*11/27/21 - WKU - 19,134

2022 Home Game Schedule
*9/3/22, Saturday, 3:30pm - Norfolk St
*10/1/22, Saturday, TBA - Gardner Webb
*10/12/22, Wednesday, 7:30pm - Louisiana
*10/29/22, Saturday, TBA - Coastal
*11/12/22, Saturday, TBA - Appy St
*11/26/22, Saturday, TBA - Georgia St

What is everyone expecting for attendances?
*Honestly think COVID and culture has hurt attendances long term..
*Weeknight game will hurt as well, but I think the TV exposure will be worth it.
*I’m excited for the Louisiana, Coastal and Appy St games.

I have been wondering how season tickets sales have been. I know App sold out. Another SBC team reported 10,000.
We have some great home conference games. Was hoping for some good crowds.

I have been wondering how season tickets sales have been. I know App sold out. Another SBC team reported 10,000.
We have some great home conference games. Was hoping for some good crowds.
App has a lot of good things going for them this year, I’m sure UNC coming to town has helped ticket sales. Haven’t heard anything about Marshall’s tickets sales.

Marshall drew a crowd of 28,377 at Appy last year. I would love to see us top that in Huntington this year. If we can’t get the fan base excited about Appy then we are going to be in trouble.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
App has a lot of good things going for them this year, I’m sure UNC coming to town has helped ticket sales. Haven’t heard anything about Marshall’s tickets sales.

Marshall drew a crowd of 28,377 at Appy last year. I would love to see us top that in Huntington this year. If we can’t get the fan base excited about Appy then we are going to be in trouble.
Unfortunately it’s in mid-November and will probably be cold and miserable so a lot of people that would have came in September or October will stay home I’m guessing.

Depends on the weather and how we are doing. I think the first game, App and Coastal games will be well attended. LA should, just depends on the students and walk up.
I know most will disagree but the MU AD needs to saturate the local media with game plugs and try to get the walk up crowd to purchase in advance. A huge key will be keeping the students engaged and coming to all games, not just the first one. The last several years, student attendance has been abysmal.

I know the answer. Attendance won't be good. However, I'm going to refrain from providing the multiple reasons as to why.
I can only speak for myself. I live 2.5 hours from Huntington and will attend the CCU (Homecoming) game and follow the Herd to BGSU! But if we play well at ND and don't implode at BGSU could well attend more!

I can only speak for myself. I live 2.5 hours from Huntington and will attend the CCU (Homecoming) game and follow the Herd to BGSU! But if we play well at ND and don't implode at BGSU could well attend more!
Im with ya... I live 5 1/2 hours away, so the FCS games don't get me in the truck and Wednesday night is a no-go due to work.

I am going to Notre Dame, Coastal and App State for certain... Georgia State most likely but not definite yet.

Im with ya... I live 5 1/2 hours away, so the FCS games don't get me in the truck and Wednesday night is a no-go due to work.

I am going to Notre Dame, Coastal and App State for certain... Georgia State most likely but not definite yet.
One of my Fraternity brothers is wearing me out about going to South Bend with him for that tilt and admittedly it's a bucket list trip. You might see me there as well.

One of my Fraternity brothers is wearing me out about going to South Bend with him for that tilt and admittedly it's a bucket list trip. You might see me there as well.
If you go, let me know and you can swing by our tailgate. I'm currently scouting locations... Its my bachelor weekend trip, like you said a bucket list football weekend, with 4 of my buddies (two other Marshall grads) and my dad. We are coming in from North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Indiana. As long as you aren't offended by beer, cuss words, loud music, or hot wings then you are welcome.

I only live an hour and a half from South Bend, so I may end up going down as well. Normally get to pick an ND game to attend (from a supplier) that comes with (4) tickets. Pretty good tailgating in the White Lot before games, as well as historic sites to see. South Bend as a whole, once you venture outside of the campus area is pretty destitute.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
If you go, let me know and you can swing by our tailgate. I'm currently scouting locations... Its my bachelor weekend trip, like you said a bucket list football weekend, with 4 of my buddies (two other Marshall grads) and my dad. We are coming in from North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Indiana. As long as you aren't offended by beer, cuss words, loud music, or hot wings then you are welcome.
Thanks you for the gracious invitation, as I said I'm an old frat boy at Marshall( TKE) so human sacrifice does not offend me !

Reactions: RhinoD
Reducing the stadium capacity will help the atmosphere. I think 30,000 seats is about right. The number of "hell or high water" fans has decreased because they are aging out at a higher rate than they are being replaced. Consistent winning buzz is all that will change that. I am honestly pumped for every game outside of Gardner-Webb. I will have family from outside the area with me for App as well as hosting some friends who are App fans. I will have extras with me for Georgia State as well. Our church is having dinner for the Louisiana game and then cancelling Wednesday night programs so everyone can eat and go to the game.

The only burning question remaining in my mind is: Will we see the return of DJ Herd That? My youngest boy turns 2 this December. How does he apply to be one of the little kids bobbing up and down in the Herd That booth while Tootsie Roll plays?

You had me at beer!

Reactions: RhinoD and MUTHFAN
I expect big crowds on these home games, but will be down with the other
*10/29/22, Saturday, TBA - Coastal
*11/12/22, Saturday, TBA - Appy St
Appy St will consistently be one of our more interesting games every year going forward.

Coastal is hot right now, I’d love for Grayson McCall to get a bunch of national exposure. Not on the same level, but makes me think of the time everybody came to town to watch Lamar Jackson play.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Reducing the stadium capacity will help the atmosphere. I think 30,000 seats is about right. The number of "hell or high water" fans has decreased because they are aging out at a higher rate than they are being replaced. Consistent winning buzz is all that will change that.

Nothing says a program deserving to move up than reducing capacity by almost 10,000 seats.

The whole seat reduction idea is BS. It has always been a marketing problem for MU to not attract 30,000 people from a freaking Tri-State area of well over enough people to cover the defecit.

I was told for the last 6 years that Doc and that brand of football was the reason for poor attendance.
Of course, if any of these attendance predictions are true, it further solidifies that our fans make as many excuses as they can...acting like football in cold weather is somehow a new, sudden thing, or literally anything is a reason to not show.
Even when MU wins, it's "how" they win.

In contrast to (and yes, this is a stretch due to reasons discussed on other threads) a place like App State who can draw people to its somewhat isolated area, while surrounded by P5 schools and larger cities.

What a douche statement. You never grew up and moved away from the area. People have families and lives that don’t revolve around college sports.

So what do you call posting on here during a weekday?
Douche statement? Kind of. I see Perkins' point though.

"If we win 2/3 games I attend, I might come to see more MU games."

To him, and to most programs, it shouldn't matter how much they win for you to come see the team.
Yes, families exist and people move away, but for the amount of demands made by the fans for literally everything, and then choosing if they'll show up, isn't much better of a statement than his.

ahh. There it is. Conditional fandom!!!
I think virtually all "fandom" is conditional whether is professional sports or college sports. Bengals couldn't give tickets away 3 years ago, now look at them! If we had a legitimately strong team which we haven't had in years, we'd draw 35,000 a game but to see a flawed team play Gardner web ,we won't draw half that. But hope for the new season springs eternal and let's hope we've improved from last year!

So what do you call posting on here during a weekday?
Douche statement? Kind of. I see Perkins' point though.

"If we win 2/3 games I attend, I might come to see more MU games."

To him, and to most programs, it shouldn't matter how much they win for you to come see the team.
Yes, families exist and people move away, but for the amount of demands made by the fans for literally everything, and then choosing if they'll show up, isn't much better of a statement than his.
That’s part of being a fan. You going to go spend time and money on a movie that sucks? Going to vacation in an area that sucks? It is what it is.

That’s part of being a fan. You going to go spend time and money on a movie that sucks? Going to vacation in an area that sucks? It is what it is.

Part of being a fan is knowing a team will either win or lose. Accepting that happens and returning because you support them and enjoy the experience.

If a movie sucks, I won't boycott the movie theaters. I won't go to Pullman and tell their manager that unless they tell Hollywood to send better films, I won't go.

I was told for the last 6 years that Doc and that brand of football was the reason for poor attendance.
Of course, if any of these attendance predictions are true, it further solidifies that our fans make as many excuses as they can...acting like football in cold weather is somehow a new, sudden thing, or literally anything is a reason to not show.
Even when MU wins, it's "how" they win.

In contrast to (and yes, this is a stretch due to reasons discussed on other threads) a place like App State who can draw people to its somewhat isolated area, while surrounded by P5 schools and larger cities.
by chance, does your other handle go by the name of Aaron Perkins?

• Haha
Reactions: Jartard
Part of being a fan is knowing a team will either win or lose. Accepting that happens and returning because you support them and enjoy the experience.

If a movie sucks, I won't boycott the movie theaters. I won't go to Pullman and tell their manager that unless they tell Hollywood to send better films, I won't go.
No, you won’t boycott the theater if the product sucks, you just won’t go. Thanks for proving my point.

I am guessing attendence will be low. There are host of reasons. One, college football live attendence is decling nationwide. Two, football is Q3 and Q4. if you would like a more in depth discussion join us over on Pullman Square .

I look for the trend as illustrated below to continue.

The per-game national decline of 1,629 fans in 2021 is the steepest ever, a 3.93% drop from 2019. The NCAA did not compile attendance statistics from the COVID-19(We have to used that term on this forum)-impacted 2020 season for the first time since it began keeping overall attendance figures in 1948.

• Haha
Reactions: Jartard
I am guessing attendence will be low. There are host of reasons. One, college football live attendence is decling nationwide. Two, football is Q3 and Q4. if you would like a more in depth discussion join us over on Pullman Square .

I look for the trend as illustrated below to continue.

The per-game national decline of 1,629 fans in 2021 is the steepest ever, a 3.93% drop from 2019. The NCAA did not compile attendance statistics from the COVID-19(We have to used that term on this forum)-impacted 2020 season for the first time since it began keeping overall attendance figures in 1948.
I think there are several factors, but I really do believe one of the biggest the sport itself is killing itself. All the realignment which is putting schools like USC and Rutgers on each other's schedules which is insane along with killing historical rivalry games that had 100+ years of investment. Then you have the even more political playoff system that has pretty much created an even bigger monopoly for about 5-6 teams. Couple that with the NIL and potentially the open portal deal and fans have just been soured.

The rich are getting richer, but they are bleeding the sport in the process.

I think there are several factors, but I really do believe one of the biggest the sport itself is killing itself. All the realignment which is putting schools like USC and Rutgers on each other's schedules which is insane along with killing historical rivalry games that had 100+ years of investment. Then you have the even more political playoff system that has pretty much created an even bigger monopoly for about 5-6 teams. Couple that with the NIL and potentially the open portal deal and fans have just been soured.

The rich are getting richer, but they are bleeding the sport in the process.

Well, in the modern world in which we live, what would compel me to drive 6 hrs one way to see a college football game, with all cost and time associated, and then drive back? When, I can sit in my living room and watch?

Or even 2 hrs or even 45 minutes? The world is a busy, expensive place. College football is fighting for those dollars and time.

Nothing says a program deserving to move up than reducing capacity by almost 10,000 seats.

The whole seat reduction idea is BS. It has always been a marketing problem for MU to not attract 30,000 people from a freaking Tri-State area of well over enough people to cover the defecit.
A program deserving to move up where? Not a rhetorical question. Is there a case currently being made for Marshall to move up somewhere? In the current environment of NIL, moving towards a Power 2, and salaried players just around the corner, where is it that Marshall is moving? I am at every game since I was a teenager and agree with you we should sell out a 40,000 seat stadium. It is the best entertainment in the area. I am merely using data from the previous 20 seasons and surmising that given the statistical likelihood of this data trend continuing for another year, the capacity reduction will improve the atmosphere.

What a douche statement. You never grew up and moved away from the area. People have families and lives that don’t revolve around college sports.

No, I am referring to the part about "seeing how we do and maybe come to more."

That has nothing to do with families and lives that revolve around sports or not.

That is "win and I will come, lose and I will not." Fans dont say that.

No, I am referring to the part about "seeing how we do and maybe come to more."

That has nothing to do with families and lives that revolve around sports or not.

That is "win and I will come, lose and I will not." Fans dont say that.
full-1.jpg

Many have already started looking at the extended weather forecast to schedule the games they will attend. Hell, Stay home and darn your socks! Get tired of people saying if it doesn't rain or snow I will go. GO HERD!

Many have already started looking at the extended weather forecast to schedule the games they will attend. Hell, Stay home and darn your socks! Get tired of people saying if it doesn't rain or snow I will go. GO HERD!
Have fun!

You should go with him, we'll probably see you up there if you go. We need a huge representation up there, for many reasons. The most important is for the image of the university's support to its team, and another would be to see a very possible upset like we've seen at KSU, Clemson, and almost saw at Ohio State and NC State twice. It can happen, and it just might; particularly if we're taken lightly by the almighty Irish.

You should go with him, we'll probably see you up there if you go. We need a huge representation up there, for many reasons. The most important is for the image of the university's support to its team, and another would be to see a very possible upset like we've seen at KSU, Clemson, and almost saw at Ohio State and NC State twice. It can happen, and it just might; particularly if we're taken lightly by the almighty Irish.
The OSU game you're referring to could/should have been won if a certain K-P could have made a 20 yard FG and gotten off more than a 12 yard punt all in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter...but much like the 2010 WVU game ,I'm over it with I over that one as well with the help of therapy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT