ADVERTISEMENT

Biden Struggling at the Mic

I did not have that type of experience with the VA for over 30 years

We have a few family friends that work for the VA, including a hospital administrator that is a dear friend.

My concern comes from folks thinking that the private sector has better employees and provide better services.

Something came up in conversation today at work that made me think of this thread and some things that you posted.

I think one of my arguments against a single-payer system also holds true with a monopoly in the private sector. Let's use Walmart as an example. Walmart comes into a market or segment (say grocery) and uses its tremendous buying power to price out the competition. Then when any meaningful competition is reduced or even eliminated, prices can, and often do, go up and services go down.

The difference is in the private sector there can be government intervention because of anti-monopoly laws and/or competition including technology advances. With the public sector there seems to never be any corrective action when a similar situation occurs and the solution to eroding efficiencies and services and the solution seems to be to throw more monies and resources at the situation.

So in theory I am against similar situations in both the public and private sectors. I like healthy competition in both instances. I hope this explanation helps clarify my positions.

We have a few family friends that work for the VA, including a hospital administrator that is a dear friend.

Something came up in conversation today at work that made me think of this thread and some things that you posted.

I think one of my arguments against a single-payer system also holds true with a monopoly in the private sector. Let's use Walmart as an example. Walmart comes into a market or segment (say grocery) and uses its tremendous buying power to price out the competition. Then when any meaningful competition is reduced or even eliminated, prices can, and often do, go up and services go down.

The difference is in the private sector there can be government intervention because of anti-monopoly laws and/or competition including technology advances. With the public sector there seems to never be any corrective action when a similar situation occurs and the solution to eroding efficiencies and services and the solution seems to be to throw more monies and resources at the situation.

So in theory I am against similar situations in both the public and private sectors. I like healthy competition in both instances. I hope this explanation helps clarify my positions.
I certainly agree that competition is very good! The VA does have funds set aside each year to reward and recognize exceptional performance. I’m guessing it is not near as much as the private sector.
I was fortunate to get my job with VA and did receive various recognitions for doing a good job. After basic needs are met, additional money is not the only motivator although no one would complain if it was provided. Public service is a very good thing and but may not be satisfying to everyone. Government employees are scrutinized and evaluated by site visits from program review teams and Inspector generals inside and outside the agencies. They check for quality as well as appropriate application of laws. Recommendations for improvements and corrective actions are often made. Sometimes reviews can reveal illegal activity and can result in termination. These reviews can be precipitated by management or by an employee call to the IG hotline. Waste Fraud and abuse is not an easy thing to get away with in the Federal government. I’m sure there are exceptions.

I certainly agree that competition is very good! The VA does have funds set aside each year to reward and recognize exceptional performance. I’m guessing it is not near as much as the private sector.
I was fortunate to get my job with VA and did receive various recognitions for doing a good job. After basic needs are met, additional money is not the only motivator although no one would complain if it was provided. Public service is a very good thing and but may not be satisfying to everyone. Government employees are scrutinized and evaluated by site visits from program review teams and Inspector generals inside and outside the agencies. They check for quality as well as appropriate application of laws. Recommendations for improvements and corrective actions are often made. Sometimes reviews can reveal illegal activity and can result in termination. These reviews can be precipitated by management or by an employee call to the IG hotline. Waste Fraud and abuse is not an easy thing to get away with in the Federal government. I’m sure there are exceptions.
You honestly believe that waste fraud and abuse aren’t rampant in govt spending? Bridges to nowhere and golden toilet seats beg to differ

You honestly believe that waste fraud and abuse aren’t rampant in govt spending? Bridges to nowhere and golden toilet seats beg to differ
As I said, we have sold them stuff that never gets used. The people never learn to use it. They buy it just because they have money. In the budget got to spend it. Hell, I will take their money. hahaha

As I said, we have sold them stuff that never gets used. The people never learn to use it. They buy it just because they have money. In the budget got to spend it. Hell, I will take their money. hahaha
Hell as a career and tech Ed teacher we get Perkins money we can spend up to $25,000 a year to buy supplies and equipment. I can absolutely guarantee you we have bought stuff just to buy it because we had the money to spend

There is waste, fraud and abuse, mostly through Department of Defense contracts with the the Private Sector.
DOD is the biggest political football because of budget size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT