ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the game a second time...

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
So I fired up the DVR and rewatched the mess from Saturday night... Here are some observations.

1. Two short clips were very telling... In the second half, there were two shots of our sidelines, about 7 seconds total that seemed "concerning." The first was three of our offensive linemen, standing in a circle talking, one shaking his head in disgust, one literally doing the hands up shoulder shrug like he didn't know what was going on, and the other laughing hysterically. Not a good look... The second clip was after we got called for delay of game after a timeout and you can see Colombi looking to the sidelines shaking his head in disbelief as one of our coaches is giving him signals (which apparently came in too late to get the dang play off). We looked like a clown show while getting beat.

2. I can't remember ever seeing an offensive lineman play as poorly as #52 did on Saturday night. I've been around football for 30 years and it was an awful performance... Consistently beat off the snap, multiple penalties, multiple sacks allowed, overall terrible. Im sure he's a nice kid, but man o' man was he bad Saturday. The line overall was garbage, so maybe it wasn't all his fault... Maybe we need a real offensive line coach and not a substitute we have canned previously?

3. Our offensive game plan was scary bad... We reverted back to the Cramsey, slow developing, read option playbook where the QB never keeps the ball. Laborn is a hell of a back, and he does everything he can. Why can't we keep running the plays that worked the first two weeks? Also, teams have figured out we can't throw downfield (Colombi can't and Fancher apparently isn't trusted enough to try throwing downfield). There were plays where Troy had all 11 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. No reason to move the safeties deeper if we can't/won't throw it more than 10-12 yards in the air.

4. The defense played its rear ends off... A couple of blown coverages hurt, but overall, the defense was very good. Starting the game down 7 because of a fumble return is not an enviable position and they went the rest of the game giving up just 9 points. Consistently stopped the run and got pressure on the QB. If you hold a team to 16, you should win that game every time.

5. It' time reevaluate what this season is... I am assuming we will beat Gardner Webb at home. But looking at the rest of the schedule, we will be a certain underdog to JMU, App, Coastal and Louisiana. Making a bowl game is definitely not a lock at this point. That has to be the goal... We need the extra postseason practices and prep this year more than ever.

So I fired up the DVR and rewatched the mess from Saturday night... Here are some observations.

1. Two short clips were very telling... In the second half, there were two shots of our sidelines, about 7 seconds total that seemed "concerning." The first was three of our offensive linemen, standing in a circle talking, one shaking his head in disgust, one literally doing the hands up shoulder shrug like he didn't know what was going on, and the other laughing hysterically. Not a good look... The second clip was after we got called for delay of game after a timeout and you can see Colombi looking to the sidelines shaking his head in disbelief as one of our coaches is giving him signals (which apparently came in too late to get the dang play off). We looked like a clown show while getting beat.

2. I can't remember ever seeing an offensive lineman play as poorly as #52 did on Saturday night. I've been around football for 30 years and it was an awful performance... Consistently beat off the snap, multiple penalties, multiple sacks allowed, overall terrible. Im sure he's a nice kid, but man o' man was he bad Saturday. The line overall was garbage, so maybe it wasn't all his fault... Maybe we need a real offensive line coach and not a substitute we have canned previously?

3. Our offensive game plan was scary bad... We reverted back to the Cramsey, slow developing, read option playbook where the QB never keeps the ball. Laborn is a hell of a back, and he does everything he can. Why can't we keep running the plays that worked the first two weeks? Also, teams have figured out we can't throw downfield (Colombi can't and Fancher apparently isn't trusted enough to try throwing downfield). There were plays where Troy had all 11 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. No reason to move the safeties deeper if we can't/won't throw it more than 10-12 yards in the air.

4. The defense played its rear ends off... A couple of blown coverages hurt, but overall, the defense was very good. Starting the game down 7 because of a fumble return is not an enviable position and they went the rest of the game giving up just 9 points. Consistently stopped the run and got pressure on the QB. If you hold a team to 16, you should win that game every time.

5. It' time reevaluate what this season is... I am assuming we will beat Gardner Webb at home. But looking at the rest of the schedule, we will be a certain underdog to JMU, App, Coastal and Louisiana. Making a bowl game is definitely not a lock at this point. That has to be the goal... We need the extra postseason practices and prep this year more than ever.
Fair assessment, overall. I would, though, hesitate to read my own thoughts and interpretations into sideline conversations and communications. I can't tell you how many times fans and reporters have misconstrued my words or intentions. You may be right, but I won't commit to that based on a silent movie.

I continue to be amazed that either of our OTs are starting a D1 football game. Yes, they are both fine young men but I can't stress enough how athletically challenged they are. ND never dialed up an edge rush (I'm assuming they have one). We plodded forward and let Laborn do the rest. Our opponent's game plans the past two weeks have identified and exposed this liability. Our 6'7" guard is a better athlete than our tackles but that is admittedly a low bar. I don't know much about the other two on the OL but they remind me a bit of Cain Madden - better at pushing a plie than getting to the next level or pass pro. Not giving up on this group yet but I also don't know if there is enough time left in the season for them to mature as a group. Whoever (Legge?) is coaching them now, I wish him luck.

Making a bowl game is definitely not a lock at this point. That has to be the goal...
I don’t see that happening without major improvements.

Because only one I-AA win counts, we have to go 7-5 to get to a bowl. We should beat G-W easily. After that? Who do we play that should not be a major favorite? Georgia State, maybe?

1. I ABSOLUTELY HATE that crap where we walk to the line then step back and look to the sidelines for a call to come in. It's the dumbest thing in college football. Wasn't Rich Rod that started that and picture boards? Not only does DoG calls happen far too often it also takes momentum from a drive and allows the defense to figure you out too. What made us so good in 2014 was that Cato had 4 plays he could run each down and he made the final decision.

2. Was he worse than Adams was against Rice in 2020?

3. The staff evidently treated ND like a bowl game. We played with house money and went straight at them at every position. For some reason we scrapped that. WRs are back to waiting on passes, DBs are lost again, the pass game is no longer pushing the ball forward, and the coaches are in a panic.

5. It's hard to tell. It's going to depend on where the players are at mentally. Huff needs to make it a goal to attempt to pound G-W as hard as we can. No taking the foot off in the 2nd half like we did with Norfolk.

We need to allow the players to take their frustrations out on an opponent that should be a punching bag and putting up a big score could return confidence back within the team. He also owes it to the fans to put on a show. They should anyways in these games, but after the last two weeks the fans that show up deserve to be entertained from start to finish.

1. I ABSOLUTELY HATE that crap where we walk to the line then step back and look to the sidelines for a call to come in. It's the dumbest thing in college football. Wasn't Rich Rod that started that and picture boards? Not only does DoG calls happen far too often it also takes momentum from a drive and allows the defense to figure you out too. What made us so good in 2014 was that Cato had 4 plays he could run each down and he made the final decision.
The sequence of our final two plays of the game are their own coaching blooper reel... Like que the Benny Hill music bad.

3rd and 18... We throw a 3-yard pass and gain 5 yards.
4th and 13... After a timeout we take a delay of game (After a damn timeout!)
4th and 18... The game on the line, we have to gain 18 yards somehow, there should be no option where the ball doesn't travel 18 yards in the air... We throw a 5 yard pass in the flat and get immediately tackled.

The sequence of our final two plays of the game are their own coaching blooper reel... Like que the Benny Hill music bad.

3rd and 18... We throw a 3-yard pass and gain 5 yards.
4th and 13... After a timeout we take a delay of game (After a damn timeout!)
4th and 18... The game on the line, we have to gain 18 yards somehow, there should be no option where the ball doesn't travel 18 yards in the air... We throw a 5 yard pass in the flat and get immediately tackled.
The last point is why I hate a lot today's college football offenses. Most are not equipped to gain big plays. You see that throw short on long down and distances far too often kn Saturdays.

For the life of me I will never understand why so many coaches have fallen in love with swings and screens being their primary options. I know that last play was neither, but it's still a product or having an offense where the majority of your playbook is short to intermediate passes.

Having a back like Laborn just begs got play action. However that is sadly a lost art. Instead we're gonna throw axreens to the short side where they have numbers and lose yards.

I miss the days of Chad and Byron pushing the ball downfield.

1. - Noticed those things as well. Sad.

2. - Both tackles were outgunned in nearly everyway except size. They could not get leverage on those smaller DEs of Troy and were seriously out-quicked.

3. - You can't throw the ball hardly anywhere if the opponent is in the backfield immediately, much less throw it downfield.

I can't even imagine watching that game a 2nd time. The first time was painful. Watching it a 2nd time get you out of doing something with the wife or what? Has to be an ulterior motive to watching that game again.
Haha... I had time after church and before the Ravens game on Sunday. Had a cup of coffee and got through it pretty quick. DVR means no commercials or halftime. You can rewatch a whole game in less than two hours.

well obvioulsy you didnt watch the RT.

Reactions: RhinoD and JudgeDD
Oh I did, and he was also not good... The difference was Troy was overloading that side and we were not wise enough to slide the protection that way. Troy would put two guys (DE/OLB) outside #56's right shoulder, bring them both, he would block one and the other would run free to the QB. Happened several times and we never figured it out (whether the center didn't call the right protection, the QB didn't switch the RB to the right side to protect, or we simply didn't recognize it as a blitz at all, we missed it multiple times).

Oh I did, and he was also not good... The difference was Troy was overloading that side and we were not wise enough to slide the protection that way. Troy would put two guys (DE/OLB) outside #56's right shoulder, bring them both, he would block one and the other would run free to the QB. Happened several times and we never figured it out (whether the center didn't call the right protection, the QB didn't switch the RB to the right side to protect, or we simply didn't recognize it as a blitz at all, we missed it multiple times).
or we didnt lay a hand on anyone....

Haha... I had time after church and before the Ravens game on Sunday. Had a cup of coffee and got through it pretty quick. DVR means no commercials or halftime. You can rewatch a whole game in less than two hours.
I always rewatch the home games after I get home.

The word is out that we can't hold the pocket long enough for WRs to get downfield. ND did not adjust and press up to take away our short stuff. BG and Troy did. I think we need to get under center with a lead back to run between the tackles which plays to the strengths of our big OL. Then we can work off play action and try to get that extra second in the pocket.

I agree that #52 was the worst I have ever seen against Troy. The only other contender was #52 last week against Bowling Green. Dude is just getting abused in pass protection.

Reactions: RhinoD

At least healthy anyways. I believe it as Adams back in 2020 in that Rice meltdown where he blocked about as well as a screen door on a submarine. In his case though he was so hobbled by his injury history he just couldn't move.

Reactions: RhinoD
I can't even imagine watching that game a 2nd time. The first time was painful. Watching it a 2nd time get you out of doing something with the wife or what? Has to be an ulterior motive to watching that game again

must have been given a choice, want to be kicked hard in the balls 5 times or rewatch the game from saturday.

• Haha
Reactions: marshallisqbu
Even Tom Brady [GOAT] would be beaten up with no offensive blocking. Colombi is getting murdered when he receives the ball from his shotgun position. NO O-blocking whatever!!

My observation (from my recliner) is The HERD needs to run the ball at the opposition and hit them in their mouths. That's what happened @ ND and the media noticed & ranked (AP) Marshall at # 26.

Hard for me to understand you have one of the Nation's elite backs in Laborn and he is not getting the football late in the games. For the love of John Marshall Laborn was the Doak Walker back of the week after The Herd's win in South bend.

Time to hitch up our big boy pants and try to salvage the 2022 season. The road gets really tough starting in October-November!

We Are......................................................................

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
So I fired up the DVR and rewatched the mess from Saturday night
Reminds me of this:
Bike-Fall.jpg

Colombi throws the ball short even when he has time. It didn't just start the last two games. He simply has not shown the skills to make all the throws you would expect a FBS QB to be able to make.

I made the point after the Notre Dame win how limited Colombi's abilities looked. Some fans wanted to ignore the obvious lack of downfield throwing ability because we beat Notre Dame but that issue was still there.

The word is out that we can't hold the pocket long enough for WRs to get downfield. ND did not adjust and press up to take away our short stuff. BG and Troy did. I think we need to get under center with a lead back to run between the tackles which plays to the strengths of our big OL. Then we can work off play action and try to get that extra second in the pocket.

I agree that #52 was the worst I have ever seen against Troy. The only other contender was #52 last week against Bowling Green. Dude is just getting abused in pass protection.
That fkn clown is about as useful as rubber lips on a woodpecker, man.

I think it's time for a QB change in Huntington. Our graduate student QB left his game at Texas Tech! What's up with ALI...is (he in or out).....Time for QB2 & perhaps Chad's son needs some live action!

A friend told me to add this.....

There is no reason that, during this bonus time off, there can’t be a QB evaluation among the 4 others on the roster! Pick one and send them out there. Keep it simple, but see how they react to live game pressure, how they go through their reads and can they rally that unit to achieve like they’re supposed to!
Red shirting is gone the way of the dodo. No sense saving anybody for the future!
Go Herd!!!

My current running theory is Columbi has gotten dinged and his throwing arm has a minor injury. The coaching staff knows this, but cannot tell the media. He therefore cannot throw the deep ball and reaggravate it. They have adjusted the offense to allow short throws and let the players do the YAC. We have struggled with that, as there are 10 players in and around the box. Fancher can throw it but, is inaccurate. The younger guys can likely throw it, but do not know the offense well enough. Give that time. I'd say C. Pennington is in his sons ear telling him to learn that playbook, itll get you on the field, quick. Thus, our defense is keeping us in the game and season til we get it figured out. Columbi's highlights and stats from his last team prove he can throw it.

There is no reason that, during this bonus time off, there can’t be a QB evaluation among the 4 others on the roster! Pick one and send them out there. Keep it simple, but see how they react to live game pressure, how they go through their reads and can they rally that unit to achieve like they’re supposed to!
Red shirting is gone the way of the dodo. No sense saving anybody for the future!
Go Herd!!!
Here is the problem for everyone wanting to throw a true freshman in the deep end...

Lets say we pick one of the three true freshmen and we run them out there next week. Burn the red shirt, no big deal, we have plenty of them.

If you pick one of the three now and anoint them as the starter -- The other two will be in the transfer portal as soon as the final whistle blows this season. Unless there has been a clear "winner" among the 3 already, and the coaching staff knows who they want to go with for next year and beyond, there is no reason to play any of them barring an injury to Fancher.

Eat it this season, hope to make a bowl game, and have a 4-man wide open QB competition come the spring with Fancher, Pennington, Zamora and Harrison.

Go Herd!!!
Everyone keeps saying to keep it simple. Have you watched the offense since ND. It doesn't get much more simpler.

My current running theory is Columbi has gotten dinged and his throwing arm has a minor injury. The coaching staff knows this, but cannot tell the media. He therefore cannot throw the deep ball and reaggravate it. They have adjusted the offense to allow short throws and let the players do the YAC. We have struggled with that, as there are 10 players in and around the box. Fancher can throw it but, is inaccurate. The younger guys can likely throw it, but do not know the offense well enough. Give that time. I'd say C. Pennington is in his sons ear telling him to learn that playbook, itll get you on the field, quick. Thus, our defense is keeping us in the game and season til we get it figured out. Columbi's highlights and stats from his last team prove he can throw it.
He really wasn't throwing deep before then either. Take away the one 30 or so yard TD to Gammage at ND that was called back and most of his throws are short to intermediate.

Here is the problem for everyone wanting to throw a true freshman in the deep end...

Lets say we pick one of the three true freshmen and we run them out there next week. Burn the red shirt, no big deal, we have plenty of them.

If you pick one of the three now and anoint them as the starter -- The other two will be in the transfer portal as soon as the final whistle blows this season. Unless there has been a clear "winner" among the 3 already, and the coaching staff knows who they want to go with for next year and beyond, there is no reason to play any of them barring an injury to Fancher.

Eat it this season, hope to make a bowl game, and have a 4-man wide open QB competition come the spring with Fancher, Pennington, Zamora and Harrison.
Fancher needs to be moved to WR. He ain't the future.

I'd start Fancher the rest of the way and find out about him and if the season is over, play the freshman last 3 games

Reactions: 19MU88
I'd start Fancher the rest of the way and find out about him and if the season is over, play the freshman last 3 games
I don't think they know how to use Fancher. He looked pretty good against Norfolk in the roll outs, but since then he's looked like has no business being behind center. Trickett needs to use his athleticism more. Run some option with he and Laborn.

I go back to how Solich used Tettleton. They just did the same thing over and over with him. You roll him out. If the defense runs up to stop him he dumps it over to the TE or WR that has leaked behind and if they drop back for the pass he runs for the first. They did that and slant passes against us over and over and over again.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I don't think they know how to use Fancher. He looked pretty good against Norfolk in the roll outs, but since then he's looked like has no business being behind center. Trickett needs to use his athleticism more. Run some option with he and Laborn.

I go back to how Solich used Tettleton. They just did the same thing over and over with him. You roll him out. If the defense runs up to stop him he dumps it over to the TE or WR that has leaked behind and if they drop back for the pass he runs for the first. They did that and slant passes against us over and over and over again.
Fancher hasn't been developed 1 iota since arriving here. Damn shame too because he has good raw skills. I also don't expect the frosh to be any better than what we see on their hs film

Fancher hasn't been developed 1 iota since arriving here. Damn shame too because he has good raw skills. I also don't expect the frosh to be any better than what we see on their hs film
Does he or is he just an exceptional athlete?

It's possible, but given the state of the QB development dept, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt
It's sad but any QB prospect that is a "raw" talent needs to steer clear of Marshall because they are doomed to fail here.

Reactions: HerdGreen
I hope the frosh are getting trained outside of Marshall somehow. A year of inactivity is a year of regress
No RS QBs get any on field development during the season. It's mostly film and mental reps. Your starter gets the majority of the practice reps and the backup gets some too. There's just not enough time for anyone that doesn't have a chance of playing during the game to take reps away from those that actually need to prepare for the game.

Freshman need to be in weight room and the playbook.

No RS QBs get any on field development during the season. It's mostly film and mental reps. Your starter gets the majority of the practice reps and the backup gets some too. There's just not enough time for anyone that doesn't have a chance of playing during the game to take reps away from those that actually need to prepare for the game.

Freshman need to be in weight room and the playbook.
I've spoken to Zamora and he's stays after practice and Sundays throwing with practice squad wrs. They should have a development process for qbs during the season apart from lifting. The smart ones pick up the playbook pretty quickly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT