ADVERTISEMENT

What’s up with high school football in WV

Herdfaninnoke

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2015
Some absolutely crazy high schools scores out of WV tonight. What up over there?

Last edited:
High schools are recruiting with the new transfer rule. Going to 4 classes next year, it could get worse. WV has the least number of high schools in the history of the state, so not sure why classification expansion is needed.
It's not so much a numbers of schools situation, it's more about the discrepancy in school size. I think four is the right number to create the most competitive balance within each division. The basketball tournaments the past few years have had really good semifinal and championship games for the most part.

Your concern is valid but this is really to create a chance for schools with under 300 kids to have something to play for.

It's not so much a numbers of schools situation, it's more about the discrepancy in school size. I think four is the right number to create the most competitive balance within each division. The basketball tournaments the past few years have had really good semifinal and championship games for the most part.

Your concern is valid but this is really to create a chance for schools with under 300 kids to have something to play for.
86-0 , 93-7, 84-6, 47-0, 41-0 Yikes.

Feel bad for these poor kids on these losing teams.
I’m hearing one of those teams has 16 new transfers. College football is out of control and now WV high school football is out of control. 👎🏻

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
WV having four classes is dumb. By my count, WV has 114 public high schools, plus a shifting number of private schools that top out at maybe 20. So 130 or so. So 32 teams per class? Being the best of 32 teams is not a "state champion". Its the same thing as people that want the "group of 5" to be its own thing. That is not enough programs to call winning it a "national champion".

The recruiting deal has gotten out of hand. It has always gone on, but quietly and on a small scale. Now its open and full on. Hurricane has 17 kids that don't live in Putnam County playing there. It ruins the point of HS sports, which is supposed to be about the community and about a generation of people from that community.

I agree with all of the previous posts. Plus:
* Some really poor coaching, and some really good coaching.
* Fewer and fewer number of male students to potentially play football. Not a new problem.
* The ridiculous scores have been routine for a number of years but it reached new hieghts last night.
* More and more the kid with average ability doesn’t want to commit 12 months a year to any sport. I was a basketball player who played football, hell I would not have given up my summer for football.
* If the SSAC was smart, as a body it’s not, 8-man football or even 6- man should be an option for many schools in the state.
* In the areas of the state that are more urban the coaching available at a school will determine the amount of transfers, in and out.
*The financial aside, consolidation continues to haunt WV.

Transfers are a big part and the other part is some of these schools are having a hard time getting kids that want to play. I'm not attempting to be political, but you have to be completely blind not to see how many more boys are effeminate now.

WV doesn't have the amount of students that other states have so factor that negatively affects the already small talent pool is going to be damaging.

Reactions: Elkview and herd66
Nitro’s coach was suspended 4 games for recruiting. Now you can see it paid off as they thumped st albans. Capital and south Charleston also got throttled.
Nitro coach not suspended for four games! Nitro lost some “flex” days next summer

I heard Hurricane has no starters that are actually from Hurricane.

Ironton has done this for decades. I went to HS in the early 80s and we just called them the Lawrence County All-Stars.
Hurricane did this in softball when they won all those state championships. They were called the Kanawha County All Stars. I believe their baseball team usually has several transfers too.

I heard Hurricane has no starters that are actually from Hurricane.

Ironton has done this for decades. I went to HS in the early 80s and we just called them the Lawrence County All-Stars.
Went to Rock Hill and Ironton would recruit any player worth a damn away from your team. For our squad it was Danny Cox at QB.

WV having four classes is dumb. By my count, WV has 114 public high schools, plus a shifting number of private schools that top out at maybe 20. So 130 or so. So 32 teams per class? Being the best of 32 teams is not a "state champion". Its the same thing as people that want the "group of 5" to be its own thing. That is not enough programs to call winning it a "national champion".
Let's count the number of ways your post is stupid, Samantha @The Real SamC :

1) 32 teams isn't enough to be a state champion, yet nobody ever claims that 30 teams in MLB shouldn't be "world" champions. Did you start the petition to not call them "world" champions?
2) 32 teams isn't enough to be a state champion, but nobody argued that 100 teams in FBS (1-A) in the '90s wasn't enough to be a national champion. Considering there are 50 states, if 100 teams is enough to be a national champion, one would think 32 is enough to be a state champion.
3) You claim that having four classes for 132 teams is dumb. The other options are 42 with three classes or 60 each in two classes. Is 42 teams that much different than 32 teams? 60 teams would pit schools with vastly different enrollments against each other. The only reasonable response would be three classes of about 42 teams, but as I pointed out, isn't much different than your fear of 32 teams.

• Haha
Reactions: CamJoanBaller
Went to Rock Hill and Ironton would recruit any player worth a damn away from your team. For our squad it was Danny Cox at QB.

Well they took Mark Snyder from South Point for my jr and sr year. His senior year they were 14-1 losing the state championship game. They won like 80 consecutive regular season games at one point in the late 70s thru the 80s

Reactions: mlblack16.
Hurricanes coach is as crooked as a dogs hind leg. I am shocked the SSAC hasn't come down hard on him.
Can't all legal now.

§18-2-25e. Athletic eligibility of transfer students.​

(a) The West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission shall modify its rule, prior to the 2023-2024 school year, to allow students to transfer schools and retain athletic eligibility at least one time during a student’s four years of secondary school, inclusive of grades nine through 12.

Most counties simply require a student out of district to provide his own transportation. Anybody who goes by any school in the state knows that half of the kids are doing that anyway. In the most populated parts of the state with AAA schools, which is to say along the I-64 corridor between Huntington and Charleston; along I-79 between Clarksburg and the 'hole; and in the eastern panhandle, kids have plenty of choices within driving distance.

When I was at Marshall, we had an intramural basketball team that played in a campus league. We were terrible and lost every game so for the end of season tournament, we brought in some guys that had actually played some college ball. We won the championship.

Midland is saying this is the first HS game ever played at Edwards Stadium. I thought that was wrong, but after thinking about it, I cannot remember any. There was a religious college in Kentucky that used the place for a couple of years back in the 90s, but never a HS game. Of course, back in the day, Fairfield was shared with both HHS and HEHS.

If people put in as much effort about bitching about these scores as they do the state assessment scores from schools that kids are transferring from and to, maybe that would help with the picture.

Logan has recruited for years
Martinsburg has recruited for years
Private schools across the state.

Now its a level playing field.

If people put in as much effort about bitching about these scores as they do the state assessment scores from schools that kids are transferring from and to, maybe that would help with the picture.

Logan has recruited for years
Martinsburg has recruited for years
Private schools across the state.

Now its a level playing field.
It's a level playing field for a handful of programs, mostly at the Triple A level. It doesn't help most of the smaller schools. Frankly, I think it says more about parents than anything else. Little Johnny is a superstar and too good to play for his district school. We're gonna drive him 30-60 minutes down the road so he can get a trophy. Maybe the college coaches will notice him and he can be all we want him to be. LOL!
Kudos to all the coaches and schools who don't get sucked into this.
I had three kids play high school sports, one in college. No way in hell would we have ever considered transferring them to another school. I doubt they would have gone - they saw the big picture.

It's a level playing field for a handful of programs, mostly at the Triple A level. It doesn't help most of the smaller schools. Frankly, I think it says more about parents than anything else. Little Johnny is a superstar and too good to play for his district school. We're gonna drive him 30-60 minutes down the road so he can get a trophy. Maybe the college coaches will notice him and he can be all we want him to be. LOL!
Kudos to all the coaches and schools who don't get sucked into this.
I had three kids play high school sports, one in college. No way in hell would we have ever considered transferring them to another school. I doubt they would have gone - they saw the big picture.
I'm not disagreeing by any means but some things have changed. Look down in Logan County where Austin Ball started. Won a state championship and left to go to a bigger program to get more exposure. He ended up going to George Mason. If he'd stayed in LA he would have ended up in Concord, Glenville, WV State etc... MU or WVU probably offer at some point but no guarantee as at the time I had heard one was going to offer a preferred walk on spot. I think its admirable to stay in your hometown when you can but things just don't work the same anymore...

I'm not disagreeing by any means but some things have changed. Look down in Logan County where Austin Ball started. Won a state championship and left to go to a bigger program to get more exposure. He ended up going to George Mason. If he'd stayed in LA he would have ended up in Concord, Glenville, WV State etc... MU or WVU probably offer at some point but no guarantee as at the time I had heard one was going to offer a preferred walk on spot. I think its admirable to stay in your hometown when you can but things just don't work the same anymore...
If kids are good enough, the coaches will find them. Many kids send tapes and bio's to coaches on their own. It is a different time, agree with you; but I don't think its for the better - on many fronts.

Let's count the number of ways your post is stupid, Samantha @The Real SamC :

1) 32 teams isn't enough to be a state champion, yet nobody ever claims that 30 teams in MLB shouldn't be "world" champions. Did you start the petition to not call them "world" champions?
2) 32 teams isn't enough to be a state champion, but nobody argued that 100 teams in FBS (1-A) in the '90s wasn't enough to be a national champion. Considering there are 50 states, if 100 teams is enough to be a national champion, one would think 32 is enough to be a state champion.
3) You claim that having four classes for 132 teams is dumb. The other options are 42 with three classes or 60 each in two classes. Is 42 teams that much different than 32 teams? 60 teams would pit schools with vastly different enrollments against each other. The only reasonable response would be three classes of about 42 teams, but as I pointed out, isn't much different than your fear of 32 teams.
Never forget: Sam spews false bullshit, but with a lot of conviction! So it balances out

Limited talent concentrated on a few teams. BIg discrepency even in AAA schools. Some big and some are actually fair small for a large division. Not very many teams. That would be my guess.

How many AAA teams are there? Last I saw they reange in size from around 800 students to over 2,000. That is a big difference. Then, put recruiting talent to a few schools and there you go.

What are there about 20 AAA schools? In NC 32 teams from the big school division make the playoffs. 16 in the East and 16 in the West. Winners of the East and West meet for the championship. WV's AAA division is more like two conferences, not really a state championship. Then throw in about 2 to 4 teams having all the best talent and there you go. Looks like a joke to me.

I think Jefferson HS is the largest WV HS at 2200 students. Last I heard, Midland had around 2K, Huntington HS has around 1600. Spring Valley is around 960 these days.

The big schools of 1000 or more will be 4A next season. Let the recruiting wars heat up.

The scores were much more inline with a typical Friday night last night. GW took down Hurricane and Nitro lost to Hoover. Both losing teams spanked opponents earlier this year, good to see them get some payback with a L.

Can't all legal now.

§18-2-25e. Athletic eligibility of transfer students.​

(a) The West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission shall modify its rule, prior to the 2023-2024 school year, to allow students to transfer schools and retain athletic eligibility at least one time during a student’s four years of secondary school, inclusive of grades nine through 12.

Most counties simply require a student out of district to provide his own transportation. Anybody who goes by any school in the state knows that half of the kids are doing that anyway. In the most populated parts of the state with AAA schools, which is to say along the I-64 corridor between Huntington and Charleston; along I-79 between Clarksburg and the 'hole; and in the eastern panhandle, kids have plenty of choices within driving distance.
The recruitment is still illegal, which is why Nitro and Winfield both received sanctions from the SSAC this summer.

Hurricane as a community will eventually revolt since their kids don't get to play anymore.

Reactions: 19MU88
Marshall had offered before he left.

Reactions: 19MU88
I think Jefferson HS is the largest WV HS at 2200 students. Last I heard, Midland had around 2K, Huntington HS has around 1600. Spring Valley is around 960 these days.

The big schools of 1000 or more will be 4A next season. Let the recruiting wars heat up.
Jefferson was split into two schools due the enrollment growth, Jefferson (formerly Jefferson County) now has 1,457, while the new Washington has 1,309. Or at least had, as they only release the numbers every four years and this the last year before new numbers come out.

The largest school in the state is Morgantown, which is 1,851, followed by Cabell Midland; Huntington is 5th, Spring Valley is 25th.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT