ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Pennington, calling Chad Pennington

Chad doesn't want to coach at this level. For God sakes....move on!!

We need a young SMART coach (currently in the college ranks) who is wanting a chance to have a stepping stone to move up to the big time. No more "Sons of Marshall", no more "WV boys coming home". Enough of these coaches viewing Marshall as a dream job place to end their careers. I want some one hungry for wins so they can move on.

It's how Marshall began its real move up and consistency in the mid 1980's. It's the foundation Pruett took advantage of. No more extensions before the end of their current contract. Big buyout clauses for winning coaches to fund the next one.

My wants ... to keep doc, go find a great QB coach, get a young fresh wild offensive coordinator that is determined to make a name for himself, and then find the meanest most nasty old veteran Defensive coordinator you can find....... that would be some excitement.... enough with the stuck in the mud can't find the our way out style of play.

My wants ... to keep doc, go find a great QB coach, get a young fresh wild offensive coordinator that is determined to make a name for himself, and then find the meanest most nasty old veteran Defensive coordinator you can find....... that would be some excitement.... enough with the stuck in the mud can't find the our way out style of play.
Heater was that lol I'm not sure the defensive wooos are on him. You can have the best plan in the world but if the kids do not execute it, it doesn't matter

I liked heater... I think our lack of scoring and three and outs has our defense not really caring a lot ... but I want someone more nasty then heater...

If and when , and there will be a when , no one remotely associated with Marshall should be considered. This does not work and makes for too many times that a coach is maintained due to a connection of one sort to the school. Same goes for the next AD.

There are too many people in the business of athletics that are available and will be when the time is such that we are replacing coaches and the AD. Problem is when the pay is always on the cheap side you are somewhat limited unless we could come up with a head coach whose Marshall pay would handle the taxes on his buyout or continued pay contract with a top flight school who has to pay him until he comes up with a position that matches his former salary...some one call The Mad Hatter..lol.

Let's say that changes are made to the coaching staff after this #stampeded season is mercifully over. I may get throttled here, but it seems that Doc is going to be here for a few more years. What are the thoughts of trying to get Tony Peterson back here as the OC/QB coach with the understanding that he would be the next head coach when Doc retires? I am aware of how well that worked at that school up north, but I contend that had more to do with the character issues of the leadership than anything else. It would have to be clear that the point is not to run Doc out of town, but to get some offensive changes made and to incent someone to make a lateral move.

Also, I know that Chad P has expressed that he has no interest in coaching at the college level but it's well documented that he worked with Cato a lot (at least conversationally about being a leader). I wonder if he would be willing to come in and work with our QBs, even on an informal basis.

Let's say that changes are made to the coaching staff after this #stampeded season is mercifully over. I may get throttled here, but it seems that Doc is going to be here for a few more years. What are the thoughts of trying to get Tony Peterson back here as the OC/QB coach with the understanding that he would be the next head coach when Doc retires? I am aware of how well that worked at that school up north, but I contend that had more to do with the character issues of the leadership than anything else. It would have to be clear that the point is not to run Doc out of town, but to get some offensive changes made and to incent someone to make a lateral move.

Also, I know that Chad P has expressed that he has no interest in coaching at the college level but it's well documented that he worked with Cato a lot (at least conversationally about being a leader). I wonder if he would be willing to come in and work with our QBs, even on an informal basis.
Why would he leave ECU? Why would you guarantee someone a head coaching job when they never held one at the 1a or 1aa level, or even division 2? I think he would replace legg and flourish BUT don't know about that head coaching stuff.

Just throwing it out there as a way to get creative to get a good OC and one that knows how to coach a QB.

Seems I remember Doc and him not getting along so well, but can't say that for sure, just speculation

no way hammy will fire Doc after 1 meltdown. However, if Doc doesnt get it fixed he will never survive another season like this one. To be honest as much as I support Doc this meltdown is so bad I have lil confidence he can fix it. I mean it is one thing to lose to WKU or La Tech. But losing to UNCC and N. Texas etc is without excuse.We just lost to 2 of the worst teams in FBS let that sink in.Hey Doc whatever is happening in the locker room needs to get fixed fast or you are going to be toast

To say this season is a disaster is an understatement. Disaster was barely bowl eligible, complete destruction is losing to Charlotte and UNT. Who knows what the issue is as far as leadership goes, but even with that we should be able to out talent Charlotte for goodness sakes. I realize they are senior laden and we aren't, but damn. We either have more cancers on this team than we know about or we have very poor guidance from position coaches and coordinators. ODU is drooling watching our defense, and the QB for FIU is as well. I don't even need to speak of MTSU, USM, and WKU. Unless our offense gets off their tails and carries this team (starts with the Oline but they are soo bad I don't see that being fixed quickly), I am not sure we will win another game this season.

I still don't think our coaches just suddenly forgot how to coach. The fact is that, in a wierd way, we should be a bit happy that the bottom of the conference is improving. Unfortunately it is coming at a time when we are retrenching for the future with players who are young and haven't learned how to trust each other and win yet.

Reactions: pdbailey
Unless we do something to turn our attrition rate around, we will always be young and face this at least every other season. We had Cato and Shuler and were fairly stable, but the last couple of years we have booted too many players for whatever reason. Either change recruiting habits or find some other form of discipline. The most successful programs are able to have a decent sized senior class each season and we have been thin on that last few years, its now showing the effect of that.

Look at Ohio, no they don't recruit top notch players, but they usually have a good amount of recruits make it all the way to graduation. That's why they are competitive each year and why they have beaten us so much. Experience sometimes will outweigh talent, and when you have both, you have a great season.

Look at Ohio, no they don't recruit top notch players, but they usually have a good amount of recruits make it all the way to graduation. That's why they are competitive each year and why they have beaten us so much. Experience sometimes will outweigh talent, and when you have both, you have a great season.

It's also why they have never won more than 9 games in a season. But, you are right there is a happy medium between bringing in top talent and coach-able hard workers. Our current situation is not unique, many teams with talent end up imploding due to a variety of factors. In our case, I think the players have tuned out the coaches and are doing what they feel like doing. The bad penalties, the players showboating and talking smack all games when losing and getting burned all game long; these all point to the actions of someone who could care less about the team, "because I'm better than them and the coaches anyway".

You see it in all sports, when something like this happens you have no choice but to fire the coach(es), because you can't fire the entire team. Now, we know Doc won't go, due to finances, but if he is smart he has to change his staff and the current culture to get buy in. Otherwise, it will be more of the same until he is finally replaced.

Those players, all else be damned, need to be benched. I said in another thread, we are already losing, if we have to stick a guy in there that is not very talented but willing to learn from mistakes, then so be it. The other kids that have gotten too big for their pants can watch the game from the bench. The only thing that will teach them is losing playing time, and sometimes that doesn't even work, see pittman and you have to wonder why he gets disciplined for unknown reasons and the others get to play half assed. Obviously we don't know what is going on inside the program, but accountability needs to take place, at the players level and coaching level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT