ADVERTISEMENT

WVU budget deficit

Don't worry, the state taxpayers will pay to subsidize the sons and daughters of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and northern Virginia, so they can go to school out-of-state for LESS than their own state schools charge.

WVU, where YOU pay and OTHERS benefit.

WVU has no desire to "merge" with MU, or any school, nor any interest in its various branches. It is all about the 'hole. It took over Tech to run it into the ground, the Beckley thing was just a way to destroy the development of the Marshall-Concord-Bluefield State Erma Byrd Center, which already served the educational needs of that area. Tech won't last another 10 years, nor sadly will the Byrd Center. If WVU fully had its way, all state colleges, including MU would be shut down.

Remember MU and WVU were merged back during the Gas Cap era. WVU refused to cooperate with MU on any subject. Once it became clear that the board (half MU members) appointed to oversee the thing was unwilling to shut MU down, it had the next governor come up with the crazy higher ed system we have today.

WVU's goal is to aggrandize all programs to the 'hole, and prevent the development of programs elsewhere, even if they help the state ("I have no interest in the health of West Virginians, my only interest in in the health of the WVU Medical Corporation. - E Gordon Gee, liar, racist, and religious bigot). Its goal is to use that money to subsidize its majority out-of-state student body with ultra-low tuition, in most cases lower than in-state back where these drunks came from. Combined with virtually open admissions (for most New Jersites its not WVU or Rutgers, Rutgers turned them down, its WVU or Montclair State, same in the other states where the type of students WVU wants (NON-Appalachians) come from).

Because WVU is where YOU pay, and OTHERS benefit.

I could see an outcome where the state of West Virginia ends up with 5 total higher education entities...

WVU (which has a seemingly never-ending state credit line at its disposal)
Marshall (which is too big, and too accomplished for WVU to shut down via Charleston at this point)
Fairmont State (seemingly growing and in a part of the state where it can accept WVU's culls)
Glenville State (seemingly has a great relationship with those in Charleston and a few very very deep pocket donors)
Bluefield State (no other college serves that part of the state and they can take just about any kid with a pulse)

Everyone else can go kick rocks.

WVU is also trying to take over health care in WV. WVU Health is purchasing/partnering with hospitals across the mountain state prompting CAMC to Start Vandalia Health which is also purchasing hospitals And just bought Mon Health in Morgantown. St mary’s and Cabell have gone together to try and keep WVU Health out of the tri state area. The evil empire continues on all fronts.

Consolidation talk will start soon. WVU-Huntington.
giphy.gif

Don't worry, the state taxpayers will pay to subsidize the sons and daughters of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and northern Virginia, so they can go to school out-of-state for LESS than their own state schools charge.

WVU, where YOU pay and OTHERS benefit.
It is cheaper for PA residents to attend Marshall than the state schools in PA?

Reactions: CamJoanBaller
It is also EASIER for PA residents to be admitted to WVU than to quality higher ed. entities in that State, like PITT, PSU, etc. Probably same thing applies for New Jersey students also. You think that all of that large throng of NJ Students temporarily residing in Morganhole are there for the CULTURE??

I grew up in Pennsylvania... When it was time for me to go to college (2003), Marshall was cheaper than Penn State and Pitt. I was fortunate that I was a very good student and had scholarships lined up no matter where I went, but just by the sticker price Marshall was cheaper back then, even out of state.

I grew up in Pennsylvania... When it was time for me to go to college (2003), Marshall was cheaper than Penn State and Pitt. I was fortunate that I was a very good student and had scholarships lined up no matter where I went, but just by the sticker price Marshall was cheaper back then, even out of state.
I graduated from MU in 1982, had three Yankee fraternity brothers from up North who found their way to Marshall for the reasons you mentioned. Two were great guys, the other a prick!

It is also EASIER for PA residents to be admitted to WVU than to quality higher ed. entities in that State, like PITT, PSU, etc. Probably same thing applies for New Jersey students also. You think that all of that large throng of NJ Students temporarily residing in Morganhole are there for the CULTURE??
True, but Penn State and Pitt are not state schools Getting into main campus is difficult, but they have tons of branch campuses.

Penn State and Pitt are not state schools, they tend to be more expensive than the real state schools.

True, but Penn State and Pitt are not state schools Getting into main campus is difficult, but they have tons of branch campuses.
Trust me, no one in the world chooses to go to a Pitt or Penn State off campus unless they are an athlete looking for a chance to play, desperate to stay at home with their parents, or have no other options... Where I grew up Pitt Bradford, Pitt Titusville and Penn State Behrend were everyone's safety schools and the butts of many a joke.

Penn State and Pitt are not state schools, they tend to be more expensive than the real state schools.
This is true, but they are the two largest universities in the state and the only two I had any interest in attending, like a lot of PA kids.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Trust me, no one in the world chooses to go to a Pitt or Penn State off campus unless they are an athlete looking for a chance to play, desperate to stay at home with their parents, or have no other options... Where I grew up Pitt Bradford, Pitt Titusville and Penn State Behrend were everyone's safety schools and the butts of many a joke.

This is true, but they are the two largest universities in the state and the only two I had any interest in attending, like a lot of PA kids.
"Villanova has entered the chat..."

I'm kidding, lol.

The branch campuses for Penn State are much different now than they were in 2003, I do not understand how Titusville has a branch campus for Pitt, there is nothing up there.

There is a ton of truth to this.

wvu admits almost anyone with a pulse and if you actually attend and graduate, you'll hold a degree from a middle of the pack university.
Then you go home and use it, or not, as wvu doesn't grow at nearly the rate it would if WV were actually decently run for young graduates.

MU actually has been listed as a great college buy, meaning you get a good return on your investment in tuition. I liked it for a multitude of reasons, but mostly because it wasn't so small you felt like it was a big HS and not too large you're just a number. The campus was small and easy to get around in, and the academics were challenging if you wanted it.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
There is a ton of truth to this.

wvu admits almost anyone with a pulse and if you actually attend and graduate, you'll hold a degree from a middle of the pack university.
Then you go home and use it, or not, as wvu doesn't grow at nearly the rate it would if WV were actually decently run for young graduates.

MU actually has been listed as a great college buy, meaning you get a good return on your investment in tuition. I liked it for a multitude of reasons, but mostly because it wasn't so small you felt like it was a big HS and not too large you're just a number. The campus was small and easy to get around in, and the academics were challenging if you wanted it.
Having been on UK's campus last week, makes me appreciate how compact Marshall's campus is. That would be a huge selling point for me if I were a
student.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT