ADVERTISEMENT

2022 W-L regular season predictions

You're turning into the very people you were critical of just 2 years ago.
Hardly. The people two years ago were unhappy with WINNING. Nothing that happened would suit them.

If CH were to actually WIN some games of merit, I will be the first to praise him. Thus far, zero.

Let's say Sammy is correct in his 5-7 prediction...Huff might get a chance to develop "his own team".

Based on last season, I'm concerned that Huff may be a more articulate and entertaining Doc.
Really good HC's who take over a program win one or two games more than what would be a expected based upon the talent.
Huff won two or three games less.
I don't blame Huff for any of last years results, wins or losses, actually -- With one exception, ECU. That loss was on coaching.

Im certain when Huff was hired he was assured he would have 3-4 years at minimum to build his own program. What I am interested to see is how we look with an experienced QB in our system, and then again next year when we presumably will be starting a RS Freshman in that same system. The function of the offense over the next two seasons will tell me a lot about Huff as a coach, and his coordinators.

Reactions: Dorrej and ru4_mu2
I don't blame Huff for any of last years results, wins or losses, actually -- With one exception, ECU. That loss was on coaching.

Im certain when Huff was hired he was assured he would have 3-4 years at minimum to build his own program. What I am interested to see is how we look with an experienced QB in our system, and then again next year when we presumably will be starting a RS Freshman in that same system. The function of the offense over the next two seasons will tell me a lot about Huff as a coach, and his coordinators.
ECU was on Huff...just like WVU 2010 was on Doc!

Sadly, Doc gave us some of the most embarrassing losses in MU history.
But he won some games as well, the WVU game with a National TV audience verses a bunch that had rubbed our nose in shit for 100 years was very hard to take. I'm not one of the gang that feels compelled to demonize Doc at every turn but I'm not one of his defenders either, it was time for a change and I hope he has a happy life.

When will discussion of the CURRENT coach, his disappointing and underperforming first season and what looks to be a disaster of a second (if you have a quarterback controversy, you don’t have a quarterback) finally be in order? When CH is 0-5 vs I-A teams this October? When he completes the season with a losing record, misses a bowl and enters 23 with a shot at Snyder’s record of length of service before beating a team with a winning record? When?

Let’s discuss CH, the CURRENT coach.
QB Controversy? There is controversy. Henri Colombi is the the starter. Huff and the staff can act coy about it all they want. They made that decision when they got his commitment.

7-6, 6-6 vs I-A, zero wins versus teams with a winning record.

That is, unless you accept mediocrity, disappointing. That team should have won more games, including beating a team or two with a winning record.

This year’s team is far less talented. 5-7, 3-7 in I-A is a very valid prediction. This is not a good football team.
How do you see this team as far less talented? Sure we have some question marks, but far less talented? We lost Grant and that sucks, but Colombi shouldn't suck. Though I do have my concerns with him, I do not think he will be a bust.

We got rid of Evans and signed Laborn and some really talented freshman. That alone is a huge upgrade. I don't know how many 3rd downs were blown because Evans was rotated in.

WRs were below average last year so anything done there could be an upgrade. Maybe Trickett will actually use Gammage as a deep threat and a RZ fade guy instead of short outs and comebacks.

DL should still be good.

LBs are thin, but you never know who might step up.

Safeties should be fine.

CBs weren't that great last year so there's nothing to be sad about there.

OL is a concern because we lost several key starters, but we brought some transfers in and they may fill in nicely.

Saying this team is "far less talented" is just dumb. It really is.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Sadly, Doc gave us some of the most embarrassing losses in MU history.
Choking away a 17 point lead at home to a below average to bad ECU team because you got greedy is pretty embarrassing.

The only thing Doc didn't do was win multiple championships. That's why many don't remember some of the bad losses that Pruett had. Doc gets clowned on for how we played at VT. Many argue that those Pruett teams were more talented and would whoop the Doc teams and pretty much every time we faced a P5 opponent we lost pretty badly. Save for KState, SCar (won 1 game in 98), and Clemson (6-6).

Doc beat Louisville (eventual co-BE Champ), Maryland (only P5 bowl victory in school history), and Purdue who were pretty much in line with 98 S Carolina.

People hammered Doc for losing to #3 Louisville while forgetting Pruett got drummed by #1 Florida. Neither game should be a blackmark for either coach, but the Doc haters sure acted like we should have won that game in 2016.

Pruett lost at BGSU in 1998. 1998. Then later that season needed to block a kick to not lose to Wofford at home.

Am I saying Doc is as good as Pruett? No. However he gets hammered for a lot of dumb stuff. Doc got complacent after 2014 and it showed. I put most of that on Hamrick because he allowed him to feel too comfortable. People just romanticize Pruett and demonize Doc. Doc didn't leave suddenly under the cloud of NCAA violations that put the next staff in a huge hole either. No on likes to talk about that little dirty detail. Why? Because Pruett won championships.

Doc was just here way too long. He should have been gone about 2-3 seasons earlier. However Doc should be appreciated for what he did for this program. When he took over we were horrible. Sure we just made the Pizza Bowl vs OHIO, but we were not a good team. Sanctions plus Snyder plus Kayo Marcum really stripped away everything that was built from 1987-2004. Doc got this program competitive again. The fact we can even complain about choking in championship games means we were actually playing in championship games.

Doc's gone and now Huff is here. And to those that say it was just year one. Some of these same people were hammering Doc for going 5-7 in his first year after a 6-6 bowl season. Well Huff took over a team that just played in the conference championship with a much more talented roster than what Doc received in 2010.

We came up short in a lot of games last season because of coaching blunders from just about every member of this staff. Cramsey's offense was just as bad as it was under Doc, DBs were out of position a lot, WRs had a lot of drops, and STs had some horrendous game blowing blunders. Like not knowing how to cover/field and onside kick.

2022 is going to tell us just who Charles Huff is. Cramsey is gone, and according to Huff this team is HIS team. As he stated the incoming freshman chose to sign with us, the transfers chose to come here, and the current chose to stay instead of transfer.

There are not excuses in 2022. These are the players that Huff wanted. These are the players we have. He had a chance to go out and get an OC, but chose to elevate a guy that has never called plays. So we'll see what we have. Hopefully we are challenging for the conference. I don't expect to win it, but I expect to be in the fight until the season is done.

Pruett took a couple of beat downs but he was competitive in many p5 games, many could have should have wins that got away.

beat downs to who?? Florida and VT?

wins? Clemson, south carolina and Kstate

should have could haves or competitive? wvu 97, mich st and UNC 2000, UT 2003, OSU and UGA 2004...

I'm not saying Colombi isn't good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves with "experienced." This is the first time in his career where he is THE guy. The first time he will be the Day1 starter and hopefully be the starter on the final play of the season.

Also he's not experienced in our system. Heck the OC isn't even experienced in our system because he doesn't have a system. There is no system. That's the rub. Our OC is learning and developing the system he's trying to teach to the players.

Pruett took a couple of beat downs but he was competitive in many p5 games, many could have should have wins that got away.

beat downs to who?? Florida and VT?

wins? Clemson, south carolina and Kstate

should have could haves or competitive? wvu 97, mich st and UNC 2000, UT 2003, OSU and UGA 2004...
You're not wrong, but the same can be said about Doc. Those should have/could haves are looked at as competitive games we let slip through our grasps under Pruett like the Tennessee game or UNC game that were close, but those same type of games under Doc are looked at as choke jobs like the 2010 WVU, 2012 Purdue, or 2013 VT game.

Look I am not saying that Doc and Pruett are on the same level. They are not. Pruett has 6 conference titles and a National Championship. Doc was 1-2 in championship games. That was his downfall and then his epic end of the season choke jobs that cost us 2 more appearances.

Choking away a 17 point lead at home to a below average to bad ECU team because you got greedy is pretty embarrassing.

The only thing Doc didn't do was win multiple championships. That's why many don't remember some of the bad losses that Pruett had. Doc gets clowned on for how we played at VT. Many argue that those Pruett teams were more talented and would whoop the Doc teams and pretty much every time we faced a P5 opponent we lost pretty badly. Save for KState, SCar (won 1 game in 98), and Clemson (6-6).

Doc beat Louisville (eventual co-BE Champ), Maryland (only P5 bowl victory in school history), and Purdue who were pretty much in line with 98 S Carolina.

People hammered Doc for losing to #3 Louisville while forgetting Pruett got drummed by #1 Florida. Neither game should be a blackmark for either coach, but the Doc haters sure acted like we should have won that game in 2016.

Pruett lost at BGSU in 1998. 1998. Then later that season needed to block a kick to not lose to Wofford at home.

Am I saying Doc is as good as Pruett? No. However he gets hammered for a lot of dumb stuff. Doc got complacent after 2014 and it showed. I put most of that on Hamrick because he allowed him to feel too comfortable. People just romanticize Pruett and demonize Doc. Doc didn't leave suddenly under the cloud of NCAA violations that put the next staff in a huge hole either. No on likes to talk about that little dirty detail. Why? Because Pruett won championships.

Doc was just here way too long. He should have been gone about 2-3 seasons earlier. However Doc should be appreciated for what he did for this program. When he took over we were horrible. Sure we just made the Pizza Bowl vs OHIO, but we were not a good team. Sanctions plus Snyder plus Kayo Marcum really stripped away everything that was built from 1987-2004. Doc got this program competitive again. The fact we can even complain about choking in championship games means we were actually playing in championship games.

Doc's gone and now Huff is here. And to those that say it was just year one. Some of these same people were hammering Doc for going 5-7 in his first year after a 6-6 bowl season. Well Huff took over a team that just played in the conference championship with a much more talented roster than what Doc received in 2010.

We came up short in a lot of games last season because of coaching blunders from just about every member of this staff. Cramsey's offense was just as bad as it was under Doc, DBs were out of position a lot, WRs had a lot of drops, and STs had some horrendous game blowing blunders. Like not knowing how to cover/field and onside kick.

2022 is going to tell us just who Charles Huff is. Cramsey is gone, and according to Huff this team is HIS team. As he stated the incoming freshman chose to sign with us, the transfers chose to come here, and the current chose to stay instead of transfer.

There are not excuses in 2022. These are the players that Huff wanted. These are the players we have. He had a chance to go out and get an OC, but chose to elevate a guy that has never called plays. So we'll see what we have. Hopefully we are challenging for the conference. I don't expect to win it, but I expect to be in the fight until the season is done.
I really don't think our up defenders on the ECU on side kick knew that we didn't have to wait until the kick went 10 yards to jump on it.

I've always said I appreciated Doc for what he did; and he did stay 2-3 years too long, jmo. But the loss to WVU, Cincy at home, MT losses, UCF, and several others were pretty bad and embarrassing. Yep, Pruett had his Toledo blowout, losses to BG and Akron weren't pretty. Huff had ECU. But I give ALL our coaches a pass in year one. Hopefully Huff has learned and can turn the year one experience into a positive.

I really don't think our up defenders on the ECU on side kick knew that we didn't have to wait until the kick went 10 yards to jump on it.
1. They've been playing football long enough to know that. That type of onside kick isn't new anymore. It's been used at least in the NFL and college for 10 years.

2. Even of they didn't know the coaches should have had them prepared for that situation because as I said in the first point it has been used a good bit over the last decade.

We should have been better coached for the situation. I mean if the fans in the stands knew what was coming and what should have been done shouldn't those that have been playing and coaching the game knew?

I've always said I appreciated Doc for what he did; and he did stay 2-3 years too long, jmo. But the loss to WVU, Cincy at home, MT losses, UCF, and several others were pretty bad and embarrassing. Yep, Pruett had his Toledo blowout, losses to BG and Akron weren't pretty. Huff had ECU. But I give ALL our coaches a pass in year one. Hopefully Huff has learned and can turn the year one experience into a positive.
I do believe Huff will improve, but I don't know what to make of Trickett. Nothing against Clint, but elevating him is a head scratcher for me. It is obvious to everyone that Huff has aspirations of moving up and on. Why hire a guy that has zero experience. Does Huff have his own system that he is going to have Clint run? Was there not anyone out there he knew of with experience he could have hired. It does seem like he pulled the trigger on Clint pretty quickly. Clint is a good guy and has good knowledge of the game, but he's a complete wildcard when it comes to calling plays.

I'm not saying Colombi isn't good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves with "experienced." This is the first time in his career where he is THE guy. The first time he will be the Day1 starter and hopefully be the starter on the final play of the season.

Also he's not experienced in our system. Heck the OC isn't even experienced in our system because he doesn't have a system. There is no system. That's the rub. Our OC is learning and developing the system he's trying to teach to the players.
I will give you "not experienced in our system"... But he's a 5th year senior with 26 career games played, 13 of which were at a P5 program. He should have a high level of understanding in regards to preparation, game management, etc.

Im more than a little concerned that you're stating Trickett is writing a playbook as he goes... I hope that's not the case.

I will give you "not experienced in our system"... But he's a 5th year senior with 26 career games played, 13 of which were at a P5 program. He should have a high level of understanding in regards to preparation, game management, etc.

Im more than a little concerned that you're stating Trickett is writing a playbook as he goes... I hope that's not the case.
I mean I'm sure as another poster said on my OF post that he has taken notes throughout his playing and coaching career, but outside of being a co-OC for maybe one season (not sure if it was partial) at FAU he's never called plays.

Unless Marshall owns the rights to the playbooks used by previous OCs that he can draw from or if Huff has his own system like a Rich Rod/Mike Leach type deal, then this is Yr1 Page 1 of the Clint Trickett OC playbook. Maybe Bill Legg (puke) is going to be helping him. OCs craft their playbooks and schemes from years of coaching. Clint has only been coaching since 2015.

2015-16 QB Coach at East Mississippi C.C.
2017-19 TE Coach at FAU
2020 co-OC/QB Coach at FAU
2021 WR/PGC at Marshall
2022 OC/QB at Marshall

Not exactly a ton of coaching experience to draw from.

As I've said before and this is not a jab at Clint. You'd think given Huff's desire to move on and up he wouldn't have elevated a first timer.

I dunno. Maybe Clint has impressed Huff during staff and position meetings.

Reactions: RhinoD
You're not wrong, but the same can be said about Doc. Those should have/could haves are looked at as competitive games we let slip through our grasps under Pruett like the Tennessee game or UNC game that were close, but those same type of games under Doc are looked at as choke jobs like the 2010 WVU, 2012 Purdue, or 2013 VT game.

Look I am not saying that Doc and Pruett are on the same level. They are not. Pruett has 6 conference titles and a National Championship. Doc was 1-2 in championship games. That was his downfall and then his epic end of the season choke jobs that cost us 2 more appearances.
well, I'd just say none of those teams you mentioned those years were near the stature of UT at that time or OSU at that time. the three you mentioned are comparable to UNC 2000

People will spin it any way they can.
Pruett is a good coach but a sh*t individual for leaving when he did, it put MU in the Dark Ages for half a decade, going to UVA right after for extra pension, then mooching around as a reminder to a fragile fanbase "look at me, remember how good we were?" Then be written to have been a favorite of the governor to return to coaching so HE can get into the WV coaches HoF or whatever.

Much like Doc, I appreciate him, but life is better without him at the helm. One thing that separates Pruett and Doc is Doc did, in my opinion, his job largely for WV and the MU community in mind, while Pruett was/is all about himself.

Hardly. The people two years ago were unhappy with WINNING. Nothing that happened would suit them.

If CH were to actually WIN some games of merit, I will be the first to praise him. Thus far, zero.

I said when Doc was coaching...if people have to go to other team W/L records to de-legitimize a win from the team, they have a weak argument.

The same applies to you.

The "winning games of merit" part is telling as it says you basically admit, CUSA is garbage.

Yea that Forth Worth bowl was miserable to watch and friends of mine that went had nothing positive to say. From the weather to the play on the field.
Funny game! I remember we had the lead and had them in a 3rd and long, midway through the 2nd period. They threw a screen pass that we had a defender positioned perfectly for and he missed the tackle and they picked up the first down , went on to score and ended up beating us handily. At least that's how my foggy memory recalls.

Funny game! I remember we had the lead and had them in a 3rd and long, midway through the 2nd period. They threw a screen pass that we had a defender positioned perfectly for and he missed the tackle and they picked up the first down , went on to score and ended up beating us handily. At least that's how my foggy memory recalls.
It's the one bowl game that I have almost no memory of. It's odd, but I don't remember a single play from that game. Probably for the best.

maybe those people thought the winning was a just a lucky run....

Reactions: RhinoD
Much like Doc, I appreciate him, but life is better without him at the helm. One thing that separates Pruett and Doc is Doc did, in my opinion, his job largely for WV and the MU community in mind, while Pruett was/is all about himself.
Doc did nothing for the Huntington community. NOTHING for the decade+ he was here. He did little for the Marshall community other than show up to the Shewey and get a paycheck.

Pruett has been a part of the Marshall community and done more in the Huntington community than Doc ever did. He’s remained a part of Marshall University and fund raising efforts long after he finished coaching. Took part in numerous organizations and community events.

Talk about revisionist history. Doc was a fraction better than Snyder who benefitted from a decimated conference usa and a much easier OOC schedule. He was the epitome of mediocre. Even in his best year he lost an undefeated season by losing to a barely 500 conference mate at the Joan. I don’t care if you think huff sucks but this Doc did a lot of really good things is ridiculous.
Plenty of Pruett coached teams would have been steamrolled by some of the teams Doc played.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaHahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaI was just starting to like a lot of your posts and you pull this one out.

Talk about revisionist history. Doc was a fraction better than Snyder who benefitted from a decimated conference usa and a much easier OOC schedule. He was the epitome of mediocre. Even in his best year he lost an undefeated season by losing to a barely 500 conference mate at the Joan. I don’t care if you think huff sucks but this Doc did a lot of really good things is ridiculous.
Plenty of Pruett coached teams would have been steamrolled by some of the teams Doc played.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaHahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaI was just starting to like a lot of your posts and you pull this one out.
Fractionally better than Snyder? Talk about an over exaggeration. Snyder couldn't get to .500 and I don't care about the schedule. Snyder had Ahmad Bradshaw and couldn't get to .500.
Is Doc as good as Pruett? No. Is he better than Snyder? Yes. By a mile. Mark Snyder would have sucked against Doc's schedules too.

Fractionally better than Snyder? Talk about an over exaggeration. Snyder couldn't get to .500 and I don't care about the schedule. Snyder had Ahmad Bradshaw and couldn't get to .500.
Is Doc as good as Pruett? No. Is he better than Snyder? Yes. By a mile. Mark Snyder would have sucked against Doc's schedules too.
Lets keep in mind Doc only won 26 games against teams with winning records. We basically beat who we should have.

Lets keep in mind Doc only won 26 games against teams with winning records. We basically beat who we should have.
Again. Not saying he's a great or even very good HC. However I'll pick him 10/10 times over Mark Snyder and not think twice.

Snyder was absolutely horrible in every facet.

Again. Not saying he's a great or even very good HC. However I'll pick him 10/10 times over Mark Snyder and not think twice.

Snyder was absolutely horrible in every facet.
Agree. Mark wasn't ready and I am sure even he knew it. His schedules were brutal as well.

Agree. Mark wasn't ready and I am sure even he knew it. His schedules were brutal as well.
We beat KSU in Huntington if Mark could have figured out to run the ball up the middle and kick the game winning FG at the buzzer to beat the Wildcats. But in his defense no lock that our kicker at the time could have hit from 22 yards! He missed other short kicks for big victories for us.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I disagree.

Snyder was a bad coach just like Doc, he just didn't get to cruise to 7-8 wins. 2005-07 was probably the least talented teams as a whole in the last 20 years. 2005 had some talent, but due to the 5 year plan to build program and late hire. He recruited and redshirted a lot of players. the talent level bottomed out in 2007 but finally started to build to some decent teams in 08 and 09. If he could coach worth a darn, 09 should have been in the conf championship game, maybe the champs. Snyder did play the toughest in and out of conference schedules of any coach we have had EVER.

Doc sucked and sucked the life out of the program under performing playing nobodies. Doc did build some talented teams peaking in 2013-14 but didn't accomplish anything special with those teams.

Agreed. Doc and Snyder were pretty close in coaching ability. Doc had much weaker schedules and with that he had better results. When they were up against equal or better competition, the results were about the same. I have found though that it's useless comparing coaches because all of them had different levels of competition.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
We beat KSU in Huntington if Mark could have figured out to run the ball up the middle and kick the game winning FG at the buzzer to beat the Wildcats. But in his defense no lock that our kicker at the time could have hit from 22 yards! He missed other short kicks for big victories for us.
Yep. I am like, why is Skinner gonna pass the ball. Rumor was it was a mix up in communication/play call. ugh!

Norfolk State (IAA) W
Notre Dame L
BGSU L
Gardner Webb (I-AA) W
Troy L
Louisiana L
Coastal Carolina L
ODU W
Appalachian State L
GA Southern W
GA State W

5-7 3-7 vs I-A 0 wins vs. I-A teams with winning records, no bowl.

Bowling Green has won 12 games since 2017.

You may be the single most hypocritical Marshall "fan" i have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT