ADVERTISEMENT

SHR Football playoffs are expanding in 2024

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
ESPN Playoff Expansion

Still some details to work out with the committee, but with all the NY6 bowls now on board, the TV people on board, and the committee on board in principal... The football playoffs are going to 12 teams in 2024.

The format (according to the Sporting News) will be --
4 -- Highest ranked P5 conference champions
2 -- Additional conference champions (at least one will be a G5)
6 -- at-large, voted on by the committee

The top 4 must be "Conference Champions" meaning Notre Dame, or any other independent, or the second place team from the SEC can not get a top 4 ranking (and a first round bye). The top 4 teams will get to pick their first game (second round) venue in order of rank. Teams ranked 5-8 will host first round games. teams 9-12 will be on the road.

If this system were in place this year, here's how it would look based on this week's rankings...

1. Georgia (Bye) SEC Champ
2. Michigan (Bye) Big10 Champ
3. TCU (Bye) Big12 Champ
4. USC (Bye) PAC12 champ
5. Ohio State vs. 12. Tulane AAC Champ
6. Alabama vs. 11. Utah
7. Tennessee vs. 10. Kansas State
8. Penn State vs. 9. Clemson ACC Champ

A sad announcement.

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has finally killed the most meaningful regular season in sports.

For schools like Marshall? Understand that this kills the bowls, or at least makes them something like the NIT or one of those pay to play deals DD loves so much. We are in a worse place than we were during the MAC era, when it was win the conference and go to a ginned up bowl before 70K empty seats in frozen Pontiac, MI, or stay home. We have a 1% shot at a once in a lifetime 12 seed assreaming by Alabama, or the season ends in November.

For schools like WVU, or Kentucky, Virginia Tech, or really about 80% of the so-called power 5? You will NEVER make the playoffs. You will enter the season, every year, KNOWING you will NEVER make the playoffs. You will get 9 or even 10 wins, and it won’t mean a thing.

For schools like OSU? That big game versus Michigan, or Penn State, or Wisconsin? Doesn’t mean a thing. No more than Bengals-Browns in week 11. Sure, the fans care a little more than if it was Bengals-Jaguars, but really its all about making the playoffs.

I'm torn on the playoff deal. I agree with Sam's take though, as watching the OSU-Michigan game this past Saturday, I knew if Michigan lost, they were out. OSU lost, but yet, they would still get into the new playoff format, despite losing by 3 touchdowns on their home field in front of millions of people. The OSU-Michigan game in 80% of the years will be played with nothing on the line. Win, you're in the playoffs. Lose, you're in the playoffs. Will top players on each team sit out the final game, just to insure they're not injured? Have you watched a meaningless week 17 NFL game where all of the top stars sit it out? You stand a great chance of diminishing these sacred games into NFL Exhibition games played on August 15th.

On the other hand, it does give an opportunity for 5-12 to redeem themselves with a 2nd chance. However, this isn't the judicial system. This is a one strike game. You swing and miss, you're out in most cases. Even with the 4 team playoff, some of these games being played this weekend are meaningless, other than taking home the hardware. Georgia and Michigan are supposedly already in, regardless of outcome. Do you take a chance on playing the starters against 3 loss, 4 loss teams? Thinking Michigan will sit out their 5 or 6 starters that sat out against Illinois two weeks ago. Why take a chance on a game that means nothing, other than a trophy most people will forget about by March?

The greed in me, one that has me loving college football (and college basketball) loves watching the underdog get a shot at taking down the top dog, so for that reason, and that reason only, I kind of like the new format. In the end though, you'll see the same four teams we've seen for the last decade being the last team standing.

I agree with Sam's point about it devaluing the regular season... Now that huge game last week between Michigan and Ohio State would essentially be meaningless since both teams know they are making the playoffs regardless of outcome. It also basically guarantees the SEC at least 3 (possibly 4) spots out of the 12.

I disagree with Sam on his second point... I dont think this has any impact on the small bowl games played between Dec. 15 and Dec. 30. The same subset of fans who care about those games, because their team is playing, will still care. Marshall at 8-4 will go to the same Lending Tree/Cure/Myrtle Beach/Camelia Bowl under the new format as it is this season. For us it doesn't change the route to the playoff, if you want a spot in the playoff, you have to go undefeated (or maybe have one P5 loss) and be the highest ranked G5 champ, otherwise its an afterthought bowl some time around Christmas.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
I’ll just disagree for the heck of it. The way I see it all this does is make the entire season more meaningful, not letting one bad game erase 11 or 12 other games.

The only circumstance that makes this bad is if you have 4, and only 4, undefeated conference champs. Why should USC get a spot playing in a weak PAC 12 over Ohio State who plays in a conference with 3 teams in the 12 team field?

The NFL is different. Tampa Bay would make the playoffs today with a sub 500 record. That’s no right, but there’s nothing wrong with taking the top 12 teams, you have to have a great season to be top 12 out of 131.

This will undoubtedly make the regular season less important. Even four teams making the “tournament” already has. Bama could sneak in with two losses should USC and TCU lose.

But, I think fans will grow to love the 12 team playoff. I’m excited for schools like Marshall. We actually have a chance to play for a national championship by earning it on the field.

Not only does Marshall, and every other G5 including the vaunted AMERICAN!!!!!, and the delusionals at Boise State, have no shot at winning a national championship, neither does 80 or more % of the so-called power 5.

I can write down 20 teams for the 11 slots (the token 12th slot for the G5 is pretty meaningless) and some mix of those 20 will get in. This year, next year, every year. It is going to be the same teams, over and over.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Would this mean having the major rivalry games at the start of the season?
You'd gain just as much interest but it would also determine how a season could go for either team...it would mean more since the first major hurdle is out of the way.
I dunno about all this...as the consensus is leaning, Sam is right that it devalues the major, end of season rivalry games, because regardless, osu would be in.
But it gives MU and the G5 a chance to make the title game.

I would schedule all the hard games early. The ratings are more of "what have you done lately", and a King of the hill tournament. If you lose you drop and maybe be passed by someone with an equal or lesser resume. They tend to forget about bad losses after you win a few games.

Even though we'll never get it, this is one step closer to a true playoff. I don't thin this devalues the regular season at all. You still need to have an impressive enough of a resume to get in. You know what really devalues the regular season? Having the post season dictated by a room full of talking heads.

Every other single level of football has a true playoff. There is no reason the FBS couldn't either. Bowls are a joke. We have 5-7 teams going to bowls this year and JMU not being allowed to play.

Reactions: caliherd
I would schedule all the hard games early. The ratings are more of "what have you done lately", and a King of the hill tournament. If you lose you drop and maybe be passed by someone with an equal or lesser resume. They tend to forget about bad losses after you win a few games.
I agree... But two problems. The conferences still make the schedules, and they aren't going to front load the schedules for their 2-3 best teams. And this only matters to the P5 leagues. The G5 formula for making the playoff does not change, go 11-1 or 12-0 and be the highest ranked G5 champ. Anything short of that and you have no chance.
Not only does Marshall, and every other G5 including the vaunted AMERICAN!!!!!, and the delusionals at Boise State, have no shot at winning a national championship, neither does 80 or more % of the so-called power 5.

I can write down 20 teams for the 11 slots (the token 12th slot for the G5 is pretty meaningless) and some mix of those 20 will get in. This year, next year, every year. It is going to be the same teams, over and over.
So basically the expansion changes nothing... Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, USC will just keep winning the tournament every year. Like the NCAA basketball tourney, at least it now gives the little guys the illusion that they "have a shot." Instead of trying to beat Villanova, Kansas, Kentucky and UNC to win a basketball championship the MU's of the world just have to beat Bama, Michigan, Ohio State and USC. Sounds easy enough. Lol

I saw how things would have worked out since 2015 if this format would be used. Last year was the only year a G5 team wasn't ranked 12th. Every year, the G5 will be screwed again. In my opinion, the Conference Champions should be the top 6 seeds. If they truly want to make it fair, they'll address this.

A sad announcement.

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has finally killed the most meaningful regular season in sports.

For schools like Marshall? Understand that this kills the bowls, or at least makes them something like the NIT or one of those pay to play deals DD loves so much. We are in a worse place than we were during the MAC era, when it was win the conference and go to a ginned up bowl before 70K empty seats in frozen Pontiac, MI, or stay home. We have a 1% shot at a once in a lifetime 12 seed assreaming by Alabama, or the season ends in November.

For schools like WVU, or Kentucky, Virginia Tech, or really about 80% of the so-called power 5? You will NEVER make the playoffs. You will enter the season, every year, KNOWING you will NEVER make the playoffs. You will get 9 or even 10 wins, and it won’t mean a thing.

For schools like OSU? That big game versus Michigan, or Penn State, or Wisconsin? Doesn’t mean a thing. No more than Bengals-Browns in week 11. Sure, the fans care a little more than if it was Bengals-Jaguars, but really its all about making the playoffs.
I hate to agree with Sam, but he's 100% correct on this!

This will undoubtedly make the regular season less important. Even four teams making the “tournament” already has. Bama could sneak in with two losses should USC and TCU lose.

But, I think fans will grow to love the 12 team playoff. I’m excited for schools like Marshall. We actually have a chance to play for a national championship by earning it on the field.
As a 12 seed

11 or 12 seed is the best seed to have when you're not amongst the elite, but you're still a damn decent team. That's why you see the 11 and 12 seeds in the NCAA supposedly upsetting 5 and 6 seeds in the opening rounds of the dance. Then you get to play the 4 seed or 3 seed in the 2nd round. In other words, you avoid playing the top 2 teams in the 2nd round. Herd all the way in 2025.

I don’t see how any fan of a G5 school could look at this and be disappointed.

There’s GUARANTEED a G5 team to be in the playoffs every single year. Other than that, how does it hurt us?

I don’t care that Ohio State /Michigan would have meant slightly less this year. No more than OSU/Michigan fans will change their opinion on the Gasparilla bowl. Plus, there will still be major games with playoff implications.

How does this devalue the bowls more than they already are? The bowls devalued themselves once we had so many of them that every team with a pulse got one (and often teams without one).

For the first time, maybe in the history of college football, all Division I teams can start the season with a CHANCE of winning a title.

What’s the downside for Marshall here?

Last edited:
What’s the downside for Marshall here?
There isn't one... It doesn't devalue our regular season games at all, since there is only one route to the playoffs and that is at least 11-1. Once we lose more than 1 game, we are right back to hoping for a SBC title and a regular old bowl bid.

I think what folks are pointing out, is there is not much upside either... In the very very rare year MU might make the playoff, they still have no chance in reality. Beating 4 of the biggest programs in college football is not going to happen. Best the G5 representative can hope for is to pull a round one upset as a 10-12 seed before getting rolled.

12 will become 16 will become 24. The only constant will be one G5 token spot.

The bowls will die out. MU’s reward for 8-4 or 9-3 or even 10-2 or 11-1 will be,

Nothing.

Reactions: rvntx
12 will become 16 will become 24. The only constant will be one G5 token spot.

The bowls will die out. MU’s reward for 8-4 or 9-3 or even 10-2 or 11-1 will be,

Nothing.

The normal bowls will still be around, do you know why Sam???? MONEY. ESPN is going to have their cake and eat is to. I hope it does become 16. This is great news for G5 and erases the line that has been drawn in the sand. If and when they do go to 16 then there will be a true college football champion. If you win your conference you are in (eventually) I do not see how anyone could hate that.

Why does it work and people love it at every other level of football. NFL, College in other divisions, high school, youth football. But, this one lone division of football people are hesitant.

The regular season will stil mean something. A bye in the playoff is big. Seeding is big. Matchups are big. And if you are Ohio State vs Michigan you still want to be the piss out of each other. you might knock a team out or lower their seeding.

This all reminds me of the neighborhood pick up football games when I was a kid. The older boys would always tell me, “We’ll let you in to play in a few minutes, runt.” They never did.

Last edited:
Sooooo…….if you are that #12 seed, am I correct in stating that you are looking at a 16 game season if you were to run the table? And when in January would that champ game occur?

Sooooo…….if you are that #12 seed, am I correct in stating that you are looking at a 16 game season if you were to run the table? And when in January would that champ game occur?
No, you're not correct in all cases. If the #12 team happens to play in their conference title game (which they likely would most of the time), then let's assume that's Marshall. You play 12 regular season games, a conference championship game, and then 4 more in the playoffs, making it a 17 game season.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I need someone to explain how this is really negative.

Old days before BCS - you could have undefeated Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma. They could all play in different bowl games and win. So the writers and coaches picked a champion, or two if they didn’t agree. Regular season didn’t matter because it really didn’t lead to a true champ.

BCS - top two teams based on the same coaches and writers, along with a few computers play for a championship. Worked generally if there were two, and only two, undefeated teams from the big conferences. Regular season didn’t matter if you were undefeated if you weren’t one of the two.

4 team playoff - unless there were four undefeated conference champs, regular season didn’t matter because you could still lose and get in. Since you never had 4 undefeated teams it just became a negotiation for at least two teams in the committee. Has to be because there are too many similar 1 or 2 loss teams. Plus you would leave out a team like UCF.

The only way to really make it about the regular season is have a tournament with the 10 conference champs. The bottom ranked 4 play and then the remaining 6 are seeded and have a bye.

Only about 9% of teams will make the playoff as now structured. Of course the regular season still matters a lot. You have to be consistently good to be in the top 10% of 131 teams.

Old days before BCS - you could have undefeated Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma. They could all play in different bowl games and win. So the writers and coaches picked a champion, or two if they didn’t agree. Regular season didn’t matter because it really didn’t lead to a true champ.

BCS - top two teams based on the same coaches and writers, along with a few computers play for a championship. Worked generally if there were two, and only two, undefeated teams from the big conferences. Regular season didn’t matter if you were undefeated if you weren’t one of the two.

4 team playoff - unless there were four undefeated conference champs, regular season didn’t matter because you could still lose and get in. Since you never had 4 undefeated teams it just became a negotiation for at least two teams in the committee. Has to be because there are too many similar 1 or 2 loss teams. Plus you would leave out a team like UCF.

The only way to really make it about the regular season is have a tournament with the 10 conference champs. The bottom ranked 4 play and then the remaining 6 are seeded and have a bye.

Only about 9% of teams will make the playoff as now structured. Of course the regular season still matters a lot. You have to be consistently good to be in the top 10% of 131 teams.
They will never do your last scenario. They are not going to give the SEC or Big 10 one seat st the table and the Sunbelt at the table..

In their defense thar scenario would not be the 10 best Teams.

Alabama shouldn’t be able to sniff the playoff this year, that is the problem.

The regular season isn’t diminished, the resume’ compiled during the season puts you in or out.

The biggest flaw is that the playoff should be every conference champion, then at larges. It would take some time, but once all leagues and teams had a shot at the title as it SHOULD always have been, the talent level at G5’s would and parity in CFB would explode.

If Alabama doesn’t deserve it, who would you put in instead?

Right now, who is your fourth team and why? Only Georgia, Michigan and TCU have a bulletproof claim. After watching Ohio State get demolished at home, how would they fair if they played in the SEC west this year?

That’s the problem, there is no objective manner to evaluate teams that share no common opponents. Want to make the regular season really matter? No FCS games and P5 teams have to play at least one non conference P5 road game.

If Alabama doesn’t deserve it, who would you put in instead?

Right now, who is your fourth team and why? Only Georgia, Michigan and TCU have a bulletproof claim. After watching Ohio State get demolished at home, how would they fair if they played in the SEC west this year?

That’s the problem, there is no objective manner to evaluate teams that share no common opponents. Want to make the regular season really matter? No FCS games and P5 teams have to play at least one non conference P5 road game.
Who says Michigan isn’t better than the entire of the SEC West or East?

If you’re not in your Conference Championship game, you don’t deserve a seat in a -4- team playoff. TCU/Georgia/Michigan are safe or should be even with a loss in the 4 team only format. USC losing would open a door for another team, Ohio State, but how the hell can you argue for Alabama with 2 L’s over So Cal with 2 L’s? Both teams Alabama lost to have some serious warts and have lost to teams that are pretty weak. No matter what transpires, Alabama can’t and shouldn’t pass up OSU if shuffling happens based on this weekends results.

Gotta have every conference champion, at larges fill the rest of the spots. I-AA has always done it right and now it’s even better at that level.

I have a hard time believing teams playing for 12 spots instead of 4 makes a regular season less important. During the month of November (1/3 of the season) about 125/131 schools are out of it. I just don’t understand what’s meaningful about that.

Think the playoff ramifications are what made OSU & Michigan exciting? Woody & Bo think that’s hilarious.

How much fun would it be for NC St knowing they solidified their rival, UNC, from making the 12 team playoff? Florida St & Florida could have had playoff importance. Would South Carolina had knocked Clemson out? Oregon St & Oregon? USC & ND? Kansas & Kansas St? The Apple Cup? The Egg Bowl? The Iron Bowl? How “important” were those regular season games with the 4 team playoff? They all would have been important with 12.

Last edited:
Every other level of football has a playoff except the major college level. It is the most resistant and people are the most skeptical for some reason.
No other level of football has two camps who are actively working in separate spheres... If FBS was ever going to have a true 16 team playoff with 10 conference champs and 6 at-large teams, it needed to happen back in the 90's when most of the conferences were still semi-regional and could have remained as such.

In a perfect world, as soon as FBS reached 120 teams, some forward thinking person at the NCAA should have said, "Huh, that would be 10 conferences with 12 teams each. That works for a true playoff."

Once "Committees," Lawyers and TV executives started deciding who was going to be in which league that ship sailed. Now realignment has created the P4, Middle 1 (Big12), G5 format and the P4 don't give a rats ass about the G5, but they know that having a plucky underdog is a fun storyline that will get media play, so they are letting one of the little guys in to "have a shot."

In 10-15 years, after the next TV deal expires (likely 2036), it will probably go to 16 and that's where it will stay for our lifetime. The format will not be all 10 league champs (because with the conferences aligned as they are, it can't be). It will probably be the top 6-7 conference champions and 9-10 at-large teams and the G5 may have a path to get 2 teams in the field. But that's as good as we will ever see.

OK.

If you are trying to have a soul crushing drive to win the championship, and everybody else is a POS, then this is probably OK. Except we already have that, it’s called the NFL.

College football used to be about more than one champion. Winning an unexpected number of games, going to a pretty good bowl, was something teams could reasonably aspire to.

And all this “131 teams” business is so much ho-ha. The G5 gets one token slot. So it’s really half that number. But no, it really isn’t that. Of the P5, three fourths have no real shot. Ever. So it’s 20 or so teams for the 11 real slots. Over and over and over.

And every body else is a POS.

And they will be playing this, along side the NFL playoffs, into late January. Bowl games used to be fun rewards, for the players and the fans. Over the holidays.

You really think Alabama crushing TCU in late January is going to draw people in Phoenix, AZ?

I would suggest you look at the ticket secondary market from even this current playoff, and at the TV ratings. The market liked it the way it was.

There isn't one... It doesn't devalue our regular season games at all, since there is only one route to the playoffs and that is at least 11-1. Once we lose more than 1 game, we are right back to hoping for a SBC title and a regular old bowl bid.

I think what folks are pointing out, is there is not much upside either... In the very very rare year MU might make the playoff, they still have no chance in reality. Beating 4 of the biggest programs in college football is not going to happen. Best the G5 representative can hope for is to pull a round one upset as a 10-12 seed before getting rolled.

As long as the highest ranked G5 can be guaranteed a spot, then I am fine with it.
G5 fans are acting like they can control the P5 or that they are somehow on equal footing...or that the P5 would listen to them.
They aren't, but as long as the CFP upholds their end by allowing the highest ranked G5 into it, then really, that is about as good as one could ask for.

No other level of football has two camps who are actively working in separate spheres... If FBS was ever going to have a true 16 team playoff with 10 conference champs and 6 at-large teams, it needed to happen back in the 90's when most of the conferences were still semi-regional and could have remained as such.

In a perfect world, as soon as FBS reached 120 teams, some forward thinking person at the NCAA should have said, "Huh, that would be 10 conferences with 12 teams each. That works for a true playoff."

Once "Committees," Lawyers and TV executives started deciding who was going to be in which league that ship sailed. Now realignment has created the P4, Middle 1 (Big12), G5 format and the P4 don't give a rats ass about the G5, but they know that having a plucky underdog is a fun storyline that will get media play, so they are letting one of the little guys in to "have a shot."

In 10-15 years, after the next TV deal expires (likely 2036), it will probably go to 16 and that's where it will stay for our lifetime. The format will not be all 10 league champs (because with the conferences aligned as they are, it can't be). It will probably be the top 6-7 conference champions and 9-10 at-large teams and the G5 may have a path to get 2 teams in the field. But that's as good as we will ever see.

The G5 is done for which it expands. They are not going to share that pie. The Mac or sunbelt champion is not getting a slot at that table ans the winner of the SEC west sits at home.

Not gonna happen. They are not giving 5 slots to the G5. Not a chance.

We are headed towards a split between the two .

Reactions: rvntx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT