ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Lost Another

Dec 12, 2023
Well ole Dan finished up 4-7 against D1 teams in the pre conference schedule. He lost last night to a team that upset UK and also lost a home game to Appy 86-56. UNCW did beat GA Southern who is 0-11 on the road so we should win some games in the SBC. The SBC is horrible in basketball this year.
Dan got his wish to play in a tournament in a neutral place this year. He also got the plane charters and his practice facility he said was hindering the program. I wonder what his next excuse will be for not winning?

I get your point!
I do think we’ll win a bunch of conference games. We’d be lost w/o Voyles, Martin & Crawford. Must shoot better from 3….

The one UNCW player killed us last night. Dan should have gone with a box and one defense. That is coaching 101 but Dan lives and dies with his "system".

Reactions: mufan08
The one UNCW player killed us last night. Dan should have gone with a box and one defense. That is coaching 101 but Dan lives and dies with his "system".
My thought:
White wasn’t the only one! That guard of theirs could hit a mid range jumper 9 times outta 10. And their entire team speed was faster than us. So, I think you have to pick your poison in those situations.
UNCW would be a top 2 in the Sunbelt.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
5-8 overall with one of those wins being NAIA Bluefield College... Awful.

"Thankfully" we play in the 20th best league (out of 32) in the country. We will probably finish around .500 in league play, maybe even a little better, and wrap up the year somewhere around 14-15 wins.

Dan will talk about what a difficult non-conference schedule we had, how the team took too long to gel, how next year we will be better -- the same song and dance we've heard the last two years.

Hopefully Spears grows a pair between now and April, hands Dan a gold watch, and wishes him well back at his beach house.

The Sunbelt from top to bottom is weak. Dan constantly tells us after every OOC loss that the team we just lost to could win the Sunbelt. At some point, those of us that contribute to the program would like us to hear that we have a team that could win the Sunbelt.

There is a problem when teams we play "could win the Sunbelt" but the head man in charge can't say "we should win the Sunbelt".

The box-and-one defense would be made to take away their top player......to take him out of his flow which he certainly had against our constant switching defense. The two up defenders in the box-and-one would take away the mid-range jumper because those two up men play the gaps of the defense and force the offense outside.

And we actually finished 4-8 against OOC D1 competition. The NET and the RPI don't count wins over NAIA programs.

I also think there is a problem when the head coach calls out a player after the game for erratic play and not playing within the system. My problem is who allows him to be on the floor for the majority of minutes and shoot 22% for the game. Does he not have control of this situation as the head coach?

The excuses are piling up with the losses. It is getting old. UNC-Wilmington got smoked by App State and beat an 0-11 Georgia Southern team by 5 points. This team was beatable. But there 1-13 scholarship players were better than our 1-13 scholarship players. Their coach in post game said "he was glad for any road win especially when we had a C to C+ performance".

Well ole Dan finished up 4-7 against D1 teams in the pre conference schedule. He lost last night to a team that upset UK and also lost a home game to Appy 86-56. UNCW did beat GA Southern who is 0-11 on the road so we should win some games in the SBC. The SBC is horrible in basketball this year.
Dan got his wish to play in a tournament in a neutral place this year. He also got the plane charters and his practice facility he said was hindering the program. I wonder what his next excuse will be for not winning?
They didnt lose a true home game to app state. That game was played in Fort Myers at the Fort Myers Tip Off

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I honestly don’t even think Dan tries or cares. It is impossible to recruit this poorly and prepare this indifferently if you really want to win. This is a hobby for him, not a job. He doesn’t want to coach anywhere else and has no drive to succeed. That’s a horrible example for a head coach to give.

Just not enough talent to compete. Our guards cannot stay with their man on defense and aren’t shooting well. We don’t have a point guard. If Obinna and Martin aren’t on the floor it’s really bad.

My guess is that Dan retires after this year. He seems pretty fed up with the whole thing in his media comments.

How long until soccer season?

But, but, but, once, from fourth place, he had an eight day hot streak, it might happen again someday.

This is a token effort. But DD is going nowhere. He will coach here as long as he is physically able to do so. Keeping him was the price CS paid for getting this job. We will never know how many people turned the job down rather than abdicate control of the #2 sport to the coach.

But, but, but, once, from fourth place, he had an eight day hot streak, it might happen again someday.

This is a token effort. But DD is going nowhere. He will coach here as long as he is physically able to do so. Keeping him was the price CS paid for getting this job. We will never know how many people turned the job down rather than abdicate control of the #2 sport to the coach.
Sam - please. At least stop copying & pasting the same comment ad nauseum….lazy!

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
The only lazy person in this conversation is DD. He could not be spending 40 minutes out of the whole year at recruiting. Just random people no one else wants.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
One need only look at our roster and it is evident that Dan is a lazy recruiter....we just don't have enough players! A roster of "just another guy" types!
This times 1000...

We have a bunch of guys that should be playing DII ball at Fairmont, Glenville, etc. With the exception of Kinsey, that's what we've had the past three years... OAK and Martin should be role players on a good team. The rest should be battling for a league title at Concord.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Mens B'ball has been on cruise control for many, many years. I don't think there has been serious consideration to make us a really good program in decades. The older fans, donors, etc. like Dan and love to reminisce about the good ole days. I appreciate his loyalty, love for the school and the wonderful run we had in 2018. That said, I don't see Marshall showing any sense of urgency to change the program for the better and possibly taking away funds from football to do it. Football is and always will be king, even though our program has become quite average with just one league crown in 2 decades.

It seems like Dan gets picked on for every little thing that goes wrong. The transfer portal killed our chances of having a very good season this year and I'm sure someone will find a way to blame Dan for that. I think Dan should leave when he is ready to go. He shouldn't be pushed out. The current team has had to learn on the fly and has had to find new leaders. That takes time. The transfer portal and NIL will continue to have a big effect on G-5 teams, so do like me and learn to live with it and support the coach and team. Go Herd!

It seems like Dan gets picked on for every little thing that goes wrong. The transfer portal killed our chances of having a very good season this year and I'm sure someone will find a way to blame Dan for that. I think Dan should leave when he is ready to go. He shouldn't be pushed out. The current team has had to learn on the fly and has had to find new leaders. That takes time. The transfer portal and NIL will continue to have a big effect on G-5 teams, so do like me and learn to live with it and support the coach and team. Go Herd!
I want to live in whatever world of delusion you call home...

The transfer portal killed this team?... Im assuming you mean because we lost Handlogten?... If you think he would have magically made us a "good" team, you are off your meds.

And if you think Dan should be allowed to stay forever, you are inherently okay with being a .500 basketball program in a shitty league. So go cheer your heart out... For the rest of us, who think winning is important, it's beyond time to make a change at head coach.

"Learning to live with" sucking, and watching losing teams, is going to kill MU athletics.

"Learning to live with" sucking, and watching losing teams, is going to kill MU athletics.
RhinoD, respectfully:
Instead of 2023, make it a quote from 1953. Folks been saying that since our fathers were young men! The only outlier oh these many decades is the building of the baseball field, and it took a well connected politician to pump enough instant green into it for it to be now nearing completion.

The fact of the matter is that we born in time to witness the football era 1988-2003 were forever impressed upon our psyche that we should be great, always great, setting ourselves up for continual disappointment.
Basketball? Sam has covered it ad nauseam, so suffice to say there was a brief period (1966-73) of success, followed by Huck, followed by a succession of poor hires, near misses and then the lucky 8 day run in ‘18. So really, if you have been a fan for any length of time, you are used to the shortcomings and failures in athletics at MU.
You still follow, though, because of that intrinsic feeling you get when things go right.
You’re emotionally tied to the school, and you’re never going to take all your Herd gear out in the backyard and douse it with kerosene. 🔥
So here we are…..Marshall!!

Last edited:
Reactions: marshallsig
RhinoD, respectfully:
Instead of 2023, make it a quote from 1953. Folks been saying that since our fathers were young men! The only outlier oh these many decades is the building of the baseball field, and it took a well connected politician to pump enough instant green into it for it to be now nearing completion.

The fact of the matter is that we born in time to witness the football era 1988-2003 were forever impressed upon our psyche that we should be great, always great, setting ourselves up for continual disappointment.
Basketball? Sam has covered it ad nauseam, so suffice to say there was a brief period (1966-73) of success, followed by Huck, followed by a succession of poor hires, near misses and then the lucky 8 day run in ‘18. So really, if you have been a fan for any length of time, you are used to the shortcomings and failures in athletics at MU.
You still follow, though, because of that intrinsic feeling you get when things go right.
You’re emotionally tied to the school, and you’re never going to take all your Herd gear out in the backyard and douse it with kerosene. 🔥
So here we are…..Marshall!!
I fully understand that MU isn't going to be good at everything every year, sports, as are most things in life, is cyclical. I can, and have, accepted down years in football and basketball. Hell, when I was at MU as a student Mark Snyder was football coach and Ron Jirsa was in charge of basketball.

What is not acceptable, is not putting our programs in position to be successful for years at a time. That begins with getting rid of unsuccessful coaches and putting coaches in place who can/will do what it takes to win - or be shipped out accordingly.

We have a top 15 program in soccer right now... You know why?... We got rid of a coach that wasn't performing and replaced him with a home run hire. A guy that built a program that has ushered in an era of unprecedented and sustained success.

Accept being terrible if it suits you... I will ride in the camp that believes we can do better (in both football and mens basketball) and we should strive to do so.

Reactions: The Real SamC
RhinoD, respectfully:
Instead of 2023, make it a quote from 1953.

The only outlier oh these many decades is the building of the baseball field, and it took a well connected politician to pump enough instant green into it for it to be now nearing completion.
Baseball field?

Since 1953?

The Field house was brand new and state of the art in 53.

So,

Field House.

Repairs to Fairfield (69-72) which kept football from being dropped more than some never really happened confrontation with a didn't really exist at the time Board of Governors.

Henderson Center.

Henderson Center repairs and renovations.

JC Edwards Stadium.

Upgrades and expansions to same.

Soccer field, state of the art and FIFA certified.

IPF and the Cline facility.

Softball field.

Refashioning of Gullickson into practice facility.

So in brick and mortar terms, the baseball field? Really?

Leaving out that in 1953, MU wasn't even in what became D1. MU moved up a class, went to the tournament in 56, moved up in football, and then rebuilt the team from literal ashes, and then rose to dominate I-AA and then moved up to be one of only 134 I-A teams. Plus soccer.

But, nah, the building of a baseball field is the only thing we have accomplished since 1953.

The rest of your post is just " I accept mediocrity "

I want to live in whatever world of delusion you call home...

The transfer portal killed this team?... Im assuming you mean because we lost Handlogten?... If you think he would have magically made us a "good" team, you are off your meds.

And if you think Dan should be allowed to stay forever, you are inherently okay with being a .500 basketball program in a shitty league. So go cheer your heart out... For the rest of us, who think winning is important, it's beyond time to make a change at head coach.

Yes, losing Andy and Mika, hurt our team greatly. With them it is highly probable that we stand 13-1 going into conference play. And we cannot compete for high level players in the transfer portal with the NIL we have available.

Sorry, if I made you mad. But I have a feeling you stay that way. I would question who is delusional. Have a nice day.

We should have parted ways with Dan two years ago when his deal ran out. He has not done enough to earn the right to leave when he wants to.

Let's not sit here and act like recruiting was awesome pre-portal and we are taking the conference by storm.

Yes, losing Andy and Mika, hurt our team greatly. With them it is highly probable that we stand 13-1 going into conference play. And we cannot compete for high level players in the transfer portal with the NIL we have available.

Sorry, if I made you mad. But I have a feeling you stay that way. I would question who is delusional. Have a nice day.
1. Not every player in the portal commands big money. Most never even find new teams.

2. This team would look no different with Taylor or Mika here. It would look the same as last season and the year before that and the year before that. With the exception of one single season in 10 years, Dan's teams do that same thing. Have a so-so OoC record with no marquee wins, start conference play out reasonably well, then at the end of the season we face plant.

Dan does not put in the effort necessary to win. He knows he's a made man with how he's stacked the deck and he'll continue to just stand on the sidelines, with his arms crossed, and a blank stare on his face as he collects his paychecks.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I just watched Dan's press conference for the LA game. I guess his age is catching up with him, he has no enthusiasm. I know Dan is not the sharpest person, but I wish someone would tell him not put his hands on his face and nose when he talking to the media or public. That is a bad look.

He said in the video that he likes to "schedule wins" and doesn't think playing UK helps the team. Most good coaches would tell you playing tougher competition makes you better. I don't dislike Dan, he was a decent player and he did catch lighting in the bottle in the one season. Dan doesn't seem to understand college basketball which is understandable since the majority of his career he was an high school coach. He complained about the portal and not having NIL money. Why doesn't Da raise some money for NIL? He complained about losing two starters to the portal, but he has a bench full of players who are D2 level at best. I know that Dan doesn't like recruiting, but he needs to manage his roster. He has players taking up scholarships who are not DI material and hurting his team. Dan appears to me to be lost in the 1960's world of college basketball. I am not going to follow the team closely since MU seems willing to accept mediocrty in basketball which MU has done over the years. I am redirecting my BG donation to specific sports and not contributing to MU basketball.

One need only look at our roster and it is evident that Dan is a lazy recruiter....we just don't have enough players! A roster of "just another guy" types!

A competent coach could probably make a winner out of a roster full of "just another guy" types.
Happens every season with multiple teams out of nowhere.
No reason it couldn't happen at Marsh--wait...DD is in charge, nevermind.

The good news is, we do have some gimmes coming up on the schedule... Georgia Southern is 0-12 and literally the worst team in America... Coastal Carolina is 3-9 and two of their wins are NAIA Piedmont College, and DII St. Andrews University. The Chanticleers only DI victory, a buzzer beater to knock off powerhouse South Carolina Upstate 72-70.

Throw in hot garbage Old Dominion at 4-8 and we should be rolling through the SBC in no time... Six league games we can not lose.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
More like reality, and optimistic at that. Figure losing to JMU and App twice and two others? This squad will have to play lights out to get there….
THIS squad, yes.

“Others see things as they are and ask ‘why’, I see things as they should be and ask ‘why not”” - Robert Kennedy.

There are dozens of examples of programs, way less resources than us (basketball is not football, we are in a good place in basketball vis most of the lower half of the division) that refuse to accept mediocrity, and thus achieve.

So you fire DD, you run off as many as can be run off, and you grab this garbage basketball conference by the throat and control it. Do that over and over for a few years and see where we are.

But, no, just accept “reality”. Win 18 to 22 games against mediocre non-conference and in a garbage one bid (statistically about 13th seed most years) made for football league, lose the quarter or semi finals, pack it in, repeat next year.

THIS squad, yes.

“Others see things as they are and ask ‘why’, I see things as they should be and ask ‘why not”” - Robert Kennedy.

There are dozens of examples of programs, way less resources than us (basketball is not football, we are in a good place in basketball vis most of the lower half of the division) that refuse to accept mediocrity, and thus achieve.

So you fire DD, you run off as many as can be run off, and you grab this garbage basketball conference by the throat and control it. Do that over and over for a few years and see where we are.

But, no, just accept “reality”. Win 18 to 22 games against mediocre non-conference and in a garbage one bid (statistically about 13th seed most years) made for football league, lose the quarter or semi finals, pack it in, repeat next year.

Gotta love Goddamn Sam who talks so low about the SBC as a basketball conference (and frankly, he isn't wrong)...
But absolutely couldn't stand Marshall leaving CUSA in football.

THIS squad, yes.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions. Leonardo da Vinci.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT