ADVERTISEMENT

Around College Football

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
1) Somebody is going to open up the coffers for Jason Eck, and Marshall should be the one to do it (assuming eight wins aren't reached this year).
2) Somebody is going to do the same for Barry Odom, but Marshall won't be able to afford him.
3) The west virginia performance was even worse than the score showed. They were gifted three points on a horrible 4th down spot when the commentators all agreed that progress was stopped at least a half-yard before the sticks. The club seats behind the end zone are awful to see on television. It looks like nobody is there, and that was before the weather delay.
4) Some people don't look good with facial hair, yet they still do it. One example is your wife. It's time she shaves that shit. Another example is Neal Brown. Sure, he looks goofy regardless, but it's even worse with his attempt at facial hair.
5) Whose luster has faded faster: Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, or PJ Fleck? Sure, they're all making great money, but all three of them over the last few years were expected to be at a blue-blood school by now. In college football, if you don't take the bigger paycheck once it comes and bet on yourself that you can produce the same success over the next year or two, you're likely to get stung. Jeff Traylor should take note.
6) UCLA has a great defense, and that will allow them to be somewhat successful this year. But does anybody else think DeShaun Foster knows what the fvck he is doing and was a lazy and horrendous hire?
7) Northwestern's temporary stadium this year makes FIU's stadium look like the Taj Mahal.
8) Arkansas State got very, very lucky multiple times to come up with a last second win against Central Arkansas.
9) Abilene Christian's receivers made big plays all games, then they couldn't do the same multiple times over the last few minutes and overtime that would have won them their game at Texas Tech.
10) Dana Holgorsen got paid a ton of money to leave Houston in a really shitty spot.

That was an enjoyable review. You should do that every week so I don’t have to watch any games. I really tried to sit down and enjoy the contests like I always have the first big Saturday of each college football season, but I just wasn’t into it this year.

Since the NIL program took over, I find that I’m not as interested. I watched about ten minutes of the Morgantown game then I drove out for a new vehicle inspection sticker and to look at nursery trees. Had a milkshake too.

I found a wonderful little plant nursery in Daniels, WV with some varieties of small trees I hadn’t seen before. A nice orange variegated Japanese maple, a hibiscus with white edged leaves, and one other beautiful little tree whose name I have forgotten. My loss of memory might be from turning over the price tag on the specimen and seeing $600.

Last edited:
The view of the lake from the Northwestern stadium was awesome. Until that bitch is frozen over and some lake effect snow is coming in

1) Somebody is going to open up the coffers for Jason Eck, and Marshall should be the one to do it (assuming eight wins aren't reached this year).
2) Somebody is going to do the same for Barry Odom, but Marshall won't be able to afford him.
3) The west virginia performance was even worse than the score showed. They were gifted three points on a horrible 4th down spot when the commentators all agreed that progress was stopped at least a half-yard before the sticks. The club seats behind the end zone are awful to see on television. It looks like nobody is there, and that was before the weather delay.
4) Some people don't look good with facial hair, yet they still do it. One example is your wife. It's time she shaves that shit. Another example is Neal Brown. Sure, he looks goofy regardless, but it's even worse with his attempt at facial hair.
5) Whose luster has faded faster: Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, or PJ Fleck? Sure, they're all making great money, but all three of them over the last few years were expected to be at a blue-blood school by now. In college football, if you don't take the bigger paycheck once it comes and bet on yourself that you can produce the same success over the next year or two, you're likely to get stung. Jeff Traylor should take note.
6) UCLA has a great defense, and that will allow them to be somewhat successful this year. But does anybody else think DeShaun Foster knows what the fvck he is doing and was a lazy and horrendous hire?
7) Northwestern's temporary stadium this year makes FIU's stadium look like the Taj Mahal.
8) Arkansas State got very, very lucky multiple times to come up with a last second win against Central Arkansas.
9) Abilene Christian's receivers made big plays all games, then they couldn't do the same multiple times over the last few minutes and overtime that would have won them their game at Texas Tech.
10) Dana Holgorsen got paid a ton of money to leave Houston in a really shitty spot.
I'd add Billy Napier to your list of fading luster.

My pick would be Matt Campbell.. that dude's trajectory seemed to be off the charts just a few years ago.

Am I thinking of someone else or was it him that tried fighting opposing fans after losing last year?

Well said. What Eck did at Oregon was amazing and what he has done the past 2 seasons is also amazing at Idaho. He is making $300k with 125k from tv money, so they are paying him $175k.

Also his record is really good his first 2 seasons there. Would be a great hire.

Penn State got a favor in return of that gift of a spot for wvu in the form of a no call offensive PI, that the commentators pointed out should have been called, which led to the TD the next play.
Luke Fickell just looks weird.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

11) Jay Hill, who should have been an FBS head coach a few years ago and was who I lobbied for to Marshall, suffered a heart attack Thursday night after his practice as DC at BYU. Expected to make a full recovery.
12) If I were an AD, I would rarely get involved in day-to-day, personnel, or play-calling with my head football coach. But what Deion Sanders did on Friday night would be enough to call him into the office and ask him what the fvck was going on.
  • Colorado was winning 31-26 in the fourth quarter with the ball at their 40 yard line.
  • Colorado had the ball with 1:41 left in the game facing a 1st-and-10.
  • Their opponent, North Dakota State, had one timeout remaining.
Assuming you tell your QB to just take a couple of steps back and take a knee, that would have left about 1:37 when NDSU uses their last timeout. 2nd down do the same thing, which puts the game block at about 54 seconds when snapping the ball on third down. Another 44 seconds off of the block, puts the clock at 10 seconds on fourth down when you need to punt. If you don't want to risk punting the ball away, you can hand off three times instead of taking a knee. That would take the clock down another handful of seconds, and even if you don't get a first down after three runs, you may not even have to snap it on fourth down . . . or at the most, have your QB run backwards for a few seconds before falling down.

But nope. Deion decided to throw the ball on 1st down. Read the setting again and think about it- his dumbass threw it! Of course, it was incomplete, Colorado had to punt the ball with 38 seconds, and NDSU threw a hail-of-mary which was completed but only to the five yard line.

That's decision-making showing you have the wrong guy leading your team.

The alumni base at UCLA is fine with the Foster hire. Why should you worry about it?
I spend more time concerned about your asinine posts than I do about DeShaun Foster being the UCLA head coach. The point was that he doesn't have a lot of what a P4 head coach should have at the time of his hire. I'm not sure that classifies as me being "worried about it."

Also his record is really good his first 2 seasons there. Would be a great hire.
It isn't just his good record - it's that he completely turned that place around very fast. Just as important, he is getting guys he previously coached with to leave the best program in FCS to join him. That usually means they are either 1) paying them a lot more than South Dakota State was or 2) guys he previously coached with have enough faith in him that they are willing to leave the #1 program in the country to join him. I am guessing it is more likely #2.

Many years ago, I interviewed twice with Eck and the rest of the SDSU offensive staff and their old head coach to be their RB coach as one of the finalists for it. They ended up going with a minority hire who had been on the staff the previous year, but I remember them being a very serious, no-joking-around group of guys there.

I'd add Billy Napier to your list of fading luster.
I didn't add him, since he already made it to a blue-blood. Campbell, Fleck, and Fickell have 30+ programs that are better than their current job. Florida, though with outdated facilities compared to a lot of their top peers, is considered an elite opportunity. Nobody considers Iowa State, Minnesota, or Wisconsin in the same mold.

Last edited:
Go watch the last minute of the MTSU vs Tenn Tech game on ESPN+ There is enough material there for your next routine. You'd think they beat Alabama.

As for your points 4 and 10, rifle, your memory might be "slipping" a tad. Brown's facial hair is a far, far better look than that "Gawd Awful" and crazed Mullett that "Drunk Dana" Holgorsen sported while coaching the Chickeneers during his stint there!!!!

Two other things I forgot to mention:

11) Jay Hill, who should have been an FBS head coach a few years ago and was who I lobbied for to Marshall, suffered a heart attack Thursday night after his practice as DC at BYU. Expected to make a full recovery.
12) If I were an AD, I would rarely get involved in day-to-day, personnel, or play-calling with my head football coach. But what Deion Sanders did on Friday night would be enough to call him into the office and ask him what the fvck was going on.
  • Colorado was winning 31-26 in the fourth quarter with the ball at their 40 yard line.
  • Colorado had the ball with 1:41 left in the game facing a 1st-and-10.
  • Their opponent, North Dakota State, had one timeout remaining.
Assuming you tell your QB to just take a couple of steps back and take a knee, that would have left about 1:37 when NDSU uses their last timeout. 2nd down do the same thing, which puts the game block at about 54 seconds when snapping the ball on third down. Another 44 seconds off of the block, puts the clock at 10 seconds on fourth down when you need to punt. If you don't want to risk punting the ball away, you can hand off three times instead of taking a knee. That would take the clock down another handful of seconds, and even if you don't get a first down after three runs, you may not even have to snap it on fourth down . . . or at the most, have your QB run backwards for a few seconds before falling down.

But nope. Deion decided to throw the ball on 1st down. Read the setting again and think about it- his dumbass threw it! Of course, it was incomplete, Colorado had to punt the ball with 38 seconds, and NDSU threw a hail-of-mary which was completed but only to the five yard line.

That's decision-making showing you have the wrong guy leading your team.

I spend more time concerned about your asinine posts than I do about DeShaun Foster being the UCLA head coach. The point was that he doesn't have a lot of what a P4 head coach should have at the time of his hire. I'm not sure that classifies as me being "worried about it."

It isn't just his good record - it's that he completely turned that place around very fast. Just as important, he is getting guys he previously coached with to leave the best program in FCS to join him. That usually means they are either 1) paying them a lot more than South Dakota State was or 2) guys he previously coached with have enough faith in him that they are willing to leave the #1 program in the country to join him. I am guessing it is more likely #2.

Many years ago, I interviewed twice with Eck and the rest of the SDSU offensive staff and their old head coach to be their RB coach as one of the finalists for it. They ended up going with a minority hire who had been on the staff the previous year, but I remember them being a very serious, no-joking-around group of guys there.

I didn't add him, since he already made it to a blue-blood. Campbell, Fleck, and Fickell have 30+ programs that are better than their current job. Florida, though with outdated facilities compared to a lot of their top peers, is considered an elite opportunity. Nobody considers Iowa State, Minnesota, or Wisconsin in the same mold.
Add Mike Novell to that list too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT