ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Stadium Update

"We are increasing prices of certain items and things to assist in better maintaining our amazing facilities at MU."
-MH

"OMG!!! I DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE!!! MH AND THE AD ARE STUPID!!! LOWER TICKET PRICES!!! FIRE DOC! FIRE EVERYBODY!!! PRUETT WOULDN'T DO THIS TO US!!! OH NO!!! WE'RE DOOMED!!!"
-Message boards

If MH actually increased things at athletic events to directly cover the costs of maitenance, would you bitch about it or not? Yes or no.

That depends... Is the money being raised going to be seen via tangible projects and maintenance? Or is it going to go into the "athletic budget" to be moved around and plundered, thus never seen again while maintenance continues to suffer for another two decades?

If my football and basketball ticket prices went up by $2-$3 per game the next 3 years and at the end of that time we had X amount, in a separate fund, to do some major maintenance projects I would not only be fine with that, I would absolutely advocate for it.

But under your hypothetical, tickets prices would go up $2-$3 and the athletic dept would move that money around, spend it other places, throw a coat of paint on the terrible restrooms we already have (if we are lucky) and call it good.

Reactions: Herdmeister
That depends... Is the money being raised going to be seen via tangible projects and maintenance? Or is it going to go into the "athletic budget" to be moved around and plundered, thus never seen again while maintenance continues to suffer for another two decades?

If my football and basketball ticket prices went up by $2-$3 per game the next 3 years and at the end of that time we had X amount, in a separate fund, to do some major maintenance projects I would not only be fine with that, I would absolutely advocate for it.

But under your hypothetical, tickets prices would go up $2-$3 and the athletic dept would move that money around, spend it other places, throw a coat of paint on the terrible restrooms we already have (if we are lucky) and call it good.
Our athletic department is way too secretive of what is going on and where our money goes. Many of us on here give hundreds and some thousands of dollars only to be in the dark

never give money to help family when told it's none of your business what they plan to do with it...
I understand but when I give to the Tip Off Club to help with basketball expenses such as flights, I would like to know that the money is being used for extras regarding the basketball program. Not administrators who should be paid from the general budget or to another sport

It caters to the farcical belief that MU, while being one of the smallest D1 public schools with a small Big Green membership amount, but also somehow supposed to have money to maintain and upkeep its facilities like their peers.
Money does have to be moved around unless it is specifically donated for a reason. Given whats happened in the world, I won't hold it against Hamrick if money does need to be re-adjusted.

Our athletic department is way too secretive of what is going on and where our money goes. Many of us on here give hundreds and some thousands of dollars only to be in the dark

Maybe because everything MU does is constantly met with complaining? Literally anything done has been questioned constantly.
Also, while its nobody's business how much is donated, unless you're a very high dollar donor, its difficult to ever know where it goes. Simply put, unless you donate enough to be in the AD's speed dial list, you aren't noticed.
Sucks but thats the way it is with plenty of things involving fundraising and money.

It caters to the farcical belief that MU, while being one of the smallest D1 public schools with a small Big Green membership amount, but also somehow supposed to have money to maintain and upkeep its facilities like their peers.
Money does have to be moved around unless it is specifically donated for a reason. Given whats happened in the world, I won't hold it against Hamrick if money does need to be re-adjusted.

Do you own a house? If not, then you have no idea the constant need to keep it in good repair and updated. Same with facilities. Kids and parents buy with their eyes, fans buy with their eyes - the sites, the sounds, the look of a facility and how the team plays - that makes them come back.

It's my understanding they had money set aside (six-figures money) prior to the 2019 season to update the common bathrooms at the Joan, but a structural issue manifested in the endzone that cannibalized the budget for it.

I've always wondered why schools operating on a shoestring don't have physical services volunteer groups who could help out with things like this. Even if they didn't completely gut and replace the common bathrooms, a coat of paint and just some basic cleaning would make a world of difference.

Hell, hand me a pair of nitrile gloves and a 5-gallon bucket of Tarn-X, and I'll save you all from the annual rorshach test of staring down into those troughs. I swear to god I've been pissing on the same rust stain shaped like a dragon smoking a cigar while riding a unicycle since 2008.

The farcical idea is that Marshall isn't capable to creating a maintenance fund and dedicating $1 or $2, or hell even $5, from a ticket sales increase to fund it for a set time period... Organizations, both for-profit and non-profit, all over the world have been operating this way for years, many of which have a much smaller budget than MU nor have the ability to make a simple swish of a pen and raise ticket prices by any amount they so choose.

The fact that state governments, and yes also state universities, are so poorly financially managed they can't figure out a way to repair/replace public restrooms in their biggest and most prominent venue every 30 or so years is embarrassing.

The farcical idea is that Marshall isn't capable to creating a maintenance fund and dedicating $1 or $2, or hell even $5, from a ticket sales increase to fund it for a set time period... Organizations, both for-profit and non-profit, all over the world have been operating this way for years, many of which have a much smaller budget than MU nor have the ability to make a simple swish of a pen and raise ticket prices by any amount they so choose.

The fact that state governments, and yes also state universities, are so poorly financially managed they can't figure out a way to repair/replace public restrooms in their biggest and most prominent venue every 30 or so years is embarrassing.
Truth.

Do you own a house? If not, then you have no idea the constant need to keep it in good repair and updated. Same with facilities. Kids and parents buy with their eyes, fans buy with their eyes - the sites, the sounds, the look of a facility and how the team plays - that makes them come back.

I do own a house. I am aware of what is required to upkeep it. But it isn't constant. Then again, I don't have tens of thousands of people using my house either. Goodness, if you're comparing your house upkeep to a D-1 facility, you may need to find a new house.
Bwahaha you can't have all of those. Team wins. People complain about the bathrooms.
Team loses, people forget about the bathrooms and complain about the team.
Let me know when sports writers rank venues next and bathrooms are a major factor in the ranking.

Oh, they are capable. People will just complain about it. Set time period? Thats ongoing. That'll tick off the fanbase further, especially if MU doesn't win every game they play.
Not sure why we went international, D-1 facilities are difficult as hell to maintain for anyone. Unless you have the deep pockets, you don't maintain facilities, you just build a new one.
I will agree the states and universities are terrible at maintaining money, but for the big ones, its easy to be so, when you have a blank check every month.

You fail to realize, people aren't going to want to knowingly pay money for ongoing maitenance for bathrooms and such, if they feel it isn't going to directly benefit them. People would leave the stadium to go back and eat/drink if it meant saving a buck.
Fans are going to bitch about paying $3.00 so the softball team or swim team, have maintained facilities. Sure, fans of said teams are on board, but thats a small number and plenty would ask, "Why?" Then say where it should go.

Hell, if cleanliness isn't an issue for customers/fans, why the hell do retail stores or eateries go to such lengths to keep their places of business clean? Same with the Joan, Cam or any other facility.
I do own a house. I am aware of what is required to upkeep it. But it isn't constant. Then again, I don't have tens of thousands of people using my house either. Goodness, if you're comparing your house upkeep to a D-1 facility, you may need to find a new house.
Bwahaha you can't have all of those. Team wins. People complain about the bathrooms.
Team loses, people forget about the bathrooms and complain about the team.
Let me know when sports writers rank venues next and bathrooms are a major factor in the ranking.

I’ll give you this my friend, you are loyal to the MU AD to a fault.

Doesn't the total price of MU football and basketball tickets already include some kind of facility "fees"? Don't know if such would go for retirement of construction bonds to build the CAM and the JOAN. But I'm pretty sure the original bonds for building the CAM are paid off, since the building is nearing 40 years in age, Same probably applies to the JOAN, nearing 30 years old.

And their noses, too!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just drove past the site and nothing but the weeds getting higher. Other than the symbolic ground breaking nothing visible has happened. It the soccer complex has new turf!

I’d say the ground work - contaminated soil will take time and be a slow process.
I think MH is now hoping for March of 2022 or 2023 for the opening.

Just drove past the site and nothing but the weeds getting higher. Other than the symbolic ground breaking nothing visible has happened. It the soccer complex has new turf!
they did demolish some buildings there and started digging to find all the contamination

Hell, if cleanliness isn't an issue for customers/fans, why the hell do retail stores or eateries go to such lengths to keep their places of business clean? Same with the Joan, Cam or any other facility.

I’ll give you this my friend, you are loyal to the MU AD to a fault.

Because places like an eatery have whats called a health code to maintain by the health department. I am not sure if MU has one because its a damn outdoor stadium and thus, isn't held to the standards as a compacted place like an eatery.

I wouldn't say I'm loyal to a fault to the MU AD...but I don't post on a message board pretending I know better than he does...and simply sitting there complaining all the time.
You could directly call or hand write a letter (e-mails aren't always read or just auto-responded to, letters have to be physically opened so they'll at least HAVE to read it) to Mike and ask why there hasn't been anything done.
If you don't like that, then go around this board and start taking money, make it public, make some noise, even gofundme if you want...with exactly how you feel about it.
You probably aren't the only one.
Once the money is raised, stick it to the AD and brag about you doing something he should have done already. You can even put a nice plaque engraved with your name and how hard you worked to make the one area of the stadium least featured in any media, look so nice.

You can then either set up a fund for it so it continues or sit there and complain once more when it goes bad.
Your choice.

Because places like an eatery have whats called a health code to maintain by the health department. I am not sure if MU has one because its a damn outdoor stadium and thus, isn't held to the standards as a compacted place like an eatery.

I wouldn't say I'm loyal to a fault to the MU AD...but I don't post on a message board pretending I know better than he does...and simply sitting there complaining all the time.
You could directly call or hand write a letter (e-mails aren't always read or just auto-responded to, letters have to be physically opened so they'll at least HAVE to read it) to Mike and ask why there hasn't been anything done.
If you don't like that, then go around this board and start taking money, make it public, make some noise, even gofundme if you want...with exactly how you feel about it.
You probably aren't the only one.
Once the money is raised, stick it to the AD and brag about you doing something he should have done already. You can even put a nice plaque engraved with your name and how hard you worked to make the one area of the stadium least featured in any media, look so nice.

You can then either set up a fund for it so it continues or sit there and complain once more when it goes bad.
Your choice.

Jesus, overreact much? Hell, I am not the one the brought the subject up, but OK. I give enough to the BG and have since 1989. Plus the Vision and Herd Rises campaigns. Plus the MU Foundation. It’s not my freaking job to oversee these issues, nor anyone else on this board. Hamrick makes 330K to run an AD with a 29 Mil or so budget: Whether you take a shit in restrooms or even darken the doors, it’s about presenting a first class facility and experience for all fans.
Maybe you should create the Mike Hamrick fan club since you are so obviously enamored with him.

Last edited:
Jesus, overreact much? Hell, I am not the one the brought the subject up, but OK. I give enough to the BG and have since 1989. Plus the Vision and Herd Rises campaigns. Plus the MU Foundation. It’s not my freaking job to oversee these issues, nor anyone else on this board. Hamrick makes 330K to run an AD with a 29 Mil or so budget: Whether you take a shit in restrooms or even darken the doors, it’s about presenting a first class facility and experience for all fans.
Maybe you should create the Mike Hamrick fan club since you are so obviously enamored with him.

First off, my name isn't Jesus. God did kinda flood his Earth after being mad so talk to him about overreaction.
You may not have brought the subject up, but you seem quite vocal about it.
I just laid out an entire approach you could apply to make the changes you (and apparently many others) want to see.

But I guess its not important enough for you to actually do something, but sit and complain about it.
If you admit that, it'll save time for all of us.

First off, my name isn't Jesus. God did kinda flood his Earth after being mad so talk to him about overreaction.
You may not have brought the subject up, but you seem quite vocal about it.
I just laid out an entire approach you could apply to make the changes you (and apparently many others) want to see.

But I guess its not important enough for you to actually do something, but sit and complain about it.
If you admit that, it'll save time for all of us.

It's sadly evident you aren't mature enough to accept differing opinions, maybe a message board isn't for you. Rather than go on a childish diatribe, do us all a favor; if you don't agree with something, move on and don't comment. That's what most of us do. It'll be better for your BP.

Lets just ignore issues and pretend everything at MU is fluffy bunnies and rainbows. Sounds like an MU AD staffer to me.

It's sadly evident you aren't mature enough to accept differing opinions, maybe a message board isn't for you. Rather than go on a childish diatribe, do us all a favor; if you don't agree with something, move on and don't comment. That's what most of us do. It'll be better for your BP.

Lets just ignore issues and pretend everything at MU is fluffy bunnies and rainbows. Sounds like an MU AD staffer to me.

Move on and don't comment? So, basically there shouldn't be a message board, since plenty seem to want to comment on everything wrong with MU, from the crappers at the Joan to the goalposts not being painted enough.

Thats funny you mention childish actions and maturity, because when someone disagrees with you about the AD, rather than being an adult and accepting someone has a different opinion, you just presume they're an AD staffer.

The crappers at the Joan are not as big of an issue as MU facing potential week long shutdowns of campus from COVID-19, like Boise State just did.

Move on and don't comment? So, basically there shouldn't be a message board, since plenty seem to want to comment on everything wrong with MU, from the crappers at the Joan to the goalposts not being painted enough.

Thats funny you mention childish actions and maturity, because when someone disagrees with you about the AD, rather than being an adult and accepting someone has a different opinion, you just presume they're an AD staffer.

The crappers at the Joan are not as big of an issue as MU facing potential week long shutdowns of campus from COVID-19, like Boise State just did.

First of all, I never replied to you on any front in this thread until you quoted my post with a tirade. You've replied to 3-4 posters on this thread in a defensive manner - trying to convince them you are judge and jury correct. Maybe you need to look in the mirror. Feel free to comment but comment in an adult way and not with childish personal insults. No one is out to bash the other due to a difference of opinion. You seem to have lost track of that fact. There are issues we agree on and others we don't. But I don't go on a three paragraph rampage about it. I am not gonna change your opinion on issues and you're not gonna change mine. Accept it and move on.

Yeah, there are bigger issues, agreed.

Last edited:
First of all, I never replied to you on any front in this thread until you quoted my post with a tirade. You've replied to 3-4 posters on this thread in a defensive manner - trying to convince them you are judge and jury correct. Maybe you need to look in the mirror. Feel free to comment but comment in an adult way and not with childish personal insults. No one is out to bash the other due to a difference of opinion. You seem to have lost track of that fact. There are issues we agree on and others we don't. But I don't go on a three paragraph rampage about it. I am not gonna change your opinion on issues and you're not gonna change mine. Accept it and move on.

Yeah, there are bigger issues, agreed.

Alright. If giving you an adult solution to your problem is childish then I can't help you.
If describing what you're actually complaining about and putting into perspective as being something that comes off as degrading or personally insulting, then you may want to reconsider what it is you're complaining about to begin with.

There are bigger problems at MU than stadium bathrooms...I am glad you finally have seen this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT