ADVERTISEMENT

2024 will be...

redsfan5590

Silver Buffalo
Dec 14, 2010
...a very long year. Huff "apologizes" by saying fans misunderstood what he meant, then doubles down on the fact that we have bad fans. While simultaneously inserting that it wasn't what Cam said, its just his opinion. The athletic department didn't put out a statement for days, while it became a national story and then the response is for the coach to get up and "apologize" several days later, when in actuality he's just scolding fans again.

I can see it now. After we go 11-1 next year it’s just because “Huff got lucky in the portal, he still can’t recruit his own players.”

The script is as predictable as you guys hating on my every word!!!

Go Herd!
11-1
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

Reactions: awebbOH
I can see it now. After we go 11-1 next year it’s just because “Huff got lucky in the portal, he still can’t recruit his own players.”

Go Herd!
I hope that the results of the '24 season are 11-1.

Based on past performance, I don't think that 11-1 is probable.

If we go 11-1 everyone here will be overjoyed. However, Huff will still be not liked because he is just not likable. If we average 30 a game most will think we should fire Huff and keep Doege as head coach would be my guess.

Huff has burned the bridge with the fan base while giving us sub-Doc W-L records. No coming back from that. Hilljacks hold grudges.

Go Herd!
Aaron, you can’t talk to these people. They hate everything about Marshall. They will be angry if we go 11-1.

Aaron, you can’t talk to these people. They hate everything about Marshall. They will be angry if we go 11-1.

No one is going to be upset if we go 11-1.

No one believes that will be the case either.

I'm not even sure what the odds of that happening are, but I can tell you that a $100 bet on that parlay would likely enable you to retire at the end of 2024.

We are going to turn this around. Doege will coach up Cole. We will have a good year next year. I always believe that until forced to believe otherwise.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just like I said last year when everyone thought we would just keep rolling this season. There are WAY too many unknowns on this team to think they'll go 11-1.

-We have a new OC that has ZERO EXPERIENCE.

-We don't have a QB. Yes Cole is here, but he is not established.

-What will we have at RB?

-What do we have at WR?

-The OL is going to be turned over and who is coaching it?

-We lose Porter, Neal, and Abraham off of the defense leaving JJ Roberts as the only consistent impact player left. So while there may be talent there are no established leaders yet.

-Kicking still is something that leaves a lot to be desired.

-We also have a lame duck head coach trending in the wrong direction.

The only way you predict 11-1 is out of pure blind fandom.

Last edited:
Who knows what 2024 will be. ALOT of moving parts and we do not have a solid qb at the moment. Hopefully some players grow during the off-season, OC is at least average and we gets some breaks go our way.

The only way you predict 11-1 is out of pure blind fandom.
We have a couple guys on here, who that's their thing and anyone who has realistic expectations, or points out MU's flaws, "hates Marshall."

There is no reason to think Marshall is going 11-1 next year, unless you are illogical, or trolling the rest of us.

I have a fair amount of confidence that the defense is going to be pretty good next season. The question is the offense, and has been pointed out multiple times already, there are too many variables to make any predictions right now... Next year we will have -- New OC, new QB, at least 3 new OL, a new starting RB, and who knows at WR. Maybe it all works out and we light it up, maybe it doesn't and we are even worse than this season.

So, being realistic to a situation is hating everything about Marshall? Interesting take.

Look, I love Marshall with all my heart. I hope we go undefeated every year. I would lose my mind if we went 11-1 next year. But you are lying to yourself, if at this point in time, things do not look promising for that to happen.

Maybe it will, let's hope. But being logical and looking at facts at hand, being realistic to the possibility, does not mean a person hates Marshall.

Last edited:
We have a couple guys on here, who that's their thing and anyone who has realistic expectations, or points out MU's flaws, "hates Marshall."

There is no reason to think Marshall is going 11-1 next year, unless you are illogical, or trolling the rest of us.

I have a fair amount of confidence that the defense is going to be pretty good next season. The question is the offense, and has been pointed out multiple times already, there are too many variables to make any predictions right now... Next year we will have -- New OC, new QB, at least 3 new OL, a new starting RB, and who knows at WR. Maybe it all works out and we light it up, maybe it doesn't and we are even worse than this season.
Exactly.

i am not saying it's a lock that we don't go 11-1, but it's just dishonest to just ignore the question marks like they don't exist. Going into this season I warned people that the new DC would not just be plug and play. Even with the same exact playbook he's going to see the game differently than Guidry. Also Neal was the only LB returning with recorded tackles and we saw how badly the LBs struggled for most of the season.

Anything can happen, but I just don't understand not at least acknowledging that there is room for concern or at least cautious optimism.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Go Herd!

You two pouting over fans who dare to reject mediocrity is just the most amusing thing I've seen today 🤣

Thinking that MU is going to go 11-1, next year, is idiocy. Don't know who the coach will be, don't know who the players will be, don't know anything much about the other teams. etc.

But look at who is posting this stuff. Do we get a serious discussion of particular elements of football? No. We get the same childish "Marshall is the bestest eveeeeer" childish non-sense. The poster is going to have a prediction like that (I am shocked that he actually admits that Ohio State will beat us). It doesn't further the discussion, because it is not based on adult thinking, but rather what you would expect a little kid to say. Then those of us who want to discuss the multiple issues that led to this really bad team this year, are called "haters".

I for one, do not hate anybody associated with MU. I know there are people in the athletic department that are grossly over their head, and want them out, but that is based on love, not hate.

• Love
Reactions: HerdGrad1999

Go Herd!

Are your hallucinations from The Shewey strictly auditory or are they visual as well?

We are going to turn this around. Doege will coach up Cole. We will have a good year next year. I always believe that until forced to believe otherwise.

Are you like Aaron, he is kidnapped by terrorists and the only words to freedom is he admitting, "Marshall didn't have a good year"?

I think Doege interviewed and took the job, under the potential hiring of he as HC at the end of the season, seeing how well he would do.
It's really the only reason I would take it, given the instability of Huff.
It actually wouldn't shock me if this was all arranged behind closed doors. Huff selected his replacement and is basically going to let him have control.
Huff gets the credit, Doege sees if he is cut out for the gig, and hopefully, Marshall succeeds.

It really is a win/win for Marshall:

I think he said those comments so he would get fired, and in turn, the MU AD kept him as punishment for his words.
Now, Huff isn't free to find a new job, and nobody has approached him.
In 2024, he has to actually win and make himself marketable, which means he may actually try to be a head coach.
If Marshall loses, they're firing Huff anyway, at least not retaining him. MU moves on, as does Huff.
If Marshall wins, Huff gets out of town, clearly some of Doege's schematics worked, and we likely have a HC in waiting, saving time and money for a search.

I highly doubt it's 11-1, but for Huff, it's enough to get out of here...which will once again, not be what fans expect.

I think we'll have a better record next year than we did this year but probably won't be at the top of the division.

I expect that we will have a new HC after the season
This brings up an interesting topic... What is next year's benchmark for Huff?

It's certainly not 6-6... 8 wins? 9 wins? Is it all dependent on where we finish in the division/league?

It's certainly not 6-6... 8 wins? 9 wins? Is it all dependent on where we finish in the division/league?
In the Charles Huff mind: 8 -9 wins gets me out of this hick town and into some second tier P5.

In reality: 10 wins is probably what is needed. Eternal bottom feeders have made a lot of dumb hire of coaches with one or two good (record wise) years. Which is why they are eternal bottom feeders. 10 wins gets him 3-5 years at some P5 that hasn't sniffed a conference championship since Nixon.

In the CS mind (assuming he is not the total incompetent he has so far shown himself to be) : 7 wins or less = fired; 8 wins = press release about how it is "unacceptable" and then accept it; 9 wins = somehow take credit for it; 10 or more wins = CH gets his next stepping stone.

I would think 8. But let's be honest. He is in a severe rock and a hard place. With what he has to replace, new OC, etc. He could actually do his best coaching job here and finish a competitive (meaning we are in all games, not like some this year) and finish 6-6 again. And could be an accomplishment, with all the unknowns to be addressed. And that probably will not be enough to save his job.

I hope the point I am trying to make, is coming across.

Let's see. Right off the top, Ohio State, VA Tech, and JMU are all on the road in 2024, so that should end the 11-1 crap. But there is always a Stony Brook or two for a drowning soul to grab on to!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT