ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Facility

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
OK what will the excuse about money from the athletic department be now that we have $1.3 million dollars for the cancelled SC
Football game? This would be a great start to finally get the long talked about baseball facility. I guess I’m dreaming.

Reactions: DeHerd
OK what will the excuse about money from the athletic department be now that we have $1.3 million dollars for the cancelled SC
Football game? This would be a great start to finally get the long talked about baseball facility. I guess I’m dreaming.

Well, we actually don’t get the full $1.3 million. A percentage of that goes towards the estimated travel and lodging of the team.

Besides, I’d imagine that money was figured into this (or next) year’s athletic budget so it’s not like we have an extra mil’ laying around.

Well, we actually don’t get the full $1.3 million. A percentage of that goes towards the estimated travel and lodging of the team.

Besides, I’d imagine that money was figured into this (or next) year’s athletic budget so it’s not like we have an extra mil’ laying around.
Yes I agree....but what if we pick up an extra game, that would be money in the bank!!

Yes I agree....but what if we pick up an extra game, that would be money in the bank!!

It would, but unless we’re traveling to Lincoln on the 27th or hosting a big name opponent, I don’t see the “13th” game as a real big money maker.

Reactions: mlbull
Plans for baseball facility remain where they have been for quite a while, on the desks of Mike Hamrick and Mayor Williams . . . . . . . . GATHERING DUST!!

Plans for baseball facility remain where they have been for quite a while, on the desks of Mike Hamrick and Mayor Williams . . . . . . . . GATHERING DUST!!

Not true at all, there are soil tests being done on land right now; don't know how it is going to come out but apparently soil samples have been submitted on land close to campus; maybe for the second time now. So plans aren't just sitting around; not sure of the outcome but to imply folks aren't working on a baseball stadium is incorrect.

Thank you whf2 as I stated those who doubt ask President Gilbert who is making a baseball facility a priority for Marshall athletics.

I figure for $1.3 million we could have a pretty unique stadium.

Out there in left field? That's Doug. He's gone half wild since his eyes got cloudy, but he won't bite you if you just give him space. The chain's only so long, you see...

....Ol' Ground Rule Doug...heh...

Last edited:
Soil tests are a very, very preliminary step, IMO. I doubt that currently MU OWNS any land close to campus that would be sufficient to accommodate a baseball facility.

If soil tests are favorable, then what? Devise a plan to finance the purchase of said land? Remember, MU couldn't even come up with the $$$ to buy the near campus old Stationers location, now a CVS, nor the old Glaser Furniture store. Both of which would have been key in expanding overall campus parking AND essential in any expansion/renovation of the HC, including a possible Basketball practice facility!!

So, even if MU and/or Huntington identify land and a means to finance purchase of same, how long till that occurs? 18 months? 2 years? 3? Then comes design of said stadium. Another year or two? How about financing of the facility itself? Has city taken ANY steps to implement TIF (tax-increment financing districts) to fund the project, like many other cities in WV already have, like Charleston (to expand and renovate their Civic Arena)? Other than, maybe, mentioning such a means of financing. Again, any timetable for this phase? A year? Two?

Right now, if Vegas were to set the odds on whether MU would have a baseball facility in 5 years, smart money would be on the "NO"!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Oleherdfan, i keep thinking of Sergeant Schultz when i read your comments about the baseball statement, "i know nothing" .This project is far from idle.

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
No it wouldn't. Any guarantee we get from a makeup game comes OUT of the insurance money
Why would we even consider a game on the 27th? That was slotted as a "bye' week. We'll have played 4 conference games by then. Then the bye, then 4 more conference games. No sense getting beat up playing a P5 when we could be resting for the conference finish.

Soil tests are a very, very preliminary step, IMO. I doubt that currently MU OWNS any land close to campus that would be sufficient to accommodate a baseball facility.

If soil tests are favorable, then what? Devise a plan to finance the purchase of said land? Remember, MU couldn't even come up with the $$$ to buy the near campus old Stationers location, now a CVS, nor the old Glaser Furniture store. Both of which would have been key in expanding overall campus parking AND essential in any expansion/renovation of the HC, including a possible Basketball practice facility!!

So, even if MU and/or Huntington identify land and a means to finance purchase of same, how long till that occurs? 18 months? 2 years? 3? Then comes design of said stadium. Another year or two? How about financing of the facility itself? Has city taken ANY steps to implement TIF (tax-increment financing districts) to fund the project, like many other cities in WV already have, like Charleston (to expand and renovate their Civic Arena)? Other than, maybe, mentioning such a means of financing. Again, any timetable for this phase? A year? Two?

Right now, if Vegas were to set the odds on whether MU would have a baseball facility in 5 years, smart money would be on the "NO"!!
Im also hearing rumblings of good news on this subject

Reactions: Herdmeister
Why would we even consider a game on the 27th? That was slotted as a "bye' week. We'll have played 4 conference games by then. Then the bye, then 4 more conference games. No sense getting beat up playing a P5 when we could be resting for the conference finish.
I totally agree

Why not strive to find a game of interest with like in kind competition? The kids / young men practice all year for the season. Each time they lose a game they lose a chance to "play" what they've trained, practiced, and waited for --- a game.

As to the football side of this thread, MU will play 11 games (plus hopefully a bowl) this year. That is certain.

As to the rare "why don't we have a baseball field" thread during football season, as we usually have 2 or 3 during baseball season and another over the summer, after all the years of talk I am totally convinced that Marshall will never build a baseball field, short of a donor specifically giving a restricted gift to the school for that purpose, and further totally convinced that should a donor propose such a thing s/he would be asked by the president and AD to give the money for other MU purposes. As such we will continue to play games wherever and whenever and as such will continue to be a backmarker in the conference. We have no interest in baseball and should admit that, drop it, and pick up another men's sport (NCAA rules) for which existing facilities can be used, such a wrestling.

I wish I did not feel that way, but I do. After reading the actual CUSA standards for a field, which could be accomplished simply with little money, I understand that we have no interest in doing so, so rather grandiose pipe dream plans for parks well above that level are just a smoke screen for doing nothing.

As to the football side of this thread, MU will play 11 games (plus hopefully a bowl) this year. That is certain.

As to the rare "why don't we have a baseball field" thread during football season, as we usually have 2 or 3 during baseball season and another over the summer, after all the years of talk I am totally convinced that Marshall will never build a baseball field, short of a donor specifically giving a restricted gift to the school for that purpose, and further totally convinced that should a donor propose such a thing s/he would be asked by the president and AD to give the money for other MU purposes. As such we will continue to play games wherever and whenever and as such will continue to be a backmarker in the conference. We have no interest in baseball and should admit that, drop it, and pick up another men's sport (NCAA rules) for which existing facilities can be used, such a wrestling.

I wish I did not feel that way, but I do. After reading the actual CUSA standards for a field, which could be accomplished simply with little money, I understand that we have no interest in doing so, so rather grandiose pipe dream plans for parks well above that level are just a smoke screen for doing nothing.
I believe that the fundraising will start soon for the basketball improvements and baseball stadium. It appears they have found the land and hope to work with the city to build a stadium

Marshall University Baseball Stadium/Gullickson Hall
Architectural Firms bids Copleted September 6th!!!!!
October 2018, the announcement of the winning Architectural Firm.
July 2019, Design Approval
August 2019, Taking bids for construction
September 2019, Construction Starts!!
Completion February 2021!!!!

Herd Fans We Are Getting A
NEW BASEBALL STADIUM!!!!

Where are you GreenDuke?

Right here. You really never understood my text or you wouldn’t be sending this text.
I did not comment on the viability of a field being built, my comment was about you thinking they could just apply 1.3 mil from the athletic dept/football budget and start moving dirt for baseball.

Oleherdfan, i keep thinking of Sergeant Schultz when i read your comments about the baseball statement, "i know nothing" .This project is far from idle.

whf, have you been under a rock or on a deserted island for the last 30 years or so? Cause Marshall, athletic directors, presidents, etc., and countless Huntington mayors, city councils, etc., have been talking, planning, a baseball facility going back to the days of Jack Cook.

Ask former Herd baseball coach Howie McCann who was told by the school's AD that there would be a new baseball facility in about "three years or so". Well, McCann has been gone for 15 or 20 years, so I guess it's still "or so".

Great if there is FINALLY something concrete going to happen vis-a-vis a baseball facility for Huntington and MU. 40 plus years in the works helps explain why a former long time Charleston sports writer called Huntington the "We will" city!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
GK4Herd, guess you are talking about 2019 cause September 2018 is 2/3 over! If there was a pending groundbreaking this month then I'm sure we would have heard a lot about it already from (a) Chuckie's column, (b) Hammy's office, and (c) Hizzoner's office.

Although delays are always possible to hit the September start in construction, I think you're wrong on this one. This is way past the "just talk" stage. This is going to happen.
YES, THIS GETTING REALLY EXCITING!!
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!
THERE GOING TO REVAMP GULLICKSON HALL FOR THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM TOO!!!

GO HERD!!!!!

Although delays are always possible to hit the September start in construction, I think you're wrong on this one. This is way past the "just talk" stage. This is going to happen.

Would LOVE to be wrong. Forty years of not getting the job done says otherwise. A field meeting all of the CUSA standards (which despite claims to the contrary are miniscule) and seating the number of people that would actually show up for baseball, could be completed on any vacant lot in the county, or at the current YMCA, in a couple of months out of petty cash on hand.

Rather the school has, for decades, used the smoke screen of this grandiose minor league level ball park as an excuse to do nothing. We do not have the money, and MH has tapped out every source in fundraising for the IPF. The town certainly does not have any money. The state? Tapped out too. JJ personally? Some other sugar daddy?

As to basketball, I get arena based teams needing a practice facility. But our court is there all the time and always at our disposal. Isn't practicing on your actual game facility an advantage?

GK4Herd, guess you are talking about 2019 cause September 2018 is 2/3 over! If there was a pending groundbreaking this month then I'm sure we would have heard a lot about it already from (a) Chuckie's column, (b) Hammy's office, and (c) Hizzoner's office.

Of course I’m talking about 2019.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Would LOVE to be wrong. Forty years of not getting the job done says otherwise. A field meeting all of the CUSA standards (which despite claims to the contrary are miniscule) and seating the number of people that would actually show up for baseball, could be completed on any vacant lot in the county, or at the current YMCA, in a couple of months out of petty cash on hand.

Rather the school has, for decades, used the smoke screen of this grandiose minor league level ball park as an excuse to do nothing. We do not have the money, and MH has tapped out every source in fundraising for the IPF. The town certainly does not have any money. The state? Tapped out too. JJ personally? Some other sugar daddy?

As to basketball, I get arena based teams needing a practice facility. But our court is there all the time and always at our disposal. Isn't practicing on your actual game facility an advantage?
It will happen.
As for basketball. We have 2 baskets to shoot at in the Cam. For practice we should have about 6. That is what a practice facility is for. We have teams practicing at 6AM because volleyball, men's and women's basketball are all using the same facility.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Since money is always an issue why don't they complete this project in stages? I mean first phase is to buy some property.Land is a scarce resource. Once it is gone and developed we are screwed. Can you imagine if they had done that 25 years ago when land was cheaper. Then in Phase 2 start a campaign to actually build a stadium that is up to C-USA standards. It may take a few years to accomplish this, but it is a better option, IMO, that setting around talking about it and never doing it. Finally, it is absolutely inexcusable that Marshall University, one of 2 state universities in WV doesn't have a stadium either on campus or in close proximity.

So, who saw the tweet from Mayor Williams today? Sounds like multi-purpose development including hotel, retail & a baseball stadium in the not too distant future! Between 5th Ave and the river....

“We expect somewhere between 5th Avenue and the river that we will have a baseball stadium built. I expect it will have a hotel built. I expect to see commercial and retail built," - @HuntingtonMayor ⚾️⚾️⚾️

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck1069

Sam - I don’t believe you can prove your statement about well-heeled alumni being out of $ available to lend their naming rights to. Private schools come up with large donations. It’s not impossible. It just takes a lot of moxie, connections and “momentum”. Meaning, once you get a specific project identified, you aggressively seek out those that want to see their name in lights, or in this case stainless steel on the side of a brick wall. It seems that may be what is starting to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT