ADVERTISEMENT

SHR: Moving to two super-conferences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
Saw this today and thought it was eye opening... And its clearly the reason college football is going to be the SEC, Big10 and then a mile wide divide to everyone else.

15 NCAA Football games this year drew 9 million or more television viewers, led by Michigan-Alabama with 27.9 million.

Every single game in the top 20 in ratings featured at least one, sometimes two, of these 12 teams.

Michigan (5 times)
Ohio State (4 times)
Alabama (4 times)
Georgia (3 times)
Washington (2 times)
Penn State (2 times)
Oregon (2 times)
Florida State (2 times)
Colorado (2 times)
Texas
Notre Dame
LSU
Missouri

How short is the list of teams if you take off the teams that only made the list when they played Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia or Alabama.

Reactions: 19MU88
NFL regular-season games averaged 17.9 million viewers,

Major college football is massive, throw in all the other games(not on the list in this thread) and college football as a whole is passing the NFL in size and scope. As a whole it is bigger. When you look at the totality from the MAC to the SEC and Big 10, you can see where this is going. It is millions and millions of viewers . When the playoff expands it is going to even get bigger.

NFL regular-season games averaged 17.9 million viewers,

Major college football is massive, throw in all the other games(not on the list in this thread) and college football as a whole is passing the NFL in size and scope. As a whole it is bigger. When you look at the totality from the MAC to the SEC and Big 10, you can see where this is going. It is millions and millions of viewers . When the playoff expands it is going to even get bigger.
What does in totality and size mean? That there are more colleges than NFL teams? Because that’s the only place CFB will ever be bigger than the NFL in our lifetimes.

The NFL had the 20 most watched broadcasts of 2023 and 93 out of the top 100 overall. The 56 most watched sporting events of 2023 were all NFL games.

The Super Bowl last year - which is very much comparable to the Bama/UM Rose Bowl this year in terms of importance to each sport - drew 115 million viewers.

Hell, 42 million people watched Dallas and Washington on Thanksgiving on few months ago.

What does in totality and size mean? That there are more colleges than NFL teams? Because that’s the only place CFB will ever be bigger than the NFL in our lifetimes.

The NFL had the 20 most watched broadcasts of 2023 and 93 out of the top 100 overall. The 56 most watched sporting events of 2023 were all NFL games.

The Super Bowl last year - which is very much comparable to the Bama/UM Rose Bowl this year in terms of importance to each sport - drew 115 million viewers.

Hell, 42 million people watched Dallas and Washington on Thanksgiving on few months ago.
Well that thr Cowboys, America's team. Haha

Take thr Carolina Panthers. Do more people give a shit about the Carolina Panthers or when you add all thre colleges let's say within 3 or 4 hours of them?.Do more people care about the SEC or the Atlanta Falcons?

What I am saying is college footall is becoming a monster. The NFL wa .made doe tv. There are times I would rather watch Rambo 6 than the Super Bowl. I am not missing the college championship.

Add up all the colleges and games on a weekend. That's what I am.saying. now throw it these expanded mega conferences and a bigger college playoff. That's all I am saying. It is so.big because of the number of teams and what they are doing. These new tv.deals in the future foe the SEC and Big 10 will be insane.

Well that thr Cowboys, America's team. Haha

Take thr Carolina Panthers. Do more people give a shit about the Carolina Panthers or when you add all thre colleges let's say within 3 or 4 hours of them?.Do more people care about the SEC or the Atlanta Falcons?

What I am saying is college footall is becoming a monster. The NFL wa .made doe tv. There are times I would rather watch Rambo 6 than the Super Bowl. I am not missing the college championship.

Add up all the colleges and games on a weekend. That's what I am.saying. now throw it these expanded mega conferences and a bigger college playoff. That's all I am saying. It is so.big because of the number of teams and what they are doing. These new tv.deals in the future foe the SEC and Big 10 will be insane.
You are seeing this through a regional lens... You need to think bigger.

Are the Falcons bigger than Bama/Georgia? -- No, not right now... But if the Falcons become a contender at some point, they will once again be just as or more popular than UGA.

Also, you can't just look at the 6-7 states in the Southeast... NFL football is vastly more popular than college football in the Northeast, Great Plains, Southwest and the West Coast (where a majority of Americans live).

Then take a second and think globally... No one in other countries gives a rats rear end about college football (with the exception of a few folks in Ireland who root for Notre Dame)... The NFL is HUGE in Europe, Central and South America, Canada, etc... The Super Bowl is a global event. College football will never have that.

The NFL is vastly more popular than college football, and that is not going to change.

The only two things that college football had over the NFL, which were the most meaningful regular season in all of sports; and the fact that a team could have a successful season without being the one and only winner, have been killed by the focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN. Combined with the "transfer portal" (unlimited free agency) and NIL (pay) the gap will become larger in years to come.

You are seeing this through a regional lens... You need to think bigger.

Are the Falcons bigger than Bama/Georgia? -- No, not right now... But if the Falcons become a contender at some point, they will once again be just as or more popular than UGA.

Also, you can't just look at the 6-7 states in the Southeast... NFL football is vastly more popular than college football in the Northeast, Great Plains, Southwest and the West Coast (where a majority of Americans live).

Then take a second and think globally... No one in other countries gives a rats rear end about college football (with the exception of a few folks in Ireland who root for Notre Dame)... The NFL is HUGE in Europe, Central and South America, Canada, etc... The Super Bowl is a global event. College football will never have that.
I didn't say it wasn't more popular , what i am trying to say is that college sports is a big thing , getting bigger. It will grow more with the upcoming playoff and super conferences. The NFL and College are two different things. There are more college teams than NFL teams.

The NFL has has a shit product(too many flags, grab ass football) and people continue to watch because it is entertainment. When I go to a NFL game I want to surf my phone, take a nap, and look at my watch. It is much better on tv. The NFL is made for tv, I get that. College atmosphere is 20 times better. There are what 220 teams playing in FCS or FBS weekly? The new college playoff is going to draw huge amounts of interest and tv rating. Not saying it will be NFL Superbowl. But, it will be massive. Look at what the NCAA tournament does(also college). College was made for the game and the stadium and the band and on campus and the pride. But, they are going to be huge tv draws in this expanded playoff.

The NFL is about tv, Taylor Swift sitting in a box, big cities, watching it on Sunday, etc. But, the new college football will be a force to be reconned with. They obviously won't compete with the NFL, they play at different times. But, the millions of dollars that is going to happen is going to completely change the landscape. They aren't done yet. When conferences like the ACC could be blown up then you know something big is going on.

That is all I am saying. Think of how big the NCAA tournament is. Now you are going to have a football parallel.

You obviously have drunk the ESPN Kool-Aid. Fact is that these ridiculous playoffs are an answer to a question no one asked. They will, along with NIL (pay) and the "transfer portal" (unlimited year to year free agency) eventually destroy college football.

Give me a piece of notebook paper. I will write down 20 programs. These teams, with 95% accuracy (leaving out the crumb G5 slot, which they will eventually do away with) make the playoffs, every year.

Everyone else is a POS. And, leaving out the 4-6 programs that will always win ESPN unwanted playoffs, so are those who make it just to lose every year. EVERYONE is a POS.

That is what ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has created. One winner, 134 POSs.

You obviously have drunk the ESPN Kool-Aid. Fact is that these ridiculous playoffs are an answer to a question no one asked. They will, along with NIL (pay) and the "transfer portal" (unlimited year to year free agency) eventually destroy college football.

Give me a piece of notebook paper. I will write down 20 programs. These teams, with 95% accuracy (leaving out the crumb G5 slot, which they will eventually do away with) make the playoffs, every year.

Everyone else is a POS. And, leaving out the 4-6 programs that will always win ESPN unwanted playoffs, so are those who make it just to lose every year. EVERYONE is a POS.

That is what ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has created. One winner, 134 POSs.
So in one thread you throw up the heroics of a program and coach of 25+ years ago as a model for success and in this one point to the actual reason duplicating this effort is virtually impossible. Nice.

What?

The effort 25+ years ago was simply demanding excellence, as I do, rather than accepting mediocrity, as you do.

That has, well, nothing to do with the playoffs. An answer to a question no one asked. In the coming system, the same teams will make the playoffs, over and over. Everyone else is POS. The same teams will win the playoffs, over and over. Everyone else is POS.

That is just not the "group of 5" but 3/4ths of the so-called "power 4". Is WVU every going to make the playoffs? Pitt? VA Tech? Your UNC or NC State? UK? Louisville? Cincinnati? Nope. Just POSs. Gone are the days when you could be "Gator Bowl Champions" and call that a victory. Just on winner, and everyone else is a POS.

Thanks, ESPN.

One winner. 130+ POSs.

The effort 25+ years ago was simply demanding excellence
You "demanded" cheaters, cheat.

From the NCAA report:
The head football coach reported that employment of nonqualifiers by the athletics representative was an established practice by the time he took over as head football coach in 1996. The assistant football coach joined the athletics department at approximately the same time as the head coach and confirmed the pre-existing nature of the employment program. As he put it, “I never at any time felt like that this was something that had been added or that this was something new.” The head football coach further reported that from fall 1996 to February 2000, all football nonqualifiers had the opportunity to work at the athletics representative’s business.

Thank you for confirming that the compliance director was 100% responsible for this problem. He, not BP, had the job of knowing the rules. He didn't, because he was incompetent. He was KOM's boy.

But more broadly, since you falsely believe that the achievements of that era were "cheating", why are you a MU fan?

I will answer that for you. You are not. You are a Spamite troll.

Go away.

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Thank you for confirming that the compliance director was 100% responsible for this problem. He, not BP, had the job of knowing the rules. He didn't, because he was incompetent. He was KOM's boy.

But more broadly, since you falsely believe that the achievements of that era were "cheating", why are you a MU fan?

I will answer that for you. You are not. You are a Spamite troll.

Go away.
Except for the fact this is exactly the opposite of what the report stated. He wasn't doing what the compliane director told him to do. You keep changing your lies sammy. You claimed Pruett didn't know. You claimed he had no idea. WRONG...as usual.

The events were cheating. If they were not, probationary measures would not have occurred. I can still be a marshall fan, appreciate the decade and admit we got caught. I can also admit we were doing nothing that the big boys were also not doing. Move on Sammy. you got caught promoting lies and misinformation. Again.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
That is just not the "group of 5" but 3/4ths of the so-called "power 4". Is WVU every going to make the playoffs? Pitt? VA Tech? Your UNC or NC State? UK? Louisville? Cincinnati? Nope.
Pitt just won the ACC in 2021. Had that season used the 12 team playoff system instead of the 4 team playoff system not only would Pitt have made the playoff they would have been one of the four "buy" teams. Whoever wins the ACC and the Big 12, as long as there is still this 12 team playoff, will not only make the playoffs but receive a "buy." A group of 5 champion will never receive a "buy." Next year I fully expect either Oklahoma St, Arizona, or Kansas St to be one of the "buy" teams that the Big 12 gets and the ACC might very well have Louisville or NC State as it's conference champion next year.

Pitt just won the ACC in 2021. Had that season used the 12 team playoff system instead of the 4 team playoff system not only would Pitt have made the playoff they would have been one of the four "buy" teams. Whoever wins the ACC and the Big 12, as long as there is still this 12 team playoff, will not only make the playoffs but receive a "buy." A group of 5 champion will never receive a "buy." Next year I fully expect either Oklahoma St, Arizona, or Kansas St to be one of the "buy" teams that the Big 12 gets and the ACC might very well have Louisville or NC State as it's conference champion next year.

It's "bye."

Saw today South Alabama's HEAD COACH is leaving to be the defensive coordinator at Alabama... He will make significantly more money as a coordinator at Bama.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Am I the only one who thinks that the Big Ten needs to change its name? It doesn't make sense anymore.
The only conference names that makes sense are CUSA and AAC.

The Sun Belt has teams in the mountains of NC and in WV and VA.

The Mountain West has a team in HI, and teams in CA.

The Mid-American has a team in NY.

The Southeastern has teams in TX, MO, and OK.

The Atlantic Coast has teams in CA, KY, TX, PA, and IN.

The Big 10 has 18 members.

The Big 12 also has 18 members, none of which are actually "big", being made up of programs the ACC, SEC, and B10 didn't want.

The Pac 12, which still exists on paper and which will get all of the league's NCAA basketball credits for years to come, has 2 members, but is still on the Pacific coast, at least.

In basketball, you have:

The Missouri Valley, which has no teams in the Missouri river drainage, with 10 of its 14 members being on the other side of the Mississippi from the Missouri.

The Big Sky, which has teams in CA, AZ, OR, and WA, far from the mountain west, which is the big sky country.

The Big East, which, aside from not being all that big anymore, has teams in NE, IN, OH, IL, and WI.

The Big South and the Big West, which both are among the smallest programs.

The Ohio Valley, which has 3 teams on the wrong side of the Mississippi from the Ohio.

Well, the SEC has a team in Missouri. That’s neither southern or eastern.
And the ACC now has teams in California. Nothing says “Atlantic Coast Conference” quite like California.

Well, the SEC has a team in Missouri. That’s neither southern or eastern.
Slave state = southern

Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

More evidence that "Herdguy04" is one of Riflearm's troll accounts.

Not really that.
It's more of you simpletons demanding to be taken seriously but fail basic grammar in the process.
It's akin to you standing by the memorial fountain talking about MU and how things need to be changed, but you're wearing a clown suit while doing so.

I normally could care less about grammar, but I noticed, certainly not to the extent of Rifle, how glaringly bad you messed up.

I will say, your post is wrong. The top 4 highest ranked teams would get a bye. That would have been (at the time you speak of):
Georgia
Michigan
Alabama
Cincy

In no way would Pitt be able to argue a bye against ohio state or Notre Dame.

Conference affiliation only works for the champion, not the bye. The top 4 programs in ranking will get it.
The top 4 is going to be a combination of Big 10 and SEC anyway. The Big 12 is too weak as is the ACC.
Then again, upon reading your initial post, which literally has 1 obvious sentence about the G5, it's utterly confusing what your goal for the post even was.

I will say, your post is wrong. The top 4 highest ranked teams would get a bye. That would have been (at the time you speak of):
Georgia
Michigan
Alabama
Cincy
YOU are wrong retard. Read the rules. In the new 12 team playoff only conference champions get the 4 byes. Georgia and Alabama can’t both get byes because both cannot be conference champions. Also Notre Dame can’t get a bye because it doesn’t play in a conference.

“The four highest-ranked champs will receive an automatic bye to the CFP quarterfinals.”
“Notre Dame and other independents can only be chosen as an at-large”

YOU are wrong retard. Read the rules. In the new 12 team playoff only conference champions get the 4 byes. Georgia and Alabama can’t both get byes because both cannot be conference champions. Also Notre Dame can’t get a bye because it doesn’t play in a conference.

“The four highest-ranked champs will receive an automatic bye to the CFP quarterfinals.”

I don't believe Notre Dame would be denied a bye. They have slipped through the cracks so much and often, their exception to rules is basically their brand at this point.
But...
If that's the case you say, Oklahoma State and the PAC 12 champion, depending on your ranking of the last week of the regular season, Oregon, or Utah at the very end, both finished higher than Pittsburgh.

Your argument is wrong and you're a tool.

I don't believe Notre Dame would be denied a bye. They have slipped through the cracks so much and often, their exception to rules is basically their brand at this point.
But...
If that's the case you say, Oklahoma State and the PAC 12 champion, depending on your ranking of the last week of the regular season, Oregon, or Utah at the very end, both finished higher than Pittsburgh.

Your argument is wrong and you're a tool.
How does demonstrating to you what the actual rules are make me a "tool" you pathetic moron? "Your argument is wrong." Read the damn rules man. There can't be two bye teams from the same conference. No both Michigan and Ohio State as byes. No both Alabama and Georgia.

"I don't believe Notre Dame would be denied a bye." Notre Dame isn't even eligible for a bye you feeble minded moron. Why not research the actual playoff rules before posting?

"The top four seeds in the new CFP, and their accompanying byes, will be reserved for the highest-ranked conference champions in the field. The Irish can’t get one."

How does demonstrating to you what the actual rules are make me a "tool" you pathetic moron? "Your argument is wrong." Read the damn rules man. There can't be two bye teams from the same conference. No both Michigan and Ohio State as byes. No both Alabama and Georgia.

"I don't believe Notre Dame would be denied a bye." Notre Dame isn't even eligible for a bye you feeble minded moron. Why not research the actual playoff rules before posting?

"The top four seeds in the new CFP, and their accompanying byes, will be reserved for the highest-ranked conference champions in the field. The Irish can’t get one."

So you quoted my revision for what you said, then went back to the previous post I had made for your current argument.
Intelligence would love to meet with you, but you are just too fast for it.

You believing the CFP is going to keep their word or actually stick to what they say, is enough evidence to prove your incompetence.

Until you decide to be intelligent, I would suggest removing yourself from here and think about your recent, stupid actions.

So you quoted my revision for what you said, then went back to the previous post I had made for

You believing the CFP is going to keep their word or actually stick to what they say, is enough evidence to prove your incompetence.

Until you decide to be intelligent, I would suggest removing yourself from here and think about your recent, stupid actions.
Aren’t you glad I schooled you on how the new playoff system will work dummy? Why aren’t you grateful moron?

Aren’t you glad I schooled you on how the new playoff system will work dummy? Why aren’t you grateful moron?

For someone who seemed really high on Pittsburgh making the CFP back in 2021, which makes no sense to the argument of Marshall or the G5 getting a "buy" 🤣
For someome who failed to see another conference champion ranked higher, would have gotten the "buy" 🤣
...and for someone who just seems so hellbent on winning an argument on an online forum, which he hasn't...no, not really seeing where you schooled anyone...or where you'd stupidly think anyone, would be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT