ADVERTISEMENT

4 Point Dogs at Home

I think this is one of the worse things I have seen on HN in a long long time.
No offense, but this isn't even in the top 10 from this year of worst things I've read on this board, lol.

You can like sports betting, hate it, be indifferent... But its a multi-billion dollar business and I can flat guarantee you there are hundreds (maybe more) people in the stadium every week, wearing green, cheering for MU, who have placed wagers on the opponent.

I never bet for or against MU. Just my personal philosophy about not betting on my favorite teams (emotion is the worst factor in betting) but you can't begrudge people who do. Especially when half the stadium is checking their phones every 10 minutes to see how their parlays are working out.

im not celebrating it. If the spread was JMU -7.5, i wouldve put 1k on marshall. I dont think we lose by more than one score at home
Yeah...you sort of were:

i am just smart lol. If someone said to you, here is a free $990 dollars (what Ill get if JMU wins by 4 or more) wouldnt you take the money?
...to bet against a friend who is working his ass off to play for your school team's success. You do you.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
No offense, but this isn't even in the top 10 from this year of worst things I've read on this board, lol.

You can like sports betting, hate it, be indifferent... But its a multi-billion dollar business and I can flat guarantee you there are hundreds (maybe more) people in the stadium every week, wearing green, cheering for MU, who have placed wagers on the opponent.

I never bet for or against MU. Just my personal philosophy about not betting on my favorite teams (emotion is the worst factor in betting) but you can't begrudge people who do. Especially when half the stadium is checking their phones every 10 minutes to see how their parlays are working out.
A little odd that you would go to a game to "support" your school, and hoping you...lose?? I'm indifferent about the gambling aspect overall, but it does seem odd to me.

Imagining this...Marshall fan sitting at a home game (or anywhere for that matter) "cheering" his team: "Marshall is winning..... but damn, I'm losing $1000!" Seems strange to me.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Yeah...you sort of were:

...to bet against a friend who is working his ass off to play for your school team's success. You do you.
Also, like i said, when the line gets to marshall +7.5, I am putting the same bet on us to cover that, because i think we lose by one score. After watching this team last week, losing by one score to JMU wouldnt be bad at all

A little odd that you would go to a game to "support" your school, and hoping you...lose?? I'm indifferent about the gambling aspect overall, but it does seem odd to me.

Imagining this...Marshall fan sitting at a home game (or anywhere for that matter) "cheering" his team: "Marshall is winning..... but damn, I'm losing $1000!" Seems strange to me.
It's called an "emotional hedge" and it's actually a pretty common tactic for gamblers... You win the bet, great collect the grand and go have a big night out... You lose the bet, that means your team won, go have a big night out anyway.

It's called an "emotional hedge" and it's actually a pretty common tactic for gamblers... You win the bet, great collect the grand and go have a big night out... You lose the bet, that means your team won, go have a big night out anyway.
exactly. Im not only emotionally hedging this game, but when the line moves, im bet hedging it too. Its something professionals do.

Despite the fact that the emotional hedge guarantees the bettor one positive outcome, it is rarely observed. Optimism bias, in which the probability of a positive outcome is overestimated by an emotionally-driven bettor, plays a part in many people's decision not to make the bet.[4] Many are also reluctant to make the bet because they feel that it is disloyal, that they are essentially betraying their favorite sports team.[5]

no, i am just smart lol. If someone said to you, here is a free $990 dollars (what Ill get if JMU wins by 4 or more) wouldnt you take the money?

Yeah ive been friends with ethan since before we could walk. He knows im in college and make good money sports betting lol. Its almost like my job, so I will treat it as such

First, God I hate to sound like Rifle.

Please tell me you don't go to Marshall with your impeccable grammerization.

u knoe i sports betting lol lol lol basically a 1st job lol lol lol 1k don't mean anything to i lol lol lol.

How come I think you are just a BS'er?

First, God I hate to sound like Rifle.

Please tell me you don't go to Marshall with your impeccable grammerization.

u knoe i sports betting lol lol lol basically a 1st job lol lol lol 1k don't mean anything to i lol lol lol.

How come I think you are just a BS'er?
I would go to marshall if they had a law school, but i will never give money to the school up north, so i am in florida

Reactions: herd66
I expect Pennington to start the second half.

I really doubt it but would be fun to see and why not, if we're getting destroyed?

But then again, a part of me thinks Huff overlooked Georgia St. When the commentators said Huff told them pregame he would likely pull Ali to keep him healthy for JMU the mentality could have already been there that he knows how difficult it's going to be to defeat JMU but didn't realize Georgia St would come at us like they did and with a solid game plan.

yes, i put $1,000 on us to lose by more than a field goal, to be exact. I usually do not bet on Marshall games at all, but the line was literally too easy to pass up free money.

If we win and I am out a grand, good. I bet what i can afford to lose and not even sweat it.
If I had a grand I did not need, I might have placed the same bet from watching how our Herd has played this year and watching 2 JMU games this year and seen how they played.

A 4-point dog to the #26 team in the country? Whew!! Sure better be glad that the Dukes are still "transitioning" from FCS to full-fledged FBS!! Can't stand to think of what carnage might occur if they were already at that level!!!

Reactions: herd66
A 4-point dog to the #26 team in the country? Whew!! Sure better be glad that the Dukes are still "transitioning" from FCS to full-fledged FBS!! Can't stand to think of what carnage might occur if they were already at that level!!!
Uhh, most everyone questions that line being only -4. Sometimes even Vegas doesn't get it right.

Besides, I'm not into moral victories and touting about being only a 4 point dog at home is exactly that.

Bet it wasn't a joke when MU was in the same position.
Get over yourself, JMU is playing good football and MU isn't.
What on Earth would make you expect MU to be a favorite?
Why shouldn't be we favored at home. I love when people get so offended when people like myself actually expect for us to be the better team. Also JMU is nothing like what we were when moved up. Let me know how many first rounders are currently on their roster.

If we would have beaten GaState we would have been favored tonight.

Why shouldn't be we favored at home. I love when people get so offended when people like myself actually expect for us to be the better team. Also JMU is nothing like what we were when moved up. Let me know how many first rounders are currently on their roster.

If we would have beaten GaState we would have been favored tonight.

That’s fine. You can “expect” us to be the Better team all ya want but the “two years removed from FCS” reasoning is lame, relatively pathetic, short sighted, and arrogant.

That’s fine. You can “expect” us to be the Better team all ya want but the “two years removed from FCS” reasoning is lame, relatively pathetic, short sighted, and arrogant.
No it's not. You cannot use what we did as a justification because no other team has done what we did and none of these other teams have had the loaded rosters we had.

FBS rosters are deeper and should have more talented players. If I had been a fan of any of those teams we beat in 1997 I would have been pissed off too. However we had two first round QBs on our roster and arguable the greatest WR to ever play the game. No one else can come close to saying that. Then we had draft picks on both sides of the line, at RB, and in the secondary. As I recall someone posted to this board that the reason the rules have changed for transitional teams is due in part to what we did.

Not sure why it doesn't bother you that every time we add new teams like JMU or even WKU and they come in, target us, and then pass us up that you're just fine with it.

No it's not. You cannot use what we did as a justification because no other team has done what we did and none of these other teams have had the loaded rosters we had.

FBS rosters are deeper and should have more talented players. If I had been a fan of any of those teams we beat in 1997 I would have been pissed off too. However we had two first round QBs on our roster and arguable the greatest WR to ever play the game. No one else can come close to saying that. Then we had draft picks on both sides of the line, at RB, and in the secondary. As I recall someone posted to this board that the reason the rules have changed for transitional teams is due in part to what we did.

Not sure why it doesn't bother you that every time we add new teams like JMU or even WKU and they come in, target us, and then pass us up that you're just fine with it.

Nobody has done what MU did?

Thing is, MU needed some pretty good players to do what they did.
Can anyone name the roster or starters for Boise when they beat Oklahoma?
That App State team who beat Michigan?
NDSU? Well, Wentz and Lance, but they were first round QB picks.

Those are far, far more notable and respected by the sports world.

JMU is 6-0 and the only FCS team in transition to FBS to do so.

Also, I am fairly certain, NIL and transfer portals have helped JMU since they can get more transfers and load up a roster with P5 and G5 players rather quickly.

What you're posting is frustration, but it's pointed in the wrong direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT