ADVERTISEMENT

Army series canceled

I figured that was coming. 3 FCS games? When is spears going to announce our OOC opponents for 2025? It’s really an embarrassment on Christian Spears part.
I've been a vocal critic of Spears, but none of this situation is his fault... The Army series was signed in 2019 before he got here, and they are cancelling because they are joining a conference in 2025, and they have to have open nonconference dates for Navy and Air Force.

As for the other two open weeks in 2025, that is on Spears... It's passed time to fill those (one of them will almost definitely be an FCS game at home).

You have to assume we'll play an FCS team every year moving forward. I wouldn't mind playing a money game every year as well. With college football moving the way it is and P5's needing to schedule "up" to get consideration for the playoff, getting a quality opponent in the Joan will be incredibly hard in the future.

Note from the article:

25:
That means two more games need to be canceled among the group consisting of Kansas State (away), Marist (home), Syracuse (away), and Lafayette (home).
and

Army is now down to five non-conference opponents ... with the final cancellation likely being either Syracuse (home), Coastal Carolina (away) or Wake Forest (away).
Army will clearly play Marist and probably ULL. So either K-State or Syracuse, or both, will be looking for a home opponent in 25. Probably would want to write a check, as they both already have a I-AA., and need a I-A team. Either would be a nice game. As to 26, Wake Forest is a doable trip, but I don't know how much they would be willing to pay.

Note from the article:

25:

and

Army will clearly play Marist and probably ULL. So either K-State or Syracuse, or both, will be looking for a home opponent in 25. Probably would want to write a check, as they both already have a I-AA., and need a I-A team. Either would be a nice game. As to 26, Wake Forest is a doable trip, but I don't know how much they would be willing to pay.
that’s FCS Lafayette College, not ULL

I've been a vocal critic of Spears, but none of this situation is his fault... The Army series was signed in 2019 before he got here, and they are cancelling because they are joining a conference in 2025, and they have to have open nonconference dates for Navy and Air Force.

As for the other two open weeks in 2025, that is on Spears... It's passed time to fill those (one of them will almost definitely be an FCS game at home).
Correct, Army joining the AAC has caused them to cancel a lot of games. Liberty also dropped a lot of scheduled games when they joined CUSA. Army also cancelled home and home series with GA Southern; Liberty and Ball State. With the required AAC conference games along with annual games with Air Force and Navy, Army now only has a few openings on their schedule for OOC games.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
We have some history with Kansas State... Seems like that would be a good phone call to make first. Playing K-State on the road and picking up an FCS team would make a lot of sense at this juncture.

Home: FCS team
Away: Kansas State
Home: Middle Tennessee
- Open -

A quick look at FBSschedles.com shows that there are many teams that have open space, either have 2 slots open and have not yet signed a I-AA, or have one slot still open after signing the I-AA. CS will, again, have failed if we don't get 11 I-A opponents in both years.

I think a lot of this goes back to Hamrick.

He put together some nice OOC schedules early in his tenure, that played out in the late teens, but look at how barren our future OOC schedules are compared to most teams. And it’s been like that since before CS got here.

It’s like after about the time he scheduled that NC state and Louisville series, he just stopped trying.

I remember when we were playing those games people were talking about what an amazing scheduler he was. But all I remember thinking is this guy hadn’t scheduled a great OOC series in years.

It’s like him and Holiday mailed it in around the same time and just started stealing their paychecks.

So a big series MH scheduled with Army in 2019,

which got cancelled because Army is half-way joining THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! and thus has to dump most of its non-conference schedule is MH fault, 3 years after he was fired by the cabal.

MH should have known that Texas and Oklahoma were going to end the Big 2, Little 8 experiment and join the SEC and the ripple effects of that would include Army joining the AAC. Stupid MH.

Worst take ever.

Everybody always wants someone to blame for shit when it happens... Army cancelling this series is not Spears fault, and its certainly not Hamricks fault. He signed a deal 5 years in the future, assuming it would be played, how would he possibly know more than a year after he left the AD position that Army would join a conference and cancel the games.

We need Spears to find us two FBS opponents for 2025 in the next few months (by the start of this coming season)... He can do it, it's not rocket science, just a matter of finding teams with dates that work out. Realignment has made the whole situation what it is.

Last edited:
So a big series MH scheduled with Army in 2019,

which got cancelled because Army is half-way joining THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! and thus has to dump most of its non-conference schedule is MH fault, 3 years after he was fired by the cabal.

MH should have known that Texas and Oklahoma were going to end the Big 2, Little 8 experiment and join the SEC and the ripple effects of that would include Army joining the AAC. Stupid MH.

Worst take ever.
I’m not just talking about this series.

I’m talking about the fact we have an EXTREMELY limited slate of games scheduled, when many teams are booked up for a decade.

That’s what makes this one uncontrollable scheduling issue so damaging.

I’m not just talking about this series.

I’m talking about the fact we have an EXTREMELY limited slate of games scheduled, when many teams are booked up for a decade.

That’s what makes this one uncontrollable scheduling issue so damaging.
Many schools are booked through 2026, but not a single one of our peers is anywhere close to booked up for a decade.

App State, JMU, Coastal, UAB and Louisiana have multiple openings every year from 2027-2034. Southern Miss, WKU, FIU and Georgia State all still have openings for 2025.

Heck, even LSU still needs a 2025 game. Alabama is only fully scheduled through 2025.

Yeah, we're way behind the ball for 2025 (mainly because we literally just lost two previously scheduled games in the past 24 hours), but 2027 and 2028 are already 75% full.

Assuming Spears announces additional games soon (expect a P4 and FCS game announced for 2025 within the next few weeks) I really don't see anything that's overly damaging.

He put together some nice OOC schedules early in his tenure, that played out in the late teens, but look at how barren our future OOC schedules are compared to most teams. And it’s been like that since before CS got here.

It’s like after about the time he scheduled that NC state and Louisville series, he just stopped trying.

I remember when we were playing those games people were talking about what an amazing scheduler he was. But all I remember thinking is this guy hadn’t scheduled a great OOC series in years.

It’s like him and Holiday mailed it in around the same time and just started stealing their paychecks.

I thought your post about "teams being booked OOC for the next decade" was a terrible take but I missed this one.

You certainly try to outdo yourself in foolishness, don't you?

Everybody always wants someone to blame for shit when it happens... Army cancelling this series is not Spears fault, and its certainly not Hamricks fault. He signed a deal 5 years in the future, assuming it would be played, how would he possibly know more than a year after he left the AD position that Army would join a conference and cancel the games.

We need Spears to find us two FBS opponents for 2025 in the next few months (by the start of this coming season)... He can do it, it's not rocket science, just a matter of finding teams with dates that work out. Realignment has made the whole situation what it is.

People think (and expect) a G5 AD somehow can shake up P5 conferences and schedule anyone.
Then get on him for being inept when he can't.

Then see the utter insanity going on with NCAA football.

Then go ballistic with pessimism when he schedules someone because it's "not anyone fun or exciting."

I thought your post about "teams being booked OOC for the next decade" was a terrible take but I missed this one.

You certainly try to outdo yourself in foolishness, don't you?
“Try to outdo yourself in foolishness” because I have a different opinion than you?

This is why I hardly ever post here anymore. It’s one thing to point out why you disagree with something somebody posts.

But you can’t hardly post anything here without somebody coming out of the woodwork to tell you how stupid you are.

It’s exhausting.

What the hell are we all doing here? If this isn’t a place where a bunch of people who have no idea what they’re talking about come together To kill time until football season

“Try to outdo yourself in foolishness” because I have a different opinion than you?

This is why I hardly ever post here anymore. It’s one thing to point out why you disagree with something somebody posts.

But you can’t hardly post anything here without somebody coming out of the woodwork to tell you how stupid you are.

It’s exhausting.

What the hell are we all doing here? If this isn’t a place where a bunch of people who have no idea what they’re talking about come together To kill time until football season

I imagine you hardly ever post here because you tend to get things wrong.
You were called out for your inaccurate statement about teams being booked for the next decade, which clearly isn't true as many teams were listed as having openings.

You then tried to blame Hamrick for the OOC schedule, omitting he had scheduled teams years in advance, and MU had some very good OOC teams to play but weather, COVID, and now conference re-alignment, have hindered the process.

You have a different opinion, which is fine. It's when you try to pass it off as some sort of fact, when it isn't, that gets the deserved response.

I imagine you hardly ever post here because you tend to get things wrong.
You were called out for your inaccurate statement about teams being booked for the next decade, which clearly isn't true as many teams were listed as having openings.

You then tried to blame Hamrick for the OOC schedule, omitting he had scheduled teams years in advance, and MU had some very good OOC teams to play but weather, COVID, and now conference re-alignment, have hindered the process.

You have a different opinion, which is fine. It's when you try to pass it off as some sort of fact, when it isn't, that gets the deserved response.
Well you imagine incorrectly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT