ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Coach

You mean other than we have been pretty much terrible for the past... Well forever.

We are well below 500 all time, went 22 years without a winning season from 1994 to 2016, and are coming off a 20-35 year.

A new stadium (hopefully) and a new conference are nice... But MU is absolutely still a reclamation project.
Of course you’re right but there is no place to go but up. I’m hoping to be in the top 50 in three years….. hoping….

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Don’t know if you have a little dry humor going on there but if not you couldn’t be more wrong. Marshall Baseball is a desirable job. Great Baseball Conference. Brand new stadium. Will be given time to win. There should be many qualified candidates who have sought the job out. With that being said the process began two months ago and they play their first game in 8 weeks. It’s time to put this to bed. The players and staff deserve to know who they’re playing for/working with. A new head coach will have a ton of things to figure out well in addition to the baseball games themselves. Schools adding recruits each and every day. Every day that passes is a day this program is put further and further behind moving forward.

I love the initial optimism of the 1st half of your post about MU baseball and how good of a job it could be for someone.

Then the absolute reality of the 2nd half of your statement, that there is no coach and the uphill climb he'd need to establish success...and that, well, nobody knows anything about anything relating to said HC.

You mean other than we have been pretty much terrible for the past... Well forever.

We are well below 500 all time, went 22 years without a winning season from 1994 to 2016, and are coming off a 20-35 year.

A new stadium (hopefully) and a new conference are nice... But MU is absolutely still a reclamation project.
Would a new stadium be a draw to get transfer students?. Just curious.

If you mean would it make it easier for Marshall to get players out of the portal that’s 100% yes. What Marshall as a D-1 Baseball program has to offer in terms of facilities is embarrassing. Of course nice stadium to play in with some amenities would be a huge draw.

I would imagine so, but a new stadium is not going to happen before this coming season... And its almost certainly not going to be open for 2024... So we are trying to sell a new coach on coming here (despite being historically awful at baseball) on a new stadium that is at least two seasons away, and a chance to play in the Sun Belt (which is another selling point) where we are probably going to spend at minimum 2-3 more years getting our teeth kicked in.

It can be done, with a new stadium and a new league we can draw better recruits and at least make it to respectability... But its not going to be easy, and its still several years/recruiting classes away.

He did and I appreciate that. That being said, it takes more than pretty buildings to run a business, AD, etc. The inside culture and drive are more important. We'll see what Spears can do.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I really don’t know, but please enlighten on what all amazing things have been accomplished by Spears since he has come onto the scene at MU.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I really don’t know, but please enlighten on what all amazing things have been accomplished by Spears since he has come onto the scene at MU.
Doesn't have to be amazing. It can be a change of culture, letting dead weight go and hiring new blood. He has gotten the baseball field back on track after the debacle it was. New basketball practice facility is done. Tarped the ugly end zone bleachers, brought in the new MU lager, just a few things. There is a list of things in the latest edition of Thundering Herd Magazine - worth a look. I can't post a link. In my limited dealings with the AD, calls, email questions, etc. I have gotten a much quicker and thorough response since he's been on board. Coincidence?

And yes, donors pay for the remodels, the IPF's, etc. But the AD has to make it go. People seem butthurt that Hammy was let go, and Doc too. It was time for new blood. Just one mans opinion.

Upgrading Gullikson, put a new Fuel Center in the weight room to enhance the hydration and dietary needs of the athletes , new scoreboards going up, as well as coming enhancements to the Joan. I’d say CS is doing a pretty good job

Upgrading Gullikson, put a new Fuel Center in the weight room to enhance the hydration and dietary needs of the athletes , new scoreboards going up, as well as coming enhancements to the Joan. I’d say CS is doing a pretty good job
Also got a contract extension/raise done for our best coach -- Grassie.

Doesn't have to be amazing. It can be a change of culture, letting dead weight go and hiring new blood. He has gotten the baseball field back on track after the debacle it was. New basketball practice facility is done. Tarped the ugly end zone bleachers, brought in the new MU lager, just a few things. There is a list of things in the latest edition of Thundering Herd Magazine - worth a look. I can't post a link. In my limited dealings with the AD, calls, email questions, etc. I have gotten a much quicker and thorough response since he's been on board. Coincidence?

And yes, donors pay for the remodels, the IPF's, etc. But the AD has to make it go. People seem butthurt that Hammy was let go, and Doc too. It was time for new blood. Just one mans opinion.

Make that 2 men's opinions.

How was you guys feel if Huff got fired in Mid April. Fast forward and it is now 8 weeks til the first Herd Football game and there is no head Coach? Say you’d be concerned.
It will be fine... We checked a 78-year old out of an old folks home in Athens to head things up. Lol

And this could never happen with football. MU cares about football.

Reactions: Catsfan123456
Spears stated in a press conference that he would name a new Baseball coach by the end of the year. Doubt you’d break that news on a Saturday so I assume a new Coach will be named today. His words.

I’ll be there. Each and every one. How many of you if it were football or basketball season in 8 weeks and there wasn’t a head coach would be bitching and moaning?
Unfortunately, HERD baseball has always gotten the "A$% end of the stick" when it comes to a field, etc. I plan [God's willing] to be in Huntington for the opening pitch...I wish Coach Cook could have been with us to share HIS NAMING of the stadium......I believe AD Spears will have a coach in place......

I’ll be there. Each and every one. How many of you if it were football or basketball season in 8 weeks and there wasn’t a head coach would be bitching and moaning?

Last edited:
They have a program with coaches and a well respected, life long college baseball advisor, and one of the most tireless ADs in America. I say they'll be OK.
I agree....assistant coaches do most of all the teaching, and the "head skipper" orchestrates the practices and turns in the lineup card to the ump behind the plate...screams at the umpires==="You are killing us Blue".....at least this has been my experience coaching baseball at the high school level......TIME WILL TELL.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Spears stated in a press conference that he would name a new Baseball coach by the end of the year. Doubt you’d break that news on a Saturday so I assume a new Coach will be named today. His words.
Did you ever hear back from Spears? I posted his email on page 1.

I agree....assistant coaches do most of all the teaching, and the "head skipper" orchestrates the practices and turns in the lineup card to the ump behind the plate...screams at the umpires==="You are killing us Blue".....at least this has been my experience coaching baseball at the high school level......TIME WILL TELL.
I disagree. With only two paid assistants head coaches take on coaching responsibilities just like the others. A new head coach will come in day
Did you ever hear back from Spears? I posted his email on page 1.

I disagree. With only two paid assistants head coaches take on coaching responsibilities just like the others. A new head coach will come in day
No I didn’t email Spears. Just a fan who knows it’s December 31st and there hasn’t been a head Baseball Coach named yet. Also know he said it would be done by the end of the year. Doubt a head coach is going to be named on a Saturday. I like Spears. He seems like a breath of fresh air. The Baseball situation has drug on for too long. Needs done. No excuse.

Totally agree with you. I have always been disappointed with MU baseball but the bottom is the bottom. I just like our new leadership.

Reactions: RhinoD
Totally agree with you. I have always been disappointed with MU baseball but the bottom is the bottom. I just like our new leadership.
So Spears and Smith are terrible? Wow!

It was Hamrick who ****ed up the process with a poor bid process and poor oversight

Reactions: Jbabbington
Meh, it’s the baseball team. I hope they get a field but the amount they are spending is asinine.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT