ADVERTISEMENT

But why?

These statements are right up there with other things you just never hear:
“Hand me that pipe organ.”, “Please gnaw my arm off.”, and, “This is an AWESOME 14-14 basketball team!”

This is top quality.

giphy.gif

I choose to be happy with the football team as long as they are putting forth a good effort unlike the basketball team is doing.I prefer not to make myself miserable comparing us to teams that played two decades ago.I wish we could duplicate that record as well ,but I do not see that happening.

Marshall has won more games than any other team in CUSA the past 5 seasons combined. I know some of you only judge greatness by winning a conference championship, but it's not like these players aren't winning games.

Only speaking for my own self but they dont hang banners and order rings for regular season wins.....

That's not true. There have been publications which have looked at star rankings and what it means in terms of college success and making the NFL. 4 and 5 star high school recruits fare far better in succeeding in college and in making NFL rosters than 2 and 3 star recruits.

That doesn't mean that a 3 star kid can't end up having a better college/pro career than a 5 star kid, but the chances are overwhelmingly in favor of the 5 star kid . . . and that isn't because he went to a certain camp or played at a certain high school, but rather, because he is a better player as the rankings reflect.

A big part of this recruiting "success" is being able to take non-qualifiers. It doesn't matter if these rankings do or don't take into consideration the NQs that Marshall takes. The ability to know you can take them gives you a huge advantage in recruiting kids.

As we know, if a kid doesn't qualify, Marshall has a solid chance of landing him because of their ability to take unlimited NQs. Many other schools don't take a single one or have a very small limit on them. Just as important, there are plenty of kids on the bubble who end up qualifying. Those kids who are on the bubble academically? Many schools stopped recruiting them months ago. Schools that have a policy against taking them or have staffs that don't want to deal with frequent headaches that come along with kids who do awful academically don't want to waste their time recruiting kids who may not be allowed into school. That gives schools like Marshall a huge advantage in that they can keep recruiting you the entire way knowing that they can take you regardless of what happens. It isn't just the ability to take NQs that is a huge advantage; the ability to keep recruiting borderline kids who end up eligible is just as much of an advantage.

It's too bad Marshall couldn't keep this kid in Huntington. Their own city has had some very highly rated offensive lineman over the last few years who Marshall hasn't been able to get. Compare that with fellow G5 schools like Houston who have been able to keep 4 and 5 star kids home:

https://247sports.com/Player/Darnell-Wright-46035563/

Unless I missed your point..
.WHY would Darnell WRIGHT enroll at Marshall when he will play in front of 100,000 + fans at Tenn and perform in the SEC?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

I put that on a staff. How do you supposedly recruit a kid for months/years, spend time at his school talking to coaches, teachers, administrators, and other students, spend significant time getting to know him and his family, do at least one school/home visit, and still not have any red flags that would lead you to believe he'd pack up and leave so early?

I agree with you...the Earth is falling.....

HerdZilla22

Last edited:
Jaquan Webb was originally committed to play football at Ole Miss and was a highly rated 3-star (4-star on ESPN) by most of the recruiting sites. He decommitted from Ole Miss due to the internal issues they had going on there and we were able to get him in for an OV and signed him. My recollection is that he got homesick or didn't like it much in Huntington and decided to go back home to Ole Miss to run track. Note, he is from Oxford, MS and also had a track scholarship offer from Ole Miss.

Our only issue in 2018 was that we didn't have a replacement at QB that was as good as Litton was in 2017, just as Litton wasn't an adequate replacement for Cato from 2015-2017. Green has the potential to get to Cato's level of play, but our offense was inconsistent in 2018 due to the inconsistent play of Green and Thomson. Other than this, our only other problem was a couple of season ending injuries to key players.

I hope I will end up eating crow
...but I am not impressed nor do I believe Green is The Herd's future or present (for that matter) to get Marshall to & WIN a CUSA football title game.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Marshall has won more games than any other team in CUSA the past 5 seasons combined. I know some of you only judge greatness by winning a conference championship, but it's not like these players aren't winning games.

We once had a football coach that said....."WE PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS!".
.....and Marshall enjoyed some of the best football in America and sent several guys to the Pros each year. Not the case since BP was replaced by Snyder & Holiday....

One CUSA Title under Doc (2010---Present). The Herd seems to lose games they should not (ie...MTSU on a Friday night last season or our annual loss to So Miss)...derailed any hopes of playing for "The Belt."

Herdzilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview
Big deal. Marshall should be winning more championships in this conference.

AGREE with your comments. Marshall is
the name-brand school of any current CUSA members--- and they should be "in the hunt & dominating" CUSA FOOTBALL annually. Nothing less is acceptable!

The closest member in football success to Marshall....... is So. Mississippi. Some of the schools (ODU -2012 & Charlotte-2015) were not Division 1 football members and UAB & the Florida directional schools were second thoughts! Rice had some football history, however, they had NOT been to a bowl game since 1961 when they received an invitation in 2006...ending the second-longest bowl drought in the country at the time.

NO EXCUSE for Marshall not being in the Title Game every year....Strong recruiting base in Florida aided by Props.

HerdZilla22

That's called winning the battle, but not the war.

And Doc's winning percentage has been discussed in detail on here. Outside of a very respectable bowl record, most of Doc's wins have been against teams which finished with losing records.

So were most of Pruett's.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
.....Pruett's wins were dominated with teams with winning records in 1-AA, and the transition to 1-A (MAC Championships)...do you recall the 15-0 season and a NATIONAL ranking at #10?

You need to do better research before "beating your drums." Are you related to the crazy Cortez women from NY---that wants to eliminate AIRPLANES?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview and Sash19
I don't like Pruett whatsoever, but you spelled his name WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Rejected JOSH....
that hurts coming from your Non-JRN writing ass! I'm sure PRUETT loses sleep that the Great Josh does not like him.

You are deplorable!

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte (Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications (1970)

I hope I will end up eating crow...but I am not impressed nor do I believe Green is The Herd's future or present (for that matter) to get Marshall to & WIN a CUSA football title game.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
We'll see. Green has the highest ceiling of any QB we have signed during the Doc Era and that includes Cato and Litton.

AGREE with your comments. Marshall is the name-brand school of any current CUSA members--- and they should be "in the hunt & dominating" CUSA FOOTBALL annually. Nothing less is acceptable!

The closest member in football success to Marshall....... is So. Mississippi. Some of the schools (ODU -2012 & Charlotte-2015) were not Division 1 football members and UAB & the Florida directional schools were second thoughts! Rice had some football history, however, they had NOT been to a bowl game since 1961 when they received an invitation in 2006...ending the second-longest bowl drought in the country at the time.

NO EXCUSE for Marshall not being in the Title Game every year....Strong recruiting base in Florida aided by Props.

HerdZilla22
You are clueless when it comes to football.

We'll see. Green has the highest ceiling of any QB we have signed during the Doc Era and that includes Cato and Litton.

I’d disagree.

You give me the choice between Litton and Green out of HS, not knowing what we know now, and I’d take Litton all day every day.

I’d disagree.

You give me the choice between Litton and Green out of HS, not knowing what we know now, and I’d take Litton all day every day.
I think Green can be Cato II if he works at it. Litton just never put the work in to be good. At least good enough to win games for us in the clutch.

Why don't you like Pruett?

I just hadn’t had time to respond.

The guy prospered off Donnan’s foundation and players (for the most part).

Did he win games? Sure he did, but he also did so with what was likely a D1 roster in D2 for the most part. With that said, I don’t recall schools lining up to steal him away from Marshall following his success here (which is something you all constantly preach about Doc). Why was that? Could it have been that they were aware of the cheating he was doing?

Then, he left the program in arguably the worst shape it’s been in since the late 80’s. I’d argue that Snyder had a bigger mess to clean up than Doc did (which was still a disaster when you look at the program as a whole).

Beyond all of that, he topped it off by coordinating an attempted mutiny of the program as well as the whole “96 team was treated wrong” BS.

So yeah, you could say that I don’t care for the guy even though I enjoyed the 90’s.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

Did he win games? Sure he did, but he also did so with what was likely a D1 roster in D2 for the most part. With that said, I don’t recall schools lining up to steal him away from Marshall following his success here (which is something you all constantly preach about Doc). Why was that? Could it have been that they were aware of the cheating he was doing?

Then, he left the program in arguably the worst shape it’s been in since the late 80’s. I’d argue that Snyder had a bigger mess to clean up than Doc did (which was still a disaster when you look at the program as a whole).

Beyond all of that, he topped it off by coordinating an attempted mutiny of the program as well as the whole “96 team was treated wrong” BS.

So yeah, you could say that I don’t care for the guy even though I enjoyed the 90’s.
Well, to say you don't like a guy are pretty strong words. I thought maybe he had done something personal to you.

The records speak for themselves and I believe he did have a job offer at Houston. Marshall never played D2. And, I am not sure how he road Donnan's coat tails after year 4. Frankly, he had some really good teams. Won more championships and more games. I don't recall suffering too many humiliating home losses either.

But, oh well. I think you are more caught up in the fact people compare Doc to him.

Well, to say you don't like a guy are pretty strong words. I thought maybe he had done something personal to you.

The records speak for themselves and I believe he did have a job offer at Houston. Marshall never played D2. And, I am not sure how he road Donnan's coat tails after year 4. Frankly, he had some really good teams. Won more championships and more games. I don't recall suffering too many humiliating home losses either.

But, oh well. I think you are more caught up in the fact people compare Doc to him.

I-AA is what I meant, but you knew that.

I didn’t care for Pruett long before Doc was around so that really has nothing to do with it.

Did he win games? Sure he did, but he also did so with what was likely a D1 roster in D2 for the most part.

What? Look at his record while in the MAC from 1997-2003. That was 1-A vs. 1-A. You act like his success was only in 1-AA. Completely inaccurate. And it wasn't like he just dominated the MAC. He beat Clemson, South Carolina, Louisville, Cinci, BYU, and was competitive against UNC, Michigan State, wvu, etc.

With that said, I don’t recall schools lining up to steal him away from Marshall following his success here (which is something you all constantly preach about Doc). Why was that? Could it have been that they were aware of the cheating he was doing?

You simply don't know what you are talking about.

The head coaching salary discrepancy between schools wasn't as big then as it is now. He had plenty of opportunities to leave for more money, but he wasn't going to leave for a small increase, and that is all the market was at that point.

Then, Houston offered him a $1 million annual salary in 1999. Want to know how big of a deal a $1 million annual salary was for a college head coach in 1999? In 1999, the same year Pruett was offered $1 million, Bob Stoops was hired at OKLAHOMA . . . for $700,000. Pruett was offered 43% more than Oklahoma's head coach was making!

Want to know how big of a deal a $1 million salary was? The following year, while Stoops was killing it on the field on the way to the national title game, Oklahoma doubled his salary to $1.4 million. That made Stoops the third highest paid coach in the country.

Four years later, in 2004, the salaries started to surge with 23 head coaches making $1 million or more per year.

Pruett wasn’t alone in that mutiny but somehow you fail to always mention that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT