ADVERTISEMENT

American Sports Network Streaming and Chromecast Device and App

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Thundering Faithful, trolling eers included at NO CHARGE! How's that for diplomacy Dan?

I've been messing around with the American Sports Network site on my android phone. They've been working on it, and even though it still isn't 100% intuitive it's been constantly improving. Here in Atlanta the move to the ASN network has been disastrous for our club and viewership. Moreover the local station capable of putting us on over the air won't!

I think our solution hopefully is now here which is the cast screen beta app chromecast (google) is developing. We have 3 upcoming men's hoops game one on the 17th w FAU the 24th with UTEP a 3pm eastern start and one on the 31st with La Tech a 5:30pm start. One thing we all learned and liked last year was that ASN does a good job streaming content quite well.

If one goes to the ASN website (americansportsnet.com) you have to play around with it a bit, but start by selecting men's basketball, then choose the conference , CUSA, then the teams come up, choose then of course Marshall and then choose the monthy display calendar. It will highlight the 3 games aforementioned and hopefully all we will have to do then is click on the play marker.

All that said for so many of us sports addicts with plasma TVs we want to enjoy our beloved herd on the big screen. Here's where the new chromecast device and app can help. Simply buy the 35.00 chromecast device at your local store then install the app on your phone or iPad. Once you've been able to dial up the game and have it streaming, you can click on the app and start casting the screen of your device/phone/tablet to the plasma TV that has the chrome cast device plugged into the back of it.

You'll find that it works amazingly well and that even though your big screen will be slightly darker than it is when its live TV not streamed it's easy to brighten if need be under settings.

At any rate, I'm certain much of our fan base knows of this technology but probably many still don't which is why wanted to share it. As for us here in Atlanta next year we intend to use the cast app technology to allow anyone that wants to come to our bar to watch the games....when last year we were at the mercy of direct tv adding to some obscure station our bar may not have had.

I watched the full rerun of the Boca Bowl on the ESPN 3 app off of my phone and chromecasted it to my big screen and espn3 is a great free app worth having but you must sign in under your TV or internet carrier. Sound and picture were really good , not perfect, but decent.

All this said, Hopefully ASN will continue to stream every game they air over the air, if so we all will be able to enjoy every Marshall game on our Big screen TV.

or you could buy a $5 hdmi cable ($2 for a vga/dvi to hdmi adapter) and just plug your laptop or pc into your TV...

Originally posted by andy4theherd:
or you could buy a $5 hdmi cable ($2 for a vga/dvi to hdmi adapter) and just plug your laptop or pc into your TV...
I have a chromecast but I tend to agree. There are lots of good options for watching web streams on your TV. You also could spend a little more money (around $50) and buy a quad core Android media player box that could stream web videos plus you have the benefit of being able to use various other android software like Kodi media player.

To watch web streams I usually either use my android box or I plug my computer or cellphone into the TVs HDMI port.

My TV is mounted on an articulating arm. It doesent sit on a table, so the chromecast device allows me to wirelessly power the device and also I don't have to plug or unplug or find a plug for anything. It's press an app and cast screen. What I like about it most is when I want to go back to Direct TV again uncast and your back. No boxes, no cables , no clutter.

I don't have occasion to stream content that much, so the lack of another box laying somewhere or grabbing and plugging in a cable makes the device worth it to me.

Still it's just good we finally may have reliable streaming of content with access if we are OTA via Sinclair.

My only question is, if all of a sudden 70,000 people are streaming content will that make the stream less reliable?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT