ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Home Attendance Expectations

I've noticed Marshall does come up with great ideas, but the marketing of that idea is terrible. How many times do you see something advertised one time, or a new fan event started then the next year there is nothing. How many know you can currently get a a pretty sharp looking Herd yard sign for free, I didn't until I saw a post on the other board.
Its like MU marketing is a restaurant with a menu 10 pages long and all the options are mediocre... We do 100 different fan engagement, student engagement, alumni engagement, things to varying degrees of success but they all run together and none are phenomenal, most are just okay.

We need a menu with 10 grade A, top of the line, meals that people will enjoy and keep coming back for...

You want to do a pregame concert? - Cool, do it for the first home game of the year (when the weather is still theoretically good) and bring in a band that people have heard of. There are plenty of 1 or 2 hit-wonders looking for gigs... If you want crappy local bands the rest of the season on the cheap, so be it.

You want to do a "blackout" - Cool, pick the "biggest" home game of the season, announce it two months in advance and keep announcing it so people know about it/remember. Get a sponsor to throw their logo on some black t-shirts to hand out at the gate (Todd Judy Ford did this a few years back during a "green out" that no one knew about until we arrived at the stadium).

You want homecoming to bring people in? - Cool, discount tickets for alums (make people feel like they are getting a "deal") and work with the city to make a weekend of it. When I was at MU there was usually a "big name" concert on either Thursday or Friday that week at the civic arena, then the parade and football game on Saturday. It seemed like a much bigger deal 15-20 years ago than it has been the last 4-5 years. I realize COVID was a big part of that.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. Simply pick a few things and do them top-notch.

Its like MU marketing is a restaurant with a menu 10 pages long and all the options are mediocre... We do 100 different fan engagement, student engagement, alumni engagement, things to varying degrees of success but they all run together and none are phenomenal, most are just okay.

We need a menu with 10 grade A, top of the line, meals that people will enjoy and keep coming back for...

You want to do a pregame concert? - Cool, do it for the first home game of the year (when the weather is still theoretically good) and bring in a band that people have heard of. There are plenty of 1 or 2 hit-wonders looking for gigs... If you want crappy local bands the rest of the season on the cheap, so be it.

You want to do a "blackout" - Cool, pick the "biggest" home game of the season, announce it two months in advance and keep announcing it so people know about it/remember. Get a sponsor to throw their logo on some black t-shirts to hand out at the gate (Todd Judy Ford did this a few years back during a "green out" that no one knew about until we arrived at the stadium).

You want homecoming to bring people in? - Cool, discount tickets for alums (make people feel like they are getting a "deal") and work with the city to make a weekend of it. When I was at MU there was usually a "big name" concert on either Thursday or Friday that week at the civic arena, then the parade and football game on Saturday. It seemed like a much bigger deal 15-20 years ago than it has been the last 4-5 years. I realize COVID was a big part of that.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. Simply pick a few things and do them top-notch.
Yep, constant communication is key. One email or tweet to those already engaged isn't gonna cut it.
Heck, I do a family game deal of $40 gets you 4 tix in 105, plus two cokes and two popcorns. See how that does for the Norfolk and Gardner Webb games.

Reactions: Marco93 and ru4_mu2
And MU should be the underdog to all four certain .500 teams, and probably to the others as well.

That is why all the marketing ho-ha is just that. So much ho-ha. They can have all the rallies, paint this or that green (or perhaps black), raffle off whatever. It is just falling on deaf ears until people have the perception that they can attend a good game versus a worthy opponent where MU has a chance of actually winning.

Get that accomplished and the rest is easy. Continue to fail at it, and all the raffles and rallies in the universe won’t help.

MU is favored in all games this season except Notre Dame.
Your logic is flawed to begin with, demanding MU be underdogs to everyone.

As far as the hype, it's a lose/lose situation with you.
MU spends some resources to hype up, you say, "why are they excited for a game against a useless opponent?"
If MU isn't favored, "All that hype just to get beat down by 45 pts."

It's like you just don't do much work to make any argument convincing.
That's very CUSA-ish...stay off their boards.

MU is favored in all games this season except Notre Dame.
Your logic is flawed to begin with, demanding MU be underdogs to everyone.
False.

Except for a few mega games, Las Vegas does not even post lines until the week of a particular game.

The current line (I use MGM, you pick whichever) for season wins is posted in July. MU opened at 7.5. That means MU is expected to lose AKA is the underdog in four to five games. With two “free” spots (the I-AAs) and one certain loss, you do the math.

Where do you get this stuff? You just make it up as you go along. You do understand the Supreme Court legalized gambling five years ago and its easy to look up?

Well I expected good attendance for Saturday until the weather went from mostly sunny to cloudy with rain in literally less than a days time. Unreal

False.

Except for a few mega games, Las Vegas does not even post lines until the week of a particular game.

The current line (I use MGM, you pick whichever) for season wins is posted in July. MU opened at 7.5. That means MU is expected to lose AKA is the underdog in four to five games. With two “free” spots (the I-AAs) and one certain loss, you do the math.

Where do you get this stuff? You just make it up as you go along. You do understand the Supreme Court legalized gambling five years ago and its easy to look up?

Look it up at ESPN. It's head to head matchups predicted based on various criteria.

It has been posted on here various times about MU being favored in all but the ND game (based on ESPN).

I don't gamble.

Now, the real question you need to answer is how many wins will the CUSA champion get? It's your conference and everything.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just plain false, called on it, and now a claim you saw it on ESPN’s vast website.

False. Season wins are 7.5. I took the under, big, and will enjoy the cash.

If true….pathetic.
Root with your heart.

Bet with your head.

Number of CH wins vs. I-A teams with winning records: zero.
Number of games this year vs. I-A teams likely to finish with winning records: At least five (Notre Dame, Troy, Louisiana, Appy State, CCU, BGSU has a shot as well).

Under. We beat the two I-AAs, the two Georgias, maybe BGSU.

Root with your heart.

Bet with your head.

Number of games this year vs. I-A teams likely to finish with winning records: At least five (Notre Dame, Troy, Louisiana, Appy State, CCU, BGSU has a shot as well).

I guess we'll see.
So, Sam, who's winning CUSA?

I believe someone said the gameday attendance against Norfolk St was 24,607. FCS games hurt, but could’ve been worse. I will say I thought tarping the endzone helped

Reactions: Jartard
I believe someone said the gameday attendance against Norfolk St was 24,607. FCS games hurt, but could’ve been worse. I will say I thought tarping the endzone helped
24.6/30 is a whole lot better than 24.6/38. It simply presents better. The crowd felt so much more like the old days. There were not full sections of empty bleachers. I miss the old 27-28k opening crowd (even for FCS opponents), but we have to get a foothold on winning the people here back. Yesterday felt like a start.

24.6/30 is a whole lot better than 24.6/38. It simply presents better. The crowd felt so much more like the old days. There were not full sections of empty bleachers. I miss the old 27-28k opening crowd (even for FCS opponents), but we have to get a foothold on winning the people here back. Yesterday felt like a start.
I think it’s unfair to compare expectations to the past with COVID culture and the fact that you can watch basically any game on tv these days. You want a bigger crowd then you’re going to have to do what ODU or Appy St did or at least get Ohio U in town. Based on the gameday experience I saw yesterday, I’m doubtful the athletic department puts much effort into winning difficult scheduling battles.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere on Twitter yesterday that Coastal had their biggest home crowd ever yesterday…just over 21,000. We need to get all the fraternities involved, the sororities involved, the Stampede involved, any and ALL campus clubs and organizations involved. Maybe offer discounted tickets to the youth/midget league organizations within 2 hours of Huntington. More family promos, maybe even couple promos for 2 tickets. While attendance could have been better, I agree that 24,000 for Norfolk State isn’t bad.

Reactions: MUTHFAN
I think it’s unfair to compare expectations to the past with COVID culture and the fact that you can watch basically any game on tv these days. You want a bigger crowd then you’re going to have to do what ODU or Appy St did or at least get Ohio U in town. Basic on the gameday experience I saw yesterday, I’m doubtful the athletic department puts much effort into winning difficult scheduling battles.
Wasn’t comparing “expectations” really. Was simply comparing today”s apples to yesterday’s oranges. I know things are a lot different. But I stand by the need to win the fans back into the stands… both on the field and off. We have to start somewhere. Yesterday felt like a possible launch point.

It felt like a pre-Covid crowd.

Reactions: Jartard
Nice attendance yesterday vs. a bad team - weather helped. Students showed up too. I did like the end zone tarps - closed the stadium and added good colors. Liked the Kelly green paint on the stadium concrete steps. Bathrooms still suck & still smell bad (need ventilation too). New turf with black end zone looks great. Liked the jerseys with "Marshall" vs. The Herd. Tailgating was solid too.

Overall, nice improvements with opportunities to be better.

I saw somewhere on Twitter yesterday that Coastal had their biggest home crowd ever yesterday…just over 21,000. We need to get all the fraternities involved, the sororities involved, the Stampede involved, any and ALL campus clubs and organizations involved. Maybe offer discounted tickets to the youth/midget league organizations within 2 hours of Huntington. More family promos, maybe even couple promos for 2 tickets. While attendance could have been better, I agree that 24,000 for Norfolk State isn’t bad.

Present these amazing, original ideas to Spears immediately.

Die Hard Hans GIF by Matt

The reported crowd at the ODU-Tech game was stated to be a record crowd for their stadium!
I watched the game. There were obvious empty seats in a few areas. But those that attended saw a good game and got to storm the field. Lol!’

Root with your heart.

Bet with your head.

"root with your heart bet with your head" from the guy who swallowed Doc's balls so bad it's distorted his judgement?? thanks for the advice.

24,607 fans show up to watch the Herd play Norfolk St and then then the Herd gets some big exposure with a win on the road vs NOTRE DAME!! Assuming we can handle things in Bowling Green, what do you guys expect for attendance now? Think we could see over 30k? Anybody think Appy could bring some fans (they’re on fire right now)? A 35k+ Appy St game with both of us ranked would be a dream scenario

24,607 fans show up to watch the Herd play Norfolk St and then then the Herd gets some big exposure with a win on the road vs NOTRE DAME!! Assuming we can handle things in Bowling Green, what do you guys expect for attendance now? Think we could see over 30k? Anybody think Appy could bring some fans (they’re on fire right now)? A 35k+ Appy St game with both of us ranked would be a dream scenario
Keep winning and the games against Louisiana and App should have big crowds... Louisiana being on a Wednesday will hurt, but should still draw 25K or more (what else are you going to do within an hour of Huntington on a Wednesday).

If we are playing App in a defacto East Division title game on Nov. 12, I would expect 30K or more (with the tarps on the endzone that would be close to a sellout). App State fans will absolutely travel.

All these predictions are assuming good weather --
Gardner Webb -- 25k
Louisiana -- 25k (only this low because its a Wednesday)
Coastal -- 28k
App State -- 32k
Georgia State -- 25k (Thanksgiving weekend is a tough draw)

Its like MU marketing is a restaurant with a menu 10 pages long and all the options are mediocre...

You just summarized Cheesecake Factory.

Reactions: RhinoD
Not likely over 30k because you fools wanted the endzones tarped.
Could have the largest attendance in the SBC but...

Not likely over 30k because you fools wanted the endzones tarped.
Could have the largest attendance in the SBC but...
Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to take the tarps down and put them back up again for a game. If people are willing to buy that many tickets surely we wouldn’t turn them away. That said I thought the tarps looked great for a 26k crowd

Reactions: marshallsig
Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to take the tarps down and put them back up again for a game. If people are willing to buy that many tickets surely we wouldn’t turn them away. That said I thought the tarps looked great for a 26k crowd

Until there is a green light to actually tear them down, just take the tarps off. It is very likely MU is ranked after BGSU and the demand can increase but less people allowed in?

Until there is a green light to actually tear them down, just take the tarps off. It is very likely MU is ranked after BGSU and the demand can increase but less people allowed in?
If there’s a safety issue involved, it won’t happen. If the demand is there, and they can, I’m sure they will open it up section by section. They won’t leave money on the table that they could make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT