ADVERTISEMENT

Spears

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
During Sunday's baseball broadcast on ESPN+, Marshall decided to be Marshall. Christian Spears, when talking about the first-pitch home run, said "it makes you know that there is something bigger out there that takes care of us all. God is good."

Really? So hitting a home run in a new stadium shows that there is a higher power taking care of us all and that god is good? If you're going to go that route via national coverage while representing a secular institution that includes people who don't believe in your god, don't believe in any god, or believe in multiple gods, could you not have used a better example to prove why "there is something bigger out there that takes care of us all" and why "god is good" other than a kid hitting a home run?

Where is the "all hat and no cattle" guy when we need him?

what I like best is the profile of the kid that hit the homerun, on Herdzone, hit the link

now onto the ESPN quote, I always just use Mathew 6.6, look it up

and now onto all hat and no cattle Spears... its a crying shame too many of the powers that be were either leaving or retiring as he was coming in, as they knew his resume was at best completely embellished or at worse just flat out lies. They were going to call him on it, but just decided to ride off into the sunset instead, and leave us to pick up his mess. Takes a lot of credit for stuff he is not responsible for.
Why people think he has anything to do with Huff or DD other than get them coffee in the AM is beyond me. Lets face it, the guy is a California lawyer, not an athlete.

what I like best is the profile of the kid that hit the homerun, on Herdzone, hit the link

now onto the ESPN quote, I always just use Mathew 6.6, look it up

and now onto all hat and no cattle Spears... its a crying shame too many of the powers that be were either leaving or retiring as he was coming in, as they knew his resume was at best completely embellished or at worse just flat out lies. They were going to call him on it, but just decided to ride off into the sunset instead, and leave us to pick up his mess. Takes a lot of credit for stuff he is not responsible for.
Why people think he has anything to do with Huff or DD other than get them coffee in the AM is beyond me. Lets face it, the guy is a California lawyer, not an athlete.
Still pissed about the track coach, huh?

When you are in way over your head, and you are put in a spot where you have to be the face of the franchise, bad things happen... You say something stupid... You don't know what to do with your hands... You sweat a lot on camera, etc.

Spears is a phenomenal branch manager. As Sam points out routinely, the light bill gets paid, the website gets updated, the uniforms get washed, Joyce in accounting gets flowers on her birthday, etc. Every organization needs that guy, a task master that greases the wheels for leadership to do its job.

Just dont confuse a task master in middle management for a CEO... If you do, you get what we've got right now. Hopefully he grows into it. Because the lights are only getting brighter as scrutiny increases regarding the two programs that make the athletic department run.

When you are in way over your head, and you are put in a spot where you have to be the face of the franchise, bad things happen... You say something stupid... You don't know what to do with your hands... You sweat a lot on camera, etc.

Spears is a phenomenal branch manager. As Sam points out routinely, the light bill gets paid, the website gets updated, the uniforms get washed, Joyce in accounting gets flowers on her birthday, etc. Every organization needs that guy, a task master that greases the wheels for leadership to do its job.

Just dont confuse a task master in middle management for a CEO... If you do, you get what we've got right now. Hopefully he grows into it. Because the lights are only getting brighter as scrutiny increases regarding the two programs that make the athletic department run.
Good post. Spears has done some good things. Hired Caldwell. But as you pointed out, the lack of experience hurts. Marshall hired cheap, just like Huff. You choose someone without AD or HC experience, expect bumps along the way and hope it works out for Marshall.

Reactions: RhinoD
The very fact that people would not exist if not for the good God has done shows why you praise Him for everything… including homeruns!

Believe how you want but doesn’t mean it’s true….

As for your post in general, it probably falls under another board, to be honest….

Last edited:
The very fact that people would not exist if not for the good God has done shows why you praise Him for everything… including homeruns!
He wasn't praising him for the home run (regardless of how foolish that would be). He was using the home run as some sort of backwoods logic that it meant his god is taking care of us (Marshall).

Believe how you want but doesn’t mean it’s true….
That's great coming from a believer.

As for your post in general, it probably falls under another board, to be honest….
This board is to talk about Marshall, "to be honest." My post wasn't the one that introduced a discussion of whether your god (or any god) is real. That was your post, which "probably falls under another board, to be honest." My post was simply discussing the appropriateness of our AD at a secular institution making the comments he did and linking them to the home run which is completely appropriate to be discussed on this board.

Regardless if anything he said is true or is actually the work of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it isn't appropriate for an AD to say during a broadcast, and it is more outlandish to do based on a leadoff home run instead of a serious situation (major bus crash involving our athletes with no casualties, etc.). If he doesn't like that, both he and you should start following Liberty.

He wasn't praising him for the home run (regardless of how foolish that would be). He was using the home run as some sort of backwoods logic that it meant his god is taking care of us (Marshall).

That's great coming from a believer.

This board is to talk about Marshall, "to be honest." My post wasn't the one that introduced a discussion of whether your god (or any god) is real. That was your post, which "probably falls under another board, to be honest." My post was simply discussing the appropriateness of our AD at a secular institution making the comments he did and linking them to the home run which is completely appropriate to be discussed on this board.

Regardless if anything he said is true or is actually the work of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it isn't appropriate for an AD to say during a broadcast, and it is more outlandish to do based on a leadoff home run instead of a serious situation (major bus crash involving our athletes with no casualties, etc.). If he doesn't like that, both he and you should start following Liberty.
I’m onboard with you here. Kinda crazy to think that a god that controls all wouldn’t have prevented a plane crash, yet rewards us with a home run.

It was about Jack Cook, not the plane crash; but, oh well......

A secular school with two churches on campus. Marshall Catholic Newman Center and the
Campus Christian Center. I think it’s ok for Christian to reference God in relation to Marshall University.

A secular school with two churches on campus. Marshall Catholic Newman Center and the
Campus Christian Center. I think it’s ok for Christian to reference God in relation to Marshall University.
The Campus Christian Center is technically not on campus.

How is that? It's next to the student union and

How is that? It's next door to the student center and across from Jenkins Hall and Towers.
It is owned by a separate entity. It would be like you owning a house on 6th and Marshall owning all the the bordering properties.

The "flying spaghetti monster" suffered for about 33 years and then allowed himself to be tortured to death for every indidvidual human being on the planet, ever.

aliens weapons GIF by South Park

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Wrong. It's a good example of mercy and patience. Those that died in the flood were given decades to repent. They didn't.n
True, which only means Jesus/God is the original creator of the death penalty… those that died, everyone but 8 people, only died because sin and its only sin because God said so…

Sin brings death..

your not getting it, without God there is no Cain and Able, without God there is no reason for death, without God there is no sin, it’s Gods death penalty because he has created it all.

But, it was Eve’s sin that brought death..

your not getting it, without God there is no Cain and Able, without God there is no reason for death, without God there is no sin, it’s Gods death penalty because he has created it all.

But, it was Eve’s sin that brought death..
Wrong again.
God did not make Adam and Eve sin. Their disobedience was sin. Because of sin, death was passed upon every man (the result of sin is death). Sin cannot enter heaven. God then made a way for all his people to be reconciled to him, which made it possible for all men to enter heaven IF they do what they are commanded. Mercy and patience.

I probably disagree with this^^

Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world
Eve was deceived then ate first then Adam, through that sin God’s death was brought… nothing died until Eve’s and technically Adam’s sin… Eve becomes Mother to all living, why, because death has entered, who’s death God’s death which he created…

Wrong again.
God did not make Adam and Eve sin. Their disobedience was sin. Because of sin, death was passed upon every man (the result of sin is death). Sin cannot enter heaven. God then made a way for all his people to be reconciled to him, which made it possible for all men to enter heaven IF they do what they are commanded. Mercy and patience.
You’re missing the point, without God/Jesus nothing NOTHING! Would be.. there for God/Jesus fully supports the death penalty or they would have never commanded Adam and Eve to not eat the fruit that would bring forth death!

Sin is man, women included, breaking the law. Law was do not eat of this tree, Eve broke it then Adam then death..

Eve was deceived then ate first then Adam, through that sin God’s death was brought… nothing died until Eve’s and technically Adam’s sin… Eve becomes Mother to all living, why, because death has entered, who’s death God’s death which he created…
Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world

What part of this do you not understand?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT