ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Facility

MH did A+ level work, cleaning up the absolute mess made by the LIAR, Satan's Vile Servant, KO Marcum. IPF, soccer, better travel, lots of things. And the university generally is doing better than it ever has. But the amount of $$ available is finite. There are only so many people with so much money willing to pay.

But, there just is NEVER anything done about baseball. There is ALWAYS a higher priority. Right now, and I'm not saying it should not be, that seems to be basketball. Whatever. But the answer for baseball is always no.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
I exchanged a couple of tweets about the baseball stadium with the Mayor and he said "oh ye of little faith". So sounds like it's gonna happen. Also I talked to a guy in August who knows some folks and he told me this then that it would be announced soon. This is before I had any clue there was any kind if plan

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
MH did A+ level work, cleaning up the absolute mess made by the LIAR, Satan's Vile Servant, KO Marcum. IPF, soccer, better travel, lots of things. And the university generally is doing better than it ever has. But the amount of $$ available is finite. There are only so many people with so much money willing to pay.

But, there just is NEVER anything done about baseball. There is ALWAYS a higher priority. Right now, and I'm not saying it should not be, that seems to be basketball. Whatever. But the answer for baseball is always no.
Sam - could not agree more on he whose name will not be mentioned!!
I wrote a letter to him..... told him to put down the shovel. The hole he dug us into has only recently been restored to ground level.

Mayor - In public finance and economic development, like sports, good intentions is not enough. I have no doubt that he wants to make Huntington great again, to steal a phrase. 95% of people in politics and government want good things to happen for whatever they are involved in. That does not translate into the ability to get things done. There just isn't money.

KO - The damage that POS did to our program is still being felt. At the eve of the great realignment he destroyed the greatest mid-major program in history up to that time. Where we would be had he not been a LIAR and not destroyed the program is unimaginable.

If was not a great leader and fundraiser like MH cleaning up the mess, we might not have sports at all now.

KO - The damage that POS did to our program is still being felt. At the eve of the great realignment he destroyed the greatest mid-major program in history up to that time. Where we would be had he not been a LIAR and not destroyed the program is unimaginable.

You're a fool. The major realignment was from 2010-2014. Kayo arrived in Huntington 8-12 years (2004) before that as an interim. By the time realignment started, Marshall was already well in the shitter. They had 1 winning season in the seven years prior to the start of realignment. Kayo couldn't have destroyed a program as an interim within 1 year.

Marshall went 65-13 from 1997-2002. Boise went 64-12 from 1999-2004. Advantage Boise. So even before your alleged "Kayo destruction spree," Boise was the "greatest mid-major program in history up to that time."

Then, during Kayo's time, Boise went 73-6 in another six year span. Even during your alleged "greatest mid-major program in history" span, Boise was better. Then, add in another stretch of going 73-6, which Marshall wouldn't have been able to touch regardless if Kayo never showed up, and it further cements you being a fool.

Sam - could not agree more on he whose name will not be mentioned!!
I wrote a letter to him..... told him to put down the shovel. The hole he dug us into has only recently been restored to ground level.

Really? You took the time to write a letter to a Marshall guy that was doing the job of AD for about 1/3 of the cost? The folks that are still blaming Marcum for all of Marshall's problems are some of the most ignorant that I've seen.

Reactions: Y.A.G Si Ye Nots
KO was the worst administrative hire in Marshall history. The program was moving forward yet he sat still and let everything get stale. He let the Gibson's hire Snyder and failed to position us well for the next realignment. A terrible hire when we needed a young, proactive AD. As the UMass fans said - he's your problem now.

Add to that, he alienated most of our big donors. Justice and Hoops being among them. Hamrick brought them back in the fold for the Vision Campaign

Really? You took the time to write a letter to a Marshall guy that was doing the job of AD for about 1/3 of the cost? The folks that are still blaming Marcum for all of Marshall's problems are some of the most ignorant that I've seen.
Maniac - you have no idea what you're talking about! You are embodying the K.O. philosophy - "a quick dime". He set us back a decade with his inane decisions, didn't put any effort into improving the athletic dept and then sauntered off to Lexington so he could pal around with his WildCat buddies. He was the worst AD we have had in my short lifetime, with a Miss Congeniality award to the A.D. who got us tossed from the MAC in the 60's....

You're a fool. The major realignment was from 2010-2014. Kayo arrived in Huntington 8-12 years (2004) before that as an interim. By the time realignment started, Marshall was already well in the shitter. They had 1 winning season in the seven years prior to the start of realignment. Kayo couldn't have destroyed a program as an interim within 1 year.

Marshall went 65-13 from 1997-2002. Boise went 64-12 from 1999-2004. Advantage Boise. So even before your alleged "Kayo destruction spree," Boise was the "greatest mid-major program in history up to that time."

Then, during Kayo's time, Boise went 73-6 in another six year span. Even during your alleged "greatest mid-major program in history" span, Boise was better. Then, add in another stretch of going 73-6, which Marshall wouldn't have been able to touch regardless if Kayo never showed up, and it further cements you being a fool.
YAGS - you were a recent graduate of Marshall shortly before that time period (1999?) You seem like an intelligent guy - K.O. was the worst! While I am not remotely prepared to go toe to toe with you in terms of internet research, I will simply ask this ?:
Is there ANYONE on this board who has the opnion that Robert Marcum left the Marshall Athletic Dept in better shape (morale, financial, facilities, HC of the football team) than when he took on the job?

Anyone who thinks Kayo's tenure as MU's AD was a "positive" is sadly mistaken. He had had checkered success as UMass's AD and left South Carolina's AD position under fire. I believe he came to MU when the AD was Lance West and Dan Angel was the President. What does that tell you??

Last edited:
YAGS - you were a recent graduate of Marshall shortly before that time period (1999?)

Your time period is off.

You seem like an intelligent guy -

That's a monumental understatement.

Is there ANYONE on this board who has the opnion that Robert Marcum left the Marshall Athletic Dept in better shape (morale, financial, facilities, HC of the football team) than when he took on the job?

That wasn't a point I contested. I contested Samantha's claim that Kayo's was the one who destroyed our chance at realignment on the "eve" of it. Kayo had been there for a decade in the middle of realignment. Marshall football had already started declining before Kayo stepped foot on campus.

Not to defend him, but aren’t buyout clauses written into the contract? I mean, if they pay the buyout fee, then there is no “letting them out”. They’r’re out. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Maniac - you have no idea what you're talking about! You are embodying the K.O. philosophy - "a quick dime". He set us back a decade with his inane decisions, didn't put any effort into improving the athletic dept and then sauntered off to Lexington so he could pal around with his WildCat buddies. He was the worst AD we have had in my short lifetime, with a Miss Congeniality award to the A.D. who got us tossed from the MAC in the 60's....

You may be surprised by what I actually know. My opinions are not just based on what I read on a message board or in the media or by what "so and so told me." And I'm not embodying anything. I'm simply telling you that if you believe that Marcum is the reason Marshall some tough years you are ignorant and should stop talking. Usually people, when critical of Marcum point to a couple of things...1. Hiring Mark Snyder and 2. Comments about the MBB job not being a great job. Do you have anything tangible other than those things? Seems to me, like everybody else you are just speaking in generalities and don't really know any details.

You may be surprised by what I actually know. My opinions are not just based on what I read on a message board or in the media or by what "so and so told me." And I'm not embodying anything. I'm simply telling you that if you believe that Marcum is the reason Marshall some tough years you are ignorant and should stop talking. Usually people, when critical of Marcum point to a couple of things...1. Hiring Mark Snyder and 2. Comments about the MBB job not being a great job. Do you have anything tangible other than those things? Seems to me, like everybody else you are just speaking in generalities and don't really know any details.
He absolutely was NOT fan friendly.
I remember at a Big Green tailgate in Birmingham one time. He sat outside the tent with a couple of old classmates and NEVER got off his chair to acknowledge a single attendee.

Do you have anything tangible other than those things?

Those are enough, but when talking about the LIAR, KO Marcum.

- He allowed a total incompetent compliance director who did know the rules (according to his own testimony) get us in NCAA trouble.
- Said incompetent compliance director is rumored to have made inappropriate sexual advances towards multiple male students, including underage recurits, with no action from the LIAR.
- He informed the "middle class" BG donors that their money and their ideas were not needed and not welcome.
- He LIED to BP, which caused BP to retire abruptly.
- He LIED, announcing a "done deal" IPF, and then, when he p***ed away the money, LIED and said that he had never announced an IPF.
- He wasted millions on a softball field that was NOT needed to comply with Title IX.
- He not only hired MS, he RETAINED MS long after it became totally evident that MS lacked the fundamental ability to coach football. And after MS also made evident that he had zero point zero "people skills", an aspect totally needed at a booster supported college program (unless you are Nick Saban).
-He let, actually begged off the above mentioned step up games, because he knew the low level of play that had resulted from his hire MS would embaras us.
- He, after tossing the regular BG members to the side, then proceeded to alienate multiple big $$ donors, including a guy who would grow up to be governor. Through LIES and arrogance.

Anybody who argues that the LIAR KO Marcum is anything but an incompetent boob and LIAR just wants to argue. He damaged MU sports more than any person in history. He is a LIAR and a fool.

I never liked Kayo and agree that he was bad. I do think in retrospect we blame him for everything, but I would say that some of that can be attributed to others too.

the IPF - as I recall Kopp pulled the plug on that with his public "I speak for this University" comments.
I also understand Kopp had a hand in the softball field.
He hired Mark Snyder with help from others on our BOG and an interim President.
He did beg off of some games to give his HC relief. By the way some of our fans were fooled by Doc's early success with weak schedules, maybe it was the right move. I still doubt UT was EVER coming, it doesn't make economic sense. Miami would have came and it was sad that we begged off after making one visit and basically having a 1-1 left.

That said, I don't like Kayo and am glad he is gone and don't think he did a good job.

What did he do that was so great? How did he advance our program? I honestly can't recall a single thing.

What did he do that was so great? How did he advance our program? I honestly can't recall a single thing.

So you don't have a reply now you want to change the debate. I didn't say he was great. I say he gets the blame for everything that is wrong at Marshall and it's simply not true....it's nowhere close to true. Marshall's athletic department was a wreck before Kayo ever got there.

Those are enough, but when talking about the LIAR, KO Marcum.

- He allowed a total incompetent compliance director who did know the rules (according to his own testimony) get us in NCAA trouble.
- Said incompetent compliance director is rumored to have made inappropriate sexual advances towards multiple male students, including underage recurits, with no action from the LIAR.
- He informed the "middle class" BG donors that their money and their ideas were not needed and not welcome.
- He LIED to BP, which caused BP to retire abruptly.
- He LIED, announcing a "done deal" IPF, and then, when he p***ed away the money, LIED and said that he had never announced an IPF.
- He wasted millions on a softball field that was NOT needed to comply with Title IX.
- He not only hired MS, he RETAINED MS long after it became totally evident that MS lacked the fundamental ability to coach football. And after MS also made evident that he had zero point zero "people skills", an aspect totally needed at a booster supported college program (unless you are Nick Saban).
-He let, actually begged off the above mentioned step up games, because he knew the low level of play that had resulted from his hire MS would embaras us.
- He, after tossing the regular BG members to the side, then proceeded to alienate multiple big $$ donors, including a guy who would grow up to be governor. Through LIES and arrogance.

Anybody who argues that the LIAR KO Marcum is anything but an incompetent boob and LIAR just wants to argue. He damaged MU sports more than any person in history. He is a LIAR and a fool.

Your comments about him lying to Bob Pruett are enough to show how ignorant you really are about the entire situation.

You are made to look foolish on this board on a regular basis, so I'm not going to waste time going down your list as each claim is pretty much bogus.

So you don't have a reply now you want to change the debate. I didn't say he was great. I say he gets the blame for everything that is wrong at Marshall and it's simply not true....it's nowhere close to true. Marshall's athletic department was a wreck before Kayo ever got there.

Not changing the debate at all. I was just questioning your thought as to what he did well. The AD was a mess, no question. Lance West was way in over his head but KO certainly wasn't the remedy. He oversaw the program when we needed an energetic leader and failed miserably at that. We'll have to agree to disagree on the value of his tenure at Marshall.

MM - If you will review Sam's response th
Your comments about him lying to Bob Pruett are enough to show how ignorant you really are about the entire situation.

You are made to look foolish on this board on a regular basis, so I'm not going to waste time going down your list as each claim is pretty much bogus.
This from the poster whose main point in defense of KO was that he was hired "on the cheap"? That's NO reason to support the tenure of an imbecile who did major damage t the athletic program. Remember, we were placed on probation for the janitor gate fiasco while Bob played his fiddle, and Rome burned....

As a extraordinary counter-weight - Dan D'Antoni was hired "on the cheap".....many thought that was the saving grace of making a terrible hire: a 65 y.o. man who had never coached on the college level prior to accepting the job. That one right there? (as Sonny would quip) ...that's a 10!

MM - If you will review Sam's response th

This from the poster whose main point in defense of KO was that he was hired "on the cheap"? That's NO reason to support the tenure of an imbecile who did major damage t the athletic program. Remember, we were placed on probation for the janitor gate fiasco while Bob played his fiddle, and Rome burned....

So it's Marcum's fault that we got on probation? That's a new one. And no, that is not my main defense of KO. Your timelines don't match up, my man. And seriously, the only reason I take up for Marcum at all is because there are still children out there....internet tough guys...that call people like him and Mark Snyder "imbeciles." It's ridiculous. It's one thing to not be happy with the way somebody does their job. It's something else hurl childish insults. The guy has been gone for almost 10 years.

So again, you have any legit reasons to hate Marcum so much? Have any good reasons to call him an imbecile?

Well, he did really only do one third of work he should have at MU and left us stale with mediocre facilities and bad coaches so that we could get left behind.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Our poor performances in football and basketball, mediocre and stale facilities, and low athletic budget lead to us not being considered by the Big East/AAC during the conference realignments. Hamrick has done a world of good work since taking over the job and we likely would be in everyone's desired conference if Hamrick had been the AD back then instead of Marcum.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore

In other words, I'm right, and you cannot refute a word I say. So you are just going to namecall.

Maybe you should run for the US Senate.

I would accuse you of being KO, but it is obvious that that moron could not operate a computer.

Game, Set, Match. You lose.

KO did say that the MU b'ball job was crap. That's a feather in the AD's cap.

In other words, I'm right, and you cannot refute a word I say. So you are just going to namecall.

Maybe you should run for the US Senate.

I would accuse you of being KO, but it is obvious that that moron could not operate a computer.

Game, Set, Match. You lose.

What name did I call you? rifle is right about your reading comprehension.

Second, all of...refute what? You did not post any facts? Do you have ANYTHING to back up your claims?
1. Kayo came after we broke the rules and earned probation
2. Your next two claims...I'm pretty sure you made those up yourself.
3. He didn't lie to Bob Pruett and had full intentions on building an IPF. If you want to blame somebody for that falling through how about you look into the Interim President that was at Marshall at that time. That was all on him...not Marcum.
4. He built a softball stadium. I would count that as an accomplishment as softball has been one of our more successful programs along with Volleyball...and I'm pretty sure he hired Mitch Jacobs
5. He did hire Snyder. Who would you have hired?
6. Tennessee wasn't coming here. Get over it. He also scheduled games with Ohio State, Virginia Tech (including a home game), Georiga, Wisconsin and got WVU to play in Huntington.

Got anything else that you just made up?

Oh and speaking of operating a computer. This won't mean much to you but did you know that the athletic department was using (in some cases) 8-10 year old computers when Marcum was hired? He got them on a lease program so they could have new technology every few years. Somewhere in there he also renovated the basketball arena and the Shewey Building even though some money that was promised to him (him and BP actually) ended up going to academic programs thanks to the aforementioned interim President.

Last, you don't say "Game, Set, Match. You Lose" to close your own post. It's really lame. Do you go around saying "drop the mic" after every time you try to make a point as well?

Our poor performances in football and basketball, mediocre and stale facilities, and low athletic budget lead to us not being considered by the Big East/AAC during the conference realignments. Hamrick has done a world of good work since taking over the job and we likely would be in everyone's desired conference if Hamrick had been the AD back then instead of Marcum.

I love Marshall as much as anybody but surely you don't believe that that is the only reason we weren't considered for the Big East/ACC. Marcum did move us into CUSA when it was still pretty good. I love how people blame the AD (whoever it may be) on the lack of budget. Like rifle stated, the football program and biggest revenue producer was already headed toward the garbage when Marcum was hired. Find somebody else to blame.

KO did say that the MU b'ball job was crap. That's a feather in the AD's cap.

Hate to tell you but until last year the bball job was crap. The program had been pretty awful (which a few years as exceptions) for 30 years. I guess you're one of those that really believe that Mike D'Antoni was interested in the job right?

As a extraordinary counter-weight - Dan D'Antoni was hired "on the cheap".....many thought that was the saving grace of making a terrible hire: a 65 y.o. man who had never coached on the college level prior to accepting the job. That one right there? (as Sonny would quip) ...that's a 10!

Just like D'Antoni, he volunteered to take less money so Marshall could pay coaches and support staff more money. What an arrogant jerk. He must hate Marshall. /sarcasm

Seriously, even if he was as bad as you guys have it in your minds. Why eat your own 10 years later?

Just like D'Antoni, he volunteered to take less money so Marshall could pay coaches and support staff more money. What an arrogant jerk. He must hate Marshall. /sarcasm

Seriously, even if he was as bad as you guys have it in your minds. Why eat your own 10 years later?
He was never one of us......I don't care that he graduated from MU - he didn't bleed green.

Last edited:
Hate to tell you but until last year the bball job was crap. The program had been pretty awful (which a few years as exceptions) for 30 years. I guess you're one of those that really believe that Mike D'Antoni was interested in the job right?

Yeah, I knew Mike really wanted the job. What the hell does this have to do with the discussion? Wow!

Even if the job wasn’t the best you really want our AD going around badmouthing it? Delusional.

Are you KO’s son or relative?
CUSA first approached us when West was AD.
He didn’t build a softball stadium. Stephen Koop got the funding for the stadium - he was a HUGE softball fan.
How do you know UT wasn’t coming? No one knows what would have transpired. We can only assume.

You obviously liked KO - for whatever reason. And that’s fine. But the truth is, he did less here than most AD’s considering what he had to work with and his overall experience.

Why don’t you ask Justice, Hoops and some other big donors how he treated them.

He took the job because he knew no other school would hire him that late in his career. Especially after his poor stint at UMass.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
That is no secret that Mike was interested. He told me, He told Dan Shoemaker and I'm sure others. Dan actually tried to broker the deal. He was in Italy at the time and even volunteered to pay his way here to interview. He was told to never mind.
Dan also intervened on Jim Donnan's behalf about coming back when Pruett left. He was told no. Of course we all know that Snyder came in and it was to satisfy a VERY large athletic supporter.

Yeah, I knew Mike really wanted the job. What the hell does this have to do with the discussion? Wow!

Even if the job wasn’t the best you really want our AD going around badmouthing it? Delusional.

Are you KO’s son or relative?
CUSA first approached us when West was AD.
He didn’t build a softball stadium. Stephen Koop got the funding for the stadium - he was a HUGE softball fan.
How do you know UT wasn’t coming? No one knows what would have transpired. We can only assume.

You obviously liked KO - for whatever reason. And that’s fine. But the truth is, he did less here than most AD’s considering what he had to work with and his overall experience.

Why don’t you ask Justice, Hoops and some other big donors how he treated them.

He took the job because he knew no other school would hire him that late in his career. Especially after his poor stint at UMass.

No, actually I was happy that Marcum retired. He was a good guy and loved Marshall. Those things I know for sure. That's the difference between us. I'm not a jerk who is still insulting a guy that loved Marshall 10 years after he's gone.

All of your comments are pure speculation. And how are you going to give the university president credit for the softball field but give Marcum the blame for everything else?

Simple fact of the matter is Marcum did some good things. I didn't agree with everything he did AND I was ready for some fresh vision when he retired BUT he does not deserve the beating that he takes from Marshall fans. The people that worked for him, loved him. The people that worked for the athletic department before him and during his tenure and even after him can tell you that he did quite a bit to move the department forward. It is amazing to me how some of you people can tear down men that loved the university like him and Mark Snyder. There is no good reason for it especially when most of the blame is misplaced. Why don't you blame Lance West? Why don't you blame Dan Angel? Bob Pruett?

Move on. It's been 10 years.

Last edited:
rifle is right...

Since you are "rifle" it is not surprising you agree with yourself.

1. Kayo came after we broke the rules and earned probation
False.

2. Your next two claims...I'm pretty sure you made those up yourself.

No, both are true.

3. He didn't lie to Bob Pruett and had full intentions on building an IPF. If you want to blame somebody for that falling through how about you look into the Interim President that was at Marshall at that time. That was all on him...not Marcum.

False. The LIAR, KO Marcum announced an IPF publicly. Then he LIED and said he never said such a thing. An outright LIE. LIED to me, LIED to BP. Good people have no use for LIARS, like the LIAR KO Marcum. He could of, at least, said something like he thought he could do it, but failed to raise the money. Which is what happened because he drove away the majority of the BG donors with is arroagance and dishonesty.
4. He built a softball stadium. I would count that as an accomplishment as softball has been one of our more successful programs along with Volleyball...and I'm pretty sure he hired Mitch Jacobs
All 28 fans of softball are very happy for that. 99.9% of college AD's job is FOOTBALL AND MEN'S BASKETBALL. End of discussion.
5. He did hire Snyder. Who would you have hired?
First, I would not have LIED to BP and he would have stayed. In the second case, I would have hired a competent coach. In the third case, when it became evident that Tan Man was not only incompetent but an insular person with no booster glad handing skills, I would have fired him. Probably year two.
6. Tennessee wasn't coming here. Get over it. He also scheduled games with Ohio State, Virginia Tech (including a home game), Georiga, Wisconsin and got WVU to play in Huntington.

Notice you left out Miami. They just played at Toledo, or was it Akron? Whichever. KO, the LIAR, let Tennessee out of its contract. UTK was coming. And for all his faults, which are legion, it was Photo Joe Manchin that got WVU into Huntington.

You now join the other rifle sock puppets in "ignore". Enjoy.

If MU had had a nominally competent AD in that era, we would have kept right on winning and growing. We would be where our then contenpories, like Boise State and UCF are today.

But we had KO Marcum. A LIAR, fool and total incompetent.

No, actually I was happy that Marcum retired. He was a good guy and loved Marshall. Those things I know for sure. That's the difference between us. I'm not a jerk who is still insulting a guy that loved Marshall 10 years after he's gone.

All of your comments are pure speculation. And how are you going to give the university president credit for the softball field but give Marcum the blame for everything else?

Simple fact of the matter is Marcum did some good things. I didn't agree with everything he did AND I was ready for some fresh vision when he retired BUT he does not deserve the beating that he takes from Marshall fans. The people that worked for him, loved him. The people that worked for the athletic department before him and during his tenure and even after him can tell you that he did quite a bit to move the department forward. It is amazing to me how some of you people can tear down men that loved the university like him and Mark Snyder. There is no good reason for it especially when most of the blame is misplaced. Why don't you blame Lance West? Why don't you blame Dan Angel? Bob Pruett?

Move on. It's been 10 years.

Why resort to name calling? Its' your opinion and my opinion. I didn't call you or KO names. Maybe you are the one that needs to step away from the keyboard a bit. A little maturity always helps in these discussions.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Since you are "rifle" it is not surprising you agree with yourself.
You now join the other rifle sock puppets in "ignore". Enjoy.

Wait: this fool also thinks I am MarshallManiac, somebody who has posted on here for more than a decade and tons of longtime posters know? This moron has four names on ignore who he thinks are me. Why do some of you actually give anything he says legitimacy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT