ADVERTISEMENT

Typical Doc Holliday Football

I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING....He was wrong about Coach Dan....yet, like the LIBERAL he is...He will never admit it. Go HERD & Go TRUMP.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Remember when you insisted, repeatedly, that Marshall wouldn’t sign Dan as head coach, but rather, it would be Mike? You incessantly told us about how they were your fourteenth cousins, and Dan would not leave his high school daughter to move to Huntington.

How’d that turn out for you?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
A kid from Martinsburg wanted to be a Herd. Yes, he would have been a prop but the kid could play.
We went through that during the 2018 recruiting season about 25 times. If the recruit had been considered good enough by our coaches then he would have been offered. He could have still walked on and earned a scholarship spot in a couple of years like quite a few local recruits have in Doc's time as HC. FWIW, we have a legit 3-star DT sitting out as a NQ this year.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Agree, they came out completely flat...Fuller must not be that great of a coach to have that amount of talent with nothing to show for it (I understand Bee was out, but man did they look bad!) Maybe we didn’t realize how good we really had it with Heater.. he did just help upset Texas today.. at least we got the W but if that’s the Marshall team that shows up every week will finish middle of pack for sure.. Go HERD!
A kid from Martinsburg wanted to be a Herd. Yes, he would have been a prop but the kid could play.
which kid from Martinsburg & do they have any candidates that could play here that we should be looking at this year?

btw, did you know fromer Martinsburg QBTyson Bagent went 36-56 and 518 yards and 3 TDS in his first college football game. The word around the campfire is Walker and Doc don't get along.
Please keep us posted on this kids progress...I think it was 22jb that said he had actually coached against
Bagent in the playoffs and that he was the real deal.

But, if Doc doesn't like their coach, I guess we'll never see any of that M'burg talent join The Herd.

But, if Doc doesn't like their coach, I guess we'll never see any of that M'burg talent join The Herd.

Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg

Please keep us posted on this kids progress...I think it was 22jb that said he had actually coached against
Bagent in the playoffs and that he was the real deal.

No, please don’t. If y’all want to discuss D2 players from Martinsburg you’re welcome to start your own board. That topic has run its course.

Worse results in week 2.

May as well save some board space and recycle this thread for discussion...

Cincy whipped the Hawkskins. Lol!

I wonder what happened to their NFL quarterback considering they scored zero points. I’ll be honest the way we played in that game against a mediocre FBS opponent worries me way more than yesterday’s game.

You could see it from the start Marshall had zero emotion in the EKU game. It was inferior opponent and marshall played like it. It happens.

But the Miami game was far more troubling. We legitimately could have lost that game to an opponent we should have beaten by 21.

I wonder what happened to their NFL quarterback considering they scored zero points. I’ll be honest the way we played in that game against a mediocre FBS opponent worries me way more than yesterday’s game.

You could see it from the start Marshall had zero emotion in the EKU game. It was inferior opponent and marshall played like it. It happens.

But the Miami game was far more troubling. We legitimately could have lost that game to an opponent we should have beaten by 21.
Well, not happy at all with the play on the field last night! That being said:
We will have this week to work on the multiple miscues
SUC appears beatable. Have to play to our potential to have a chance.
More than 2 TO’s we lose

Well, not happy at all with the play on the field last night! That being said:
We will have this week to work on the multiple miscues
SUC appears beatable. Have to play to our potential to have a chance.
More than 2 TO’s we lose
Honestly I will be ok if we just keep it respectable. Not sure this team is ready for this kind of game, definite growing pains with coaching and the kids adapting. I would be elated if we some how walked out with a 7 point loss or 1 point win. We will see how good our coaches are this week.

Honestly I will be ok if we just keep it respectable. Not sure this team is ready for this kind of game, definite growing pains with coaching and the kids adapting. I would be elated if we some how walked out with a 7 point loss or 1 point win. We will see how good our coaches are this week.

Hey, if we’re scared, need to get a dog. Play them straight up.
What happened to anytime, anywhere?
18 starters returning should be worth something.

Hey, if we’re scared, need to get a dog. Play them straight up.
What happened to anytime, anywhere?
18 starters returning should be worth something.
Didn't say anything about being scared, we shouldn't be scared to play anyone in D1A, I was merely speaking what I think is true. Look at 2000, we played the same calibre of non conference, we were not ready as a team for it with a young QB etc, but we played it, win or lose. Thats more or less what I meant. I agree about the 18 starters, just wish at this point it was showing some domination as a result on both sides of the ball. Defense has shown weakness over the middle, but that may be just a result of the game plan, heater was burned over the middle alot too. Offense shows flashes, needs to show more of it. Gel of coordinator and his troops may take a few more games.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Didn't say anything about being scared, we shouldn't be scared to play anyone in D1A, I was merely speaking what I think is true. Look at 2000, we played the same calibre of non conference, we were not ready as a team for it with a young QB etc, but we played it, win or lose. Thats more or less what I meant. I agree about the 18 starters, just wish at this point it was showing some domination as a result on both sides of the ball. Defense has shown weakness over the middle, but that may be just a result of the game plan, heater was burned over the middle alot too. Offense shows flashes, needs to show more of it. Gel of coordinator and his troops may take a few more games.

Didn’t mean you specifically, just as a program in general.

Didn’t mean you specifically, just as a program in general.
As a program, they should want these games and should feel they can win them, boise, ucf, etc has shown that is attainable, and we did once too. Doc needs to rally his coaches and his kids, and I get some of our fans don't like him, but he has shown that our program can and will compete against mid level p5 schools. If we want validation, we need to knock off USC at their place, it will mean more than beating NCSU at home.

but he has shown that our program can and will compete against mid level p5 schools.

What do you use as proof for that?

2010:

Ohio State - we lost 45-7. But they were elite instead of mid-level.
wvu- we lost 24-21. Yes.

2011:

wvu - we lost 34-13. Nope.
Tech - we lost 30-10. Nope.

2012:

wvu - we lost 69-34. Nope.
purdue - we lost 51-41, but Purdue was one of the 12 worst P5 teams out of about 60 at that time, so they were far from a "mid level P5." Nope.

2013:

Virginia Tech - we lost 29-21. Yes.
Maryland - They were 11th out of 14 teams in the ACC, which is tough to consider "mid-level." Sagarin had them as the 11th worst P5 team. Nope.

2015:

Purdue - They went 2-10. Nope.

2016:

Louisville - Nope.
Pitt - We lost 43-27, but we were competitive until the end. Yes.

2017:

NC State - Nope.

So under Doc, we are 2-10 against P5s. Of those 12 games, 8 were against a mid-level P5 team. We were competitive, not won but just competitive, in 3 out of 8 of those games.

2-10 against P5 teams. Competitive in 3 out of 8 games against mid-level P5 teams. That doesn't give me much of a track record to work with.

Were pretty competitive against NC State last year. Argument could easily be made that they were above a mid level P5 team!!

Were pretty competitive against NC State last year. Argument could easily be made that they were above a mid level P5 team!!

They weren't one of the top 20 P5 teams. They weren't one of the bottom 20 P5 teams. Just how many "above mid level P5" teams do you think there should be?

And losing by 3 possessions and being down by double-digits for the majority of the second half isn't competitive. Hell, EKU's margin of defeat was smaller than Marshall's margin of defeat against NC State.

They weren't one of the top 20 P5 teams. They weren't one of the bottom 20 P5 teams. Just how many "above mid level P5" teams do you think there should be?

And losing by 3 possessions and being down by double-digits for the majority of the second half isn't competitive. Hell, EKU's margin of defeat was smaller than Marshall's margin of defeat against NC State.

Final 2017 AP poll following the playoffs found NC State ranked 23rd. Now, eliminating the non P5 teams who finished ahead of State, South Fla., Boise and UCF, that would put NC State at Number 20, and, thus, NOT in the mid level of P5 teams, but in the top 20 P5 teams (your criteria). Unless, of course, you cannot count to 20.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Final 2017 AP poll following the playoffs found NC State ranked 23rd. Now, eliminating the non P5 teams who finished ahead of State, South Fla., Boise and UCF, that would put NC State at Number 20, and, thus, NOT in the mid level of P5 teams, but in the top 20 P5 teams (your criteria). Unless, of course, you cannot count to 20.

I can count just fine. You just can't argue logically.

First, here are the final Sagarin rankings after the playoffs:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2017/team/

NC State isn't one of the top 20 P5 teams.

But lets give you every benefit of the doubt possible and pretend that they were. Even if they were in the top 20, which they weren't, Marshall still lost to them by three possessions. They were down by double-digits for the vast majority of the second half (including the entire fourth quarter).

How is losing by three possessions considered being competitive?

Remember, the discussion wasn't if NC State was a top 20 team or not (which it wasn't). It was if Marshall was competitive against mid-level P5 teams. Losing by three possessions in a game in which you were down double-digits for the last 23 minutes of the game (more than a quarter and a half), top 20 P5 or not (which they weren't), isn't being competitive.

Want to go back and change your argument?

I can count just fine. You just can't argue logically.

First, here are the final Sagarin rankings after the playoffs:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2017/team/

NC State isn't one of the top 20 P5 teams.

But lets give you every benefit of the doubt possible and pretend that they were. Even if they were in the top 20, which they weren't, Marshall still lost to them by three possessions. They were down by double-digits for the vast majority of the second half (including the entire fourth quarter).

How is losing by three possessions considered being competitive?

Remember, the discussion wasn't if NC State was a top 20 team or not (which it wasn't). It was if Marshall was competitive against mid-level P5 teams. Losing by three possessions in a game in which you were down double-digits for the last 23 minutes of the game (more than a quarter and a half), top 20 P5 or not (which they weren't), isn't being competitive.

Want to go back and change your argument?

olde - who cares what YAGS thinks? The less attention paid, the better. We are all entitled to our opinions. Let’s see how THIS year’s Herd does these next two games. YAGS is big on stats, arguing and thumping his chest after he defeats yet another contender for most annoying person on this board.....
Go Herd!!

Reactions: pdbailey and 19MU88

2010:

wvu- we lost 24-21. Yes.

2011:

2012:

purdue - we lost 51-41, but Purdue was one of the 12 worst P5 teams out of about 60 at that time, so they were far from a "mid level P5." Nope.

2013:

Maryland - They were 11th out of 14 teams in the ACC, which is tough to consider "mid-level." Sagarin had them as the 11th worst P5 team. Nope.

2015:

2016:

Louisville - Nope.

2017:

NC State - Nope.

So under Doc, we are 2-10 against P5s. Of those 12 games, 8 were against a mid-level P5 team. We were competitive, not won but just competitive, in 3 out of 8 of those games.

2-10 against P5 teams. Competitive in 3 out of 8 games against mid-level P5 teams. That doesn't give me much of a track record to work with.
3 games won, not 2. UL, Purdue, Maryland. UL and Maryland were mid level. Maryland made a bowl at 7-5, UL won a share of the big east..so we can agree to disagree yet again. Purdue was not mid level, but you said P5 in general.

Its hard to determine anything from a team's first game. The biggest changes and improvements in a season are from week 1 to week 2

We are all entitled to our opinions. !!

Yes, you are, even when facts refute those foolish opinions.

Let’s see how THIS year’s Herd does these next two games.

Well, that wasn't the discussion, now was it, grandpa?

YAGS is big on stats, arguing and thumping his chest after he defeats yet another contender for most annoying person on this board.....

Did you just call the other guy annoying? Nice move, moron. I finally get rid of the Fever sitting around all day waiting for me to post something, but then I get you and 1988 doing the same. How pathetic is it for you guys to have to wait around to post until I do?

UL and Maryland were mid level. Maryland made a bowl at 7-5, UL won a share of the big east..so we can agree to disagree yet again.

Maryland was not mid-level. Again, they finished 11th out of 14 teams in the ACC. Sagarin had them as one of the worst 11 or 12 P5 teams in the country. That isn't mid-level. That is well in the bottom 20%.Winning a share of the Big East means nothing when you consider that 75% of the 8 teams in that conference were one game away from winning that same share. As it finished, 3 out of 8 teams won a share. Louisville was ranked as the 48th best P5 team in the country. That puts them just about in the bottom quarter. Mid-level? Not quite.

2010:

wvu- we lost 24-21. Yes.

2011:

2012:

2013:

2015:

2016:

Louisville - Nope.

2017:

NC State - Nope.

The problem with moral victories is that some fans think those mean something... as your stats here show, there really hasn't been any victories to hang your hat on the past 8 years. That in itself means Doc is mediocre. Competing with P5 schools... anyone can do that, at least anyone noteworthy. 0-2 the next two weeks but being competitive doesn't mean anything. At what point should we demand to win 1 out of 4/5 against mid level P5 schools?

That being said, what exactly are realistic expectations from Doc or any other coach? Considering facility, location, budget, recruiting base... I think maybe he has done pretty well if expectations are realistic. So I can see the argument of both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT