Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
WR Tyre Brady

40 – 4.74/4.77
Vertical – 29 ½ inches
Broad – DNP
Pro bench (225-pound reps) – DNP

Saw this posted to Herdfans. If that is true he may have just killed his draft. Is he hurt? No way that Brady is that slow.

Wow that's not good. That will drop him in the draft. Maybe 4th Rd or 5th Rd guy now.

Reactions: WV_Celt
During the combine there was a receiver(can't remember his name) that ran in the 4.6 range, but they were walking about how he has a 2nd gear and looked alot faster that guy than had better 40 times during the deep ball drills.

40 Speed and game speed are two different things.

During the combine there was a receiver(can't remember his name) that ran in the 4.6 range, but they were walking about how he has a 2nd gear and looked alot faster that guy than had better 40 times during the deep ball drills.

While what you're saying is relatively correct. 4.74 and 4.77 aren't going to be explained away as track speed vs game speed. Especially with a player from a G5 team. Now if his time was 4.5-4.6 then yea. 4.7 and higher for a WR is horrible and is going to cause a lot of teams to pass.

I'm saying he's hurt something which caused him to not run at the combine and hurt his time yesterday. You go back and watch the NCST game from last season. Brady is not a 4.77 guy.

Shuler ran a 4.73 at his pro day and I think most would agree that Brady is much faster than Shuler.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Surely a 40 yard dash time is not the only thing they consider

Surely a 40 yard dash time is not the only thing they consider
It absolutely isn’t. But when you’re an outside WR who runs like a blocking TE, it’s concerning. It’s like if an interior lineman benched as much as an outside LB. Whatever you put on tape better be consistent play that can out weigh the measurable/testing shortcomings.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
It absolutely isn’t. But when you’re an outside WR who runs like a blocking TE, it’s concerning. It’s like if an interior lineman benched as much as an outside LB. Whatever you put on tape better be consistent play that can out weigh the measurable/testing shortcomings.

This and you were already considered a mid to late rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Hammond
I don't know. Call me not entirely shocked. I was expecting a slow 40 time from him (maybe not this slow). But other than that NC state game 2 years ago, when did he ever really run wild ?

Most of his catches were back shoulder throws, over the top "Moss"ings. And he had some spectacular ones. But it seemed like more often than not he had the DB on his hip. He wasn't gaining a lot of separation.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Just shows you how much these times in high school and college are exaggerated. When people are going to pay you money, perhaps lots of it, you are not going to fudge the numbers.

I don't know. Call me not entirely shocked. I was expecting a slow 40 time from him (maybe not this slow). But other than that NC state game 2 years ago, when did he ever really run wild ?

Most of his catches were back shoulder throws, over the top "Moss"ings. And he had some spectacular ones. But it seemed like more often than not he had the DB on his hip. He wasn't gaining a lot of separation.

Honestly though. Don't we say this every year since Doc has been here? We're always wondering why Dobson, Allen, McManus, Clark, or Brady can't get separation.

I expected high 4.4s to low 4.5s. Not no darn 4.74/4.77.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Honestly though. Don't we say this every year since Doc has been here? We're always wondering why Dobson, Allen, McManus, Clark, or Brady can't get separation.

I expected high 4.4s to low 4.5s. Not no darn 4.74/4.77.

Ah it always comes back to being Docs fault guys aren’t fast. I remember the Snyder years... boy our receivers couldn’t be stopped! 4.2 guys every one of them!

By the way Dobson ran a not no darn dagburn 4.37 40 at his proday.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Ah it always comes back to being Docs fault guys aren’t fast. I remember the Snyder years... boy our receivers couldn’t be stopped! 4.2 guys every one of them!

He recruits them. So...

Dobson. Ran. A. 4.37. 40 time. Michael. Clark. Ran. A. Sub. 4.6. 40. What. Part. Of. This. Are. You. Not. Getting.?

I'm just pointing out that year in and year out that has been said about _______WR. Whether it's our expectations vs reality or the system. Wasn't really assigning blame. Just pointing out we always seem to say that.

Personally I thought Brady had good separation for the most part. The bowl game last year, WKU this season, and fhe bowl game this year show good examples of what he had.

I still believe he's hurt something and his time suffered.

And I’m just saying that has nothing to do with Doc. That has to do with fans and the way they act/say about these guys. It’s far more about the people “close to the program” who try and win a popularity contest on forums by saying things like “I heard ____ ran a 4.4 40” thats not Docs problem that’s the fans problem. I agree it seems to happen a lot. But I remember similar stuff happening back with Pruitt. There would be a new recruit and we would always hear “he’s gonna be the next guy” and sometimes he was great. A lot of times in the later years he wasn’t. It’s the nature of fandom.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Ah it always comes back to being Docs fault guys aren’t fast

We're sorry Doc, forgot you posted on here.

In all seriousness, just stop right now, because this won't end well. It will just become another age old battle between those with a brain and the Doc Apologists who claim nuthin' is ever his fault.

We're sorry Doc, forgot you posted on here.

In all seriousness, just stop right now, because this won't end well. It will just become another age old battle between those with a brain and the Doc Apologists who claim nuthin' is ever his fault.

I’m not a “Doc apologist” I think there is plenty that he can do better.

Improving a kids 40 time isn’t really his job.

Reactions: pdbailey
I've seen Brady play too many games to believe he is a legit 4.7+ guy. How many times do you recall anyone catching him in the open field? If he usually ran in that range, every corner in CUSA would catch him.

I've seen Brady play too many games to believe he is a legit 4.7+ guy. How many times do you recall anyone catching him in the open field? If he usually ran in that range, every corner in CUSA would catch him.

That's not a bad point. But how many times did we see him in a genuine foot race? Seems like most of his nice catches were jump balls, backshoulder, etc. just the way I remember it anyway.

I'm open to you being right though. A 4.77 guy is going to be standoutishly slow. But if he's injured I'd think you'd want the whole world to know, shouldn't be a secret at this stage.

It's interesting to see the difference in speed and quickness, however. Brady ran a 4.25 in his 20 yard shuttle, which was at least average range at the combine.

DK metcalf on the other hand, who everybody was fawning over with his 4.3 40, ran a 4.5 shuttle. 4th from worst among all receiver.

@BleedsGreen33 you have every single Herd Football game recorded since like 96. Pull up one of the games from this past season and see if there's a play where you can try and time an open run of 40 yards, if you can find one where he got clean separation.

@BleedsGreen33 you have every single Herd Football game recorded since like 96. Pull up one of the games from this past season and see if there's a play where you can try and time an open run of 40 yards, if you can find one where he got clean separation.

I love the absolute statements of he "NEVER" got separation. Forgetting as you see in a lot of these throws the ball was thrown behind him. I will post some more but here is a senior reel with timestamps of times he got good separation.

1:26
2:00
3:12
3:25
3:30
3:38
4:05
4:12

:30
;36
:44 burns secondary
1:20
1:32
2:00 burns secondary
2:44 burns secondary
2:48 burns secondary
3:20

Now these are just a few examples and they completely debunk that he "can't get separation". Does he house every pass no. When you look at them objectively you can see that a lot of what could have been deep balls were killed by badly thrown balls. Just watch @NCST and the bowl against CSU. Brady has plenty of speed.

There is now way that Brady is a 4.7 guy. At worst he's in the high 4s. I think he's hurt and that is why he didn't run at the combine. I think he tried to make a go of it at Pro Day and he couldn't make it happen. That or he has either been extremely lazy since the season ended or his trainer did something horribly wrong.

Pull up one of the games from this past season and see if there's a play where you can try and time an open run of 40 yards,

Tell me this request is a joke.

Now these are just a few examples and they completely debunk that he "can't get separation".

I went to your first four examples and none of them come anywhere close to supporting either side of this. They are simply clips showing Brady about to catch a ball at the end of his route in which he got behind the defense. Does that mean he is faster than everyone in the secondary? Of course not. Many of the defenders are running backwards in coverage while Brady is running forward. Clearly, the defender isn't going to keep up. You have no idea what coverage they are playing. All of these examples have far, far more to do with defenders being out of position, not getting to a spot in time, taking a bad angle, etc. than any of them have to do with a defender being out ran by Brady.

I believe Blackie was looking for clips that show Brady and a defender both running at full speed in which Brady separates from the defender showing him to be faster. Simply watching the last two seconds of a deep route doesn't show that. Watching Brady be physical and get behind a CB who isn't running forward, as Brady is, doesn't show that.

Reactions: HerdFan73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT