ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

Rent free 🤣
MU has a portal to Nike. If a coach needs equipment they go to the Nike portal to order it. Just think how a coach would feel if they went to order equipment from Nike only to find out the bill hadn’t been paid by MU!!! Since CS became AD!!! You would think one would be embarrassed by that. But just them down to Glenn’s so you can look like a rag tag bunch

MU has a portal to Nike. If a coach needs equipment they go to the Nike portal to order it. Just think how a coach would feel if they went to order equipment from Nike only to find out the bill hadn’t been paid by MU!!! Since CS became AD!!! You would think one would be embarrassed by that. But just them down to Glenn’s so you can look like a rag tag bunch
I can't speak to whether or not we lapsed on bills, but if I remember correctly not too long after Brad Smith was named president Phil Knight personally flew to Huntington (I think Donahoe was with him as well) and not too long after that a new 7-year (might be off on the number) deal with Nike was announced.

Marshall has a very good relationship with Nike, or rather Brad Smith does with Phil and John.

Last edited:
I've never heard that it was an obligation, mandatory, or even expected to donate. How many MU football players donate back annually? I am guessing that it is less than 10%. I am guessing that is the same number for MU baseball.

I don't think there is anything wrong with no donating back. If I gave $XXXX money each year to the program, I wouldn't be bothered if former teammates didn't give back.

By sitting quietly and not voicing displeasure, it would be a disservice to the program. That's a sign of apathy which is the worst thing an organization can have from its stakeholders.

It's why people get annoyed with you from your stances on programs that are not doing well. By refusing to acknowledge, voice displeasure, and act on a bad situation, it is accepting the failure. It doesn't make you less of a fan. If your child comes home with a report card with a bunch of Ds on it, you aren't going to congratulate them, blame it on all of their teachers, or make excuses. You will continue to encourage your child and help them, but you will also tell them it is unacceptable, demand change, and not continue to promote things that are leading to all of those Ds.

I don't feel that I am even mildly wrong about not donating to the program other than a $500 brick.
I don't think sitting quietly and not voicing displeasure is right. Like you said, apathy is worse.

However, how we express displeasure and what we say is also very important. In your analogy, if your child comes home with a report card with a bunch of Ds on it, you don't want to just sit quietly and be apathetic. However, here're the possible scenarios of how you can respond. I'm trying to craft the analogy with how you have been responding and how I think @Aaron Perkins is challenging us to respond better.

Option 1
When your child comes home with bunch of Ds, you tell him how awful and pathetic he is. You compare him to your friend's children, and how everyone else is doing much better than him. You bring up your hard childhood, how your parents mistreated you, lied to you, didn't feed you well, and was abusive. You tell your son that while he has had the same childhood experience till a year ago, but bec he has it much better now for a year, he does not have any good reason to still fail. Bec of your anger to how you were mistreated by your parents, you tell your son that he doesn't deserve any better or be supported until he shows you that he deserves your support and encouragement by performing better.

Option 2
When your child comes home with bunch of Ds, you tell him that you love him and support him regardless. You understand how life has been very hard for him until 1 year ago when he finally have the tools to succeed. You understand, empathize and show grace bec you experienced the same growing up. Instead of being bitter about the experience, you want your son to experience a different life. You tell your son that you understand he just started having the tools to succeed a year ago. Now that he has the tool, he needs to start changing his mindset and raise his goal higher, that a bunch of Ds is not acceptable anymore, and that you will be here to support him as he goes through this transition. You will not allow him to wallow in failure and mediocracy but you will challenge him in a positive and encouraging way, not lashing out in anger bec of your bitterness about your own past.

I don't think sitting quietly and not voicing displeasure is right. Like you said, apathy is worse.

However, how we express displeasure and what we say is also very important. In your analogy, if your child comes home with a report card with a bunch of Ds on it, you don't want to just sit quietly and be apathetic. However, here're the possible scenarios of how you can respond. I'm trying to craft the analogy with how you have been responding and how I think @Aaron Perkins is challenging us to respond better.
That would make sense if I were addressing the team directly as their coach. But I’m not.

Among fans, I’m discussing just how drastically bad this team is. I’m not trying to give the team a pep talk. I’m discussing the historical awfulness of this team with fans, and hopefully, being read by the athletic administration.

Reactions: RhinoD
That would make sense if I were addressing the team directly as their coach. But I’m not.

Among fans, I’m discussing just how drastically bad this team is. I’m not trying to give the team a pep talk. I’m discussing the historical awfulness of this team with fans, and hopefully, being read by the athletic administration.
You brought up the analogy of your child coming home with all Ds...
Man shrug

Maybe given that we are not the coach addressing the team directly, we also don't know all the details and context. There has to be a better way for fans to express displeasure, but still be supportive and encouraging, and not let our bitterness of how we were mistreated in the past impact our willingness to support and encourage the current team (or being able to critique in a positive/encouraging way - if that's even possible).

How you are expressing your criticism and displeasure is being colored and impacted by your bitterness by how you were treated, and the current team was not responsible for that. It seems like you are very resentful of the current team bec they got all the things you never got when you were playing?

Please do us and yourself a favor...stop and seek help. Your irrational beliefs fuel your actions, which in turn cause you to say inaccurate things.

Oh, can you please tell me who announced the renewed partnership whole you're at it?

I can't speak to whether or not we lapsed on bills, but if I remember correctly not too long after Brad Smith was named president Phil Knight personally flew to Huntington (I think Donahoe was with him as well) and not too long after that a new 7-year (might be off on the number) deal with Nike was announced.

Marshall has a very good relationship with Nike, or rather Brad Smith does with Phil and John.

Marshall/Brad Smith do. They inked a renewal deal with Nike last year.

You brought up the analogy of your child coming home with all Ds...
Man shrug
I did. But in doing so, I explained that a parent isn't going to applaud their effort on those Ds and ignore the failure of getting good grades. Likewise, when a team is playing at a D level, a fan isn't (or at least shouldn't) ignore their failure and just focus on that they had fun and played hard for all seven innings of what was supposed to be a nine inning game.

Maybe given that we are not the coach addressing the team directly, we also don't know all the details and context. There has to be a better way for fans to express displeasure, but still be supportive and encouraging,
But we do know the context and details. It's a fan on a sports message board discussing, with facts, just how bad this team has been performing. Supportive and encouraging? Who the fvck am I supposed to be encouraging on here? I am not addressing the team. Am I supposed to be encouraging the fans to pay $35 for a ticket through SeatGeek to watch this product?

How you are expressing your criticism and displeasure is being colored and impacted by your bitterness by how you were treated, and the current team was not responsible for that. It seems like you are very resentful of the current team bec they got all the things you never got when you were playing?
I've recently gone over this on here. I don't have resentment nor bitterness. All of us during that time were blatantly lied to, misled, and had to spent our time and money doing things that should have been provided at even a bare level. I don't blame the current team for that. But I also can't understand people telling me I should donate to a team (and most likely coaches) who are as bad as this team has been for the past 1.5 years with a hell of a lot more than previous teams had and with a hell of a lot more than many other conference teams have, which was not how it used to be.

Please do us and yourself a favor...stop and seek help. Your irrational beliefs fuel your actions, which in turn cause you to say inaccurate things.

Oh, can you please tell me who announced the renewed partnership whole you're at it?

They hadn’t paid their bill for several yrs. It’s known fact. Nike probably extended them just to try to get some of their money owed

I did. But in doing so, I explained that a parent isn't going to applaud their effort on those Ds and ignore the failure of getting good grades. Likewise, when a team is playing at a D level, a fan isn't (or at least shouldn't) ignore their failure and just focus on that they had fun and played hard for all seven innings of what was supposed to be a nine inning game.

But we do know the context and details. It's a fan on a sports message board discussing, with facts, just how bad this team has been performing. Supportive and encouraging? Who the fvck am I supposed to be encouraging on here? I am not addressing the team. Am I supposed to be encouraging the fans to pay $35 for a ticket through SeatGeek to watch this product?

I've recently gone over this on here. I don't have resentment nor bitterness. All of us during that time were blatantly lied to, misled, and had to spent our time and money doing things that should have been provided at even a bare level. I don't blame the current team for that. But I also can't understand people telling me I should donate to a team (and most likely coaches) who are as bad as this team has been for the past 1.5 years with a hell of a lot more than previous teams had and with a hell of a lot more than many other conference teams have, which was not how it used to be.
Fair enough. I don't agree, but I appreciate you engaging and explaining (which is what message boards are supposed to be for). Thanks!

I haven’t heard of this fact. So a huge company that we haven’t paid in several years signed a new contract with us because they like to lose money?
Well the source is the coach who went to Nike to buy something followed by a friends son who had to go to Glenn’s to get his baseball gear. We were cut off by Nike
Yes it is hard to believe most likely when Brad got here they knew he would get things straightened out.
But you can’t fly a football team to Harrisonburg VA and not expect to have financial difficulties

Well the source is the coach who went to Nike to buy something followed by a friends son who had to go to Glenn’s to get his baseball gear. We were cut off by Nike
Yes it is hard to believe most likely when Brad got here they knew he would get things straightened out.
But you can’t fly a football team to Harrisonburg VA and not expect to have financial difficulties
Seems odd, doesn't it? JMU, Appy, ODU, VT all bused here. Wonder how much we spend a year on athletic department staff's travel to away games?

Marshall got hammered again today against a 12-31 team from an inferior conference. It was 8-0 in the third inning. Marshall hit .212 as a team.

• Sad
Reactions: Herdnon
We lost
It sucked
Yes the batting average is a fact

But why all the constant extra added slams towards the program that you helped build the foundation of.

Why no pride in what is there.

Just don’t get it
Hahahahaha foundation?!?! Rifles teams sucked just as bad. Face it we were never nor will we ever be a baseball school.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Marshall got hammered again today against a 12-31 team from an inferior conference. It was 8-0 in the third inning. Marshall hit .212 as a team.
Its an incredible level of offensive futility... Especially given that offense is up pretty much across the board in college baseball. I caught part of the South Carolina-Kentucky game the other night while I was down in Augusta playing golf. What looked like routine fly balls were leaving the yard and the announcers spent two innings talking about how the offense has run away and hid from the pitching at the college level.

Marshall is currently averaging 4.1 runs per game (292nd in the country)... In contrast there are half a dozen teams averaging more than 10 runs per game and two averaging more than 11 runs per game (Austin Peay and Tennessee)... The mean (Memphis, ranked 148 out of 295 teams) is averaging 7.2 runs per game.

Hahahahaha foundation?!?! Rifles teams sucked just as bad. Face it we were never nor will we ever be a baseball school.
Just because you had to smell our sweaty asses after games doesn’t mean you know much of anything.

Compare this team’s record to any team that I played on. Compare the last few years of Marshall’s baseball growth compared to the growth before I came and then after.

Compare team stats and national rankings from my years to this year’s team.

The years I was there, Marshall was far better than this year’s team even though this year’s team has unbelievably more advantages.

Just because you had to smell our sweaty asses after games doesn’t mean you know much of anything.

Compare this team’s record to any team that I played on. Compare the last few years of Marshall’s baseball growth compared to the growth before I came and then after.

Compare team stats and national rankings from my years to this year’s team.

The years I was there, Marshall was far better than this year’s team even though this year’s team has unbelievably more advantages.
That's like comparing a BK Whopper to a Mickey D's Big Mac. A bad burger is a bad burger.

I did read on here that the team you played on had a sexy catcher though.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
8th inning, and Marshall is losing 2-0. Remember, this team has a team ERA over 9.00.

Three pitchers have shutout the Herd. They just brought in a fourth pitcher, and he has walked three batters to load the bases. This is exactly what I said Marshall should be doing many weeks ago. Just take as many pitches as possible. Don't swing. Hope you get walked. Now, because they have walked three times, they have a chance to finally score.

What an awful game, an awful ending, and a team that has horrible baseball intelligence. I don't see high school kids making that type of mental error.

Seven straight losses. They're almost halfway to how they ended last season with a 15 game losing streak.

Last edited:
Coach or former coach?

Rifle ripping on baseball

Sluggo ripping on all things Marshall

Another day on HN

Congrats to you both
Not really , only thing I rip on is the feckless AD CS
Never said a word about BB
I’ve been very supportive of the distance runners at MU
You need to re read the posts
FB I m up in the air about. But the tailgating is good

Rifle ripping on baseball
Oh, yeah. We are supposed to congratulate and encourage them even when they play awful.

“Yeah, that baserunning mental error was something you only see at the Little League level, but at least when you walked you jogged to first base instead of jogging to third base, so that’s a start!”

Thankfully, they don’t play today, so I’ll be able to keep my meals down.

Reactions: RhinoD
Not really , only thing I rip on is the feckless AD CS
Never said a word about BB
I’ve been very supportive of the distance runners at MU
You need to re read the posts
FB I m up in the air about. But the tailgating is good

Rent free 🤣🤣🤣

Only pattern here is male patterned baldness.
Nearly 20% of your last 50 posts have been this failed attempt. This is why your own kind mocks you and laughs at you when you try to say that I am the obsessed one. Keep track of how many people actually respond to your posts on here. Take a hint.

Still angry at life I see. I won't waste time calculating subjects of your recent posts but a quick review of reaction scores tells me I'm good. Ha! And I don't even know or care what reaction score is.

Keep seeking attention I enjoy laughing at you.

It's funny I always know what will yank your chain and you deliver like a good puppet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT