ADVERTISEMENT

Typical Doc Holliday Football

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
The effort in that second half was pathetic. Came out with playing great in the first half and then continued to fade as the game wore on.

I thought this brand of football left with Bill Legg.

Fuller couldn't figure out they were eating of the middle and the defense looked liked they were done with being there midway through the 3rd.

Fair assessment. Very frustrating to see us struggle on defense and pull back on aggressive offensive plays.

I still feel good about our offense and its potential with Green behind the wheel. The kid throws bombs effortlessly. If he actually put some effort into a pass, I'd guess it would blow a hole clean through the poor soul on the receiving end.

Agree, they came out completely flat...Fuller must not be that great of a coach to have that amount of talent with nothing to show for it (I understand Bee was out, but man did they look bad!) Maybe we didn’t realize how good we really had it with Heater.. he did just help upset Texas today.. at least we got the W but if that’s the Marshall team that shows up every week will finish middle of pack for sure.. Go HERD!

Reactions: FballMD
We won on the road against a team that should have beaten us last year in huntington, yet we find more reasons to complain. I'm not saying it was flawless, but with a redshirt freshman in there, id say we did OK. Defense, well they kinda did the same thing to us last year. Miami and Ohio are just two schools that most of the time gives us fits, one difference is, we won at their house with their team loaded just the same or more than ours...

Y'all never, ever cease to amaze me.

New OC.

New DC.

Freshman QB.

A win on the road over what will likely be a bowl team.

Yet the FIRST thread about the game outside of the game thread puts Doc, Fuller and Cramsey on blast?

giphy.gif

Fair assessment. Very frustrating to see us struggle on defense and pull back on aggressive offensive plays.

I still feel good about our offense and its potential with Green behind the wheel. The kid throws bombs effortlessly. If he actually put some effort into a pass, I'd guess it would blow a hole clean through the poor soul on the receiving end.

This!!!

I think i saw him check Facebook on his cell phone before throwing a pass. Move a little, act like you put some effort in throwing...lol

I hate everything about Doc Holliday however I was extremely pleased with the game today. This was the first time in the last 4 years that we could actually sustain a drive. It was also the first time that 80% of fans could not predict the upcoming play. Green was fantastic. I am confident that we can now get back to enjoyable fun to watch outscore the other team Marshall football. Thank goodness

It can only officially be football season when a herd fan bi7ches about a win.

It's officially football season.

Sorry. Guess I shouldn't care we wilted down the stretch and almost blew a three TD lead against a team that failed to make a bowl last season.

We scored 35 pts with a redshirt freshman qb on the road. If you want to complain about D I agree but to complain about the O is a little anal. That was nowhere near the Legg offense of last year.
First of all Legg would have never driven down the field at the end of the first half to even try and score.

I hate everything about Doc Holliday however I was extremely pleased with the game today. This was the first time in the last 4 years that we could actually sustain a drive. It was also the first time that 80% of fans could not predict the upcoming play. Green was fantastic. I am confident that we can now get back to enjoyable fun to watch outscore the other team Marshall football. Thank goodness

Green was awesome and will be a stud. He actually looks bored out there. His poise is insane.

I have no real issues with the O. We just seemed to relax until our hand was forced. It didn't help that Brady got mugged all night either.

My deal is the lack of fire in our defense from the midway point of the 3rd quarter. They weren't swarming to the ball the same as s they were to start, players looked lost, and Fuller could not take the middle of the field from them. Their last two TDs were blown assignments.

I will feel better when Bee comes back. Once they noticed his absence was permanent they started to exploit it and we had no adjustment.

That defense in the 2nd half was very poorly coached.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Y'all never, ever cease to amaze me.

New OC.

New DC.

Freshman QB.

A win on the road over what will likely be a bowl team.

Yet the FIRST thread about the game outside of the game thread puts Doc, Fuller and Cramsey on blast?

giphy.gif
And the TRUTH, shall set you free.

Forgot to mention it was the first game of the season. You have to take the positives, like the potential of Green and the running game, and run with them. Acknowledge and address the negatives, but don't dwell on them

Reactions: pdbailey and herd66
This was the first time in the last 4 years that we could actually sustain a drive. It was also the first time that 80% of fans could not predict the upcoming play. Green was fantastic. I am confident that we can now get back to enjoyable fun to watch outscore the other team Marshall football. Thank goodness

Agree.... good game still some work to do, congratulations HERD!

Green was awesome and will be a stud. I have no real issues with the O. Brady got mugged all night.

My deal is the lack of fire in our defense from the midway point of the 3rd quarter. They weren't swarming to the ball the same as s they were to start, players looked lost, and Fuller could not take the middle of the field from them. Their last two TDs were blown assignments.

I will feel better when Bee comes back. Once they noticed his absence was permanent they started to exploit it and we had no adjustment.

That defense in the 2nd half was very poorly coached.

These are statements I can agree with.

And the TRUTH, shall set you free.

Forgot to mention it was the first game of the season. You have to take the positives, like the potential of Green and the running game, and run with them. Acknowledge and address the negatives, but don't dwell on them
Yep.

And for the record I love me some @BleedsGreen33. We need more passionate fans like him.

Just thought this thread missed the mark.

Yep.

And for the record I love me some @BleedsGreen33. We need more passionate fans like him.

Just thought this thread missed the mark.

Had it been a better opponent and we hadn't started out the way we did on both sides of the ball I wouldn't be that upset. It was the first game with a lot of new parts. That shouldn't have anything to do with intensity and effort. From the midpoint of the 3rd quarter that went away. Corners were leaving guys wide open and then standing around with their hands out in confusion how a guy got so free.

All we read about this off season is how deep we were on defense and we looked like a team that had no depth. They made adjustments to our D that we had no answer for and then gashed us.

Had it been a better opponent and we hadn't started out the way we did on both sides of the ball I wouldn't be that upset. It was the first game with a lot of new parts. That shouldn't have anything to do with intensity and effort. From the midpoint of the 3rd quarter that went away. Corners were leaving guys wide open and then standing around with their hands out in confusion how a guy got so free.

All we read about this off season is how deep we were on defense and we looked like a team that had no depth. They made adjustments to our D that we had no answer for and then gashed us.

The defense missed tackles in the backfield, was MIA on coverages, and absolutely was out of sorts 2nd quarter on.

Game 1 to game 2 is the biggest improvement week in football, 35 points hopefully translates to 59 next week. The defense needs to give up 9 or less.

Still like our chances at SC and think that’s NC St is 65/35 for a W.

ZERO INTERCEPTIONS. Best stat out of all. Kid was rushed plenty, stayed ice cold.

They were gassed. We didn’t sub much at all today on either side of the ball. The only position that we really dipped into was tight end (all four played).

The starters probably played close to 90% of the snaps and that number may be low. Our philosophy about bringing younger players along is always something I find interesting.

For the record, Bee did not play one snap. Hames and Thompson started and split snaps with Tyler and Maddox on the interior.

Reactions: marshall_U
It’s funny. I knew watching Green play “some arm chair QB, is going To mistake Green’s poise for not caring/showing effort.”

Honestly, is there nothing you guys won’t complain about??? I don’t understand why you choose a joyless life.

Reactions: pdbailey
I think we took our foot off the gas on offense for a while. Fire away is my philosophy.

D look poorly coached at times. It is the first game and a new coordinator, so we'll see if they make progress week to week.

Green can be a star. I see nothing but positive and tons of upside with him. The sky is the limit for that kid.

Agree, they came out completely flat...Fuller must not be that great of a coach to have that amount of talent with nothing to show for it (I understand Bee was out, but man did they look bad!) Maybe we didn’t realize how good we really had it with Heater.. he did just help upset Texas today.. at least we got the W but if that’s the Marshall team that shows up every week will finish middle of pack for sure.. Go HERD!
Whatever. That Miami-OH team will likely finish 1st or 2nd in their division and go bowling with a good record.

Sorry. Guess I shouldn't care we wilted down the stretch and almost blew a three TD lead against a team that failed to make a bowl last season.
They were better than a losing team last season and lost some close games. The returned most of that team just like we did ours, but we are also settling into new systems on both sides of the ball. We are fine. This was a good win on the road against a good team.

You do realize that Miami-OH is considered to be one of the best teams we play this season? As for the D, we missed Bee a lot in this game against a very experienced OL, but this was also our first game in a new defensive system and that usually results in some blown assignments early in the season. The mistakes were correctable and did not cost us a victory today against a good team.

We'll know more this time next week on how good of a win this was. Miami plays Cincinnati in a "home" game which will be played in the Bengals Stadium. Cincy beat UCLA tonight in the Rose Bowl in Chip Kelly's return to college coaching.

We won on the road against a team that should have beaten us last year in huntington, yet we find more reasons to complain. I'm not saying it was flawless, but with a redshirt freshman in there, id say we did OK. Defense, well they kinda did the same thing to us last year. Miami and Ohio are just two schools that most of the time gives us fits, one difference is, we won at their house with their team loaded just the same or more than ours...
I told everyone that Legg got blamed for a lot of things that were not his fault. Im also convinced Litton was a hard player to coach.

Last edited:
It’s funny. I knew watching Green play “some arm chair QB, is going To mistake Green’s poise for not caring/showing effort.”

First, no one said he wasn't showing effort, at least not in the context you're trying to use. People with normal social skills (not you) do not interpret those comments as something negative towards Green. They were instead complimenting his impressive skills and poise. He was in his first D-I game and he was as calm as if he was just tossing the ball around warming up before practice. The kid has an arm possibly stronger than Leftwitch's.

Everyone who has posted about Green ITT is impressed with him and his potential. Get some new reading glasses or have your tutor read/explain the posts to you, very slowly, so you will better understand them. Be sure to take Tylenol for headaches, Midol for cramps.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Doc in my opinion, has not in 9 seasons recruited Dline players 300+ lbs. You have to make an effort to stock these types of players! Speed is important but the ability to plug the middle is also critical! With Bee’s absence it showed!

I agree the defense looked gassed and confused in second half. But to say they played without intensity i'm not sure that's fair. That goal line stand was tremendous and when Miami got the ball with 3 minutes left they had Raglund in trouble all 4 downs. They came up BIG. Reminded me of last years bowl game. The offense sputtered and defense did what they needed to do at critical times to hold onto the win. Really the defense held them to 89 yrds. rushing. The 357 passing was because they had to throw.

That being said the middle of our defense has always been a weak area even with Heater. For some reason TE's running down the middle are free most of the time. It was interesting watching the game. Although the announcers were Miami partisans, they referred many times to video of last years game illustrating the exploitation of the middle of our defense with those same plays and no defenders near the receiver either year. You have to wonder why we seemed so ill prepared and confused for these plays especially with so many returning players.

Doc in my opinion, has not in 9 seasons recruited Dline players 300+ lbs. You have to make an effort to stock these types of players! Speed is important but the ability to plug the middle is also critical! With Bee’s absence it showed!

You think 300 lb d lineman grow on trees? These type kids don’t go to Marshall in the first place. As for Doc, why anyone expected anything different than what you saw last night is comical.

I understand all that but other than a couple huge defensive stops, they played very uninspired and appeared gassed. Ragland is a good QB but we will play others as good or better and better offensive teams than Miami this year.
The D had better buckle down or the talent of IG and the offense will be wasted and we will be another 6-6 team.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Glad to see the first sentence postgame is questioning the effort of our guys... It makes sense though, if anyone is uniquely qualified to judge whether an athlete is trying hard enough, its a middle aged dude behind a computer keyboard.

That said... I will join in questioning the defensive gameplan, which hasnt changed in at least the last 5 years. Get a lead, go into some soft two deep zone, give up a bunch of 15 yard pass plays, almost lose lead and hang on is not a good strategy. Also, blitzing a defensive back (or two) on every 3rd down is pretty easy to figure out. Offensive lines are pass blocking already and Ragland is a smart enough Qb to throw into the void.

The offense was better than i expected to be completely honest... New QB, new OC, lots of moving parts. Putting up 35 is fine.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT