ADVERTISEMENT

1st time in 44 years...........

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
.....that the HERD starts 10-0 @ home to start 2 consecutive seasons in a row!! Maybe that is insignificant, but I say it is noteworthy. On that ‘72-‘73 team was Sr guard Mike D’Antoni. That team was invited to the NIT. We went up to ??? & played Stetson. Looked past them & sent packing. This years squad is not getting ahead of themselves. Can’t wait to see where they can go the rest of the season. Go HERD!

Reactions: WV_Celt
.....that the HERD starts 10-0 @ home to start 2 consecutive seasons in a row!! Maybe that is insignificant, but I say it is noteworthy. On that ‘72-‘73 team was Sr guard Mike D’Antoni. That team was invited to the NIT. We went up to ??? & played Stetson. Looked past them & sent packing. This years squad is not getting ahead of themselves. Can’t wait to see where they can go the rest of the season. Go HERD!
If you are referring to our game in the NIT we played Fairfield and lost 76-80. We did play Stetson in the regular season and won 86-67. Here is a great site for stats you might like.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marshall/1973-schedule.html

Reactions: 31Herd55
If you are referring to our game in the NIT we played Fairfield and lost 76-80. We did play Stetson in the regular season and won 86-67. Here is a great site for stats you might like.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marshall/1973-schedule.html
.....Ohio - I am usually off a little! Fairfield. A bunch of fans ( my folks included) went up for the game. They wore these styrofoam hats banded with “Go Marshall!” or some such phrase. After we lost, a Fairfield fan got a hold of one & went out on the court, tossed it on the wood & stomped it to pieces! Dejection followed the fans back to Htgn.

Reactions: ohio herd
It was Fairfield from Connecticut. NIT is a homer oriented tourney. We had 40-50 foul calls on us, mostly in the second half, they had 4 if I remember correctly. We were "sent packing" because Fairfield is only a few hours drive to NYC and more fans would be on hand. Its the last time I watched the NIT.

Herd was ranked as high as 8th in the nation that year.

GO HERD!!!

.....Ohio - I am usually off a little! Fairfield. A bunch of fans ( my folks included) went up for the game. They wore these styrofoam hats banded with “Go Marshall!” or some such phrase. After we lost, a Fairfield fan got a hold of one & went out on the court, tossed it on the wood & stomped it to pieces! Dejection followed the fans back to Htgn.
I had one of those hats! My grandma worked at Marshall and her boss gave her one. I was just a kid then but would have run through a wall of fire to be at that game!

From 1967 to 1973- Russell Lee, George Stone, Jim Davidson, Bob Allen, Mike D'Antoni, Blaine Henry and Randy Knoll all went on to play at the next level. A Golden Era of Herd Basketball for sure.

Lee- Milwaukee, got a ring with Jabber
Stone- Carolina/Utah Stars, won an ABA championship with Utah.
Davidson- Not sure he played in either league
Allen- San Francisco
D’Antoni- KC-Omaha Kings
Henry - Drafted by Milwaukee, released in preseason
Noll- Buffalo

All excellent players.

Last edited:
From 1967 to 1973- Russell Lee, George Stone, Jim Davidson, Bob Allen, Mike D'Antoni, Blaine Henry and Randy Knoll all went on to play at the next level. A Golden Era of Herd Basketball for sure.
I saw most all of those players in the lions club tourney in sistersville. That tourney also had rod thorn and jerry west play there.

WVU1975 - don’t forget Bob Redd! Some of those games @ the Vet would be televised on local TV - great games! Rivalries w/BGSU, Miami & Toledo were intense. Who remembers the TV game we played @ the Gahden vs Houston (1968?). They had the big “E” - Elvin Hayes. Tremendous shot blocker. We gave them all they wanted before falling short. Our starting point guard? Danny D’Antoni.
He really has lived the golden era of “Bring on the Herd”. Who better to bring greatness back to the program all these years later.......

Loved going to games at the field house as a high schooler during that time. Had a substitute teacher who was retired, and also worked the doors at home games, that told us to fold up a dollar bill and hand it to him and he’d let us in.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Marshall led Houston 47-44 at the half in that game. Stone finished with 29 and the THE BIG E had 45. Houston won 102-93. Houston played UCLA in the Astrodome the next game in that iconic game.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
WVU1975 - don’t forget Bob Redd! Some of those games @ the Vet would be televised on local TV - great games! Rivalries w/BGSU, Miami & Toledo were intense. Who remembers the TV game we played @ the Gahden vs Houston (1968?). They had the big “E” - Elvin Hayes. Tremendous shot blocker. We gave them all they wanted before falling short. Our starting point guard? Danny D’Antoni.
He really has lived the golden era of “Bring on the Herd”. Who better to bring greatness back to the program all these years later.......

I remember the Houston game. Big thrill watching the Herd play a national power on tv.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall led Houston 47-44 at the half in that game. Stone finished with 29 and the THE BIG E had 45. Houston won 102-93. Houston played UCLA in the Astrodome the next game in that iconic game.
Yes and houston beat them. In the rematch ucla beat them badly.

It was Fairfield from Connecticut. NIT is a homer oriented tourney. We had 40-50 foul calls on us, mostly in the second half, they had 4 if I remember correctly. We were "sent packing" because Fairfield is only a few hours drive to NYC and more fans would be on hand. Its the last time I watched the NIT.ch

Herd was ranked as high as 8th in the nation that year.

GO HERD!!!
I was covering that game for the Wheeling newspaper. We lost that game because Bob Daniels was the coach. I was sitting in the press lounge at the half and we were up by a significant number of points. I remember the famous sportswriter Dick Young came to me and asked, "where has this team been all year?: He was so impressed by our running style. Then in the second half he pretty much took the air out of the ball and allowed the Stags to get back into the game and the rest is history.

Good pick up, I knew Jumpin Jim well. Also I believe Stone was originally drafted by the LA Stars(Utah Stars) before moving to the Carolina franchise.
When he got to North Carolina and they realized he had a white wife, they pretty much put him out of basketball. They never did play him after he arrived,

We had a 27-6 lead on Fairfield and got beat. I was there in Madison Square Garden. Virginia Tech, led by Allan Bristow, won the NIT, which we should have: We beat EKU by 20 points at their place, two nights after the Colonels beat VPI by 20.

........another game for the memory banks: MU @ Al McGuires Marquette Warriors. This would still be in the same time frame (actually I believe THE season ‘71-‘72!). We should have won ‘cept for the home cooking!
McGuire’s pissant son (“Allie”) was so frustrated w/ Mike D & our boys! At the end of the game, Al supposedly said he didn’t want to play us again & us hillbillies should go back to the hills.
Karma has a way of balancing things. Years later, a young Rick Majerious would bring his highly touted Marquette team to the fairly new Henderson Center. And, the 1st half they treated us like a 2-bit hooker!
This was the team with twin hometown Pony Express guys in Larry (our other Doc, who actually is one) Watson and the lefty David Wade. Down (I am pretty sure) 25 points at intermission, Marshall staged the improbable comeback, pulling ahead late with a frenzied full house roaring it’s approval!! .......I got lots more.

I was covering that game for the Wheeling newspaper. We lost that game because Bob Daniels was the coach. I was sitting in the press lounge at the half and we were up by a significant number of points. I remember the famous sportswriter Dick Young came to me and asked, "where has this team been all year?: He was so impressed by our running style. Then in the second half he pretty much took the air out of the ball and allowed the Stags to get back into the game and the rest is history.

Aaaah, HM, Bob Daniels, the "pride" of Horse Cave, KY. Has there ever been a more droll, colorless head basketball coach at MU in the last half century??

Aaaah, HM, Bob Daniels, the "pride" of Horse Cave, KY. Has there ever been a more droll, colorless head basketball coach at MU in the last half century??

Stewart Way, who recruited me, wasn’t exactly Mr Excitement.
But he was one of the classiest guys I’ve ever met.

Bob Daniels had no personality, no money to recruit or run a program and got stuck with a couple of really tough schedules. Remember MU was an independent at that time. A Joe McMullen production.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT