ADVERTISEMENT

Another bad

thundermax

Silver Buffalo
Oct 2, 2005
game for the Herd! We can't hit a lay up. Penova should be benched he's hurting us. Damn we need some big men who can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time.

I have been hesitant to criticize the bball team or staff, but this is flat out embarrassing. Total breakdown in the second half, completely lost on D, soft on the road, totally outclassed by the best teams in our league. The silver lining is that this road trip came early enough for us to realize exactly who we are and that is not a top team in this league.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Have no idea what DD expects as I noticed during the MTSU game he does a lot of standing with his arms folded just watching vs at least looking like he is making an atttempt to change the flow of the game , do something just dont stand there and watch - guess the State of WV vs CUSA is not panning out

Yep... the only thing flat about this game was the shooting. We didn't hit shots and they did. Our defense was above average (for us) and showed a lot of fight. Loop couldn't hit his shots to save his life and EVERYONE aside from Taylor had a tough time getting going. We're talking about the two toughest opponents we'll face on the road with the exception of maybe WKU.

We must beat teams a little better than us. Cant lose every single game we are not favored on. We need more layups and less 3's. Tell dan we are not the houston rockets

We must beat teams a little better than us. Cant lose every single game we are not favored on. We need more layups and less 3's. Tell dan we are not the houston rockets

Problem was we couldn't make either with much proficiency today. Trying to get the ball inside to Penava for a lay up is futile: he can't make them with any regularity. He gets the slightest bump he loses his balance, etc. Gets bounced around like a pinball or like a tissue paper in a 30 mph wind. He could have used a redshirt year with some SERIOUS STRENGTH training!! Then, too, our foul shooting today was CRAP, around 50 per cent. I am somewhat disturbed that some of the defensive minded teams we are playing are starting to get into Elmore's head. Play him tight, get into his jersey, so to speak, and his game suffers, especially if doesn't get a call EVERY TIME SOMEONE PLAYS HIM TIGHT. He starts to press offensively, it seems, rushes shots, wild threes or erratic shots on drives, and STARTS TO PRESS AT THE FOUL LINE. THAT IS WHEN D'ANTONI NEEDS TO REALLY "COACH", UNFOLD HIS DAMN ARMS, GET ELMORE TO THE SIDELINE AND CALM HIM DOWN, TALK TO HIM, ETC.

Geez, now some of you are turning on Dantoni now too? Some fans of Marshall University are a pain in the behind. Maybe some should just just be OSU football fans and then root for Kansas in basketball. Then you will be happy...Maybe.

Geez, now some of you are turning on Dantoni now too? Some fans of Marshall University are a pain in the behind. Maybe some should just just be OSU football fans and then root for Kansas in basketball. Then you will be happy...Maybe.

No Surbadger, don't really give a popcorn fart about those other 2 schools. Maybe some, many of us who can actually recall, now nearly a half century ago, when MU was competent in basketball and played it on a rather high level, are sick and tired of the continual mediocrity and nondescript brand of ball that, with a rare exception or two, has become the Herd's hallmark in round ball. Tired of the shortcuts, the gimmicks, the lip service, and, quite frankly, the half assed and half hearted attitude our athletic department has taken vis-a-vis MU basketball! Its clear that taking the low road and doing it "on the cheap" isn't working, and hasn't worked. Now that the Hamrick approach is unravelling in football also just makes a lot of long suffering, yet loyal, Herd fans, followers, alums, etc., justifiably cynical. Nothing personal against Danny D.; its just the frustration with and realization of MU's mediocrity and status as a non-entity in the world of D1 basketball!!

No since in panicking. We are a middle of the road mid major and that's what we'll always be. Enjoy it and roll with it. We'll finish around 18-13 in the regular season and see what we do in the league tourney.

This basketball team reminds me of the Snyder years, win half the games at home and lose them all on the road

No since in panicking. We are a middle of the road mid major and that's what we'll always be. Enjoy it and roll with it. We'll finish around 18-13 in the regular season and see what we do in the league tourney.

Yes, that's what we'll always be, "mediocre", with your kind of attitude that accepts such status as the norm. Sadly, our administration and apparently much, maybe the majority, of our fan base accepts the status quo and is all right with it. For such folks, I say why don't we just do away with keeping score at Marshall games. Then maybe we all won't have to be concerned about being a "mid major middle of the road" team, i.e., mediocre, or make any effort to rise above that level.

Yep... the only thing flat about this game was the shooting. We didn't hit shots and they did. Our defense was above average (for us) and showed a lot of fight. Loop couldn't hit his shots to save his life and EVERYONE aside from Taylor had a tough time getting going. We're talking about the two toughest opponents we'll face on the road with the exception of maybe WKU.

I was at MTSU to witness the game. They are a better team than The Herd. Recall...they won the tournament last March and defeated Michigan State in Round 1. Their "bigs" had little resistance from our guys, other than Taylor, scoring most of their points from inside the foul line. The rebounding differance had to have been substantial.

Speaking of Taylor...he was beaten up all night with no calls against MTSU. The techinical called against him late in the contest was total BS. He was frustrated and had "had enough."

Good game plan by the MTSU staff...their defense "pushed our soooters" well beyond the 3-point line, thus, many balls were heaved from outside the NBA line. It will be interesting how The HERD handles both UAB & MTSU in Huntington (Feb. 16 & 18).

HELP is on the way...next year....

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

Yes, that's what we'll always be, "mediocre", with your kind of attitude that accepts such status as the norm. Sadly, our administration and apparently much, maybe the majority, of our fan base accepts the status quo and is all right with it. For such folks, I say why don't we just do away with keeping score at Marshall games. Then maybe we all won't have to be concerned about being a "mid major middle of the road" team, i.e., mediocre, or make any effort to rise above that level.

Obviously my attempt at sarcasm wasn't successful. I was appeasing all our fans that accept losing and feel everything in the Schewey is just fine.

AMEN...AMEN

Sweeney (HerdZilla22 in Charlotte)

No Surbadger, don't really give a popcorn fart about those other 2 schools. Maybe some, many of us who can actually recall, now nearly a half century ago, when MU was competent in basketball and played it on a rather high level, are sick and tired of the continual mediocrity and nondescript brand of ball that, with a rare exception or two, has become the Herd's hallmark in round ball. Tired of the shortcuts, the gimmicks, the lip service, and, quite frankly, the half assed and half hearted attitude our athletic department has taken vis-a-vis MU basketball! Its clear that taking the low road and doing it "on the cheap" isn't working, and hasn't worked. Now that the Hamrick approach is unravelling in football also just makes a lot of long suffering, yet loyal, Herd fans, followers, alums, etc., justifiably cynical. Nothing personal against Danny D.; its just the frustration with and realization of MU's mediocrity and status as a non-entity in the world of D1 basketball!!

Marshall is into 2 & 1/3 years of the basketball program under the direction of Dan.
Expectations are way too high from the Cluster-Truck left from the past staff. Help is on the way with the big guy [Baby Shack] that has committed to Dan. Things will be looking up. Losing Ryan Taylor will be big...but there are more Taylors out there to be convinced to come play "Danny Ball."

Don't take your frustrations out on Dan....take them out against the state of affairs that Donald Trump has inherited. Now that is really something to be stress about. Here's Hoping President Trump can right the "storm" America faces now. Just think of all the wasted $$$$ on campaign ads for over two years...had that money been directed at the homeless, battered women & children, unemployed and HEALTHCARE...as Louie once sang..."What a Wonderful World this Would Be."

Marshall basketball is really a very small "thing" in the scheme of life......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
No Sweeney help is not on the way next year. DDs big is a NQ won't be until 2 years. MU will be even smaller next year with Taylor gone. Dan needs to get with it and start really recruiting - outside of West Virginia - you know, kinda like big brother to our north. Huggins takes very few WV kids and has a program. Back to your statement about next year - do you have any idea how many times we Herd fans have heard about "next year"? I'm 70 years old and not sure how many more "next year" or "next season" I have left. I hope though you are right and I am wrong about help for the basketball team next year though.

I was at MTSU to witness the game. They are a better team than The Herd. Recall...they won the tournament last March and defeated Michigan State in Round 1. Their "bigs" had little resistance from our guys, other than Taylor, scoring most of their points from inside the foul line. The rebounding differance had to have been substantial.

Speaking of Taylor...he was beaten up all night with no calls against MTSU. The techinical called against him late in the contest was total BS. He was frustrated and had "had enough."

Good game plan by the MTSU staff...their defense "pushed our soooters" well beyond the 3-point line, thus, many balls were heaved from outside the NBA line. It will be interesting how The HERD handles both UAB & MTSU in Huntington (Feb. 16 & 18).

HELP is on the way...next year....

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)
MTSU out rebounded MU by 33. They were +20 in offensive rebounds.

Would you rather have players like Canty? I would 100 times rather have the players we have.

Guys like Nikolic, Milo, Theineman, Kilgore, Frampton, even Penava at times? Hell, at some point, after 2 or 3 years players are going to HAVE TO PRODUCE in GAME SITUATIONS and not just occupy space on the bench. Danny is going to have to up his quality of recruits significantly if this program is ever going to be a consistent CONTENDER FOR CONFERENCE TITLES AND POST SEASON PARTICIPATION. Like it or not, college sports at the D1 level IS a business, not a social welfare agency. It is time for the staff to tell some on this squad that they need to be looking at other options, as MU is going in another direction, personnel wise.

As for "help on the way", unless someone has heard something different, the last word I got was that BOTH of Danny's recruits, bigs from Fork Union, may not be eligible in 2017-18. But, NOT TO WORRY, we've got all that "talent" from Eastern Europe that this staff has been "developing", right??

Surbadger those Eastern European players are not the solution. They are part of the problem.
really? he picked up a few Euros when he took over. He is currently not recruiting any Euros that I am aware of.He is recruiting solid kids to build a program. We have done it your way and haven't been dancing since 87. Bringing in kids who quit, get arrested or leave... how has that been working out? That's what I thought- it hasn't. This may not either but darn it I for one am willing to give it a shot. Get into year 4/5 and we are going 18-12 then bring it on, but not now. DD is a great guy a great teacher and I believe a great choice to lead the Herd.

No we are just analyzing another possibly non qualifer. We are getting very good with so many years of doing this. I like Dan but were not the rockerts

I'll ask you this then, would you rather have our current "developing" players and have a shot at actually making it to post season tourneys or having bigger guys like before and only winning 11-12 games a year?

Some people are just not ever happy...

Were you happy when we went to the NIT, Surbadger? Apparently not. Yet you seem somewhat "giddy" about "having a shot" at some unclear future point in time.

Were you happy when we went to the NIT, Surbadger? Apparently not. Yet you seem somewhat "giddy" about "having a shot" at some unclear future point in time.

I'll ask you this, would you rather have a team that has gotten worse each year like under Herrion, or a program on the rise? That is what we are.

We play a unique style of basketball. Dantoni had bare cupboards when he got here, he also had little time to recruit his first year.

You seem to have a problem with our recruiting. What exactly is the problem with our recruiting? The WV players are some of the most talented on the team, and Dantoni has started to branch out in his recruiting from his first couple years. I have no problem with getting players from WV that are the best in the state. We might not have many D1 caliber players in our state, but why let the best of the state go to rival universities like in years past?

Also, Bennett will not be a NQ because of grades, it would be because his last Prep School screwed the pooch.

I just do not understand what you are complaining about? It's not like we have been a powerhouse... I will say this and also say that I loved watching some of those players.

Wilkerson, Pitts, Tennan, Johnson, Lutz, Kane. We had some ballers in the past, but we had less success with those players than with Dantoni's recruits.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
I'll ask you this, would you rather have a team that has gotten worse each year like under Herrion, or a program on the rise? That is what we are.

We play a unique style of basketball. Dantoni had bare cupboards when he got here, he also had little time to recruit his first year.

You seem to have a problem with our recruiting. What exactly is the problem with our recruiting? The WV players are some of the most talented on the team, and Dantoni has started to branch out in his recruiting from his first couple years. I have no problem with getting players from WV that are the best in the state. We might not have many D1 caliber players in our state, but why let the best of the state go to rival universities like in years past?

Also, Bennett will not be a NQ because of grades, it would be because his last Prep School screwed the pooch.

I just do not understand what you are complaining about? It's not like we have been a powerhouse... I will say this and also say that I loved watching some of those players.

Wilkerson, Pitts, Tennan, Johnson, Lutz, Kane. We had some ballers in the past, but we had less success with those players than with Dantoni's recruits.

A roster full of WV players and sub par euros will not win championships in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Sweeney help is not on the way next year. DDs big is a NQ won't be until 2 years. MU will be even smaller next year with Taylor gone. Dan needs to get with it and start really recruiting - outside of West Virginia - you know, kinda like big brother to our north. Huggins takes very few WV kids and has a program. Back to your statement about next year - do you have any idea how many times we Herd fans have heard about "next year"? I'm 70 years old and not sure how many more "next year" or "next season" I have left. I hope though you are right and I am wrong about help for the basketball team next year though.

DD is scared to go to the hood and get real players, he recruits where he is comfortable. And he won't recruit Alpha Dogs, just yes men

Amen dctherd! Others disagree (Ohio Herd). Time will tell. Great he gives WV players not being recruited by any D1 powers and Eastern Euro players of whom one he said could be NBA caliber! Well they haven't shown that type of ability yet. Still I support our team and I wish Dan success. I hope i am completely and totally wrong and will be the first to say I was wrong. Still I do not see us winning CUSA, going to the NCAA and probably no NIT invite either. Perhaps on the "Pay to Play" joke tournament.

Surbadger, you have a very short and faulty memory. Herrion's first 2 years achieved more than ANY MU teams since. Yes, the wheels fell off his last 2 seasons and carried over into Danny's first season. And his demise was due more to a lack of discipline and fact that too many of his recruits became known for their off and sometimes on the floor antics rather than the caliber of their basketball play.

When the current staff has back to back 20 win seasons and NIT appearance, or better, then your comments will be more valid. No one wants the Herd to succeed more, but it is clear to many that some changes, improvement in the level and caliber of recruits, is going to be required. Having a bench nearly full of 304 boys who are NOT Legitimate caliber D1 players is in and of itself not going to help MU achieve DD's stated goals!!

Surbadger, you have a very short and faulty memory. Herrion's first 2 years achieved more than ANY MU teams since. Yes, the wheels fell off his last 2 seasons and carried over into Danny's first season. And his demise was due more to a lack of discipline and fact that too many of his recruits became known for their off and sometimes on the floor antics rather than the caliber of their basketball play.

When the current staff has back to back 20 win seasons and NIT appearance, or better, then your comments will be more valid. No one wants the Herd to succeed more, but it is clear to many that some changes, improvement in the level and caliber of recruits, is going to be required. Having a bench nearly full of 304 boys who are NOT Legitimate caliber D1 players is in and of itself not going to help MU achieve DD's stated goals!!

Shhh I dont want you to run another poster off the board by providing facts

The problem I have is not "the 304 boys on the bench", but the fact that they don't play. I know I don't see practice everyday but from what I've seen and heard, I think they would do better than the subs who do play-and no I'm not going to name anybody specifically as I don't like to go negative on individual players. Elmore, Browning and Burkes are extremely productive and more than competeive in CUSA. Bledsoe, Kilgore and the older Elmore were all all state AAA in W.Va like the other 3(Kilgore being player of the year also). I'm pretty confident that given the opportunities that some reserves have been given, those 3 would do fine as well. JMO and a biased W.Van.
Their main problem is none of them are a "big", Bledsoe being the biggest.

Reactions: FanofThunder
I can wait for the dillion kid from mingo central to start as a freshman. Real good freshmam start everywhere but here but that will change

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT