ADVERTISEMENT

A year to remember

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Okay, I have no idea where this years team ranks all time in Marshall basketball folklore but I know this.

We went 2-2 against teams in the Top 25. The 1971-72 team went 1-2 against ranked teams.

We won 25 games. Only the 83-84 and 86-87 Huck teams won that many. ( I am aware that the 1946 Cam Henderson team won 32) I just don't think there is any way we can compare that team to any of our teams from the 50's on after we joined the MAC. JMO.

We won a game in the Big Dance, only time in program history.

Granted we lost a few games we shouldn't have, but this team was special no matter where you think it falls in history.My personal view is this team was maybe tied for second best with the 83-84 team.I still think the 71-72 team was #1 but this team was closer than I think many of us would care to admit based on results on the court not potential. I suppose someone might say the 66-67 team was up there. My reason for not putting them equal is they played no ranked teams that year.

Finally, a D'antoni either played or coached 3 of the 4 best Marshall team ever. Just saying....

Reactions: AtlantaHerdFan
Agree pretty much with the assessment. Also, yes hard to compare, due to numerous changes, teams from decades ago to today's squads. When Danny played, Herd, and others, could play no more than 24 regular season games. Today, its up to 31. NCAA tourney limited to less than half the teams that get in today. Playing 16 to 18 conference foes a season left little room for many OOC games. Unless in a league like the ACC, not much chance for MU to play a top 20 foe. Of course, after the first NIT season, the Herd did get the game at the Garden against No.1 Houston and Elvin Hayes the following season.

Remember, in those days too there weren't many of the post season Conference tourneys. Of course, in those days, too, the football season was shorter, only 10 regular season games, and no post season conference championship games. Even with a bowl, teams couldn't play more than 11 games a season: Now 12 in the regular season is the norm.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT