ADVERTISEMENT

4* ATH headed to Marshall?

There is no such this is a "Non qualifier." for any school. Either the ATH goes through the
NCAA Clearinghouse or not. Now, academics will come into a factor if they stay.
If a school says he don't qualify for their school (USC) that's a polite way of saying we are
no longer interested. Probably for other reasons.

There is no such this is a "Non qualifier." for any school. Either the ATH goes through the
If a school says he don't qualify for their school (USC) that's a polite way of saying we are
What are you talking about? Schools absolutely rule kids out based on academics. It’s why Harvard sucks at football now. It’s why the military academies aren’t as good as they used to be. It’s why duke will never be a good football school

While it is true that some schools may use qualifying as an excuse to pull an offer, it is also true that "Non-Qualifier" is a real thing.

The Clearinghouse identifies Qualifiers, Partial-Qualifiers, and Non-Qualifiers. We all know how Qualifiers work. Partial-Qualifiers are those athletes who are close, either missing a single class, or maybe slightly below the Core GPA or SAT score. Partial-Qualifiers can be given a scholarship and are allowed to practice immediately, but are not allowed to play for one year. Non-Qualifiers cannot be given a scholarship and cannot practice or play for one year. They are in essence just regular college students (who gained admission under an academic wavier and get some weight room privileges). Both Partial and Non must catch up on classes/GPA/Test Scores in that first year to be scholarship eligible the following year, or meet a certain GPA in their college courses. Also, both Partial and Non are limited to just 3 years of playing eligibility, unless they meet certain graduation percentages prior to their fifth year.

Rules for accepting Non-Qualifiers are set up by each Conference, and then each individual school within the conference.

Everybody is right - schools will refuse certain players, and they will cite academic issues, but if Cam Newton had wanted to go to Duke, so long as he passed the NCAA clearinghouse, they'd find a way to make him a Blue Devil.

And the service academies aren't good anymore because the draft ended, but when they start letting unmanned drones play, look out.

Reactions: johns1124
Here is an article in The State Newspaper concerning Thompson's current situation.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article198482379.html

ATL HERD.....I read his comments and it is clear Bryce Thompson wants to be a Gamecock. "Marshall is my back-up plan....and nothing more"....."a coach at SC has saved me a spot....and I plan to get my grades in order."

Pretty strong statement from the Dutch Fork, SC [Coach Tom Knotts] standout player. His attitude could be the reason for the "swinging-door" problem [players coming & leaving Huntington].... that Doc faces when bringing in non-qualifiers. THEY DON'T WANT TO BE AT MARSHALL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Zilla22 in Charlotte

ATL HERD.....I read his comments and it is clear Bryce Thompson wants to be a Gamecock. "Marshall is my back-up plan....and nothing more"....."a coach at SC has saved me a spot....and I plan to get my grades in order."

Pretty strong statement from the Dutch Fork, SC [Coach Tom Knotts] standout player. His attitude could be the reason for the "swinging-door" problem [players coming & leaving Huntington].... that Doc faces when bringing in non-qualifiers. THEY DON'T WANT TO BE AT MARSHALL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Zilla22 in Charlotte
This a very good post

Reactions: Elkview

Zilla22 in Charlotte
I agree with you, I don’t care if he’s a 5 star. How I read that he doesn’t want us so why do we want him? I’d rather see us get a 1 star who wants to play for Marshall!

I think some people are being a bit harsh on the young man. Sure, he shouldn't have said it the way he did for the public to read. But I imagine this comment was meant for the South Carolina coaches and fans. He was most likely trying to assure them that his visits/interest in any other school was only as a backup, in case he couldn't accept USC's offer. He was explaining why a committed athlete would continue to show any interest elsewhere. He just needed a little guidance in saying it in a way that didn't come off disrespectful to his backup school.

Every kid has Plan #1 and Plan #2, and maybe Plan #3. For some athletes, Marshall is Plan #1. For others, #3. Every school is someone's backup plan.

I agree with Judge... I wanted to go to Princeton, got accepted, and my parents couldn't afford to make it happen. That's life... I went to Marshall on a much better financial package, loved it, and still love it. Having a backup plan is important in all areas. Can't fault the kid for that.

I agree with Judge... I wanted to go to Princeton, got accepted, and my parents couldn't afford to make it happen. That's life... I went to Marshall on a much better financial package, loved it, and still love it. Having a backup plan is important in all areas. Can't fault the kid for that.
What he is saying is recent history proves when they don't want to be here they don't stay. You have to recruit kids and families that want to be a Marshall

I think some people are being a bit harsh on the young man. Sure, he shouldn't have said it the way he did for the public to read. But I imagine this comment was meant for the South Carolina coaches and fans. He was most likely trying to assure them that his visits/interest in any other school was only as a backup, in case he couldn't accept USC's offer. He was explaining why a committed athlete would continue to show any interest elsewhere. He just needed a little guidance in saying it in a way that didn't come off disrespectful to his backup school.

Every kid has Plan #1 and Plan #2, and maybe Plan #3. For some athletes, Marshall is Plan #1. For others, #3. Every school is someone's backup plan.

Coach Judge....since I am most likely "one of the a bit harsh ones on the young man"......I understand your points. However, he should not have stated it so firmly...."Marshall is my backup plan...NOTHING MORE." I understand his heart is to play for the LOCAL Gamecocks in front of family & friends....in the SEC. I am sure there is NO DOUBT from the Gamecock brass that Bryce Thompson wants/plans to wear the Scarlett/Black for S. Carolina. Nothing more---Nothing Less.

My point it is well documented that Doc recruits a few "risk players" to come to Marshall. Our program dictates that risk factor.....CUSA; Huntington, WEST VIRGINIA...small fish in a LARGE POND. We Herd loyalists "get all that." But at the end of the day......I support the non-qualifiers, "risk guys", are the dominant reason players who select Marshall "for a second chance"...knowing they can not practice, etc for their first year on campus...grow bored with the grind of class work without feeling a part of the team......some--not all...get into trouble..... Doc has a short leash...and sends them packing. Again, our recruiting protocol dictates the Risk Factor for some young men.

It always pleases me to read about the TEAM GPA, with Marshall Football being ranked number TWO in CUSA. This is the reason young men "should come to play for The HERD"...an opportunity to earn a degree that is a life-time rewarding achievement. Very few college football players in America make it to the BIG SUNDAY Show. One thing for sure===Marshall affords them the opportunity (free of charge & without having to go into debt) to EARN a college degree. Nothing More---Nothing Less!

"You can lead a horse to water====you can not make him drink."

Zilla22 in Charlotte

Take a lap.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
johns where in the world do you think that “non-qualifiers” do not exist? Contact the NCAA in Indianapolis for clarification.

My only comment is that the kid could have, and IMHO should have, left out the "nothing more" comment. I said it more strongly on another board. How would you like to be the kid who doesn't play because someone came here who didn't want to, while you chose the school becuase you love it and want to be a winner here?

What are you talking about? Schools absolutely rule kids out based on academics. It’s why Harvard sucks at football now. It’s why the military academies aren’t as good as they used to be. It’s why duke will never be a good football school

Like I said you either clear or not. You surely are not comparing most Div 1 U's to Ivy league are you? As well; what keeps most military schools down are well; The Military and its commitment post grad. In fact, Im glad you mention Duke. I was going to use them as an example. you surely don't believe that all Duke Hoop players are academic All-Americans do you? No as long as they pass clearinghouse they will take them.

johns where in the world do you think that “non-qualifiers” do not exist? Contact the NCAA in Indianapolis for clarification.

I played college Basketball, I know about the clearinghouse. Maybe the problem was I didn't use the word "Given" before the word school in the phrase; "There is no such this is a "Non qualifier." Given for any school." Most schools; except Ivy or Military, don't care about GPA, SAT ETC. If you clear the clearinghouse and your good enough they will take you. Like the example above about Cam was perfect. He may not be Duke Material GPA and SAT wise. If he cleared he would have been playing. That's all i'm saying. If he cleared the NCAA for USC he's cleared for MU. I don't know any schools out there BCS who would turn down a 4 star for a 3 star with a higher SAT or GPA.

I played college Basketball, I know about the clearinghouse. Maybe the problem was I didn't use the word "Given" before the word school in the phrase; "There is no such this is a "Non qualifier." Given for any school." Most schools; except Ivy or Military, don't care about GPA, SAT ETC. If you clear the clearinghouse and your good enough they will take you. Like the example above about Cam was perfect. He may not be Duke Material GPA and SAT wise. If he cleared he would have been playing. That's all i'm saying. If he cleared the NCAA for USC he's cleared for MU. I don't know any schools out there BCS who would turn down a 4 star for a 3 star with a higher SAT or GPA.

Listen, my man. Please.

There are such things as non qualifiers. Marshall took six last year. I can name them if you’d like. They were admitted to Marshall but not cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse. They will officially be a part of the program when fall practice starts.

Like I said you either clear or not. You surely are not comparing most Div 1 U's to Ivy league are you? As well; what keeps most military schools down are well; The Military and its commitment post grad. In fact, Im glad you mention Duke. I was going to use them as an example. you surely don't believe that all Duke Hoop players are academic All-Americans do you? No as long as they pass clearinghouse they will take them.
NCAA disagrees. There's no need for the term to be mentioned on NCAA website if it doesn't exist right
Final nonqualifier: You may not practice or compete with your team or receive an athletics scholarship during your first year of full-time college enrollment.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/initial-eligibility-status-terms

Coach Judge....since I am most likely "one of the a bit harsh ones on the young man"......I understand your points. However, he should not have stated it so firmly...."Marshall is my backup plan...NOTHING MORE." I understand his heart is to play for the LOCAL Gamecocks in front of family & friends....in the SEC. I am sure there is NO DOUBT from the Gamecock brass that Bryce Thompson wants/plans to wear the Scarlett/Black for S. Carolina. Nothing more---Nothing Less.

My point it is well documented that Doc recruits a few "risk players" to come to Marshall. Our program dictates that risk factor.....CUSA; Huntington, WEST VIRGINIA...small fish in a LARGE POND. We Herd loyalists "get all that." But at the end of the day......I support the non-qualifiers, "risk guys", are the dominant reason players who select Marshall "for a second chance"...knowing they can not practice, etc for their first year on campus...grow bored with the grind of class work without feeling a part of the team......some--not all...get into trouble..... Doc has a short leash...and sends them packing. Again, our recruiting protocol dictates the Risk Factor for some young men.

It always pleases me to read about the TEAM GPA, with Marshall Football being ranked number TWO in CUSA. This is the reason young men "should come to play for The HERD"...an opportunity to earn a degree that is a life-time rewarding achievement. Very few college football players in America make it to the BIG SUNDAY Show. One thing for sure===Marshall affords them the opportunity (free of charge & without having to go into debt) to EARN a college degree. Nothing More---Nothing Less!

"You can lead a horse to water====you can not make him drink."

Zilla22 in Charlotte

Marshall wasn’t even Randy Moss’ plan B it was plan C, with plan D being working at “Rand University”. That worked out pretty well.

Incorrect.

I agree, the criticism of his statement by posters on here is ridiculous. At the time of the article, he was still committed to South Carolina, and I would say they were probably his #1 school through the entire process. He likely has dreamed of played for them in the SEC for years. He has a right to consider us a backup plan in this situation just like other guys we took as NQs that had signed with big programs. He is a tremendous talent and I think everyone should be extremely happy if he signs with us.

Reactions: chuck1069
My only comment is that the kid could have, and IMHO should have, left out the "nothing more" comment. I said it more strongly on another board. How would you like to be the kid who doesn't play because someone came here who didn't want to, while you chose the school becuase you love it and want to be a winner here?
It happens at every school. There is always a recruit that wants to go to a school but doesn't get a spot because of another recruit being more coveted by the coaching staff.

Marshall wasn’t even Randy Moss’ plan B it was plan C, with plan D being working at “Rand University”. That worked out pretty well.

You are correct redsfan5590.....
But Randy never said negative things about Marshall from the beginning....nor "my back-up plan" (nothing more). He represented our University honorably. I will give the SC kid a break...he made a poor choice of words and it offended me & others. I want kids at Marshall that want to be here from day 1.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

My counter, how many schools say the same thing to players?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT