ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
There are 295 D1 baseball teams. After today’s game, Marshall is 294th out of those 295 teams in team batting average.

I’m going to blame it on All-Hat-No-Cattle Spears. When he got on the television broadcast and claimed that the stadium’s lead off home run was somehow proof that a higher power was looking out for Marshall/Jack Cook, he doomed Marshall. This stadium and team is forever tainted with bad luck now.

It’s why I believed we should have never wasted money on a stadium. We will always suck in baseball. There’s a reason the Big 10 has all the money and still sucks at baseball. Why would any good player not go south or west to play an outdoor sport that starts in February?

It’s why I believed we should have never wasted money on a stadium. We will always suck in baseball. There’s a reason the Big 10 has all the money and still sucks at baseball. Why would any good player not go south or west to play an outdoor sport that starts in February?
I agree. No one cares about college baseball, let alone Marshall University baseball.

This is the first week all season that they haven't had midweek games, so I haven't had to watch their attempts at hitting. Not coincidentally, it's also the first week all season that I haven't vomited.

But imagine how low we’d be ranked without a stadium though.
Might have been better off. Never would have been a home run in the new stadium and the AD would have not got God involved.

Now they are going to have to call in a priest to do one of those exorcisms.

Reactions: riflearm2
Ohio State won the CWS in 1966. Michigan was runner-up in 2019’

That concludes the history of the Big Ten in the college World Series championship in the last 58 years. Trying to compete in baseball for us is like UCF trying to compete in a college outdoor hockey league.

Ohio State won the CWS in 1966. Michigan was runner-up in 2019’

That concludes the history of the Big Ten in the college World Series championship in the last 58 years. Trying to compete in baseball for us is like UCF trying to compete in a college outdoor hockey league.
You're clueless about this. There are many, many programs that have had great national success in climates similar or worse than Huntington's.

Some of these remarks aren't based on factual information but rather uninformed opinions. There are many good baseball schools in the same region as Marshall is located at. UK is in the top 5 this year. West Virginia has a great ball team. Tennessee and Vanderbilt are top notch programs. Marshalls offense has been extremely tough to watch. But keep in mind it is a process when you are a new coach. As of today Coach Beals has only been on the job roughly 15 months. The Sun Belt is the 4th ranked conference in the country behind only the SEC, ACC, and BIg 12. It is big boy Baseball.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
. The Sun Belt is the 4th ranked conference in the country behind only the SEC, ACC, and BIg 12. It is big boy Baseball.
Which system has the Sun Belt over the Pac 12? The Big 10 is debatable, but over the Pac 12? Nope.

Last night, Marshall had six hits in 29 at bats (a .207 average), so their team batting average will sink closer to being the worst in the country out of 295 teams. They were 10-run-ruled in the 8th inning, so at least they got to leave the stadium early and have dinner earlier.

Last night, Marshall had six hits in 29 at bats (a .207 average), so their team batting average will sink closer to being the worst in the country out of 295 teams. They were 10-run-ruled in the 8th inning, so at least they got to leave the stadium early and have dinner earlier.

We lost
It sucked
Yes the batting average is a fact

But why all the constant extra added slams towards the program that you helped build the foundation of.

Why no pride in what is there.

Just don’t get it

But why all the constant extra added slams towards the program that you helped build the foundation of.
You pointed out that I need to find the positives. Even though we have the 293rd team batting average out of 295 teams, even though we are 1-17 on the road, and even though we have had back-to-back 10-run-ruled games against a team that was under .500 before playing Marshall, I am trying to find the positives.

Those positives include getting to have dinner earlier, getting back to the hotel earlier to study for finals, and not having weekday games, thus allowing me to avoid getting sick by watching these hitters.

Why no pride in what is there.

Just don’t get it
Pride? Marshall is 1-17 on the road. The 293rd team batting average out of 295 teams. In the game that I am currently watching, Marshall just hit back-to-back batters and then allowed a squeeze. It's just bad baseball. What pride is there to have with this team?

The year before I came to Marshall, they were 4-27 in the MAC. Two years later, we tripled that win total in the MAC, and we did it by having to spend 30+ minutes of our day driving to a shitty field, spending another 20 minutes working on the field each day, had a shitty set of bleachers where nobody came, had horrible transportation to stay in shoddy hotels with small food budget. Now, they have a very short commute, a nice stadium that people go to, get to fly to games, and have legitimate gear, yet they have the numbers that I referenced above.

You pointed out that I need to find the positives. Even though we have the 293rd team batting average out of 295 teams, even though we are 1-17 on the road, and even though we have had back-to-back 10-run-ruled games against a team that was under .500 before playing Marshall, I am trying to find the positives.

Those positives include getting to have dinner earlier, getting back to the hotel earlier to study for finals, and not having weekday games, thus allowing me to avoid getting sick by watching these hitters.

Pride? Marshall is 1-17 on the road. The 293rd team batting average out of 295 teams. In the game that I am currently watching, Marshall just hit back-to-back batters and then allowed a squeeze. It's just bad baseball. What pride is there to have with this team?

The year before I came to Marshall, they were 4-27 in the MAC. Two years later, we tripled that win total in the MAC, and we did it by having to spend 30+ minutes of our day driving to a shitty field, spending another 20 minutes working on the field each day, had a shitty set of bleachers where nobody came, had horrible transportation to stay in shoddy hotels with small food budget. Now, they have a very short commute, a nice stadium that people go to, get to fly to games, and have legitimate gear, yet they have the numbers that I referenced above.

The pride for the program that you were a part of

What are you, as a Marshall Baseball Alum, doing to make the program better?

Who was your coach?

The pride for the program that you were a part of
What is there to be prideful about? 293 out of 295, 1-17 away record. There are 14 teams in the Sun Belt. Marshall is 14th.

I'm seriously struggling finding something to be prideful about. Pride in being in last place out of 14 teams?

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
What are you, as a Marshall Baseball Alum, doing to make the program better?
Besides watching many of their games and buying a $500 brick within the last year?

There are a lot of disgruntled Marshall baseball alums for many reasons. And you're asking them to do even more after they were screwed over?

Look at the record book for Marshall baseball. Look at the number of players from that period who are still in those books 25 years later. Yet, not a single one of them got drafted of even signed a free agent contract even though their numbers (and measureables) were far better than dozens upon dozens of players in the same conference who got drafted and dozens of Marshall players who were drafted under the next coach.

Asking those alums to do more? No thanks.

Besides watching many of their games and buying a $500 brick within the last year?

There are a lot of disgruntled Marshall baseball alums for many reasons. And you're asking them to do even more after they were screwed over?

Look at the record book for Marshall baseball. Look at the number of players from that period who are still in those books 25 years later. Yet, not a single one of them got drafted of even signed a free agent contract even though their numbers (and measureables) were far better than dozens upon dozens of players in the same conference who got drafted and dozens of Marshall players who were drafted under the next coach.

Asking those alums to do more? No thanks.

Not following the last half of your lecture.

Not following the last half of your lecture.
There were very talented undrafted Marshall baseball alums who, for a handful of years, ranged from as good to much better than dozens of Marshall players who were drafted years later. They weren't drafted because:

1) No scouts wanted to come to a game where they couldn't sit and couldn't find the field. Hell, even when future first-rounders played on the road against Marshall, scouts wouldn't even show up. This is made even worse considering these Marshall players were allowed to be lied to for many years about the plans for a stadium.
2) Marshall's coach didn't have much of a relationship with any scouts and that dynamic was allowed to be kept by Marshall administration.
3) When players were identified by scouts (which coaches should be doing for them assuming #2 isn't a barrier), a coach bad-mouthed the work ethic, dedication, attitude, etc. of that player(s).

So you're asking Marshall alums to have pride and invest in this year's attempt at a team considering all of the issues they had to deal with during their playing days?

I’m not asking you to invest in this years team per se. It is investing in the program that you were a part of

But if you harbor so much hate for it then nevermind. Go on about your business I guess

Continue to complain about something that you don’t invest in. Makes sense I guess.

I’m not asking you to invest in this years team per se. It is investing in the program that you were a part of

But if you harbor so much hate for it then nevermind. Go on about your business I guess

Continue to complain about something that you don’t invest in. Makes sense I guess.
There’s no hate from me. But there is strong dislike from those others whom I referenced.

Why would any of us, including me, continue to give to what has been a very lopsided relationship?

Update from today’s game:

Marshall lost, again, and got swept by a team that was under .500 coming into the weekend. They have won one out of their last 11 games. Beal, in his two years, has had teams that have progressively gotten worse throughout the season. Last year, Marshall los their final 15 games. They are trending to have the same type of results this season.

Last edited:
If this isn’t hate then I would hate to see what hate is.

And your question about “why would you give”. Well none of these people now were a part of this lopsided relationship.

You wanted all the tools necessary to be able to win when you played here. You didn’t get it.

These kids want those tools as well. Maybe they have the stadium tool now. But now they are dealing with losing teammates because of NIL and transfers. So they need things as well and you and those you mentioned earlier could help that.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

You know I respect our friendship to the fullest. I always have. But I strongly disagree with you on this.

Reactions: Herdnon
This whole situation comes down to $250.00.

Can we please all pitch in $10.00 each to get my friend riflearm2 that much deserved and well overdue letterman's jacket?

Who knows how to setup a gofund thing?

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
This whole situation comes down to $250.00.

Can we please all pitch in $10.00 each to get my friend riflearm2 that much deserved and well overdue letterman's jacket?

Who knows how to setup a gofund thing?
Amazon has one for $64.99, Black or Green Available.

With Prime membership it could be to him by Wednesday at 10pm.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
There were very talented undrafted Marshall baseball alums who, for a handful of years, ranged from as good to much better than dozens of Marshall players who were drafted years later. They weren't drafted because:

1) No scouts wanted to come to a game where they couldn't sit and couldn't find the field. Hell, even when future first-rounders played on the road against Marshall, scouts wouldn't even show up. This is made even worse considering these Marshall players were allowed to be lied to for many years about the plans for a stadium.
2) Marshall's coach didn't have much of a relationship with any scouts and that dynamic was allowed to be kept by Marshall administration.
3) When players were identified by scouts (which coaches should be doing for them assuming #2 isn't a barrier), a coach bad-mouthed the work ethic, dedication, attitude, etc. of that player(s).

So you're asking Marshall alums to have pride and invest in this year's attempt at a team considering all of the issues they had to deal with during their playing days?
I’ve seen several scouts at this new stadium thankfully. They we mostly looking at our Catcher Owen Ayer’s and some were watching Drew Harlow. So we are Atleast getting some scouts. That obviously doesn’t heal old wounds or help with the teams terrible batting averages but scouts are Atleast finding and coming to the stadium.

These kids want those tools as well. Maybe they have the stadium tool now. But now they are dealing with losing teammates because of NIL and transfers. So they need things as well and you and those you mentioned earlier could help that.
Which baseball players left Marshall due to NIL elsewhere?

You wanted all the tools necessary to be able to win when you played here.
Not really. We just wanted the basics that just about every other D1 school had: A place to hit in the cold months (didn't get it until our last year or two), a place to field grounders and make normal throws in the cold months (never got it), a place for our pitchers to throw in the cold months (didn't get it until our last year or two), a locker room so we could save time by not having to lug clothes and gear back-and-forth and not have to do our own laundry (never got it), a field that didn't require at least 30 minutes more of our time to travel to/from, a field that didn't require us to spend more of our time doing maintenance in order to have only 10 bad hops per game instead of 30, a camcorder or something we could record ourselves to break down mechanics and watch them on film (I guess we sort of got that in our last year, but it wasn't widely available) . . . as I said, just the bare basics.

The current team has all of that stuff and more.
Two wrongs don’t make a right.
I'm not sure how not giving NIL money to the baseball program is considered a "wrong." I did more than my fair share of the relationship, especially considering the funding and scholarship money available to most of us. Marshall didn't do their end and never righted their wrong. Now, you want those of us who were done wrong to continue giving? This feels like a bastardized version of Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Now, you want those of us who were done wrong to continue giving? This feels like a bastardized version of Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Yes. And the reason is simple....because.

Without others donating when you played here, you would have been somewhere else (Granted, maybe that is what you wish you would have done) but you didnt, and people paid for that. So why wouldnt you do the same? Just because you were wronged so badly way back then by people who arent even around anymore, other than those that were donating then and now.

So because you are wronged, you and the rest of your teammates think it is ok to not give now to these guys?

And I wasnt talking about you donating to the NIL. I am still very indifferent about that.

But why not give back to the program. Even if not in money, then maybe, just biting your tonue (or in this case your fingers) and stop being so demeaning towards the fact that they arent performing so well right now.

Now, you are going to take this and spit back some 48 page Bleedsgreen style word salad that I am going to read the first and last words of, and you will get the last word in etc.

But, in this case. You are wrong, you wont admit it, but you are wrong, and deep down, you know you are wrong.

Reactions: Herdnon
I wasn't given the exact details, but reading the tea leaves it appeared that it had to do with the treatment of the players, and the players weren't the only ones complaining.
Sounds like inmates running the asylum. CS heard what he wanted to hear. I never heard that from players the only issue was they didn’t have money for equipment as CS never paid Nike and Nike had them cut off

So because you are wronged, you and the rest of your teammates think it is ok to not give now to these guys?
I've never heard that it was an obligation, mandatory, or even expected to donate. How many MU football players donate back annually? I am guessing that it is less than 10%. I am guessing that is the same number for MU baseball.

I don't think there is anything wrong with no donating back. If I gave $XXXX money each year to the program, I wouldn't be bothered if former teammates didn't give back.

But why not give back to the program. Even if not in money, then maybe, just biting your tonue (or in this case your fingers) and stop being so demeaning towards the fact that they arent performing so well right now.
By sitting quietly and not voicing displeasure, it would be a disservice to the program. That's a sign of apathy which is the worst thing an organization can have from its stakeholders.

It's why people get annoyed with you from your stances on programs that are not doing well. By refusing to acknowledge, voice displeasure, and act on a bad situation, it is accepting the failure. It doesn't make you less of a fan. If your child comes home with a report card with a bunch of Ds on it, you aren't going to congratulate them, blame it on all of their teachers, or make excuses. You will continue to encourage your child and help them, but you will also tell them it is unacceptable, demand change, and not continue to promote things that are leading to all of those Ds.

But, in this case. You are wrong, you wont admit it, but you are wrong, and deep down, you know you are wrong.
I don't feel that I am even mildly wrong about not donating to the program other than a $500 brick.

Yes. And the reason is simple....because.

Without others donating when you played here, you would have been somewhere else (Granted, maybe that is what you wish you would have done) but you didnt, and people paid for that. So why wouldnt you do the same? Just because you were wronged so badly way back then by people who arent even around anymore, other than those that were donating then and now.

And I wasnt talking about you donating to the NIL. I am still very indifferent about that.

Now, you are going to take this and spit back some 48 page Bleedsgreen style word salad that I am going to read the first and last words of, and you will get the last word in etc.

Marshall appears to have a history of not doing well with relationships with former athletes. Maybe there is a pattern there.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT