ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Projections

Going into the last week of the regular season and some interesting scenarios being projected:

ESPN: Schlabach: Frisco Bowl vs. UCF
ESPN: Bonagura: First Responder Bowl vs. TCU
Sports Illustrated: No update posted yet
USA Today: Bahamas Bowl vs Miami (OH)
Stadium: McMurphy: Texas Bowl vs Oklahoma State
Sporting News:
Bahamas Bowl vs Miami (OH)
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: Frisco Bowl vs SMU
24/7Sports: First Responders Bowl vs Buffalo
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Athlon Sports: Birmingham Bowl vs SMU
CollegeFootballNews.com: First Responder Bowl vs TCU
Thanks for always posting these.

Reactions: mubaseballking
I think we’d beat Buffalo, possibly little Miami. The others, yeah, we aren’t playing those because we’d probably get beat.
I dunno - I say we take on the toughest opponent possible. #1 we might get motivated and surprise
#2 maybe we need to get our asses kicked as part of the shift away from Doc.....

Bowl streak ends this year, any of those teams will wax this squad

I don't know. You have games against teams like FAU where IG is actually playing decent it's one thing, other games (Boise) he seems handcuffed, in others Charlotte and UC he doesn't do anything right. It's hard to put the finger on the problem. IG is consistent as all hell, but is that because He is or someone play calling making him inconsistent (or look that way). I feel it's a combination of both. With that said a few teams on that list I could see MU beating on a good day and providing the playbook stays open.

After the end of the regular season and going into Championship Weekend.

ESPN: Schlabach: First Responder Bowl vs Western Michigan
ESPN: Bonagura: New Mexico Bowl vs San Diego State
Sports Illustrated: Gasparilla Bowl vs Florida State
USA Today: Frisco Bowl vs SMU
Stadium: McMurphy: First Responder Bowl vs Eastern Michigan
Sporting News: Birmingham Bowl vs Liberty
24/7Sports: First Responders Bowl vs Kent State
Athlon Sports: Independence Bowl vs Miami (FL)
CollegeFootballNews.com: First Responder Bowl vs Western Michigan

Some interesting projections, especially against Florida State, Miami and San Diego State.

I would hope that MU and CUSA will do everything they can to avoid a match up against Liberty, Kent, and EMU.

Some interesting projections, especially against Florida State, Miami and San Diego State.

I would hope that MU and CUSA will do everything they can to avoid a match up against Liberty, Kent, and EMU.

Obviously take FSU and Miami.
Despite their records and status currently, they are still a very recognized brand name.

Its one thing to brag about beating an Illinois team in a bowl game, it goes much further when its FSU or Miami, someone with, still, a history.

So, 11 projections and just about 11 different scenarios. I say wait til Sunday and see how things pan out.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
More and more predictions this morning are putting us in Dallas against the Mighty Mac. Not compelling at all.
Hope I'm wrong, but it's starting to look like Dallas or NM is where we will end up.

I just heard, barring some last minute horse trading, the most likely destination is Dallas... That was in the last hour from someone who would be making the trip.

If it is in Dallas, I may be able to make it as I will be in Little Rock at that time.

As in playing in the First Responder Bowl as it's hosted and played at SMU?

Or the Dallas area? Like as in Frisco to play in the Frisco Bowl?

Or is Fort Worth still in play to play in the Armed Forces Bowl?

Brett McMurphy's projection has Marshall vs UCF in the Gasparilla Bowl. Hmmm. I'm not sure about that match up for The Herd.

Playing Tulane in the Frisco Bowl would be a better match up for MU.

Brett McMurphy's projection has Marshall vs UCF in the Gasparilla Bowl. Hmmm. I'm not sure about that match up for The Herd.

Why not? Yes take that game. Consider it a audition for Doc not to get fired. He seems to do well in Bowls when he has time to prepare. If he makes it a game or wins, he wins the last year of his contract. We play flat like the team has given up. Then he should be gone!

Last edited:

Playing Tulane in the Frisco Bowl would be a better match up for MU.

I would love to see us play UCF. It would be a high quality opponent and it would also show that we can be relevant at a high level in G5 play. It would also be our chance to get a high quality win for this year. Lastly it would help lessen the stench of the Cincinnati debacle and could lead to a good couple of crowds next year vs Boise and Pitt. Beating some low level MAC team or Sun Belt team outside Appy State does not do that.

Reactions: Carolina Cat
Looks like there is a lot of last minute trading going on. We may get a better match-up than we think. We have a reputation for traveling well, but interest is definitely down this year...

Why not? Yes take that game. Consider it a tryout for Doc not to get fired. He seems to do well in Bowls when he has time to prepare. If he makes it a game or wins, he wins the last year of his contract. We play flat like the team has given up. Then he should be gone!

A winner takes all situation? I kinda like the sound of that. Win and you stay, lose and you pack up your office.

Reactions: johns1124
We're gonna get dickstomped. Oh well, it's been so long since UCF beat us that at least it's getting our asses kicked by someone fresh.

John's bowl record ends this season, unless he pulls out a miracle. If he DOES happen to beat UCF, then it makes his fvckups this year even less acceptable.

Cue MR'05feetTall with his, "why are you guys calling him John tho?" post.

If there is anything to be learned, it's that no one knows where we're going and who we will play.

True. These bowl projections, and the similar basketball brackets that start appearing in mid-January (not that MU will have to worry about basketball for another two or three decades) are just click-bait.

But, there is another thing we have learned. All these keyboard warriors that were so certain that “John” and “Hammy” were going to take the easy path with a 4th or 5th place team from the lowly MAC or Sun Belt, did not know what they were talking about, and own DOC and MIKE an apology.

True. These bowl projections, and the similar basketball brackets that start appearing in mid-January (not that MU will have to worry about basketball for another two or three decades) are just click-bait.

But, there is another thing we have learned. All these keyboard warriors that were so certain that “John” and “Hammy” were going to take the easy path with a 4th or 5th place team from the lowly MAC or Sun Belt, did not know what they were talking about, and own DOC and MIKE an apology.
Neither had any choice in our opponent or venue, As Hamrick said yesterday, the bowl committees don't even talk to the schools anymore. Only the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT