ADVERTISEMENT

"Back to The MAC" just got SACKED

Catfanatic1979v1

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Not only does CUSA have more money and better TV exposure, now it we can put a nail in the coffin and say that CUSA has infinitely better football as well.

R.I.P "Back To The MAC" losers.

Now and forever we are better off without that sorry conference.

The Mac conference is a joke. Thank Gawd we aren't in that setup anymore. They are what they are. Most of them schools are not "forward thinking" and have no desire to better themselves at all. Very happy to be in CUSA. NIU at best would be fifth in CUSA behind us, La Tech, WKU, Rice etc. Decent team but crazy overrated. Took that team to the woodshed.

Ohios put us in our place a few times over the last five years...football and basketball both

Because we were young and had a tard for a DC. The MAC is a joke. It was when we were there and nothing has changed.

That was the best the MAC had to offer and we smashed them. I don't even think we played our best game either.
This post was edited on 12/24 1:39 AM by BleedsGreen33

Not this year moron...

The MAC steps up for us, and that's fine...in football, they did, treated us like their superbowl...it worked for 3 years, now, they don't even like shaking our hands...we sent them home packing.

NIU was by far the best MAC team we played and we WHACKED the MAC...their best was obliterated.

The commentators were talking about NIU, Marshall, and Boise being in the mix for the best of the G-5 conferences...and when Marshall was well on their way to winning, barring BSU losing (which they easily could) Marshall made the best statement thus far.

To not appreciate that and what the team has done...you're really not a fan of the team.

Oh, and please, tell Cato, all of you who think he was overrated, that he isn't worth anything. Most of you cowards won't...but then again, you're so bold on here flexing your baby nuts claiming to be some high and almighty fan who really doesn't do squat.
Fishnetz can E.A.D.

Originally posted by Herdstruck:
Not this year moron...

The MAC steps up for us, and that's fine...in football, they did, treated us like their superbowl...it worked for 3 years, now, they don't even like shaking our hands...we sent them home packing.

NIU was by far the best MAC team we played and we WHACKED the MAC...their best was obliterated.

The commentators were talking about NIU, Marshall, and Boise being in the mix for the best of the G-5 conferences...and when Marshall was well on their way to winning, barring BSU losing (which they easily could) Marshall made the best statement thus far.

To not appreciate that and what the team has done...you're really not a fan of the team.

Oh, and please, tell Cato, all of you who think he was overrated, that he isn't worth anything. Most of you cowards won't...but then again, you're so bold on here flexing your baby nuts claiming to be some high and almighty fan who really doesn't do squat.
Fishnetz can E.A.D.
Overreact much?

Herdstruck, go f yourself. I'm not in the slam Cato club like some on this message board. The only thing I ever b!tch about is Leggs predictable play calling when games are really close. I was one complaining about the bowl game against another MAC school cause I thought the seniors deserved a better team since they have turned our program back around. The only thing I am pointing out is some of you have this holier than thou attitude towards MAC teams and we need to remember where we came from is all I am saying. So why don't you go EAD moron.

Originally posted by Catfanatic1979v1:
Not only does CUSA have more money and better TV exposure, now it we can put a nail in the coffin and say that CUSA has infinitely better football as well.

R.I.P "Back To The MAC" losers.

Now and forever we are better off without that sorry conference.
Sure is a lot of MAC hate on here. I was going to congratulate the Herd on a nice win but geez. If Marshall didn't want to play NIU that wasn't the MAC's fault. Tell CUSA to get you a good bowl, isn't that why you went to CUSA? And Marshall was 4-4 vs. the MAC in the previous 5 years, with none of those teams even being the best of the weaker East division. You were better than everybody in the MAC this year, but most of us understood the MAC was down this year too. The MAC is one of the worst 2 FBS conferences but how is that a surprise? That's why you got out, right? But the MAC was just fine for you when you wanted to get into FBS football.

Sorry not into that.

Ah yes the "never forget where you're from" motif.

Haha, no. Could care less. That's the problem, is some of you just don't look forward, you keep looking back, causing you to compare things currently and in the future, to the past.

Nobody should care about the MAC unless we play them. Nobody should compare us to the MAC because we're not in it.

The MAC's best team for 5 years running, was just obliterated by Marshall...the C-USA champion.

Head to head, Marshall wins.
C-USA > MAC.

As for Legg's predictable playcalling...it's been, what...5 years he's been here?

LET IT GO!! MOVE ON!!!

Seriously...let the crap go...who cares if it's predictable, at this point, nobody's been able to stop it...so why keep fighting it?

I do have a holier than thou attitude towards the MAC...the only reason being, is the MAC does NOT want to better itself. It wants to be a poor and dumb man's Ivy League...composed of schools that have old traditions of being simple.
Not one of the schools has made motions to move up to C-USA...or anyone for that matter.

Marshall was the only school who was active...and still is, looking to move forward. The MAC conference is merely a maelstrom of teams just happy to be playing football and content with how they are.
I'd declare the MAC to move down to FCS with the exception of 1-2 schools who actually show interest in branching off and moving up, but even they would be hesitant to do so.

The MAC is in its own little world...and nothing is changing that, while the REAL world of college sports IS changing and Marshall is changing as well.

The MAC and C-USA had 25 teams in them this year, with one good one. There were a handful of teams with pulses (NIU, LT, WKU) but none I would say were actually good teams that could hang with at least the bottom half of P5.

Next year there may be zero good teams between both conferences. WKU has a shot, but that's about it. One team, one year, does not prove anything. There is absolute parity among the teams in these conferences. No real difference between NIU and FIU or Miami and Old Dominion or North Texas and Western Michigan. The pool is shallow on this end.

Originally posted by Herdstruck:
Sorry not into that.

Ah yes the "never forget where you're from" motif.

Haha, no. Could care less. That's the problem, is some of you just don't look forward, you keep looking back, causing you to compare things currently and in the future, to the past.

Nobody should care about the MAC unless we play them. Nobody should compare us to the MAC because we're not in it.

The MAC's best team for 5 years running, was just obliterated by Marshall...the C-USA champion.

Head to head, Marshall wins.
C-USA > MAC.

As for Legg's predictable playcalling...it's been, what...5 years he's been here?

LET IT GO!! MOVE ON!!!

Seriously...let the crap go...who cares if it's predictable, at this point, nobody's been able to stop it...so why keep fighting it?

I do have a holier than thou attitude towards the MAC...the only reason being, is the MAC does NOT want to better itself. It wants to be a poor and dumb man's Ivy League...composed of schools that have old traditions of being simple.
Not one of the schools has made motions to move up to C-USA...or anyone for that matter.

Marshall was the only school who was active...and still is, looking to move forward. The MAC conference is merely a maelstrom of teams just happy to be playing football and content with how they are.
I'd declare the MAC to move down to FCS with the exception of 1-2 schools who actually show interest in branching off and moving up, but even they would be hesitant to do so.

The MAC is in its own little world...and nothing is changing that, while the REAL world of college sports IS changing and Marshall is changing as well.
Get real. This year's edition of NIU wasn't as good as any of the previous 4, and also not as good as the 2003 team. The realist NIU fans understood this from the close victories over bad teams and the loss to CMU. Plus we watched our new QB struggle with some fairly easy throws. We hoped we'd turned the corner somewhat after beating WMU and then stomping BG, but it was hard to tell - there weren't any really good QBs in the MAC this year - the best candidates for that were both injured early in the year.

I will say that NIU is not content with where they are. 5-6 years ago they put in an endzone facility and before last year they completed their IPF. They've done a couple minor changes in other sports as well and have plans for renovating the stadium - that, however, remains to be seen how much gets done based on donor funding. There's plenty of talk about hoping to get into the AAC but that seems pretty unlikely even if they lose a couple teams. We've also upgraded our home OOC scheduling by a ton - it has been horrific the past decade due to our last AD who thankfully split for ECU.

The MAC sold out to E$PN, that much I disagree with - it remains to be seen whether all these weeknight games will create enough exposure that it helps our recruiting. I'm skeptical. The empty stands can't be good for that. I'm not sure what NIU's opinion is on that but we have both a new President and AD, and they seem more forward-looking. I don't know what they think about the MAC's moves.

You, like Akron, can build all the nice, new stuff you want, but you need to start averaging more than 13,000 for football and under 1,000 for basketball if you want to be considered for anything more. By the way, you're in Chicago, you should have a way better basketball team.

Kudos then.

Until I see NIU in a different conference, they aren't doing enough.

Not to say someone on the inside isn't figuring out what to do or how to do it, but right now, NIU appears stuck in that realm of MACers.

Also, yes, you have a student body of 20,000 in proximity of one of the more popular cities in America...and average 13,000 a game?!!?

The MAC is horrible now. It was much better back when we were there. The Big Ben teams and Toledo and W Mich teams were pretty good as Steve S said. Heck CUSA is pathetic now. But the MAC is beyond horrible now. Both conferences should be put into 1AA.

Gawd you are a complete waist of space on this forum. The only positive is that you are such a jagoff that it's almost entertaining.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The MAC was better in the past. There was some real talent there for a of time. Cribbs, Rapelisburger, etc.

I have no beef with NIU. From what I see they are not a snob dick school without aspirations. But you all need some speed, good lord the speed disparity was bad yesterday. MU goes after speed, speed, speed for a reason.

And yeah, why NIU sucks in bball is a mystery. Tons of talent in that area.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The MAC had better talent when there were 40 teams in "G5", not 70. There are so many teams splitting up the scraps of the P5 schools, with ODUs and Charlottes joining every year, the talent pool is spreading and thinning.

Schools like Marshall should lobby for enforcement of the FBS attendance requirement, even the new lowered bar. If they did enforce it, most of the MAC (including NIU) would have to move down to FCS.

greenherdman, speaking of putting some conference or some one some where...oh forget it, you know where I was going because you kmow how ridiculous your anti Marshall football comments are. Some people love miserable.

I'm going to address basketball first.

They're in the heart of the Big 10 recruiting area...plus several smaller schools in the state and surrounding states, who have legit programs.
Plus, I didn't think NIU's focus was/is basketball. Unlike Kent State, who actually has a decent basketball program but a horrible football program (despite being in a football-rich state like ohio).

'licious, you have a point, and may be onto something.

I could see an agreement between the P-5 and G-5's...but it'd be something like this,

The NCAA would re-write the rules about being an FBS school. Game attendance, history of program, conference titles, just perks the programs have had.
MANY programs would be sent back to FCS since only a few have managed to be much of anything.

I ultimately think the end result is going to be;

2 conferences; AAC and MWC "1 tier below" the P-5 conferences.
The CFP will expand to likely 8 slots.
The AAC and MWC champions will have their own slot (similar to the approach the BCS took when pairing Boise with TCU) so the possibility of a non P-5 team winning, is less. They have to play one another basically to eliminate the threat.
Or...
It's still the highest rated single team gets an access bowl.
Hell, they may even add another access bowl for the other conference champion since the number of bowl games will be reduced.

This keeps ALL the money within the 7 conferences. Revenue sharing could be re-negotiated where the MWC and AAC get a little bit more of the pot, with the majority share going to the P-5 schools.

I do think changes in the NCAA are over the horizon...and they will begin to weed out programs who aren't contributing enough and with horseface riding shotgun, I do worry about Marshall.

I agree about NIU having no excuse of having a good basketball program. Between the Chicagoland area, Northern Indiana, and the St. Louis area they should be able to get 3-4 good players to be competitive in the MAC and Nationally.

And I agree the attendance requirement needs to be enforced. How can you be a division 1A school and can't find 20K thousand people to attend games?? Winning or losing games

And I've been preaching the G5 schools need to come together and hammer out 4 16 team conferences with the AAC and MW being the strongest 2.

We had an absolutely horrible basketball coach that brought us to the depths of oblivion. The new coach is better, but it remains to be seen if he can get us back to respectability. His best recruit tore his ACL and missed most of last year and all of this year. Recruiting Chicago is no simple thing - there is so much politics there, that even good P5 basketball programs have to tread carefully in Chicago. A friend of mine who knows a former K-State coach described all that to me. From what I've heard elsewhere, Detroit is the same way.

I wish I could explain the poor attendance in football. Some of it is understandable. 1) The Chicago media ignores us unless it's convenient to mention us. They're always talking pro sports. 2) Our previous AD, departed for ECU, had us playing a horrific OOC home schedule. I mean, just horrible. Our new AD is fixing that, and also taking steps to make the gameday experience better. But that will take time to undo a decade of neglect. 3) Weeknight games. Try getting fans from Chicago to a 6 pm game on a Friday to play Presbyterian College, in the rain. 4) Every home game this year (only 5) rained except for homecoming, and I think we had about 20K at that game. We also had 3 home games in a row (In October, as the only September game was the Presby game). 5) Like other schools, some fans just prefer to watch on TV. 6) It's freakin' cold here some games, especially when your home games are in late October and November. That should at least be considered when compared to attendance at southern schools.

These sound like excuses, and maybe they are. We should get better attendance given the success, but I think a lot of alums still believe the P5 shills that MAC football doesn't matter. That has to change. The better schedule should help somewhat.

On offense, we had plenty of speed, but most of it missed the game. Our #2 WR Lewis missed the season, he's fast and shifty. Our fast slot WR Beebe (and punt returner) was injured 2 games ago and was out. His replacement, Saffold, was injured before this game. One of our 2 main RBs, Akeem Daniels, was injured on the kick return after Marshall's first TD and was out for the rest of the game. That left Stingily and Bouagnon at RB, because our other backup RB, Huff, was sick and didn't make the trip. He's faster, though not a burner. We had mostly slow guys left. WR Brown is fast, but it doesn't help when the QB can't get him the ball when he gets behind the defenders. Also, our best LB (and fastest) missed the year. We're recruiting fast guys, but they weren't on the field.

We could be faster on defense, but we're also very young especially in the secondary, we had at least 4 freshmen DBs rotating in.

Yep. The first part of the plan I believe is to update the other side of the stadium, because it's easier to upgrade, and put the press box up there. Pretty sure we have the worst press box in Division I. Certainly in the MAC.

FIU doesn't have an away team pressbox FYI.

Opposing coaches sit outside under an elevated tarp

NIU 007. I don't feel the comments about the MAC are directed toward you folks. Your fans are easily the class of the MAC and your accomplishments in football shows your program is as well. It has been nice to see civil, intelligent conversation between the fan bases. Keep rolling everyone in your conference, I know I will be rooting for the Huskies.

Originally posted by 1herdfifteen:
NIU 007. I don't feel the comments about the MAC are directed toward you folks. Your fans are easily the class of the MAC and your accomplishments in football shows your program is as well. It has been nice to see civil, intelligent conversation between the fan bases. Keep rolling everyone in your conference, I know I will be rooting for the Huskies.
Thanks. I will say, it's premature to draw too many conclusions about the MAC from this year. BG lost their pretty good QB in his first game this year and had been playing the backup. Toledo lost their QB (highly rated but new QB) early in the season and struggled with even the backups staying healthy. NIU and Ball State were both replacing good QBs along with other pieces. Definitely a down year for the MAC and there were no real good teams this year. WMU is improving and they are young, and getting good recruits. CMU was inconsistent but could play really well at times especially with Rawls at RB, like they did when they beat NIU. NIU, WMU, CMU, Toledo, and BG at the very least will almost certainly have better QB play over the next couple years and that will help greatly.

2003 was an oddball year - besides Miami and Marshall, NIU, BG and Toledo were all good. Hoping we can get back to that point.

Originally posted by NIU007:
Originally posted by 1herdfifteen:
Thanks. I will say, it's premature to draw too many conclusions about the MAC from this year. BG lost their pretty good QB in his first game this year and had been playing the backup. Toledo lost their QB (highly rated but new QB) early in the season and struggled with even the backups staying healthy. NIU and Ball State were both replacing good QBs along with other pieces. Definitely a down year for the MAC and there were no real good teams this year. WMU is improving and they are young, and getting good recruits. CMU was inconsistent but could play really well at times especially with Rawls at RB, like they did when they beat NIU. NIU, WMU, CMU, Toledo, and BG at the very least will almost certainly have better QB play over the next couple years and that will help greatly.

2003 was an oddball year - besides Miami and Marshall, NIU, BG and Toledo were all good. Hoping we can get back to that point.
The MAC has had a few good years but way too many more were bad. Every conference will have a up cycle once in awhile but that doesn't mean the MAC can coast on that. It is a lousy conference overall and its history proves that.

Yes, but the MAC teams, the better ones anyway aren't that different from Marshall. They have bad years when they have bad coaches or when their QB isn't good. How many times did Marshall lose to Ohio recently? Wasn't Cato playing then? You had your current coach too. You get a good year or 2, at best 3, out of a good QB, then you have to find another one. Marshall has more money to keep a good coach when they get one, but it still remains to be seen how good they'll be without Cato. He made a HUGE difference.

NIU007 has Northern ever thought about another conference? Any interest at all or just remain in the MAC? How about CUSA? We need another good team with UAB dropping football. You guys would find the climate much warmer.

I'm sure the NIU administration would consider it. I don't know that they would consider CUSA enough of a step up generally to make up for the big increase in travel costs. I really don't know what they think. This year in football it would have been a significant step up. Our choices are limited. Our other sports hold us back, particularly basketball, and facilities are still a bit outdated, though that is changing. Also, NIU has left the MAC before, though that was to go independent. We don't fit geographically in CUSA, that's for sure. We don't have any serious rivalries in the MAC we'd be leaving behind though. Attendance would be helped if we weren't playing on Tuesday nights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT