ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumors...

Yup. And we beat them on a deep 3 with the clock running down. I am sure we will likely not see the Deacons in Htgn going forward….
We beat them by 7 (97-98). I don't recall much but I'm thinking Travis Young may have hit a dagger 3 late in that one. Georgia also came into the Henderson Center and we beat them by 10 (99-2000)

The OOC should have the following:
Miami Oh at home
Robert Morris at home
Queens at home
UNC Greensboro at home

Believe we play again at Toledo, at Ohio, and at Akron as well since Dan mentioned we would not be participating in the Sun Belt/MAC challenge because of us playing the exact teams next season and did not want any more on the schedule.
Believe the series with Morehead is still active. If so, we probably go there in 23-24.

Yup. And we beat them on a deep 3 with the clock running down. I am sure we will likely not see the Deacons in Htgn going forward….
Ummm, believe in D'Antoni's first season, BOTH Penn State and South Carolina played IN the Cam, returning games that Herrion's team played in the prior season.

I guess some people really believe that because the HERD under Danny has won (and lost) ONE game in the Big Dance in almost a DECADE, every Major program in the Country quakes in their sneakers with a hint of a thought about coming to the CAM to play a game!!! GIMMME a FRIGGGIN BREAK!!!

Oh, in football, HERD is hosting VA TECH at the JOAN this fall, along with playing at NC STATE. Tech has had no qualms playing MU in other sports, like baseball in Charleston's pro park. No doubt they'll make it to Huntington too to play in the new MU baseball facility when it opens. Be innovative, perhaps offer to play TECH in the nice Roanoke Civic Center, where the old SO CON tourney was held for a return game in Charleston's renovated Civic Center Coliseum, if a home and home can't be worked out. About 3 hours easy travel between the two schools. Don't sweat worrying about those "stuck in the 50's" Huntington Blue Noses in Ritter Park whose noses get so damn bent out of shape with any inkling of MU playing outside of Huntington!! Their type of yesterday thinking and reasoning is a major factor in why Huntington is so run down, declining and deteriorating, and no reason to let them hold back or retard MU as it tries to progress and take new and bold 21st Century initiatives with MODERN thinking, IMO!!

I think that is just something we tell ourselves to make us feel better. Fact is our MBB is really not much from a national perspective. UNC or someone of that level traveling to Huntington is nonsensical. It really is. That would be like tOSU or Bama coming to Huntington for football. The top teams don't need have any difficulty in scheduling or need to schedule Ws like mid to lower tier teams do.

A supposed terrible AD got MU some of the best home games the Joan has ever had...and did it with the perception of football "mediocrity" in the process.
Furthermore, people showed up and, at times, MU did too.

They weren't the likes of Bama, but they had enough notoriety to generate interest...and that's what MU needs.

The same can be done for basketball.

Fans who keep clinging to MU's overall history against the recent (waning) success of the team are just swimming in quicksand.

How about some people start to, I dunno, forget the long history of bad basketball used as an excuse to defend DD's obviously bad coaching and embrace the new standard, which is that MU CAN achieve a decent level of success?

Ummm, believe in D'Antoni's first season, BOTH Penn State and South Carolina played IN the Cam, returning games that Herrion's team played in the prior season.

I guess some people really believe that because the HERD under Danny has won (and lost) ONE game in the Big Dance in almost a DECADE, every Major program in the Country quakes in their sneakers with a hint of a thought about coming to the CAM to play a game!!! GIMMME a FRIGGGIN BREAK!!!

Oh, in football, HERD is hosting VA TECH at the JOAN this fall, along with playing at NC STATE. Tech has had no qualms playing MU in other sports, like baseball in Charleston's pro park. No doubt they'll make it to Huntington too to play in the new MU baseball facility when it opens. Be innovative, perhaps offer to play TECH in the nice Roanoke Civic Center, where the old SO CON tourney was held for a return game in Charleston's renovated Civic Center Coliseum, if a home and home can't be worked out. About 3 hours easy travel between the two schools. Don't sweat worrying about those "stuck in the 50's" Huntington Blue Noses in Ritter Park whose noses get so damn bent out of shape with any inkling of MU playing outside of Huntington!! Their type of yesterday thinking and reasoning is a major factor in why Huntington is so run down, declining and deteriorating, and no reason to let them hold back or retard MU as it tries to progress and take new and bold 21st Century initiatives with MODERN thinking, IMO!!
I don't think anyone thinks teams are scared to come, it's the fact most power conference teams don't/won't visit mid majors. Not like they used to

I don't think anyone thinks teams are scared to come, it's the fact most power conference teams don't/won't visit mid majors. Not like they used to
Agree, teams aren’t afraid to come here, but there has to be a reason to come here.

At least 90% of non-conference scheduling is done by the staffs themselves. Exception being some MTE’s such as the Cayman Classic this upcoming year.

Other than those types of things it’s who do you know, who do you have relationships with, who have you coached with.

Dan has none of those. He doesn’t have a coaching tree, he doesn’t work the NABC circuit, he rarely goes to the Final Four conventions, and he doesn’t have a lot of friends in the college game.

Therefore, nobody is going to come here. Big name programs will go to smaller places if there used to be a asst coach there (WVU went to Youngstown a year or two ago because of former asst there) teams have gone to UAB because of Andy Kennedy.

Roy Williams would go to schools close to where 4 year players were from to give them a “home” game their senior year much like Alabama is doing in softball here this year for Fouts.

South Carolina and Penn State came here because of Herrion’s relationship with Frank Martin.

You get out what you put in, and unfortunately ours doesn’t work too hard

Fear and loathing in Ritter Park.

Agree, teams aren’t afraid to come here, but there has to be a reason to come here.

At least 90% of non-conference scheduling is done by the staffs themselves. Exception being some MTE’s such as the Cayman Classic this upcoming year.

Other than those types of things it’s who do you know, who do you have relationships with, who have you coached with.

Dan has none of those. He doesn’t have a coaching tree, he doesn’t work the NABC circuit, he rarely goes to the Final Four conventions, and he doesn’t have a lot of friends in the college game.

Therefore, nobody is going to come here. Big name programs will go to smaller places if there used to be a asst coach there (WVU went to Youngstown a year or two ago because of former asst there) teams have gone to UAB because of Andy Kennedy.

Roy Williams would go to schools close to where 4 year players were from to give them a “home” game their senior year much like Alabama is doing in softball here this year for Fouts.

South Carolina and Penn State came here because of Herrion’s relationship with Frank Martin.

Spot on...

Basketball is nothing like football when it comes to scheduling, where contracts are signed a decade in advance and require negotiating future home games, travel payouts, TV rights, etc.

Basketball its all about connections... You don't even have to worry about return games, you can play someone once and then never again in the non-conference.

P5 teams are not going to consistently come to the Cam, I get that, but that doesn't mean we can't drastically improve how we schedule for basketball and get a "big" home game once in a while.

Not sure Frank Martin was anywhere near S. Carolina when we played them in Herrion's last year, nearly a decade ago. Believe he came the HC at SC after Herrion was gone from MU.

Well, after checking, Martin did get the HC job at SC in 2012, so he did coach them when we played the two games series with the Gamecocks. Had 10 seasons in Columbia, was canned in the spring of 2022 and later in the spring became the HC of the UMass basketball men's team.

I held back pointing out Wake Forest came in BB in late 90s.

What he lacks in knowledge he makes up for with confidence.
The Herd beat them so don’t look for them to ever play here again…

Go play at Belmont, Creighton, hell, play at FAU. A couple of games against someone with a pulse.

Call Va Tech, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton - anyone.
It’s my understanding Dan turned down a game at Dayton because they wouldn’t come here, turned down a series with Cincinnati because they wanted the return game to be in Charleston like the last time they came here. Also turned down a game at Penn State as well as a home and home with WVU (games would’ve been in Morgantown and Charleston).

It’s my understanding Dan turned down a game at Dayton because they wouldn’t come here, turned down a series with Cincinnati because they wanted the return game to be in Charleston like the last time they came here. Also turned down a game at Penn State as well as a home and home with WVU (games would’ve been in Morgantown and Charleston).

I’m disappointed we can’t get this series restarted, but Morgantown and Charleston is not a “home and home”.

You first……
Done.

My position on WVU, in football and men's basketball, is, and always has been, consistent. The series are over, and we should never play again. We should stop talking about it. We should move on. We should play in sports like soccer (where we are in the same conference) and baseball (which is tonight) and so on. We are not on the same level in basketball anymore; and there is no real reason for WVU to play us in football at this point in history.

As to the occasional Spamite that comes on here, yes I make fun. Making fun of stupid people is fun. I enjoy it. To follow USPAM requires one to either be so stupid that one ACTUALLY BELIEVES things that no one who follows sports on a national basis can believe. Or to be willing to suspend disbelief, as one does in pro wrestling, and go along with the gag. Yes, I make fun of stupid people. I make fun of people that watch wrestling, sell Amway, and believe the moon shot was fake as well. Sue me.

As to WVU, the institution, I hate it. One of the major reasons WV is dead last in everything is that WVU exists and receives millions of dollars in state taxpayer dollars which it uses to subsidize the out of state students it wants to have there, leaving MU, and the state's small colleges, to do the work it refuses to do. One way it gets by with that is that it uses sports to convince people with no actual relationship to it that somehow it is "us". If WV had a school that served it and had the money to do so, like UK does for Kentucky or OSU does for Ohio, then this stae wouldn't be last in everything.

Because everything bad for WVU is good for WV, and v-v, and because WVU uses sports to market itself, yes, I root for it to lose every game in every sport, every time. Because it hurts WVU, and thus makes WV better.

You should too.

Done.

My position on WVU, in football and men's basketball, is, and always has been, consistent. The series are over, and we should never play again. We should stop talking about it. We should move on. We should play in sports like soccer (where we are in the same conference) and baseball (which is tonight) and so on. We are not on the same level in basketball anymore; and there is no real reason for WVU to play us in football at this point in history.

As to the occasional Spamite that comes on here, yes I make fun. Making fun of stupid people is fun. I enjoy it. To follow USPAM requires one to either be so stupid that one ACTUALLY BELIEVES things that no one who follows sports on a national basis can believe. Or to be willing to suspend disbelief, as one does in pro wrestling, and go along with the gag. Yes, I make fun of stupid people. I make fun of people that watch wrestling, sell Amway, and believe the moon shot was fake as well. Sue me.

As to WVU, the institution, I hate it. One of the major reasons WV is dead last in everything is that WVU exists and receives millions of dollars in state taxpayer dollars which it uses to subsidize the out of state students it wants to have there, leaving MU, and the state's small colleges, to do the work it refuses to do. One way it gets by with that is that it uses sports to convince people with no actual relationship to it that somehow it is "us". If WV had a school that served it and had the money to do so, like UK does for Kentucky or OSU does for Ohio, then this stae wouldn't be last in everything.

Because everything bad for WVU is good for WV, and v-v, and because WVU uses sports to market itself, yes, I root for it to lose every game in every sport, every time. Because it hurts WVU, and thus makes WV better.

You should too.
I used to, honestly. But as I’ve gotten older, and gone for 40 years from living in Huntington, it’s just not worth it. Negative energy is energy wasted imo.
Now, when I see that they lost? Hell yes I am happy!

You wonder why a “name” opponent will not come and play in the Cam? Just ask the Marshall coaching staff and to a person they always reply “MONEY’! Can’t afford what the “name” school wants. Don’t believe me - go ask Mark Cline. He does the basketball schedule.

You wonder why a “name” opponent will not come and play in the Cam? Just ask the Marshall coaching staff and to a person they always reply “MONEY’! Can’t afford what the “name” school wants. Don’t believe me - go ask Mark Cline. He does the basketball schedule.
I don't see an issue with us going on the road to play 1-2 big teams a year. We get a little cash and the kids get to play on a bigger stage - they gotta love that. jmo

Danny will resign "for the good of the program" nearing the end of the 23-24 regular season . . .
Fantasy land! Come on people. Wake up. For the past two seasons each ended with Dan's contract expiring. Meaning we had not one, BUT TWO opportunities to move on cleanly and CHOSE NOT TO.

Dan won't be fired if we're bad next season or resign. If anything Micah leaving just helped him because it's a built in excuse. Not only did we lose Kinsey, but our next best player who allegedly wanted to play for Dan unexpectedly left.

Nope now Dan gets to hide behind yet another rebuild.

The only thing that would cause Dan to step down would be health and the D'Antoni men have strong genetics. I believe Dan's dad is 100 something isn't he?

Fantasy land! Come on people. Wake up. For the past two seasons each ended with Dan's contract expiring. Meaning we had not one, BUT TWO opportunities to move on cleanly and CHOSE NOT TO.

Dan won't be fired if we're bad next season or resign. If anything Micah leaving just helped him because it's a built in excuse. Not only did we lose Kinsey, but our next best player who allegedly wanted to play for Dan unexpectedly left.

Nope now Dan gets to hide behind yet another rebuild.

The only thing that would cause Dan to step down would be health and the D'Antoni men have strong genetics. I believe Dan's dad is 100 something isn't he?

Died at 103 back in 17.

I agree with everything you say. DD will be here as long as DD wants to be here, and then will pick his successor.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I used to, honestly. But as I’ve gotten older, and gone for 40 years from living in Huntington, it’s just not worth it. Negative energy is energy wasted imo.
Now, when I see that they lost? Hell yes I am happy!
You’re right about negative energy. I’m not happy that I don’t like to talk to anyone wearing a WVU shirt or hat here in South Carolina. Just don’t like the arrogant attitude especially after the experiences I have had when we played them.

The best we can hope for is playing P5 teams in early season tournaments. Was able to get them at home during the MMI years….

I really don't like the term "P5" vis basketball. It is a football term. Who is "major" in basketball is a different discussion, as it is in baseball, soccer, whatever. The current national champion isn't a "P5" school. Only one of the "final four" was in the "P5" and only 3 of the "elite eight". Since 2010, six national champions have not be in the "P5". Who is a "major" and certainly which is a "major conference" is different in basketball, and in other sports. The SBC is CERTAINLY a "major conference" in both men's soccer and in baseball.

Reactions: caliherd and RhinoD
I really don't like the term "P5" vis basketball. It is a football term. Who is "major" in basketball is a different discussion, as it is in baseball, soccer, whatever. The current national champion isn't a "P5" school. Only one of the "final four" was in the "P5" and only 3 of the "elite eight". Since 2010, six national champions have not be in the "P5". Who is a "major" and certainly which is a "major conference" is different in basketball, and in other sports. The SBC is CERTAINLY a "major conference" in both men's soccer and in baseball.
They should start labeling colleges by NIL amounts paid athletes from highest to lowest. That is what college sports is about today.

Agreed... I don't think anyone would argue that the Big East isn't a major basketball league.

In football there are two very clear cut tiers, partially because there are only 10 leagues. Basketball you have 32 leagues... Six I wound classify as "majors" ACC, Big12, Big10, Pac12, SEC, Big East... Then 3-4 more leagues that are a tier behind, Mountain West, West Coast Conference, Atlantic 10, CUSA... Then another 4-5 that are comparable, and so on and so on until you have grouped all 32.

Reactions: The Real SamC
UCONN is definitely a major.

To.me, it seems some schools are just by themselves when it comes to being a "Power" or not.
UConn is a perfect example. They could exist (and do) in an inferior league but still be known by their brand, which is a "Power basketball program."
Same with Gonzaga. St. Marys, on occasion, is a ranked school who makes the tournament, but I really couldn't name a single other school Gonzaga plays in conference.
Same with Butler...are they in the same conference as Creighton? I don't know.

Point is, in basketball, some schools carry their own torch, regardless of conference affiliation...and really they, as the program and not conference, should be considered the "Power."

Same with Butler...are they in the same conference as Creighton? I don't know.
Umm, yeah. The Big East. The same conference UConn is in. Along with three other schools that have won the national championship at one time or another. It isn't an "inferior" league. It is a non-ESPN league. As fans of, during the times they were off ESPN, things like the NHL, NASCAR, and CUSA, know, the Focus Of Evil In The Sports World, ignores leagues and sports it doesn't have the rights to.

Umm, yeah. The Big East. The same conference UConn is in. Along with three other schools that have won the national championship at one time or another. It isn't an "inferior" league. It is a non-ESPN league. As fans of, during the times they were off ESPN, things like the NHL, NASCAR, and CUSA, know, the Focus Of Evil In The Sports World, ignores leagues and sports it doesn't have the rights to.
? for Sam:
So, the devil and espn are hanging by their fingers from the bottom of the New River Gorge Bridge. You are holding one parachute.
Which one do you save?

I have no evidence that the two are different individuals.
As far as I can tell:
The Debil makes promises he can keep in exchange for your mortal soul;
espn only promises those whose pockets he can pilfer, 💩 on everyone else in exchange for your no ? asked obedience!

ALI ALI - Formerly from AKRON.. Most recently Butler.. Has entered the transfer portal. We need our recruiters to go after him with vengeance.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT