ADVERTISEMENT

But why?

Looking at the schedule this year we should win 11 or 12 games. That is a cherry picker low fruit schedule .

Looking at the schedule this year we should win 11 or 12 games. That is a cherry picker low fruit schedule .

I mean, what are you basing that on?

It’s freaking February 25th and you think we should basically go undefeated.

This is a serious question.

Reactions: Ninegate

I am basing it on my expectations of the program.

VMI-Really?

Boise State-Hard Game. Loss probably. Far travel, blue turf, and they are good

Ohio-Home- We should never lose to Ohio U at home

Cincy- Home- We are at home. Could be a tough game. But, Cincy at home Marshall should win

Every other game is a CUSA game and we should have a chance to win. Charlotte, Rice, Middle Tenn on the road. Not exactly murderer's row. The rest of them at home.

Looking at that schedule, Boise State is the only loss I can really chalk up because of the travel.

The rest of them we are favored or stand a really good shot at winning.

At one time this program could have been sleep walking and won 10 games with that schedule.

I see 11 games on that schedule we could win. One Loss. Count a bowl win and that is 12.

There you go. I have higher expectations. this 7 or 8 win bull malarkey doesn't cut it .

That schedule is easssy peasssy.

Reactions: cottrell75
Furthermore, Mr Stowers. No P 5 teams on the schedule. More home games than away games. Looks like the toughest games are at home, except Boise St on the road. FAU on the road, but we can win it.

There should be no excuses. This is tailor made for a big year.

Stop listening to all the excuses coming out of the Shewey or wherever you hear them. That has big season written all over it.

I am basing it on my expectations of the program.

VMI-Really?

Boise State-Hard Game. Loss probably. Far travel, blue turf, and they are good

Ohio-Home- We should never lose to Ohio U at home

Cincy- Home- We are at home. Could be a tough game. But, Cincy at home Marshall should win

Every other game is a CUSA game and we should have a chance to win. Charlotte, Rice, Middle Tenn on the road. Not exactly murderer's row. The rest of them at home.

Looking at that schedule, Boise State is the only loss I can really chalk up because of the travel.

The rest of them we are favored or stand a really good shot at winning.

At one time this program could have been sleep walking and won 10 games with that schedule.

I see 11 games on that schedule we could win. One Loss. Count a bowl win and that is 12.

There you go. I have higher expectations. this 7 or 8 win bull malarkey doesn't cut it .

That schedule is easssy peasssy.

You nothing very little about any of these teams yet, but yet you automatically assume what outcome should happen. The landscape of most teams change annually, outside of Alabama. It happens every year that teams are supposedly top ten and then barely go .500, yet you think these outcomes should just be set in stone. At what point should Marshall just win all of these game every year because 'we should win'....

Says who?

In these posts you see the football anhedonia illness at its worst. Expecting to win every game, not considering that to be an accomplishment.

Sad.

Stop listening to all the excuses coming out of the Shewey or wherever you hear them. That has big season written all over it.

It has nothing to do with excuses coming from the Shewey. It has to do with my understanding of the experience and production we lost.

We lost 35% of our rushing yards, 56% of our receiving yards, and nearly 50% of our tackles from the 2018 squad that you yourself deemed "underachieving."

So, how can you justify saying that we should win 11 or 12 games in 2019 six months before the season starts?

It has nothing to do with excuses coming from the Shewey. It has to do with my understanding of the experience and production we lost.

We lost 35% of our rushing yards, 56% of our receiving yards, and nearly 50% of our tackles from the 2018 squad that you yourself deemed "underachieving."

So, how can you justify saying that we should win 11 or 12 games in 2019 six months before the season starts?
The rushing yards is kind of overstated, we have much better backs returning and waiting in the wings. Receiving yards will improve under a 2nd year starter, and I think that outside of Bee everyone else will be replaceable on D...even Gant(and he was a hell of a player for us).

In these posts you see the football anhedonia illness at its worst. Expecting to win every game, not considering that to be an accomplishment.

Sad.
One conference title in 15 years. No reason we should not win a ton of games and title this year

Well we aren't very good then

We might need a change of direction

Been long enough.

Marshall has won more games than any other team in CUSA the past 5 seasons combined. I know some of you only judge greatness by winning a conference championship, but it's not like these players aren't winning games.

if-you-aint-first-youre-last.jpg

You are asking the wrong question. You are asking for facts and logic to be used. This is not about facts and logic, it is grossly unreasonable to both expect any team in any sport to win every game, every year and, at the same time, consider that to be no accomplishment. It is silly and childish.

The reason the poster expects to win every game is because he expects to win every game. It is a circular argument. At least with little kids, or Spamites, they expect to win every game of "their" team, but at least believe it is something to have done so.

There is no cure for this unreasonable, illogical, childish view. Doc will be gone in a few years, probably on his own terms because nobody in power takes these people seriously, and the next guy, and the next and the next will also be the target of the same crowd.

Reactions: Ninegate
Ok, then is it too much to ask to win a title once more than every 15 years or more specifically once a decade with the current coach?

It is not about winning every game(well you should try to win every game). But, look at that schedule and tell me why Marshall U should not win a ton with that schedule? Half of those teams are cupcakes. you get Ohio and Cincy at home. FIU at home. You do have to go to Middle Tenn and FAU on the road and there will be a combined attendance of 250 people. You don't have any P5 teams let alone two.

Looking at that schedule Marshall should be a favorite, push, or slight dog in all those games except the Boise State game which would be an upset to win. Cincy? Damn, we get them at home. Ohio? At home. Favorite or slight dawg in the rest.

Why the heck has it become acceptable to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division? Of perhaps the weakest D1 conference in America?

Last edited:
Reactions: caliherd
Yehhh hawww second place, in a bad conference! THey have turned the football program at Marshall into a bastion of mediocrity. I guess they are happy with it. I guess the new school President things what we are doing is great since he came from Miss St. And, Hamrick is going to protect his guy, Doc. Well, he has to since he gave him all those contract extensions.

One championship in 15 years. Depressing.

Compare us to literally anyone else in the conference and I doubt you'd call MU the "bastion of mediocrity."

You need to ask him to define a few words and terms like, "mediocrity" and "good program" among others before you ask him to spew his nonsensical drivel.
He seems convinced MU shouldn't lose any games, ever, in the history of mankind, because MU did it exactly once in D1 almost 20 years ago.

Reactions: The Real SamC
You are asking the wrong question. You are asking for facts and logic to be used. This is not about facts and logic, it is grossly unreasonable to both expect any team in any sport to win every game, every year and, at the same time, consider that to be no accomplishment. It is silly and childish.

The reason the poster expects to win every game is because he expects to win every game. It is a circular argument. At least with little kids, or Spamites, they expect to win every game of "their" team, but at least believe it is something to have done so.

There is no cure for this unreasonable, illogical, childish view. Doc will be gone in a few years, probably on his own terms because nobody in power takes these people seriously, and the next guy, and the next and the next will also be the target of the same crowd.

I agree but I'll add...

Its because he and a few others, go to every game and expect Randy Moss and Chad Pennington to either show up, coach, or dress and play.
When it doesn't happen, he gets depressed, and begins to sob, wishing his idea of MU were still a reality when it was really a flash in the pan so to speak.

Furthermore, I doubt even an undefeated season will satisfy his complaints. The very reason he said MU should win (no P5 schools, favorable home schedule), is the exact reason he will not be happy we did win a conference title in the first place.

"Well, MU doesn't play anyone!!! Remember when K state lost their star player and we beat them? Thats MU football, not this beating up on the G5 and no P5 games!!!"

When MU does win against anyone, he'll resort to evolving the argument of, "Well, Doc's football, screw it if it wins, its boring to me! I want to be entertained!!!!" Which will then give him, yet another excuse to dislike MU football and satisfy his thirst for being a pessimistic parasite.
This is where his level of fandom currently is. They can't be mad at Doc because he wins games, so they have to look at style and compare our current style to one with an NFL HoF WR...and of course we won't currently compete with that.
It is literally an endless amount of reasons to dislike MU football because it'll never match his once in a lifetime experience of what it once was...forgetting the game has changed and he needs to accept elements of realism.

The worst sports fans are the ones who think if you don't win the national title then you didn't accomplish anything that season.

That depends on the program. For WVU fans like yourself it would be dumb*, as you have never won a major sports championship and really do not recruit at the level of national championship programs. For Alabama football fans, Kentucky/Duke/UNC basketball fans, etc. it makes perfect sense.

*Really this is irrelevant, as all WVU fans are dumb regardless of fan expectations

Is it unrealistic to expect MU football to win more than one conference championship a decade? Absolutely not.

I agree but I'll add...

Its because he and a few others, go to every game and expect Randy Moss and Chad Pennington to either show up, coach, or dress and play.
When it doesn't happen, he gets depressed, and begins to sob, wishing his idea of MU were still a reality when it was really a flash in the pan so to speak.

Furthermore, I doubt even an undefeated season will satisfy his complaints. The very reason he said MU should win (no P5 schools, favorable home schedule), is the exact reason he will not be happy we did win a conference title in the first place.

"Well, MU doesn't play anyone!!! Remember when K state lost their star player and we beat them? Thats MU football, not this beating up on the G5 and no P5 games!!!"

When MU does win against anyone, he'll resort to evolving the argument of, "Well, Doc's football, screw it if it wins, its boring to me! I want to be entertained!!!!" Which will then give him, yet another excuse to dislike MU football and satisfy his thirst for being a pessimistic parasite.
This is where his level of fandom currently is. They can't be mad at Doc because he wins games, so they have to look at style and compare our current style to one with an NFL HoF WR...and of course we won't currently compete with that.
It is literally an endless amount of reasons to dislike MU football because it'll never match his once in a lifetime experience of what it once was...forgetting the game has changed and he needs to accept elements of realism.

This is a really illogical, poor post. Unless you are trolling...but it also is not good trolling material.

Well s
I agree but I'll add...

Well said. People forget the perfect storm that was MU football in the 90s. The Kanawha county courthouse gang trying to destroy Moss for not settling for the small pond that was Spamism; great recruiting of two over-looked QBs in a row; and the absolute steaming pile of dog s*** that was the MAC before MU came in and forced those stuck in the past programs to modernize. Which is not to say it was not a great time, but the childish expectation that "my team should win because its my team" and the yet more clueless idea that CUSA is nothing and MU should win every game is truly sad.

You are correct, this crew will never be happy, even if MU wins every game, and will sing the same song long after Doc is retired.

Reactions: herd66
Compare us to literally anyone else in the conference and I doubt you'd call MU the "bastion of mediocrity."
Well, we have one more championship than UNC Charlotte.;)

Seriously, shouldn't we want more than to be compared to most of this conference? Really?

You need to ask him to define a few words and terms like, "mediocrity" and "good program" among others before you ask him to spew his nonsensical drivel.
He seems convinced MU shouldn't lose any games, ever, in the history of mankind, because MU did it exactly once in D1 almost 20 years ago.
Mediocrity is winning one conference title in 15 years in a conference that was depleted of the better programs and you are really the marquee program that was left. You have more tradition and resources other than being in a southern recruiting ground than probably any team in the conference.

Continually finishing second in the your division, or worse, is mediocrity again when you have more going for you than the other teams in the division and conference. If Marshall were at a complete disadvantage or an upstart, like several teams in this conference, then it would be acceptable.

Is Marshall going to win every game. Of course not, No team does that. We were talking about this years schedule which looks favorable to Marshall, or it should anyway, having a very good season and frankly the expectations with that schedule should be double digit wins.

Well s

Well said. People forget the perfect storm that was MU football in the 90s. The Kanawha county courthouse gang trying to destroy Moss for not settling for the small pond that was Spamism; great recruiting of two over-looked QBs in a row; and the absolute steaming pile of dog s*** that was the MAC before MU came in and forced those stuck in the past programs to modernize. Which is not to say it was not a great time, but the childish expectation that "my team should win because its my team" and the yet more clueless idea that CUSA is nothing and MU should win every game is truly sad.

You are correct, this crew will never be happy, even if MU wins every game, and will sing the same song long after Doc is retired.
Oh yehh we compted well starting in 1984 in every conference we were in. Southern and MAC. SO it wasn't just the mid to late 90's. At a high level for our level we were at.

We go into CUSA, which was a step up, but then it was dismantled and we should be the 800 lb guerrilla in the room.

One conference title in 15 years and one title under the current coach. That is the definition of mediocrity.

Frankly, Doc is lucky the league was dismantled or he could be the recruiting coordinator with Tan Man down at FSU right now.

Reactions: caliherd
Basketball is going in the wrong direction and football is on the rise.This will never be recognized by the Doc haters.

Correct. Among the things I guess I will never understand is the juxtaposition of the unrealistic expectations in football and the know-nothing spew about how weak CUSA football is, with the acceptance of the pile of crap that is the basketball program, in what really is a weak basketball league where we should expect to win nearly half our games automatically. It is like playing down your son for getting a B in chemical engineering at MIT while praising your daughter for barely finishing an online course in basic math.

Reactions: herd66 and Ninegate
Correct. Among the things I guess I will never understand is the juxtaposition of the unrealistic expectations in football and the know-nothing spew about how weak CUSA football is, with the acceptance of the pile of crap that is the basketball program, in what really is a weak basketball league where we should expect to win nearly half our games automatically. It is like playing down your son for getting a B in chemical engineering at MIT while praising your daughter for barely finishing an online course in basic math.

I think there is only one person that can sum up this post:

There is no cure for this unreasonable, illogical, childish view.

Probably more realistic to say that the first born child, a son, gets criticized for getting a B in medicine & cant pass his boards, after having a lifetime of tutors, private school education, etc. So he settles for getting his teaching degree & has a very successful life.

Meanwhile, the daughter is adopted in later childhood, overcomes everyone’s expectations, and doesn’t carry the load of demand because of her upbringing. She also becomes a great teacher and is very successful in life.

Both can be seen as successful, while recognizing the different paths to get there. One can be seen as more talented that the other, but both have accomplished the same. Not sure why it’s so hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Mediocrity is winning one conference title in 15 years in a conference that was depleted of the better programs and you are really the marquee program that was left. You have more tradition and resources other than being in a southern recruiting ground than probably any team in the conference.

Continually finishing second in the your division, or worse, is mediocrity again when you have more going for you than the other teams in the division and conference. If Marshall were at a complete disadvantage or an upstart, like several teams in this conference, then it would be acceptable.

Is Marshall going to win every game. Of course not, No team does that. We were talking about this years schedule which looks favorable to Marshall, or it should anyway, having a very good season and frankly the expectations with that schedule should be double digit wins.

When has MU ever had more than the schools we had or currently have?
The culture of teams in CUSA is far more forward thinking than any team in the MAC...How many MAC teams have stepped up and moved to better conferences by comparison to CUSA teams?
MU doesn't have nearly as much as these schools and it shows.
It took Hamrick how long to build something that other conference peers could raise money for in half the time?
FAU and FIU began emphasizing improving their sports programs...and with several million invested in football in a hotbed for talent...you are mad at Marshall for losing to them?
Whenever MU puts out a new fundraiser, its often met with nitpicky fans who won't donate because of little things and everyone complains.

I'll give you marquee name brand, but we've never been competitive since being in CUSA. We thought we could walk in and win...forgetting our former coach (probably bitter) left the program high and dry, we hired an inept coach, from an AD who was an abject failure.
Combine all of those and it'd be a miracle to finish above .500, and you have multiple teams ACTUALLY SPENDING MONEY, again, something that shell shocked MU fans, who didn't know how to react to such logic.
MU has essentially had to unscrew 20 years of ineptitude in its AD and frankly, Doc and Hamrick have been making strides.
Do I want us to win more conference titles? Absolutely I do. But if we come up short as we have, I'll remind myself that MU has been more stable to win than most.

Oh yehh we compted well starting in 1984 in every conference we were in. Southern and MAC. SO it wasn't just the mid to late 90's. At a high level for our level we were at.

We go into CUSA, which was a step up, but then it was dismantled and we should be the 800 lb guerrilla in the room.

One conference title in 15 years and one title under the current coach. That is the definition of mediocrity.

Frankly, Doc is lucky the league was dismantled or he could be the recruiting coordinator with Tan Man down at FSU right now.

MU never stepped up when they went to CUSA...never needed to in the MAC and CUSA had (to use your comparison) 800 lb Gorillas taking steroids (using their resources, locations, and forward thinking), deeming them much better than MU, who not only wasn't given roids, but didn't have anything to get bigger and better with.

I disagree with your definition of mediocrity...many P5 programs (and some few G5) spend tens of millions of dollars (and P5's are given this money for existing) and only win 5 games a season.

forgetting our former coach (probably bitter) left the program high and dry

One of these days you'll finally realize how bad a hire snyder was, and then you'll stop blaming someone else for that tragedy. With the next quote below, perhaps you've made a start....

we hired an inept coach

Every regular season under Pruett was a winning season.
After Pruett, it took 9 years to do it again. And starting in 2005, we didn't equal Pruetts last 8 years (not counting 1996 Div 1AA) win total until 5 games into the 2017 season, almost 12 1/2 years. That's just 1 1/2 seasons ago, think about that.

Pruett 77.4% winning percentage
snyder 37.2%
Doc 60.3%

MU never stepped up when they went to CUSA...never needed to in the MAC and CUSA had (to use your comparison) 800 lb Gorillas taking steroids (using their resources, locations, and forward thinking), deeming them much better than MU, who not only wasn't given roids, but didn't have anything to get bigger and better with.

I disagree with your definition of mediocrity...many P5 programs (and some few G5) spend tens of millions of dollars (and P5's are given this money for existing) and only win 5 games a season.

One conference championship in 15 years. Much of that time was after the conference was weakened. That is pretty mediocre. Embarrassing home losses. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division constantly. Multiple losing seasons, one as recent as 2016. Marshall has not finished first in their division since 2014. Our current coach is 45-27 in conference. I wouldn't say that is stellar nor terrible. But, yes, mediocre considering two teams in our division was either IAA(and not a great IAA) and one never had a program 10 years ago. FAU and FIU really have no great tradition. WKU and Middle Tenn came from the Sunbelt and were not exactly world beaters. Mashall has only won their division twice under the current coach in nearly a decade.

Seriously if Doc can't rack up a lot of wins with this years schedule in year 10 something is wrong. I see one game that it would take a big upset on our part to win. That is Boise State on the road. Other than that we should be a favorite or stand a really good shot at winning. You get Ohio and UC in Hungtington. Middle Tenn and FAU on the road. Please. The rest should be cupcake city. Every year Marshall should look at it schedule and chalk 7 or 8 wins up that should be token.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Do you even watch football?

Seriously?

I mean goodness, a child like fandom of thinking your team is just awesome is one thing, but you have let it take you into a dark place where not only do you expect to win every game, you consider the great teams we play to be cupcakes. If you do not see what a great schedule we have this year, you really should move on to something else.

Do you even watch football?

Seriously?

I mean goodness, a child like fandom of thinking your team is just awesome is one thing, but you have let it take you into a dark place where not only do you expect to win every game, you consider the great teams we play to be cupcakes. If you do not see what a great schedule we have this year, you really should move on to something else.
I have seen plenty of Marshall football games. Yes. What great teams are on our schedule this year? Boise State ok. Now goooo.

One of these days you'll finally realize how bad a hire snyder was, and then you'll stop blaming someone else for that tragedy. With the next quote below, perhaps you've made a start....

Every regular season under Pruett was a winning season.
After Pruett, it took 9 years to do it again. And starting in 2005, we didn't equal Pruetts last 8 years (not counting 1996 Div 1AA) win total until 5 games into the 2017 season, almost 12 1/2 years. That's just 1 1/2 seasons ago, think about that.

Pruett 77.4% winning percentage
snyder 37.2%
Doc 60.3%

I know how bad Snyder was, he was a huge reason why MU never got off the ground in CUSA. But Pruett quit in his final season and left MU, under his watch, with NCAA violations. Unless you're a very elite program (which MU is not), that will set you back...and a bad head coach makes it worse.

Seriously if Doc can't rack up a lot of wins with this years schedule in year 10 something is wrong. I see one game that it would take a big upset on our part to win. That is Boise State on the road. Other than that we should be a favorite or stand a really good shot at winning. You get Ohio and UC in Hungtington. Middle Tenn and FAU on the road. Please. The rest should be cupcake city. Every year Marshall should look at it schedule and chalk 7 or 8 wins up that should be token.

He's done that, minus 2016, he's had improvement and has had multiple 10 win seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT