ADVERTISEMENT

Nor in the North either evidently...

Serious question - you seem to turn every one of these discussions into the moral superiority of the North. Do you believe immigrants in the North were treated better than slaves in the South?
I do what now? When have I said something positive about the north in this thread? Where have I in general? Unless you consider a statement like “the South started the civil war to preserve slavery” to be me turning a discussion into the moral superiority of the North. And even then I usually follow it up with “which is the biggest self-own in American history because the North wasn’t going to do anything about it anyway.”

I just figured it’s because you wanted to showcase the Democrat platform from the 1850s
Nope. Just waiting to see if any of you ignorant cons would tell us that if he didn't want to be whipped like a dog, he should have made better life choices. SleauxTard.

I do what now? When have I said something positive about the north in this thread? Where have I in general? Unless you consider a statement like “the South started the civil war to preserve slavery” to be me turning a discussion into the moral superiority of the North. And even then I usually follow it up with “which is the biggest self-own in American history because the North wasn’t going to do anything about it anyway.”

Serious question - you seem to turn every one of these discussions into the moral superiority of the North. Do you believe immigrants in the North were treated better than slaves in the South?

Better? Yeah they were treated better but still terribly. Slaves were regularly raped, beaten, murdered, saw their families ripped apart with no recourse, and had no hope to escape the system of slavery (manumission existed sometimes but was fully at the whim of the owner.)

Are you arguing that slaves were not treated worse than immigrants? Like, yes, some immigrants went through the same depredations slaves did. But it was more common, worse, and with much less hope for betterment for slaves than for immigrants.

That isn’t because northerners were morally superior. If most of the rich guys in the north had lived in the south they probably would’ve owned slaves.

Better? Yeah they were treated better but still terribly. Slaves were regularly raped, beaten, murdered, saw their families ripped apart with no recourse, and had no hope to escape the system of slavery (manumission existed sometimes but was fully at the whim of the owner.)

Are you arguing that indentured female servants weren't raped? Are you arguing that families weren't ripped apart in the North because of disabling and often fatal mistreatment of cheap immigrant labor? Weren't the orphanages overflowing?

Are you arguing that sex abuse isn't a component of cheap foreign labor today? Slavery still exists today but in a different form.

Remember when Trump mentioned coyotes and the liberal press mocked him because they had no clue what he was talking about? Probably because no one else had been talking about it.

Are you arguing that it was common for slaveowners to beat and murder their expensive chattel whose sole purpose was to generate revenue rather than being a burden to those very slaveowners?

Are you arguing that slaves were not treated worse than immigrants? Like, yes, some immigrants went through the same depredations slaves did. But it was more common, worse, and with much less hope for betterment for slaves than for immigrants.

While slavery was and is dehumanizing I'm not buying into the emotionally charged talking points that you posted. Did they happen? Of course. Was it as common as you perceive? Probably not.

That isn’t because northerners were morally superior. If most of the rich guys in the north had lived in the south they probably would’ve owned slaves.

Or were rich because they traded slaves...

Are you arguing that indentured female servants weren't raped? Are you arguing that families weren't ripped apart in the North because of disabling and often fatal mistreatment of cheap immigrant labor? Weren't the orphanages overflowing?

Are you arguing that sex abuse isn't a component of cheap foreign labor today? Slavery still exists today but in a different form.

Remember when Trump mentioned coyotes and the liberal press mocked him because they had no clue what he was talking about? Probably because no one else had been talking about it.

Are you arguing that it was common for slaveowners to beat and murder their expensive chattel whose sole purpose was to generate revenue rather than being a burden to those very slaveowners?

While slavery was and is dehumanizing I'm not buying into the emotionally charged talking points that you posted. Did they happen? Of course. Was it as common as you perceive? Probably not.

Or were rich because they traded slaves...

You’re mostly imagining things we disagree on. I said those things happened to immigrants. They happened more to slaves. You’re the one who asked who had it worse. It’s pretty clear who had it worse, even though both had it bad. Any discussion of the lot that slaves and immigrants went through is probably going to be pretty charged.

And yes slavery still exists. I think I’ve read that more people are in slavery now than in the peak of American slavery. That’s awful. Is your point that we shouldn’t name any buildings after the guys who have slaves now either? I’m on board.

You’re mostly imagining things we disagree on.

I'm not so sure about that. I like you and think you're intelligent, albeit a little too emotional at times... I just try to get you to look at things from a different, and maybe uncomfortable, viewpoint.

I think I’ve read that more people are in slavery now than in the peak of American slavery.

Is that inside the US or worldwide? If worldwide that goes to the heart of my point - so many think that slavery was only practiced in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT