ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game Projections

Why would you expect ESPN to promote leagues it has no formal television contact with?

Promote? No. Cover? Yes. Back before ESPN got all corporate and thought controling, it just covered the news of sports. It did not care if the game was on ESPN or not. It just told you what was going on.

It is not that way anymore. Of course there are some things so big ESPN has to cover them (NFL playoffs, NCAA basketball tournament, golf majors, Indy 500, baseball playoffs, etc. ) but other than that, if it ain't on ESPN it ain't mentioned on Sports Center (or Gameday or any of its weekday daytime argument shows). When is the last time they mentioned hockey? Of the Fox affiliated Big East basketball, which is right up there, but totally ignored.

And, back in 2014, they never mentioned us. Passed over Cato for their "helmet sticker" deal on College Football Final, never showed a highlight, never mentioned a great storyline.

Until the CUSA championship game (which ESPN owned because the conference office screwed up the contract) and the bowls (which ESPN actually owns, the minor bowls everybody criticizes so much are property of Walt Disney itself).

ESPN is fake sports news.

Last edited:
Unless I’m mistaken, when game day went to Morgantown, didn’t they interview Cato there in Morgantown? I remember WVU fans being really pissed that a Marshall player would steal some of their Gameday Thunder. Did I mis-remember something?

That did happen. Had to have him in the bus because their fans were going to be unruly as hell if he were at the desk (which he apparently was originally supposed to be).

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Have not been wrong yet, so I guess I cannot get tired of it.

Research the posts from that era. ESPN multiple times disrespected Cato and the Herd. Posted about here 1000 times. Never mentioned our scores even.

Fake News. Sad.

Have not been wrong yet, so I guess I cannot get tired of it.

Research the posts from that era. ESPN multiple times disrespected Cato and the Herd. Posted about here 1000 times. Never mentioned our scores even.

Fake News. Sad.
I guess reading is beyond your comprehension. You said "And, back in 2014, they never mentioned us. Passed over Cato for their "helmet sticker" deal on College Football Final, never showed a highlight, never mentioned a great storyline."

Clearly you are either illiterate or supremely arrogant, or both.

New Orleans against a good Sun Belt opponent or the Frisco Bowl (probably in "The Star") would be interesting as well.

The Frisco Bowl is scheduled to be played at Toyota Stadium, which is the home of the MLS team FC Dallas. I believe ESPN Events bought the bowl from the AAC, and then moved it to Frisco last year. It was the Miami Beach Bowl before that. If there is talk of moving it to The Star, I missed that news.

The Frisco Bowl is scheduled to be played at Toyota Stadium, which is the home of the MLS team FC Dallas. I believe ESPN Events bought the bowl from the AAC, and then moved it to Frisco last year. It was the Miami Beach Bowl before that. If there is talk of moving it to The Star, I missed that news.
Toyota Stadium looks nice. I stayed at a hotel across the street from it while at the conference basketball tournament last year. Same plan for this year as well.

What a dope you are. If you know so little about MU as to not know it is a public school, you really should bother other people. Are you 12?
Sam - try being “Silent Sam” the rest of today. It’s Thanksgiving. We all deserve some peace while we settle into our tryptophan buzz...

So you consider an 5 minute segment with Cato, and an intern posting one tweet, the proper amount of coverage the 14 team disserved? And think all of the posts from back then (not by me) were wrong?

Glad to know how little you think of our program.

So you consider an 5 minute segment with Cato, and an intern posting one tweet, the proper amount of coverage the 14 team disserved? And think all of the posts from back then (not by me) were wrong?

Glad to know how little you think of our program.
Do you know what the word "never" means? Based on your previous illiterate and glaringly false posts, I'm guessing no.

Let me clear this up once and for all: If afforded the opportunity, Marshall will ALWAYS pick a Florida Bowl game. Period. Marshall recruits heavily in Florida. It is a warm weather destination. Most importantly, it provides the ONLY opportunity for Florida player’s families to watch them play live. So steer this discussion toward the available Florida Bowls and stop wasting your time on other destinations.

Let me clear this up once and for all: If afforded the opportunity, Marshall will ALWAYS pick a Florida Bowl game. Period. Marshall recruits heavily in Florida. It is a warm weather destination. Most importantly, it provides the ONLY opportunity for Florida player’s families to watch them play live. So steer this discussion toward the available Florida Bowls and stop wasting your time on other destinations.

By this thought maybe every team in the country should only play bowls in FL since many recruit the state heavily as well.
This line of thinking really make me laugh. But It doesn’t shock me.
The players families get to see them play at least once every year when we play at either FIU or FAU.

Reactions: johns_1124

So FAU and FIU are in Idaho now?

disserved

If there miraculously happens to be a single person on this board who gives any amount of credibility to Samantha's posts, this should finally remove that.

The word he was intending to use was "deserved," a very commonly used word in English, a very easily spelled word, and one that the average sixth grader could spell.

He thought it was spelled "disserved."

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
Maybe I can clear this (Self-Serving) post up a little.

Let me clear this up once and for all: If afforded the opportunity, Marshall will ALWAYS pick a Florida Bowl game. Period. Marshall recruits heavily in Florida. It is a warm weather destination.

"Marshall recruits heavily in Florida"

I agree 100%, and by looking at the success recently; maybe we should branch out a little.

"It is a warm weather destination."

And Herd Insider is freezing his a$$ off in Huntington and cannot afford to go anywhere else.

"So steer this discussion toward the available Florida Bowls and stop wasting your time on other destinations."

Because of the reason above!

Look you go to a Bowl for Recognition and Branding. The more places you take Marshall Football the better. Take it to the Pacific NW, New England, Texas; does not matter it's about getting the name out there (or some cases Re-Branding). Kids want to go to a school who gets the most national exposure to be recognized by NFL scouts. MU has Alum everywhere. In fact, almost 1/2 of all students live over 100 miles from the campus. You need to take the Herd brand everywhere. Makes it easier to recruit later.

Personally, I don't give a $hit of a local fan can travel to Texas to watch MU play in a Bowl. The recognition in the Mid-West, East Coast, or where ever MU plays is far more beneficial then the loss of one fan who can't afford to travel.

"Most importantly, it provides the ONLY opportunity for Florida player’s families to watch them play live."

Really? That's one arrogant statement assuming that most players families won't go or can't afford to go see their son play at a NCAA Div I level. Believe me they probably go to at least one or two.

Last edited:
If there miraculously happens to be a single person on this board who gives any amount of credibility to Samantha's posts, this should finally remove that.

The word he was intending to use was "deserved," a very commonly used word in English, a very easily spelled word, and one that the average sixth grader could spell.

He thought it was spelled "disserved."
On a related note, we had key lime pie for desert on Thursday.

We recruit Florida heavily. While, yes, there are players from all around on our team, and most teams, part of college football is you have a recruiting base, and Doc's is Florida. Even the very largest teams clearly have a recruiting base. Except for the service academies, of course.

The idea that playing before 70,000 empty seats in New Orleans or Dallas is going to suddenly going to cause kids to want to play here, over the, generally far closer, schools at our level that use those places as recruiting bases, shows a lack of understanding of how the whole process works.

All this is born of a desire to see nothing good in this program. Whatever bowl we go to will be criticized, and by the same posters, no matter what.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The idea that playing before 70,000 empty seats in New Orleans or Dallas is going to suddenly going to cause kids to want to play here, over the, generally far closer, schools at our level that use those places as recruiting bases, shows a lack of understanding of how the whole process works.

Not the idea of playing in a empty arena, it's the competition and the TV interest is what you are looking for. What will draw more viewers vs. a MAC or Sunbelt ; AAC or MW. Current projections MU vs Boise will get a lot more interest then MU vs Georgia Southern.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
You're right, it was related. Samantha can't spell "deserved." You can't spell "dessert."
I’m sorry you didn’t catch the sarcasm in my post. Next time, I’ll be a bit more obvious to you by typing (sic) after it. I thought it would ruin the joke if I did, but I thought you would have figured that out given the context of what the topic was.

I’m sorry you didn’t catch the sarcasm in my post. Next time, I’ll be a bit more obvious to you by typing (sic) after it. I thought it would ruin the joke if I did, but I thought you would have figured that out given the context of what the topic was.

Your post about "on a related note" was sarcasm? No, it was you saying my correction of Samantha was unrelated to the discussion. That isn't sarcasm.

Your comment about having eaten key lime pie may not have been the truth, which you misidentify as sarcasm, but that wasn't what you were called out on, now was it?

Your post about "on a related note" was sarcasm? No, it was you saying my correction of Samantha was unrelated to the discussion. That isn't sarcasm.

Your comment about having eaten key lime pie may not have been the truth, which you misidentify as sarcasm, but that wasn't what you were called out on, now was it?
Look Rifle, all I am saying is that “desert” was intentionally misspelled just to illustrate your point, not to contradict it.

i was just speculating that it would be at The Star with the game in Frisco and The Star having enough seating to host a game. FC Dallas has a nice stadium so the atmosphere would still be good if the weather is decent.

True, but we have started to recruit Louisiana a lot more in the last couple of classes. New Orleans wouldn't be a bad option at all to get in front of recruits against what should be a good Sun Belt opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT