ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumors...

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
Nothing official obviously, as the title states, but I heard this weekend that DD is indeed coming back and the negotiating going on now is whether the deal is 2 years or 3.

Also heard MU is going to play in the Cayman Islands Classic at the beginning of the season next fall. The week before Thanksgiving... If that's true, its a step in the right direction in terms of scheduling for the nonconference. Teams in the Cayman Islands this year were – Kansas State, LSU, Nevada, Rhode Island, Akron (our best friends ever in basketball for some reason), Western Kentucky, Tulane and Illinois State.

Nothing official obviously, as the title states, but I heard this weekend that DD is indeed coming back and the negotiating going on now is whether the deal is 2 years or 3.

Also heard MU is going to play in the Cayman Islands Classic at the beginning of the season next fall. The week before Thanksgiving... If that's true, its a step in the right direction in terms of scheduling for the nonconference. Teams in the Cayman Islands this year were – Kansas State, LSU, Nevada, Rhode Island, Akron (our best friends ever in basketball for some reason), Western Kentucky, Tulane and Illinois State.
Spears confirmed on Paul Swann's show that Dan was coming back. Bringing him back, let alone for a multi-year deal, just shows they really don't care about elevating this program.

Last edited:
Next years teams (outside of Marshall) in the Cayman Island Classic are Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Drake, Stephen F Austin, Utah State one other to be named and possibly Cincinnati.
They need two more... They aren't going to have a 7 team event... I heard Cincy was a possibility and so was College of Charleston.

Either way, no matter who you draw, that lineup will at least give MU a chance to play 3 quality opponents.

Cannot complain about a pre-conference travel tournament. We should be in one every year. This one looks to have a solid mix of teams.

But the fact that DD is back is clear evidence the they just don't care about men's basketball at all.
I think it's more accurate to say we don't care about basketball not they. After all we are...

They need two more... They aren't going to have a 7 team event... I heard Cincy was a possibility and so was College of Charleston.

Either way, no matter who you draw, that lineup will at least give MU a chance to play 3 quality opponents.
…..and IF Dan could schedule 2 more at least Quad 2’s, that could go a ways towards quieting the weak schedule lynch mob……

I count 8 in fan's list

…..and IF Dan could schedule 2 more at least Quad 2’s, that could go a ways towards quieting the weak schedule lynch mob……
Agreed... With that Cayman Islands lineup, you are pretty much guaranteed to see at least one of Ole Miss, Wake Forest or Cincy, so that gives you a game against a P5 team (maybe two if you win the first). And the other mid-majors in that field are all comparable programs who went to the postseason this year (except for us)... Put one more "big" game on the schedule, even on the road, and then DD can play all the Coppin State's, Miami Ohio's, and Robert Morris' he'd like to get easy wins.

I count 8 in fan's list
Marshall, Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Drake, Stephen F. Austin, Utah State, Cincy (maybe)... Still need one more.

This is good. Now we can start the season bitching about a loss to a P5 team instead of a former community college.
Don't worry Geezer... DD isn't going to make that mistake again next season... We should have 2-3 games in before the Cayman Islands event and I would go ahead and fully expect them to be bottom feeders, and honestly that's okay as long as there are some good teams on the horizon.

If it were me making the schedule, I'd make sure to be 3-0 heading to that tournament... Tennessee Tech, Coppin State, Western Michigan (or something similar).

Agreed... With that Cayman Islands lineup, you are pretty much guaranteed to see at least one of Ole Miss, Wake Forest or Cincy, so that gives you a game against a P5 team (maybe two if you win the first). And the other mid-majors in that field are all comparable programs who went to the postseason this year (except for us)... Put one more "big" game on the schedule, even on the road, and then DD can play all the Coppin State's, Miami Ohio's, and Robert Morris' he'd like to get easy wins.

Marshall, Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Drake, Stephen F. Austin, Utah State, Cincy (maybe)... Still need one more.
that thing is played in a HS gym. although it is in a great setting, for fans, the trip would be very expensive

The OOC should have the following:
Miami Oh at home
Robert Morris at home
Queens at home
UNC Greensboro at home

Believe we play again at Toledo, at Ohio, and at Akron as well since Dan mentioned we would not be participating in the Sun Belt/MAC challenge because of us playing the exact teams next season and did not want any more on the schedule.

Maybe we could make history next year by being the first college team to win 30 games and go nowhere at tournament time.

Reactions: sluggo72
Last edited:
Don't worry Geezer... DD isn't going to make that mistake again next season... We should have 2-3 games in before the Cayman Islands event and I would go ahead and fully expect them to be bottom feeders, and honestly that's okay as long as there are some good teams on the horizon.

If it were me making the schedule, I'd make sure to be 3-0 heading to that tournament... Tennessee Tech, Coppin State, Western Michigan (or something similar).
I would be comfortable with our schedule from last year if we added two or three P5 games. It would be nice to have some type of measuring stick. Also, I would think the program would want to find a few money games to help balance the budget. Doing a little research it looks like Ohio State pays teams like Marshall around $100k for a buy game. On average IU pays $95k. I assume other schools in the B10, ACC, SEC, Big12 would pay similar.

Reactions: sluggo72
This was tagged at the bottom of that page.

PLEASE NOTE: Transportation to/from your hometown and the Cayman Islands is not included.

239 a night plus tax.

Wyndham reef 299 a night plus tax.

I know cost is relative but these are on the cheaper end.

239 a night plus tax.

Wyndham reef 299 a night plus tax.

I know cost is relative but these are on the cheaper end.
wyndham reef is a very nice property, although it is about an hour drive from the hotel to the BB games, each way. I can not speak to the Locale Hotel, I've been by it, but thought it was an office building. Taxes are approximatley $75-$100 per night depending on the room rate.
as mentioned the 'cheap' hotels in Cayman will cost you about $350 per night all in or more. The expensive ones will be $1500 per night for just a room.
You cant walk to the venue from either of these, so either rent a car, or taxi, which arent cheap either.
Plus at this point you havent had anything to eat or drink. Think maybe a little less than NYC.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
This is probably the cheapest hotel on the island, think run down super 8. That said it is in a very nice location, but no beach, iron shore only. The house bar, My Bar is the best there is, so you have that. You could walk to venue, I think it is about a mile. You could walk into Georgetown, it too is about a mile. There will be alot of activity as it is used by scuba divers. Dont try to turn down the breakfast, the price only goes up. LOL

Reactions: RhinoD
This is probably the cheapest hotel on the island, think run down super 8. That said it is in a very nice location, but no beach, iron shore only. The house bar, My Bar is the best there is, so you have that. You could walk to venue, I think it is about a mile. You could walk into Georgetown, it too is about a mile. There will be alot of activity as it is used by scuba divers. Dont try to turn down the breakfast, the price only goes up. LOL

I jumped on Expedia last night and had a gander... Direct flight from Charlotte to Grand Cayman, and a place to stay, was going $1,230 per person for the dates of the tournament. That was flight and staying in an Airbnb/apartment building in Georgetown... Cheapest hotel property I could find was the Hilton and that upped the package to $1,420 per person. It's a week after the wife's birthday, so I thought I might kill two birds with one birthday present/vacation stone.

I jumped on Expedia last night and had a gander... Direct flight from Charlotte to Grand Cayman, and a place to stay, was going $1,230 per person for the dates of the tournament. That was flight and staying in an Airbnb/apartment building in Georgetown... Cheapest hotel property I could find was the Hilton and that upped the package to $1,420 per person. It's a week after the wife's birthday, so I thought I might kill two birds with one birthday present/vacation stone.
I cant find the Hilton but there is a Hampton by Hilton which isnt a bad place. Its just like a Hampton inn here, it is not techechinally on the beach, but it is on the beach side of the road. You walk out a little path about 50 yds ,and then you are on the beach, which is public, no one can tell you cant be there. its right next to the Marriott, which I think is under going construction of some sort. It is not too far from the Westin, but the basketball venue you will have to take a cab or something. There are a couple of good places near by to eat.
if you decide to go, I can tell you more.

Is the Westin close to the games? If we go that will likely be our pick.
no it is not (provided they are playing the games the same place as last year) IIRC the package offered on the website include a shuttle, IDK if you could use that or not. Off the top of my head I would guess it is 4-5 miles walk in the hot sun. the other part of the walk would be on the road, no side walk. It is though, close to a very nice beach, Smith Cove beach, one I like to play around. Jump off the rocks if you want. You can always walk to My Bar (Sunset house, near smith cove beach) which is a fun place.

Next years teams (outside of Marshall) in the Cayman Island Classic are Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Drake, Stephen F Austin, Utah State one other to be named and possibly Cincinnati.
Now. perhaps "some" will quit bitching about The Herd's BB OOC schedule, with the Cayman island Classic foes.

Getting teams to come to Huntington and leaving with a "W" has always been a challenge for MU basketball....

Wake Forest has always said NO.....the Tarheels NO, yet, they will play both football & basketball in Boone, NC State is a NO to both football & basketball in Huntington.....

Dan does the best he can to get teams come to Huntington!!!!

AMEN & AMEN

I have always claimed you could donate to some HERD NATION posters a Million $$$$...and they would Bitch about the dollar bills [some would want all $100, others would want all $50 bills---I think you get my point!]

This is another reason "we" graduate from Marshall...and move out of state!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Now. perhaps "some" will quit bitching about The Herd's BB OOC schedule, with the Cayman island Classic foes.

Getting teams to come to Huntington and leaving with a "W" has always been a challenge for MU basketball....

Wake Forest has always said NO.....the Tarheels NO, yet, they will play both football & basketball in Boone, NC State is a NO to both football & basketball in Huntington.....

Dan does the best he can to get teams come to Huntington!!!!
Nc state was in Huntington for FB not too long ago. 2018??

Nc state was in Huntington for FB not too long ago. 2018??
Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

I think that is just something we tell ourselves to make us feel better. Fact is our MBB is really not much from a national perspective. UNC or someone of that level traveling to Huntington is nonsensical. It really is. That would be like tOSU or Bama coming to Huntington for football. The top teams don't have any difficulty in scheduling or need to schedule Ws like mid to lower tier teams do.

Last edited:
wyndham reef is a very nice property, although it is about an hour drive from the hotel to the BB games, each way. I can not speak to the Locale Hotel, I've been by it, but thought it was an office building. Taxes are approximatley $75-$100 per night depending on the room rate.
as mentioned the 'cheap' hotels in Cayman will cost you about $350 per night all in or more. The expensive ones will be $1500 per night for just a room.
You cant walk to the venue from either of these, so either rent a car, or taxi, which arent cheap either.
Plus at this point you havent had anything to eat or drink. Think maybe a little less than NYC.

"If Marshall Athletics had set us up at the Ritz and not the Wyndham, we would have won that tournament..."

-DD's presser after MU being eliminated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT