ADVERTISEMENT

1969-1970 football

I have tried Google, etc. I cannot find anything listed for "freshmen" (maybe it's because they were not eligible). I knew many of them......but they are not listed as being in the plane crash.
~
So this is why I reached out to Herd Nation for possible help in locating the freshmen roster.

Always here you go: Freshman 1970
Ackerman, Don
Arrasmith, Jerry
Ballard, Joe
Blake, Terry
Canada, Danny
DeLeonardis, Richard
Fedders, Rick
Foulk, Steve
Greer, Mike
Hall, John
Johnson, Steve
Karl, Keith
Kerr, Randy
Loding, Arthur "Ace"
Lovejoy, Douglas
Meckstroth, Rick
Miller, Bob
McCoy, David
Oliver, Reggie
Polcyn, Dan
Ralston, Bill
Reddock, Ronald
Romano, Dave
Rothgeb, Jon
Simmons, Richard
Smyth, Tom
Walsh, David
Wetzel, Mike
Wilson, Ed
Wright, Charles
All these players were the "Freshman" team of 1970. This list taken from the Marshall University Media Guide, 1970. 1969 Fresman were Sophomores on the plane crash.

Always here you go: Freshman 1970
Ackerman, Don
Arrasmith, Jerry
Ballard, Joe
Blake, Terry
Canada, Danny
DeLeonardis, Richard
Fedders, Rick
Foulk, Steve
Greer, Mike
Hall, John
Johnson, Steve
Karl, Keith
Kerr, Randy
Loding, Arthur "Ace"
Lovejoy, Douglas
Meckstroth, Rick
Miller, Bob
McCoy, David
Oliver, Reggie
Polcyn, Dan
Ralston, Bill
Reddock, Ronald
Romano, Dave
Rothgeb, Jon
Simmons, Richard
Smyth, Tom
Walsh, David
Wetzel, Mike
Wilson, Ed
Wright, Charles
All these players were the "Freshman" team of 1970. This list taken from the Marshall University Media Guide, 1970. 1969 Fresman were Sophomores on the plane crash.
~
You may have misunderstood......I wanted 1969-1970 freshmen (not 1970-1971). Would you have that?

OK sorry about that. The 1969 Freshmen were Sophomores on the 1970 team. Do you want the list of 1970 Sophomores to see who had been Freshmen in 1969? I won't know if it's complete - players who quit, didn't return, injuries, etc.

OK sorry about that. The 1969 Freshmen were Sophomores on the 1970 team. Do you want the list of 1970 Sophomores to see who had been Freshmen in 1969? I won't know if it's complete - players who quit, didn't return, injuries, etc.
~
No "only" the players who were freshmen in the "fall" of 69 season.

OK Always maybe this will help. These are the Sophomore players on the 1970 team - they were Freshmen in 1969.
Blake, Mike
Brautigan, Rich
Calvin, Jon
Carter, Ed
Cottrell, Stuart
Crabtree, Jack
Foley, Dennis
Harris, Art
Hill, Bobby Joe
Hood, Joe
Jordan, Felix
Lajterman, Marcelo
Morgan, Gary
Oden, Paul
Saylor, Al
VanHorn, Robert
Wilson, Freddy
Young, John
List may be incomplete. Does this help?

Also Always you have my curiosity. Why the interest in who the Freshmen players were in 1969?

Me too. The Perry Moss scandal came to light just before the start of the '68 season. So, Coach Tolley,
who was an asst coach for Moss, was promoted and his inaugural season would have been 1969. Shoebridge was a
sophomore, but several players on the above list (Hood, Crabtree, Lajterman & Harris stand out in my head) would have been
freshman that season. Marshall had a "Freshman" team @ that time......weren't Freshman ineligible to play varsity prior to our
being granted an exemption prior to the 1971 post-crash era.

Correct W-S. Prior to the 1970 tragedy Freshmen played on Freshmen teams for football. The NCAA granted us permission in 1971 and that opened it up to all for the 1972-1973 season.

OK Always maybe this will help. These are the Sophomore players on the 1970 team - they were Freshmen in 1969.
Blake, Mike
Brautigan, Rich
Calvin, Jon
Carter, Ed
Cottrell, Stuart
Crabtree, Jack
Foley, Dennis
Harris, Art
Hill, Bobby Joe
Hood, Joe
Jordan, Felix
Lajterman, Marcelo
Morgan, Gary
Oden, Paul
Saylor, Al
VanHorn, Robert
Wilson, Freddy
Young, John
List may be incomplete. Does this help?
~
No sir....I "only" want to see the "freshmen" roster for the fall of 69. I am not interested in who may or may not have played in the fall of 1970. I hope you can help me.........thank you for what you have attempted to do so far....

Always those are the players who played in the Fall of 1970. I'm not sure what it is you are seeking. I have listed the entire roster plus the Freshmen. That is all I have.

...........Looks like you will need the MU Media Guide for 1969. You may want to contact the Drinko Library to see if they might have a copy or image they can share....

I can do that. What I seem to be missing W-S is if the Sophomores on the 1970 team does it not stand to reason that they were Freshmen on the 1969 team?

Always those are the players who played in the Fall of 1970. I'm not sure what it is you are seeking. I have listed the entire roster plus the Freshmen. That is all I have.
~
There are quite a few who were on the "69" freshman team who were "NOT" listed on the "70" team. That is why I wanted the exact 69 freshman roster.

OK our Athletic Department Sports Info Director should be able to provide you that info. Jason Corriher is SID.

bbneutralfan.....this is pretty much a complete list (although I know a Tony Angelo from New Jersey is not listed and also a quarterback named Marion Williams; I think that was his name from South Carolina).
~
Billman Gary 6-5 236 T West Salem OH
Blake Mike 5-11 214 LB Huntington WV
Brantigan Rick 5-9 108 FB Ft. Lauderdale FL
Brown Mike 6-2 185 QB Ravenswood WF
Calvin Jon 6-5 235 T Cuyahoga Falls OH
Carter Edward 6-3 210 G Wichita Falls TX
Cottrell Stu 5-11 158 DB Eustis FL
Crabtree Jack 5-9 195 LB Tazewell VA
Foley Dennis 6-0 180 LB Carteret NJ
Franco Daniel 6-0 215 C Shelton CN
Gillette Joe 6-2 175 TE Johnstown OH
Hill Bobby 5-11 156 QB-DB Dallas TX
Hood Joe 6-1 185 HB Tuscaloosa AL
Horton Florzell 6-0 187 FB Tuscaloosa AL
Hudson Jim 5-10 190 HB Crandall NJ
Lajterman Marcelo 6-0 175 K Lyndhurst NJ
Lewis Marcel 5-11 160 E Mobile AL
Oden Paul 6-0 239 T Montgomery AL
Saylor Al 5-10 205 LB Cuyahoga Falls OH
VanHorn Robert 6-1 203 LB Tuscaloosa AL
Wilson Fred 6-0 210 C Tuscaloosa AL
Yost Ernie 5-9 163 QB Tazewell VA
~
In the past we have talked about players leaving MU or the team for various reasons...........if I am not mistaken the only players from the 69 season who were actually among the victims of the crash are: Mike Blake, Stu Cottrell, Bobby Hill, Joe Hood & Marcelo Lajterman.

Wow thank you Always. I had forgotten some names on your list. I had just returned to Marshall after serving three years in the Army and returned in January 1969. I was asked by a classmate and friend to be one of the student athletic trainers and obviously was lucky not to be on the flight. Thanks for helping recall those whom I failed to list.

Wow thank you Always. I had forgotten some names on your list. I had just returned to Marshall after serving three years in the Army and returned in January 1969. I was asked by a classmate and friend to be one of the student athletic trainers and obviously was lucky not to be on the flight. Thanks for helping recall those whom I failed to list.
~
Did you happen to know a Joe Woolwine........?

bbneutralfan.....this is pretty much a complete list (although I know a Tony Angelo from New Jersey is not listed and also a quarterback named Marion Williams; I think that was his name from South Carolina).
~
~
In the past we have talked about players leaving MU or the team for various reasons...........if I am not mistaken the only players from the 69 season who were actually among the victims of the crash are: Mike Blake, Stu Cottrell, Bobby Hill, Joe Hood & Marcelo Lajterman.

Any chance you can show me how to put that in a spreadsheet?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
~
~
.......adding 3 names to this list: Al Saylor, Robert VanHorn & Freddy Wilson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT