ADVERTISEMENT

Burdette following Caldwell

Bottom line is that she is gone. Having hurt feelings are childish. I doubt any of you would have passed on the money/job.
I have the feeling she wasn't UT first choice based on quickly UK and a couple of other schools filled their positions. Will she be a Billy Donovan or a Stan Parish? But at this point, it is time to move.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
😀Actually Aaron I agree with you more than you would guess.
It makes my stomach turn the amount of love that she gets on here and herd fans and Facebook. I mean we have had players leave after playing here 4 years that got more crap for leaving than she does.

I’ll also never get over the hypocrisy of Marshall fans. If people like you, you can do whatever but if you aren’t anything you do is horrible. This is just the latest example of Marshall fans turning a blind eye to anything KC does by taking a coach that there were people that wanted her to be the head coach with KC gone.

My loyalty is to Marshall period. If KC would have came here and coached 3 years and had similar success and turned that into a big time job I would have thanked her profusely for what she did and wished her well. I still wouldn’t care about how she did in her next job but I would hold no ill will to her.

I keep looking for anything that showed appreciation to Marshall giving her a shot or for MU hiring her husband into a job that that head coach didn’t want him. All I see is players leaving, she takes her top assistant. In her press conference at UT she acted like she had been their coach for 10 years.

I really hope Coach Huff has a great year and some P5 plucks him to hear all the BS on here about he’s wanted to get out of here since he got here.

Show appreciation to Marshall? It’s not like we’re the only d1 school that would have hired her. WVU wanted her too.

Would I have liked at least 1 more year? Absolutely.

But she’s not taking with her the Regular Season champ trophy, the Conference Tourney Champ trophy, nor the NCAA tournament banner. That’s appreciative enough for me.

That’s more than most coaches would have given us in 3 years or 5 years or 10 years even.

It’s like some people would have been more happy had she came in and went, 15-15, 20-10, then had the season we just had in year 3. When she leaves after year 3, we’re still in the same spot.

We all need to get over this fantasy of program building. That’s a relic of the past. I hate it. But it is.

With transfer portal and NIL, it’s year to year and that’s all college sports will ever be now till something changes. So her leaving now or year 3 changes nothing.

And the reality is, I’m guessing with her Husbands situation there’s probably many High Major jobs she would have passed on. But I don’t know what In the world else you all would have her do? She went from making a nice living, to her family being set for life within 5 years.

I’m on record as saying there’s no way in hell she’d get that job. But she did. And Tennessee Volunteers in women’s BBall is not a job more than a HANDFUL of coaches could say no to.

Now do I give a $hit how she does once she gets down there? Hell no. But it’s such a come up that I can’t even be mad about this one. And I’ll call shenanigans on anyone in here who says they’d pass up an extra $2.5 million over the next 5 years for Marshall (with even more top end potential). And most of us WENT to Marshall.

What some of you aren’t getting is I’m not begrudging her. I’m begrudging our fans who are gigantic hypocrites. KC is a hero and Coach Huff and our players who left for NIL money are scum bags.

I think most people are recognizing that she’s actually leaving behind major hardware.

My gut feeling is that Coach Kim will not be successful at Tennessee. I just can't see her system consistently winning in the SEC. One would think they will have much better guard play that can dribble through the press more often than not, and will not be able to create the turnovers that make it work. I wish Coach Kim no ill will, just can't see it working out there for her. Lord knows I've been wrong plenty of times before though.

I am mainly bitter because her system did work here. I thought we would dominate the SBC in women's basketball for the next 5-6 years. Now, not only did we lose our coach, we are losing our roster. SMH, back to square one. It's ok as a fan to be bitter about that.

I also understand she wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Maybe after few years the other SBC teams adjust and her system isn't quite as effective? If she really wanted the money, then she better go get it while she can.

Last edited:
Show appreciation to Marshall? It’s not like we’re the only d1 school that would have hired her. WVU wanted her too.

Would I have liked at least 1 more year? Absolutely.

But she’s not taking with her the Regular Season champ trophy, the Conference Tourney Champ trophy, nor the NCAA tournament banner. That’s appreciative enough for me.

That’s more than most coaches would have given us in 3 years or 5 years or 10 years even.

It’s like some people would have been more happy had she came in and went, 15-15, 20-10, then had the season we just had in year 3. When she leaves after year 3, we’re still in the same spot.

We all need to get over this fantasy of program building. That’s a relic of the past. I hate it. But it is.

With transfer portal and NIL, it’s year to year and that’s all college sports will ever be now till something changes. So her leaving now or year 3 changes nothing.

And the reality is, I’m guessing with her Husbands situation there’s probably many High Major jobs she would have passed on. But I don’t know what In the world else you all would have her do? She went from making a nice living, to her family being set for life within 5 years.

I’m on record as saying there’s no way in hell she’d get that job. But she did. And Tennessee Volunteers in women’s BBall is not a job more than a HANDFUL of coaches could say no to.

Now do I give a $hit how she does once she gets down there? Hell no. But it’s such a come up that I can’t even be mad about this one. And I’ll call shenanigans on anyone in here who says they’d pass up an extra $2.5 million over the next 5 years for Marshall (with even more top end potential). And most of us WENT to Marshall.
I have at least 5 posts where I said I have nothing against her taking the job. Nowhere on here do I say this. Yes she should take a job that gives her that kind of money.

For the 700th time in my posts on this thread my problem is Marshall fans are acting like that it was a hard decision, the only reason she did it was because it was UT. They act like she’s a hero. She is no different from coach huff or the kids we have lost in the portal who did it for the money and that’s it. That’s why she left Marshall. She would have taken any offer from any P5 that would have given her that money. She’s not a hero, she’s just a coach who completely used Marshall to immediately get her next step. Which is absolutely fine. Good for her.

But don’t sell me this crap that she’s any different from any other coach. She took an assistant that could have been our next coach, we have lost kids in the portal including one of our best returnees and she didn’t sign anybody. Does that sound like somebody who gives a crap about Marshall?

The WVU comparison is silly if WVU would have offered her the job she would gave taken it. She didn’t choose Marshall over WVU. The coach they hired almost ruined the Caitlyn Clark Women’s Tournament by beating Iowa in the round if 32. I’m sure they aren’t regretting their decision.

I have at least 5 posts where I said I have nothing against her taking the job. Nowhere on here do I say this. Yes she should take a job that gives her that kind of money.

For the 700th time in my posts on this thread my problem is Marshall fans are acting like that it was a hard decision, the only reason she did it was because it was UT. They act like she’s a hero. She is no different from coach huff or the kids we have lost in the portal who did it for the money and that’s it. That’s why she left Marshall. She would have taken any offer from any P5 that would have given her that money. She’s not a hero, she’s just a coach who completely used Marshall to immediately get her next step. Which is absolutely fine. Good for her.

But don’t sell me this crap that she’s any different from any other coach. She took an assistant that could have been our next coach, we have lost kids in the portal including one of our best returnees and she didn’t sign anybody. Does that sound like somebody who gives a crap about Marshall?

The WVU comparison is silly if WVU would have offered her the job she would gave taken it. She didn’t choose Marshall over WVU. The coach they hired almost ruined the Caitlyn Clark Women’s Tournament by beating Iowa in the round if 32. I’m sure they aren’t regretting their decision.
Why are you so upset? What’s it to you if a majority of the fan base feels differently than you do?
And the Huff comparison is so apples to donuts. Kim had already proven herself as a HC for 7 seasons prior to accepting the MU opportunity. Huff had 0 (zero - zip, zilch, nada) HC experience before being given an opportunity to learn on the job.
And, believe it or not, people like some coaches more than others! I never once heard Kim throw the fans under the chartered jet. She connected with the fan base from the instant she was introduced, and continued building that relationship the entire time she was here.
It’s your prerogative to be upset, but quit trying to convince the majority to become upset. We’re not - get over it.

For the 1 millionth time nobody cares she took the Tennessee job. What my issue is the hero worship that people have on here and other social media, The MU job was nothing more than what Huff thinks it is or any other young coach that we have had. She was looking to get out the minute she stepped on the Henderson center court.

Do you think UT recruited her? Of course not they looked at the big names first and when they couldn’t get them they looked at coaches who showed interest. She let it be known she was interested whether through her agent a search firm whoever and they interviewed her and the AD really liked her. There is a large part of there fan base who like her but don’t understand why they would hire somebody with 1 year of DI experience.

So basically she behaved exactly like Huff. Looking to get out as soon as she got here. Huff was vilified and KC is put on a pedestal. Before anybody says but it’s UT, all P5 head coaches in football make 7 figures. Dukes coach makes 3.5 million per year.

We have people gushing I’m going to follow Tenn now. Why? Because she was our head coach for less than a year. Do you think if she’s successful they will mention Marshall at all?

Let’s look at your hero.. She comes to Marshall and announces it’s her dream job she gets Marshall to hire her husband. She took our top assistant and we have already lost one of our top returning players to the portal. I’m not aware of anybody she signed for next season. So she basically leaves the WBB program in the dump. But that’s OK.

KC is an opportunist looking for the next big job to make her money and there is nothing wrong with that. Just stop acting like that if it wasn’t UT she wouldn’t have left. There is zero chance that if any P5 would have given her that contract that she wouldn’t have taken it.

she brought this on herself with the things she said when she came here. You don’t have to say it’s your dream job. You don’t have to say it’s great to be able to stay in WV. You don’t get a school to hire your husband. She chose to do all of this.

So good for her she’s just like everybody else, she doesn’t give a crap about Marshall and she used us to get a fat P5 job and make big bucks. Good for her but I hope all you hypocrites remember it the next time a player enters the portal strictly for money or another coach leaves after 1 year as our coach after 7 years in D2.
You really think that TN women’s bball was turned down by all these other big name coaches? Come on man.

Yes, and it happened in this instance as well.

Some on here act as if these top level ADs are clueless......that they need a PR firm or agency to promote their next head coach for them......nonsense!

Even Spears says he keeps index cards of potential coaches that he would contact if an opening occurred. He said it last spring on a local sports show. He stated he is constantly changing that list due to other openings and what-not. All ADs have to be prepared for when a head coach leaves. That is a huge part of that occupation. White at UT has a track record of hiring good coaches. He isn't a novice.

Caldwell didn't leave for Northwestern or Boston College or Georgia Tech. She left for one of the name programs in women's basketball with one of the more storied coaches. She also went to a school that will have resources. You don't wait around at Marshall for four or five years to see if that job opens back up. It is foolish to even entertain that type of thinking just because you have your green-and-white goggles strapped on your face.

And I have also seen where people compare this to Stan Parrish or George Chaump. NOPE! Parrish left Marshall for one of the worst programs in the country.....a team with no history of success. He jumped at the first opportunity to go to a Division 1A school. Bad mistake on his part! Chaump tried to install a pro-style offense at a military academy. It didn't work. Caldwell is going to a big-name program for women's basketball.

What is the problem in the hopes that she does well? It shows future potential candidates for a women's coaching job here that you can come to Marshall and have a gateway to possibly going to an elite program. Good. That paves the way for Marshall to get the best possible candidates to apply for coaching positions. Some of us are tired of some of these "lifetime coaches" that certainly start to get lazy with many functions of the head coaching position the longer they are here. Some of us are tired of the coaches that say in a round-about way "hey, mediocrity isn't so bad" or "hard to win at Marshall or Huntington".

Yes, it does look like she bled the program. But she let our admin know when she was interviewed that she primarily recruits JUCOs and transfers. That has always been her philosophy. I doubt seriously that she told 4 players to hit the transfer portal. The next coach will need some time. But had Caldwell remained here, our chances of getting some quality JUCOs and transfers would have been much better than the past few years.

I am glad for Kim and this opportunity. She came to Marshall in year one and showed the fanbase here that you don't have to accept all the excuse talk and lame excuses and lazy coaching that other coaches show. She won two championships in year one. She had a player of the year in year one. She had a tournament MVP in year one.
Perfectly said

You are assuming she would have left for any P5 job. You are assuming that Jenna would have had a shot at the job.

How do you know that Spears might have said no to her getting it and that is why she left? I am not saying that is the case at all. I do not know and neither do you.

You are making assumptions one side of the coin and complaining that people are making assumptions on the other side. We don’t know either way.

And for the record , know the Burdette family well. I knew her dad when he was in junior high. For personal reasons I was hoping she would get the job.

Bottom line is you can’t criticize KC for taking her. You don’t know what went on behind the scenes. You don’t know if Spears said no. You don’t know if she was offered it and said no, thinking more time as an assistant at TN, would lead to better jobs down the road.

You don’t know and I don’t know. No one knows the actual facts.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
all i know is the program is left gutted. I don't blame her for taking the UT job. The only question is, was one title and a $600,000 buy out worth it.

all i know is the program is left gutted. I don't blame her for taking the UT job. The only question is, was one title and a $600,000 buy out worth it.
God yes. Getting a $600K check for our athletic department via something related to WBB is maybe the biggest financial win in the history of Marshall athletics.

God yes. Getting a $600K check for our athletic department via something related to WBB is maybe the biggest financial win in the history of Marshall athletics.
I agree and I think most do. If women's bb tanks, most can live with that too. If Falks wins, all will be on board, if not it will just be like the last few decades.

Some of the "money" FB bookings would be in that conversation.

In the longer view, making a women's sport a break-even or perhaps a revenue sport would be worth more than $600k.

Coach Fulks is going to play a more conventional (in other words, less entertaining) style of ball. If her teams win big, maybe people will start to show up. But, without the entertainment factor, I'd expect "crowds" in the hundreds until she wins very big. WBB will be a money loser in the near term.

You are assuming she would have left for any P5 job. You are assuming that Jenna would have had a shot at the job.

How do you know that Spears might have said no to her getting it and that is why she left? I am not saying that is the case at all. I do not know and neither do you.

You are making assumptions one side of the coin and complaining that people are making assumptions on the other side. We don’t know either way.

And for the record , know the Burdette family well. I knew her dad when he was in junior high. For personal reasons I was hoping she would get the job.

Bottom line is you can’t criticize KC for taking her. You don’t know what went on behind the scenes. You don’t know if Spears said no. You don’t know if she was offered it and said no, thinking more time as an assistant at TN, would lead to better jobs down the road.

You don’t know and I don’t know. No one knows the actual facts.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Some of the "money" FB bookings would be in that conversation.

In the longer view, making a women's sport a break-even or perhaps a revenue sport would be worth more than $600k.

Coach Fulks is going to play a more conventional (in other words, less entertaining) style of ball. If her teams win big, maybe people will start to show up. But, without the entertainment factor, I'd expect "crowds" in the hundreds until she wins very big. WBB will be a money loser in the near term.

ANY coach, that makes women’s basketball exciting enough To be profitable , is a coach that is not going to be around long at all but a handful of school.

Take money off the table. It’s not a factor. Women’s sports are going to lose the school money, period. Not even complaining , it just is what it is.

So the only thing worth caring about is Hardware and banners. She brought them and Both sides benefited from the relationship

Had she went 15-15, 20-10, THEN 26 and 7 with a Reg season title and a NCAA appearance and then left for a better job, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

We just cut out the crap. Why is that worse?

Last edited:
ANY coach, that makes women’s basketball exciting enough To be profitable , is a coach that is not going to be around long at all but a handful of school.

Take money off the table. It’s not a factor. Women’s sports are going to lose the school money, period. Not even complaining , it just is what it is.

So the only thing worth caring about is Hardware and banners. She brought them and Both sides benefited from the relationship

Had she went 15-15, 20-10, THEN 26 and 7 with a Reg season title and a NCAA appearance and then left for a better job, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

We just cut out the crap. Why is that worse?
I agree...but I'm hypothesizing that the style of play would attract more fans going 15-15 and 20-10 than it would with a more conventional style with the same records.

At Marshall, money IS a factor. If WBB can break even, that is a pretty big deal. IF the UT coach had been retained, and KC been around for another season or two, WBB makes a few dollars, probably more than $600K.
Here's a question that could be asked of Spears and Smtih:
Would you rather have KIm Caldwell or $600K added once to the budget?

Anybody who believes that KC leaving is a net positive is fooling themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree...but I'm hypothesizing that the style of play would attract more fans going 15-15 and 20-10 than it would with a more conventional style with the same records.

At Marshall, money IS a factor. If WBB can break even, that is a pretty big deal. IF the UT coach had been retained, and KC been around for another season or two, WBB makes a few dollars, probably more than $600K.
Here's a question that could be asked of Spears and Smtih:
Would you rather have KIm Caldwell or $600K added once to the budget?

Anybody who believes that KC leaving is a net positive is fooling themselves.
Since we’re “hypothesizing”:
The idea that anyone believes wbb is going to break even with a 1000 or so more butts in seats is really fooling themselves. But - $600k probably puts the program on the + side for a while. Now, none of us know the actual dollar cost for this program. But leaving 💵 aside, the impact of KC’s lone season with Team One (her words) is already being felt by the hiring of JF, who most likely doesn’t even return our call w/o what Kim accomplished here.
An important side note that not many probably have pondered:
Just how remarkable is it that Abby, entering her 2nd and final season of DI eligibility, is not listed as being on any of the pre-season all-conference teams, then proceeds to blow everyone off the court to grab p.o.y. honors?
Did she just get leaps & bounds better? Or was she inspired by a coach who is able to bring out the best from her players?
And therefore:
Is it any wonder KC was able to blow the UT search committee away with her interview?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT