ADVERTISEMENT

$2.00 Bills, Pitt Game and Economic Stupidity

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Most here won't remember this but a few years back Marshall would attend the Southern Conference tournament and everyone that drove down to Ashville went to the bank and got 2.00 bills to spend when they were out the days and nights surrounding the tournament.

In that vein of thinking why don't we do the same at Pitt? I'd speculate we bring up to 8000 fans to that game, each spending an average of 200.00 per day, which would stimulate the local Pennsylvania economy by 1.6 million dollars.

It's not that Pittsburgh needs it, it's more to demonstrate 3 things to a valued P5 ACC opponent.

1. Marshall fans travel well and spend well, and all ACC teams will find a quality fan base, and opponent that's worthy of doing home and home series with.

2. West Virginia a state that could use a 1.6 million dollar infusion of cash wont get it due to the stupidity of the ex AD at west Va. u that left them on probation,and that same school may rethink their game stance when state residents hear ( if they hear, gazette doesn't report some things) that well quite frankly Marshall is doing great things for other schools out side of WV and also great things for other states. Gross total loss for the state would actually be 3.2 million since the monies bolster Pennsylvania's economy and reduces WVs by exactly that 1.6 million.

3. It's fun! Yes I was a part , and it was really great once the bartenders and servers caught on to what was happening and it made for great conversation with the local residents. I think the Pittsburgh people would enjoy it too as would Pitt. Possibly to the point another game with them could be scheduled in the future.

Most here won't remember this but a few years back Marshall would attend the Southern Conference tournament and everyone that drove down to Ashville went to the bank and got 2.00 bills to spend when they were out the days and nights surrounding the tournament.

In that vein of thinking why don't we do the same at Pitt? I'd speculate we bring up to 8000 fans to that game, each spending an average of 200.00 per day, which would stimulate the local Pennsylvania economy by 1.6 million dollars.

It's not that Pittsburgh needs it, it's more to demonstrate 3 things to a valued P5 ACC opponent.

1. Marshall fans travel well and spend well, and all ACC teams will find a quality fan base, and opponent that's worthy of doing home and home series with.

2. West Virginia a state that could use a 1.6 million dollar infusion of cash wont get it due to the stupidity of the ex AD at west Va. u that left them on probation,and that same school may rethink their game stance when state residents hear ( if they hear, gazette doesn't report some things) that well quite frankly Marshall is doing great things for other schools out side of WV and also great things for other states. Gross total loss for the state would actually be 3.2 million since the monies bolster Pennsylvania's economy and reduces WVs by exactly that 1.6 million.

3. It's fun! Yes I was a part , and it was really great once the bartenders and servers caught on to what was happening and it made for great conversation with the local residents. I think the Pittsburgh people would enjoy it too as would Pitt. Possibly to the point another game with them could be scheduled in the future.

What an insane post.

I'm sorry, I try to stay off your board out of respect to the rules but this is crazy. Marshall has a great fan base but you have some fans that won't even buy glowsticks for a basketball game and then get pissed if the school doesn't provide them. You expect a family of four to spend $800 on a day trip to Pittsburgh to spite WVU and its' former AD?

Just enjoy the trip to Pittsburgh and make it a great day for Marshall, not a statement toward WVU. Here's hoping you guys embarrass the Panthers.

Last edited:
The difference is: In Asheville it was a very small area and the money was easy to see. In Pittsburgh, people will be so spread out nobody will notice. Example I'm staying in Bridgeville, others will be in Monroeville etc.

Everyone in a 100 mile radius around Pittsburgh are assholes. I say go, kick their ass and spend as little cash as possible north of Jane Lew.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
See I dont believe you, Anyone who has been to times square in the last 2 years wouldnt say its dirty. So many upgrades going on with them making times square for pedestrians only

See I dont believe you, Anyone who has been to times square in the last 2 years wouldnt say its dirty. So many upgrades going on with them making times square for pedestrians only

Don't care what you believe I was at the Yankee game vs the Mariners in which A-Rod went 0-4 with 3 K's. You can look that up and that'll give you the date I was there. Stayed at the Doubletree (which will be the last time) I stay in Times Square. It was a filthy mess. Last time I was there was November of 2013 and it wasn't any different

Here you go fever
Top 14 dirtiest cities in the US

6. New York City, NY

Like Los Angeles on the other side of flyover country, it might be surprising to learn that New York doesn’t top the list of the dirtiest city in the entire nation, since it packs about thirteen million (or so) people into a very compact amount of space and expects everyone to get along.

Governing reports that there’s no less than twenty thousand people per square mile in New York City, a ratio that’s twice as high as any other city in the country outside of San Francisco. By comparison, a modest-sized city like Denver or Columbus has about one tenth the population per square mile. New York has some advantages over its metropolis cousins: due to the incredible density, few people drive and the air quality isn’t quite as bad as sprawling cities (despite it still being below-average overall).

That alone can’t save it from appearing on this list, however, since New York is guilty of just about every other pollution sin in the book. It’s got no less than two Superfund sites within city borders, both in Brooklyn, where Greenpoint Oil Spill and the Gowanus Canal combine for a toxic, sludge-filled center of human activity.

Greenpoint is particularly damning to New York’s green imagery (whatever little it ever tried to project) since it leaked hazardous materials into the groundwater for over a hundred years; Riverkeeper claims that thirty million gallons of oil may have spilled out into the NYC groundwater since its inception.

The water that the rivers flow into isn’t much cleaner, since much of New York simply sledges and dumps its garbage offshore in the Atlantic Ocean. The Sierra Club reports that NYC generates no less than twelve thousand tons (that’s approximately four or five fully-grown elephants) per day, since New Yorkers only recycle about fifteen percent of all their waste material.

As a guy that travels a lot, I think this thread is a little off...

1. Brownsville, Texas... I realize most have never been there. Don't go.
2. Detroit... Can't even make a joke here. Just awful.
3. St. Louis... More specifically East St. Louis. Honestly scared the whole time.
4. Cleveland... At least they have the Rock Hall to kill a couple hours.
5. Atlantic City... The charm of New Jersey with more high-priced tourist traps.
6. Buffalo... Better now than in the 1990's but still rough.
7. Minneapolis... Colder Buffalo. At least the -20 temp made it easy to get reservations.
8. Baltimore... Getting better in recent years but still not a place to visit willingly.
9. Orlando... Feel the heat of Florida with no beach and more litter/pollution.
10. Erie, Pennsylvania... Even the lake is brown and gross.

I've been to Brownsville, Erie, Buffalo Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis from your list and I have to agree Brownsville was deplorable. It's not the pollution or dirtiness of buffalo the city is clean for the most part it's the old grain elevators, the shut down steel mills, and old Central Terminal that makes it look worse than it really is. As for cleanliness (trash and pollution) I've seen much worse places on the west end of Huntington than most major cities

I've heard New Orleans was awful but never been to either city to verify that

I felt I was back in Kingston, Jamaica when I was in New Orleans. Plus the eerie Voodoo vibe trips me out. One city I would not miss if I never go back. San Fran's problem is the abundance of homeless people on the streets. San Diego has a big homeless problem in the downtown areas especially around Petco Park

Let me preface this by saying I love New Orleans. The "feel" of the city is like nowhere else. It has an eerie vibe that is both disturbing and captivating if that makes sense. The whole city appeals to you on a very carnal level (and, no, I'm not talking about the smut on Bourbon St.). That being said, the city is one of the grimiest I've been to. Stray too far off the touristy path and it looks like you are in a 3rd world country.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Let me preface this by saying I love New Orleans. The "feel" of the city is like nowhere else. It has an eerie vibe that is both disturbing and captivating if that makes sense. The whole city appeals to you on a very carnal level (and, no, I'm not talking about the smut on Bourbon St.). That being said, the city is one of the grimiest I've been to. Stray too far off the touristy path and it looks like you are in a 3rd world country.
My first visit there was 1971. I had that feeling then and my last visit was for a Herd basketball game and football game and I had it then.

I've been visiting NYC regularly since the late 60's The cleanest I ever saw Times Square was while Rudy was the mayor there. He really cleaned it up. You could actually walk down the street and not be hit on by a dozen hookers. I noticed when I was there about a year ago that it had started going down again.

Detroit looks like a bombed out Sarajevo. I took a wrong exit one night in a Ryder truck near Seven Mile. Every time I stopped at a red light it looked like the living dead crawling toward the truck. I was shocked how nasty LA was back in '12. New Orleans was bad pre-Katrina. I'm sure she hasn't improved with age. My father always claimed Brownsville was a special kind of hell.

$2 would go unnoticed in Pittsburgh. Asheville was a special town back in the day.

Reactions: 31Herd55

I've always had fun in New Orleans. It's the perfect blend of culture and depravity. I mean where else can you take in the beauty and architectural wonder of the St. Louis Cathedral while dodging the transvestites sprawled on the steps when you come out. And that smell.

I've always had fun in New Orleans. It's the perfect blend of culture and depravity. I mean where else can you take in the beauty and architectural wonder of the St. Louis Cathedral while dodging the transvestites sprawled on the steps when you come out. And that smell.

the wife and I spent a week in Nola several years ago. i've spent the last 15 years trying to forget that smell.......

Reactions: 31Herd55
Rhino is dead spot on. I have been to all those cities except Brownsville. The worst for me may be Gary, Indiana. That place looked like Afghanistan.

Obviously we have some posters who never venture out of Huntington. And that's sad becuase if you did, you would realize it's not the worst place in the world by far.

As for NYC, great city. Much cleaner than is used to be. I was just there and it seems cleaner to me than years ago. I go every year about the same time and it's certainly in better shape.

NOLA is a puke bucket but with some nice areas. Better post Katrina than before. Even the locals admit that.

I was just in Las Vegas and for all it's glitz, That city just feels slimy and gritty. Not a fan. More like an upsale Myrtle Beach. Lol!

Last edited:
Hey Meister, check out the Bottleshop Cafe in Bridgeville when your up for the game.
Damn right. The staff is smoking hot. We're headquartered in Bridgeville & I stop by the Bottleshop any chance I get.

Fever did it again. SF is one of the cleanest cities in America. I live here. One of the Smartest and most educated. It leads the country in waste management and water quality. The most informed. The most expensive. People want to be in SF. The average cost for a 700 sq foot apartment in SF is $3,400/month. Besides the demand of people trying to get into the city to live, it's, by far, the most beautiful city in the states. You can get anything (even donuts) that you want on your pizza at 4 am and drive outside of the city for 20 minutes and be under 10,000 year old trees.

America’s Top 5 Cleanest Cities
153SHARES

What’s the cleanest big city in America? How about the dirtiest? And what about the place where you live — did it make the list?
Reader’s Digest compared data on our 50 most populous metropolitan areas to come up with a ranking of America’s cleanest cities. You might be able to guess some of the winners — and losers. But get ready for plenty of surprises.

First, though, what is a clean city? Ideally, it’s a place where the air quality is good, the water is safe to drink, and factories aren’t dumping harmful chemical waste into the environment. It’s also a place where you look up and down streets that are free of garbage, and stroll through parks without wading through litter. To gauge these things, we used several databases as yardsticks for measuring cleanliness. That data pertained not just to the cities themselves, but to their Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), which include the surrounding suburbs and counties.

We also wanted to dig beneath the data to find out just what our highest-scoring cities were doing right. So we talked with policymakers, economists, activists and government workers in the top five cities. As you’ll see, these places have earned their rankings — and their success holds some lessons for the rest of us.

#5 San Francisco

(Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties)

Background: Once a prominent shipping and manufacturing center, San Francisco now has booming financial and business sectors. Since 1980, the city’s population has increased by more than a third and its per capita income ranks among the nation’s highest. Few places have a citizenry that is more environmentally conscious.

Last edited:
I was in San Fran a couple weeks ago, the filth was amazing for such a high class city.

See I judge by my eyes not from some BS List

People I work with said it used to be worst until they implemented the No plastic bags program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT