ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl projections...

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
These are meaningless, but always fun to see where the media thinks we may go... Here are a few I've seen this morning.

Bahamas Bowl (played this year in Charlotte due to stadium renovations on the island) -- Marshall vs. Northern Illinois
Bahamas Bowl -- Marshall vs. Bowling Green
Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit -- Marshall vs. Eastern Michigan
Camelia Bowl -- Marshall vs. Rice

At 6-6, beggars can't be choosers, and playing in Charlotte would be an easy drive for a lot of our fans. It's also a Saturday time slot on Dec. 16, which is a bonus.

Charlotte and Myrtle Beach flipped dates I believe….
The Office Yes GIF

So here's a new one for you all who have unlimited resources and like destination Christmas'...

ESPN is projecting -

Hawaii Bowl (Dec. 23) - Marshall vs. San Jose State

I can't see any way this matchup would benefit either side, the bowl, or ESPN/tv.

So here's a new one for you all who have unlimited resources and like destination Christmas'...

ESPN is projecting -

Hawaii Bowl (Dec. 23) - Marshall vs. San Jose State

I can't see any way this matchup would benefit either side, the bowl, or ESPN/tv.
ESPN benefits by whomever plays in the bowl. It’s bowl season and most of us will watch a crappy football game over anything else.

At some point, we prob have to fall on that sword. Our well heeled fans will still attend….
But - would be great for team, cheerleaders & band (?)!

Now that would be a matchup to get behind... Even in Detroit.

Any time we can play a beatable P5 team we need to advocate for that, and there would be some notoriety because Minnesota is the only 5-7 team to make a bowl game (there is one spot to fill, and Minnesota has the highest APR/graduation rate among 5-7 teams)
Plus, another Big 10 win for MU?
Absolutely.

Reactions: Marshall-21
Zero desire to play the one and only 5-7 team in a bowl.

Hawaii football has been playing "temporally" at its practice field, which it claims holds 15K, all bleachers, which it really is not quite that big. Bowl game is there as well. Big political issue to build a real stadium, which Hawaii doesn't really draw enough to justify, the bowl doesn't either, and the Pro Bowl left long ago and isn't really even played anywhere anymore.

ESPN outright OWNS all of these bowls and could not care less about the matchups nor the live gates. It just assigns teams based on timeslots. Given our position, we will get one of the worst timeslots.

Zero desire to play the one and only 5-7 team in a bowl.

Hawaii football has been playing "temporally" at its practice field, which it claims holds 15K, all bleachers, which it really is not quite that big. Bowl game is there as well. Big political issue to build a real stadium, which Hawaii doesn't really draw enough to justify, the bowl doesn't either, and the Pro Bowl left long ago and isn't really even played anywhere anymore.

ESPN outright OWNS all of these bowls and could not care less about the matchups nor the live gates. It just assigns teams based on timeslots. Given our position, we will get one of the worst timeslots.
You'd rather play 6-6 Eastern Michigan in Mobile?

Agreed that Hawaii is a mess and should to be hosting a bowl this year (or probably any year).

ESPN is trying to get as many people to watch the games they have control over as possible. Putting MU in the 10 p.m. eastern time slot against a not great San Jose State team, with no fanbase, makes no sense. Unless it's just a straight up sacrifice of a game to get rid of two 6-6 G5 teams, but even then, Texas State, Georgia State, ODU, etc make more sense than us do to their "extremely limited" followings.

I doubt we'd fly to Hawaii for a bowl game, unless the bowl comped all expenses.

VPI was the worst it has been in 3 decades. Just awful.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. No one cares if we beat a losing team field filler Minnesota, which would not do anyway.

I dont know about that... People still talk about beating Maryland... And a bad Purdue team... And a bad VT team this year.

Beating any P5 team matters.
Only one of those was a bowl game and it was a decade ago. At the end of the day the number of fans that remember bowl games is few and far between. What did we get for that "big" win. It didn't bring us any notoriety or anything of real benefit. You and others just got the feels for beating a mediocre Maryland team

Only one of those was a bowl game and it was a decade ago. At the end of the day the number of fans that remember bowl games is few and far between. What did we get for that "big" win. It didn't bring us any notoriety or anything of real benefit. You and others just got the feels for beating a mediocre Maryland team
I remember the Ole Miss and BYU games. Ole Miss because it was our first and BYU because of our great team and the utter beatdown we gave them. The others, nothing.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I was just speaking to the ones I attended. But you're right, Mobile was incredible - no question!
I did attend it, but had caught food poisoning the day before, and even with the help of my Dr. brother (who had driven over from Mississippi) was on shaky ground at kickoff. Things went from bad to worse on the gridiron and while waiting for something hot to drink before halftime, the damn Pirate cannon went off……twice! I looked at my brother & made the call to leave. I mean, 38-8? There’s no way we’re coming bac…….

• Sad
Reactions: marshallsig
I remember the Ole Miss and BYU games. Ole Miss because it was our first and BYU because of our great team and the utter beatdown we gave them. The others, nothing.
I'm not arguing that you or anyone else doesn't remember bowl games. My argument is the majority of fans don't recall or really care who we played in the random weekday before Christmas bowl.

Yes. And Sammy would have been disappointed.
How stupid you sound.

Why would any Marshall fan be disappointed in winning? (which begs the two questions, "why would any true Marshall fan accept the media version of 'mops for props'"? and "why would any true Marshall fan be unhappy with winning games, no matter the conference"?)

Which leads me to believe that you are just a troll. Probably a Spamite.

Assuming you are not a troll, I want Marshall to win every game. Its just that I realized, from game one, that this was a bad football team. You responded with name calling, childish memes, emojis, etc. Because you had nothing to respond with that makes any difference. Because I was right, and you were wrong. That simple.

Its not that I, or any of the realistic posters, "want" MU to lose. No, the opposite is true. We just know enough about sports to realize what a train wreck this program is.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

At least its a new opponent... Kind of like the year we played Colorado State

Cant imagine many folks jumping onboard to make that trip though.
USU played JMU pretty tough earlier in the season.

Because I have first-hand awareness of what was occurring......
So you are a felon, involved in a conspiracy to defraud the NCAA and all of the other programs in it. You had "first-hand knowledge" of crimes, and did not report them.

Right. And this just comes up today.

I am the uncrowned king of Romania.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT