that we're married to it. I would settle for ANYTHING else.

Problem is, today its a commitment to compare ourselves to being on par with the AAC.

Tomorrow, you personally have a bad day and read one article about the P5 and complain, "Remember when we were in FCS and this time of year was exciting?!?!"
Then begin to theorize that maybe we should move back down.

Then you regain momentum on suggesting how to improve attendance at MU games with many ideas...

Then you talk about tarping 30% of the stands, thinking it will contain fans and make the Joan "look" full...forgetting that MU, being as subtle as a fart in the bath tub, cannot draw good crowds.

Not you specifically, but fans in general.

Much talk has been about what Marshall can do to improve, but, are the fans even on the same level as to what they actually want?!?! It certainly doesn't appear to be.

Gilbert is focused on the academics of MU, Kopp got too involved with the AD and it cost us dearly.
You, like several other clueless folks, think you're going to the right source, or even have a claim to do so.
Newsflash, you don't.

Newsflash, clueless. I have a right to speak to whoever I like. Maybe I'll speak to Gibert on Monday. You must be in our ath dept with such butt hurt.

Reactions: Sash19
Newsflash, you don't.
I think the big fat governor was right.

I would fire them all. If I am focused on a academics I sure am not going to let my athletic director pay a football coach 800 grand a year to win one conference championship in this league once every decade. And, finish third in our division and give up 60 to Akron at home.

If that is the case, I am going to go get a guy for $400 to 500 grand who could do the same thing and save some money. Go finish third and get to some bowl with 6 or 7 wins. 150 guys in America who could do that for half the money.

They are getting ripped off. I would end that good old buddy nepotism State Road DOT ahtletic dept hiring practice.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni

I think this would be a good idea, given the way tv $ is trending, and smaller conferences are being squeezed into insignificance. If Marshall won’t be a big fish in a small pond, they may end up becoming extinct.

Reality therapy:

- The current "downward spiral" of MU football began when Satan's Vile Servant, the lying, embezzling sack of s*** KO Marcum walked on to our campus. The liar and swindler (IPF $$? what IPF $$, you never gave any money for an IPF; assistant coaches pay raises? I never promised any assistant coach pay raises; further lies and swindles, should die in prison) ran off the greatest coach Marshall ever had or will have. An alumni who was never going to go anywhere else and had at least 10 more great years left. Hired his incompetent crony as "compliance director" (the fool later testified he had no knowledge of basic NCAA regulations, because HE HAD NEVER READ THE MANUAL) and got us on probation for a trivial violation. Ran off our greatest coach. To replace him with some random guy, Suntan Man, who lacked no only any skills as an actual X&O football coach, but so deficient in social skills he alienated not only most fans and boosters, but, obviously, most potential recruits. Destroyed the Big Green club by focusing on a handful of political insiders. Combined with letting the facilities fall into disrepair and similar incompetence in running basketball and the minor sports. The worst man ever to be associated with MU on any level in any field.

His TOTAL FAILURE left MU at a low ebb just when the last "great realignment" happened. Leaving those left to clean up his mess with no cards to play, leaving us in a conference that has issues.

The job for all who love MU right now is to build up our "appeal" so when the next "great realignment" comes we will look attractive to whatever follows this era.

Or you kids can set around an whine "I wish I was in THE AMERICAN!!!!!!" in 1000 threads, and watch the program whiter and eventually die.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall officials screwed the program themselves. They didn't take advantage of the success we were having in the 90s and its costing us now. If we had the right people in place in around 1995 we would be in a much different spot right now I truly believe. Not having good AD leadership really cost us IMO

I think the big fat governor was right.

I would fire them all. If I am focused on a academics I sure am not going to let my athletic director pay a football coach 800 grand a year to win one conference championship in this league once every decade. And, finish third in our division and give up 60 to Akron at home.

If that is the case, I am going to go get a guy for $400 to 500 grand who could do the same thing and save some money. Go finish third and get to some bowl with 6 or 7 wins. 150 guys in America who could do that for half the money.

They are getting ripped off. I would end that good old buddy nepotism State Road DOT ahtletic dept hiring practice.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...
So you're saying the MU president should focus on sports? Perhaps even get involved? Gilbert's list of things to accomplish here likely do not include football. Its not his job to build a football team.
You are also saying for half the money you could get someone to get us a record we have already?
So you are fine with maybe 7 wins a season but as long as it is not Doc or at least someone cheaper? Makes absolutely no sense at all. You're basically conceding that you accept being even lower down the totem pole that one already is.

The governor also needs to focus on getti g WV's economy going again...because of his appetite for literally eating the bills and proposals, WV has nothing to retain the people here, thus feeding MU's shortcomings, thus causing what you're seeing in many ways.
So really, you should blame Justice for being a moron.

Newsflash, clueless. I have a right to speak to whoever I like. Maybe I'll speak to Gibert on Monday. You must be in our ath dept with such butt hurt.

Of course you do. But going to a police officer for a problem with your satellite signal is gonna get you nowhere.
No, I am not in the AD by any capacity.

What exactly, do you think Gilbert is going to do? Fire Doc? On what grounds? Winning 7 games when he wasn't even projected to have a winning record? Or base it on last season...AGAIN? I imagine if one submitted the coaching situation with both argumets, for and against Doc, with no names mentioned just criteria, people would vote to not fire him...and would be critical of those who would.
Gilbert was already approached, and pressured by Justice to fire Doc after 2016, and Gilbert refused.
With this season in the books pretty much and MU football's record improved, what makes you think he'd listen to you?

Of course you do. But going to a police officer for a problem with your satellite signal is gonna get you nowhere.
No, I am not in the AD by any capacity.

What exactly, do you think Gilbert is going to do? Fire Doc? On what grounds? Winning 7 games when he wasn't even projected to have a winning record? Or base it on last season...AGAIN? I imagine if one submitted the coaching situation with both argumets, for and against Doc, with no names mentioned just criteria, people would vote to not fire him...and would be critical of those who would.
Gilbert was already approached, and pressured by Justice to fire Doc after 2016, and Gilbert refused.
With this season in the books pretty much and MU football's record improved, what makes you think he'd listen to you?

I think the case for change has been stated and is clear. But hey if 7 wins in a weak conference is good enough for you then keep it up. Two seasons in a row we have significantly underachieved with no reason to believe next season will be different. We will for the most part be the same team watching everyone pass us by. I think change needs to happen now before the hole gets deeper. If no changes are made again it will be the most significant message to fans in a long time and I can say with confidence season ticket sales and Big Green membership will suffer greatly. In April we will see who is right.

Why would Gilbert listen to me or any of us for that matter? Because I 've worked with him enough to know he is a professional and reasonable person. Would he take the action I or any supporter think needs to happen? Only if he believes it is for the best of MU but he will listen.

I think the case for change has been stated and is clear. But hey if 7 wins in a weak conference is good enough for you then keep it up. Two seasons in a row we have significantly underachieved with no reason to believe next season will be different. We will for the most part be the same team watching everyone pass us by. I think change needs to happen now before the hole gets deeper. If no changes are made again it will be the most significant message to fans in a long time and I can say with confidence season ticket sales and Big Green membership will suffer greatly. In April we will see who is right.

Why would Gilbert listen to me or any of us for that matter? Because I 've worked with him enough to know he is a professional and reasonable person. Would he take the action I or any supporter think needs to happen? Only if he believes it is for the best of MU but he will listen.

Reality check, you can't always get 10+ wins a season, even when we did, people still complained it wasn't enough.
3-9 was real bad, but the overly dramatic make it on par with some real disasters MU has been a part of. Its not, not even close.

You think Hamrick sat on his ass and didn't inform Doc he needed to win at least 6 games or the entire staff is gone?

Doc and the team have responded. Is it frustrating 3 wins were left out on the field? Absolutely. Is MU the only one to have this problem? No. Ask ohio state about their losses and how dearly they cost them. But hey, still 10 wins a season and no calling for a coaches head...and their schedule was perceived as weak.

If the fans are going to grumble about the team, so be it. But be realistic about what you grumble against.
After 3-9 we are 7-5, and looked a hell of alot better. Minus NC State, there was really never a game we weren't in.

Could you say that about 2016? The games were over by the 3rd quarter.

Litton, with his problems still did improve and seemed to have corrected the team issues since they responded with improvement.
Legg showed the playbook was open against Cincy and MTSU, two teams nobody was confident we would beat. What happened to it? I dunno. I hate that it vanished.
Bring in all these logistics and 7 wins IS an improvement. Of course the fans know and expect Doc to do better.
But don't expect any team to go from 3-9 to undefeated.
Its funny how NOW people are grumbling about MU.
Before the season, when asked to predict our record, hardly anyone had us with a winning record. I had us with an optimistic season and was laughed at and told I don't know football.
So basically, before the season, I was optimistic and said the team would improve significantly. Was laughed at for it.
Team actually does improve, not the amount I said, but 4 wins more at least. Now people are acting like they thought the team was better than their pessimistic predictions.

My problem with your post is what do the fans want? Do they want "entertainment" in exchange for wins/losses? Of so, then don't complain about 4-5 losses a season.
If they want to "just win" then don't complain how we win, close or with boring football.
If they don't want Doc as HC and will come when he is gone, then be ready for maybe 2 or 3 seasons in a row of possible 8-9 win seasons since we will be a stepping stone school and nobody will want to stay.
If you want to tarp one area of the stadium, don't complain about lack of funds or increased ticket prices to offset the cost of lost seating...but hey, as long as we pretend we have a big crowd...thats fine, right?

Seriously, what do the fans want? Quit trying to be Tennessee...because they are still coachless and are the laughing stock of college football. Beggars can't be choosers and with the gofundme drive to attempt to raise $2.4 million to buyout Doc's contract and the laughably low number shows MU is certainly the former.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT