ADVERTISEMENT

A Feel Good Christmas Story - A Long One

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Back in April, I was leaving the rec center at the school where I was coaching. The street near the main entrance of the rec center is wide. It has a lane for traffic going each way and then parking areas on each side of the street. I was waiting for oncoming traffic to stop so that I could do a K turn.

As I was waiting, a car turned the corner in front of me at a high rate of speed and was driving directly at me in my lane. With a car parked on the side of me, I couldn't really do anything other than blare my horn at him as he got closer. At the last minute, the driver barely swerved, somehow managed to miss my car, but stuck up both middle fingers at me and had a serial-killer smile on his face as he passed by me. It probably only took about 5 seconds from the time he turned the corner until the time he passed me, but it was one of those things that seemed to be happening in slow-motion but you couldn't do anything about. Right after it happened, I heard somebody say "Holy fvcking shit!" There was a young guy sitting in his truck parked next to where I was in the street, and that was his reaction after seeing what happened. I waited for about 20 more seconds until oncoming traffic subsided, and then I proceeded with my K turn and drove back the opposite direction.

I drove about a mile through campus and ended up at a T intersection (I had a stop sign and could turn left or right, but there was no more road straight ahead). As I was reaching the T intersection, there was a car in front of me at the stop sign. I noticed that car was the first one at the intersection, as there was a truck that had pulled up after him at the stop sign on our left. As I stopped behind the car at the stop sign, I noticed the driver wave me around him (or so I thought). But I couldn't go around him, because the cars to our left who had a stop sign would simply proceed to turn right and run into me. After a few seconds, the driver again motioned to me, but I knew he should be able to see that I couldn't go around him without causing a shitshow for the cars turning into that lane. At that point, I thought there may be something wrong with the driver or the car, so I quickly got out to see what was going on. As I just about reached his back bumper, I started to say "What are you doing?" Before I could get all of it out, I saw the driver reach his arm out of the window, realized it was the same serial-killer smile guy from a few minutes earlier, and saw something in his hand. Again, in what seemed like slow-motion, I saw the object had a red hole in it and then saw a stream of some substance shoot out. I tried to turn my head, but whatever it was sprayed all over the side of my face and my shirt.

All I could think to say was "You're going to fvcking jail" as the car peeled out and disappeared. As he drove off, I was able to get his license plate number. A couple of cars saw it and asked if I was alright, but I jumped back in my car trying to find this guy. Within ten seconds, I realized I had no idea where he disappeared to.

I called the police and they had an officer come quickly to my house. She was a city police officer. As she took my story, she stopped and said that since it was an incident on campus, she had to contact her dispatcher to tell campus police to come take my statement. She said campus police gets very upset when city police intervene in their jurisdiction. So she waited with me for about twenty minutes (and had a ton of cool stories to change the opinion about my city which I thought was pretty damn safe for a huge college town). The campus officer came over, took my statement, took pictures of my face, was given the license plate number (after I had already told the dispatcher), etc.

I asked him if I was alright to clean my face off, etc., and he said that was fine to do. It was a mild burn with a strong odor. Hours later, I received a call from another officer. He asked if I had washed my face, which I told him I had. I told him that even though there was only a mild burn originally, as soon as I tried washing it off my face it became a very severe burning sensation. He then asked if I had washed the shirt yet. I told him that I hadn't, so he asked if I could drop it off as soon as possible. They wanted to send it to their lab to test what the substance was (of course, the responding officer should have thought to have done that). I dropped off the shirt to the campus police station and spoke to the investigator in charge. I asked him about who the guy was and inquired if they had any previous encounters with the guy, because it all seemed too planned out and weird. The guy clearly was trying to start an incident, he waited for probably a full minute at a stop sign hoping I would pull up behind him, then he immediately had a spray of some sort that was wrapped in some sort of fabric around his wrist . . . something that took some time to put on.

The investigator said that based on the plate number I gave, they were familiar with the driver and said that they have had some incidents involving mental health issues with him over the last 1.5 years.

A couple of weeks passed, and I surprisingly didn't hear anything. I know it isn't a murder case, but it was an assault that happened on campus, and if the guy had a history of mental issues, I would think it would take somewhat of a priority for them to contact him. I reached out to an investigator who apologized and said they had crossed up some paperwork; one investigator thought the other investigator was handling it. Yet another couple of weeks passed without hearing anything, so I again contacted the police station to inquire about it . . . didn't hear anything for a week. By this time, between their claim that they had some paperwork confusion, the responding officer telling me to wash my face and not thinking to take possession of the shirt to test it, them not responding for a month, etc., I realized these guys were jerkoffs. At that point, I emailed the university president to alert her of an assault on campus that happened and the police had not acted on it for a full month.

Days later, the investigator contacted me. He apologized (the other investigator apologized the last time) for the delay and this time blamed it on a new filing system they were utilizing. He asked me to come down to the station to give a complete statement and help identify the guy in a lineup.

I arrived and did the whole "The First 48" interrogation room thing. The investigator said the lab came back and said the substance had a nasty mixture of liquids in it which should have severely burned my face. They weren't sure how I wasn't in excruciating pain and was able to keep it on my face for over an hour. I had to write and sign a statement, then they had me try to select the guy out a lineup of six people. All of them looked alike -at least to the extent of how I had described the guy. I was sure that two of the six were not the guy, but I told them that I didn't want to choose one unless I was absolutely positive, so I could only narrow it down to four.

A few days later, the investigator told me that a warrant had been issued for the guy, who was a 31 year old student, and he'd be in touch in the near future. A few hours later, he called to tell me that they had arrested the guy. He said "With what we have him on, he won't be getting out anytime soon." I looked in the paper the next day and saw the guy was arrested and charged with a felony: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. A day later, I looked up the online jail records and saw that he had been bailed out.

This was in late April.

Two nights ago, I decided to Google it to see why I hadn't heard back about the criminal case. I came across some uncomfortable news: the guy killed himself in August, four months after his arrest.

Now, I know it's not my fault. I know the police said they were familiar with him from incidents they had with him because of mental issues. I know his family even put in his obituary that his favorite saying included "die young." I know that one of his close friends commented on Instagram about how he had some long-standing issues that he couldn't overcome. But still, it makes me wonder what I (or anybody) could have done differently.

By the appearance of it, the kid had a lot of friends. The restaurant where he worked celebrated his life one night by donating all profits to a local mental health organization. They all planted a tree in the back of the restaurant for him. A bunch of his coworkers got tattoos for him. Numerous people posted pictures with him over the years talking about how much they admired the way he lived. He had a bunch of siblings and step-siblings. He definitely was loved. The very night before he killed himself, he posted the below picture of him kissing his girlfriend when they were out that night. How does somebody go from having fun with his girlfriend out at the bars, then kills himself just hours later? I know me pressing charges wasn't why he killed himself, but it surely didn't make his mental issues any better.

I originally thought he was in his early to mid 20s, and I told the investigator that I didn't want to ruin the kid's life by pressing charges, but he urged me to do it based on the random nature of it, the violence involved, and the potential it could have (should have) had on my face. All I wanted to do was sit down with the kid and find out why he was targeting somebody that day and what was going on. I look at how other countries handle their justice system by using restorative justice instead of our retributive justice, and I think this is one of those where the "victim" would have much rather seen this kid explain what was going on his head, apologize, make amends somehow, and then seek and fulfill help for his mental issues instead of seeing him charged with a felony and whatever else was going to happen after that.

tmKa7c1.jpg

yppN2NJ.jpg

mvdvunF.jpg

you pushed some crazy guy over the edge to suicide and you left a substance on your face that you had no clue about other than it burned for an hour, and you feel good about it?

i'm not sure the dude that killed himself is the real psycho of this "feel good story" . . .

Reactions: johns1124
you pushed some crazy guy over the edge to suicide and you left a substance on your face that you had no clue about other than it burned for an hour, and you feel good about it?

i'm not sure the dude that killed himself is the real psycho of this "feel good story" . . .

You must be using that magical vape again that gives off no smoke or smell.

“Feel good” was sarcasm, hence why I was up at 1:30 am thinking about it, calling it “uncomfortable,” and explaining that I would have much rather had restorative justice used against him instead of retributive justice.

You must be using that magical vape again that gives off no smoke or smell.

“Feel good” was sarcasm, hence why I was up at 1:30 am thinking about it, calling it “uncomfortable,” and explaining that I would have much rather had restorative justice used against him instead of retributive justice.
yet, you effectively killed the guy. you should probably have a bleach cocktail to wash all of that guilt away.

Wonder if the mentally diseased guy in rifle's story was a board moderator...

I think the title was over the top, but the story you told certainly didn't indicate you enjoyed this. All you did was report a crime, as you should have. What happened after that was entirely on him. Sad story.

I think the title was over the top,

It was meant as sarcasm in that it's the complete opposite of a Christmas story, which tend to be happy and joyous.

How does a family handle a situation like that? Clearly, they had to have known their days were limited with him, right? He had multiple instances within the last 1.5 years with the police due to mental health issues, his favorite saying prominently included "die young," he had a therapy dog, and even look at the phrase he decided to put under his name on Instagram: "Kill yourself or die trying."

At some point, do loved ones simply accept that it's going to inevitably happen? You can't monitor an adult 24/7, and he seemed to show plenty of red flags and even a romanticizing of suicide and/or dying.

2yCxEAa.jpg

Rifle, you just happened to be his mark. He was crazy and the incident was random. You sitting him down and trying to talk to him wouldn’t have helped anything.

What I would like to know is how the sex was with the female cop?

Reactions: TheLondonBlitz
I saw the object had a red hole in it

Was it a squirt gun with one of those bright tips so you don't think it is a real gun, or like a bottle? Just curious. Years ago on a trip to Florida I saw a story on the news where these kids were going around doing drive-bys with a Super Soaker full of bleach water. Sure enough, they did the wrong guy and he shot back with an actual firearm and killed one them. Play stupid games....

Rifle, you just happened to be his mark. He was crazy and the incident was random. You sitting him down and trying to talk to him wouldn’t have helped anything.

I think the incident was planned. I think he was driving like that in hopes of getting a reaction from somebody. The fact that he had the weapon/spray ready to go, and seeing how it was configured in some sort of elaborate wrap that he had around his hand, reinforces that to me. The fact that instead of quickly swerving to get away from hitting me, he just slowly and barely moved while at the same time was ready with both middle fingers and a creepy smile makes me think he was staging something.

What I don't understand is how somebody can be so different throughout a short time. One thing I read from an ex of his is how she would get annoyed - but now cherished - how each time they would see a disabled vehicle, regardless of the time or situation, he would make her pull over and assist with him . . . because in his words, "Goddamnit, we are good people, and that's just what good people do." Then, to see him kissing and enjoying time with his girlfriend out at the bars right before taking his own life seems so opposite of what you'd expect a severely depressed person to be doing.

What I would like to know is how the sex was with the female cop?

I contemplated it but couldn't do it. She had a cute face, but it was hard to tell her body type with all of that gear on. She also came across as butch, or at least lacking femininity, though I tend to think most girls in a police uniform seem that way.

She was a bit overly friendly though. There are about 14 miles of a trail system in my city. One of the trail-heads is about two blocks from me hidden in a very residential area where you wouldn't expect it. She asked if I ever went there and then continued on about how she always wanted to explore them, but she was worried about getting lost since she wasn't familiar with the trails and wanted to go with somebody familiar with them.

During our time waiting for the campus police officer to show up, a firetruck stopped at my house. A buddy of mine on the truck saw me talking to the police officer in my driveway and was being nosy and wanted to see what was going on. I introduced the two of them and tried setting that up, but I don't think I have ran into the fireman again to ask what came of it.

Was it a squirt gun with one of those bright tips so you don't think it is a real gun, or like a bottle? Just curious. Years ago on a trip to Florida I saw a story on the news where these kids were going around doing drive-bys with a Super Soaker full of bleach water. Sure enough, they did the wrong guy and he shot back with an actual firearm and killed one them. Play stupid games....

It was some sort of self-defense weapon/spray that had a red nozzle on the end of it. It was fairly long (at least 4") and thin, black with a red nozzle, and it was lodged into some sort of wrap (not sure if it was Velcro or what). It looked more like a longer, thinner cartridge as opposed to a typical canister of pepper spray.

After getting the lab results back, the investigator thought he may have had it built into that wrap thing so that none of it would get on his skin when it was used. I can't recall everything that the lab said was in the mixture, but it had a strong propane smell to it.

I just hope he didn’t ruin one of your $1000 sweaters

As I said, I was leaving the rec center. I don't wear sweaters when I work out.

And $1000? The last one posted was over $2000 with tax. But thanks for mentioning that. Just yesterday (see the receipt dates), I bought a $1200 vest from Armani and a $300 Gucci scarf as a gift. The receipt claims it's silk for some reason, but it is cashmere.

Do you pay or get paid to give those 10 year olds body rubs? If the latter, how many body rubs does it take to be able to get a $2000 sweater, $1200 vest, and $300 scarf?

NezXiid.jpg

C31asdJ.jpg

jf3GPEO.jpg

That silk scarf was purchased in Texas. Did any big cowboys give you a funny look when you took that up to the cashier?

Outlet stores? And it’s not even Giorgio? I’m disappointed.

I think what you really got was the Jodi Foster scene from the original Silence of the Lambs movie. You know when she went down in the cells and the guy....That was no squirt gun.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
And it’s not even Giorgio? I’m disappointed.

The previously mentioned $2000 sweater, the blazer, the pants, and I believe the polo that were on here a couple of weeks ago are all Giorgio.

Edit: the polo is Armani Collezioni, as is the warm up suit from last month and some of the others. Armani Collezioni, as a whole, makes better looking (and fitting) pieces.

What if Google would have returned a story where he murdered two people on campus instead of killing himself? Would you have been at fault for their deaths by not pressing charges?

I'm not taking responsibility for his suicide. I'm voicing that I wish I could have done something to help him, especially weeks after the incident when I found out that he had prior police run-ins due to mental issues.

I'm not taking responsibility for his suicide. I'm voicing that I wish I could have done something to help him, especially weeks after the incident when I found out that he had prior police run-ins due to mental issues.
I understand that, but what's wrong about shopping for $400.00 giraffes in Texas?

What I don't understand is how somebody can be so different throughout a short time. One thing I read from an ex of his is how she would get annoyed - but now cherished - how each time they would see a disabled vehicle, regardless of the time or situation, he would make her pull over and assist with him . . . because in his words, "Goddamnit, we are good people, and that's just what good people do." Then, to see him kissing and enjoying time with his girlfriend out at the bars right before taking his own life seems so opposite of what you'd expect a severely depressed person to be doing.
Depressed people go through highs and lows, the higher (happier) they get, the lower (more depressed) they will get when the pendulum swings. They will also want to help make other people happy because they do not want others to feel the same way as they do, one of my brother's best friends struggled with severe depression, she posted a number of happy/feel good posts on facebook in the weeks/months leading up to her throwing herself in front of a train.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT