ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Litton

What would you say about Chase if he had played for another team?

Great size, inconsistent, throws a good long ball but accuracy is very poor, excellent in short yardage, deer in the headlights when the pressure is on, immobile, has matured mildly but still has a lot of growing up to do.

Great size, inconsistent, throws a good long ball but accuracy is very poor, excellent in short yardage, deer in the headlights when the pressure is on, immobile, has matured mildly but still has a lot of growing up to do.

More than fair assessment. What is puzzling is that he has shown signs of brilliance at times. I thought he looked great when we played NC State. But perception can be altered based on how poorly one performs regularly vs having a solid performance, which was actually what should've been the norm at that point in his career.

Reactions: ohio herd

Run a defense at him that is different every time you come to line and never let him get comfortable. Make him move his feet with different blitz packages.

On the flip side if your his OC you need a strong Oline that can run the football and keep pass patterns simple.

I had always heard that his parents made a lot of excuse's for his behavior, so Grants article makes sense. Excuse time is over. He has a great chance to go out and make it happen. Lets root for the kid.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Chase would have been better served to have stayed in Huntington another year. But, it was not to be.
Chase would have been better served to have stayed in Huntington another year. But, it was not to be.

WHY would Chase be better served to stay in Huntington another year? He can practice EVERY day without having to attend class to better develop his QB abilities. WHY fans believe it's their RIGHT to tell college athletes "what's best for their futures" is a sign of putting your nose in his business.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Some people confuse "negative" with "honest". Honest to others, honest to one's self. No one is being negative. CL simply is not good enough. There are 3 QB per team and a career is c. 15 years. 32 x 3 = 96. Anybody who thinks we saw on of the 96 best QBs of this generation is simply either just looking through green colored glasses or just does not know much about football.

That is not "negative".

As to the idea that "he can practice every day", that is not how football works. This is not baseball. This is football. College is the minor leagues for football. Next year there will be another 10-20 QBs and the next year another 10-20. The NFL does not pay people to go practice on the hopes they might someday be good enough to play.

CL will get an early camp with KC, make whatever an FA makes, appear in a meaningless exhibition or two, get cut and, hopefully figure out what is next for him. It is not football. He isn't good enough.

WHY would Chase be better served to stay in Huntington another year? He can practice EVERY day without having to attend class to better develop his QB abilities. WHY fans believe it's their RIGHT to tell college athletes "what's best for their futures" is a sign of putting your nose in his business.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
At this point Chase does not have the skill set to be drafted, so the thought process is come back another year and improve on that skill set to make the transition easier.

CL will get an early camp with KC, make whatever an FA makes

Hopefully. he is smart enough to use it as a blessing. Use the $$ to finish getting his degree, and get a head start of whatever he does next. Most students come out of college with 30k+ in debt. He will come out ahead financially. Use it to his advantage.

But then again.........

This is CL we are talking about. He will go out buy a Maserati, get a Million dollar house; and then have to sell everything when he's working at the car dealership!

Reactions: The Real SamC

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
If he had come back, he would have had a new OC to work under and had a chance to gain even more experience. Next year's QB class is very thin at best.

I wish him well but seriously doubt he makes the squad in any capacity.

Look North young man!

If he had come back, he would have had a new OC to work under and had a chance to gain even more experience. Next year's QB class is very thin at best.
Im not sure Legg was the entire problem with our offense the last several years, but realize that is a different subject.

And make MARSHALL proud. I bet if Chase makes it...all the negative fans will be "so far up his
his ass" that it will sickening.....

The point is that he entered early in a year that had a very strong QB class while he had an inconsistent career at Marshall, plus character and maturity questions. Coming back for his senior year would have been an opportunity to show more consistency and that he had continued to mature and grow his leadership.

The difference between starting your career as an UDFA and a 2-3 round pick is about $30-$50 million dollars over the course of a career for a QB assuming both stick. Yes, you can get better while sitting on a practice squad, but you can never erase the fact that you entered the league as an UDFA that a team has no investment in. They can easily get rid of you for the flavor of the month next year. If you come in as a second round pick with $15 million in guaranteed money they are invested in putting time in to you.

Next year is a much weaker QB year. He should have waited.

Here is Chase's real problem
Qb1- Pat Mahomes. He will get more reps than any other starting qb during the offseason and preseason.
Qb2/3- Chad Henne. 11 year vet with previous starting experience.
Qb2/3- Matt McGloin. 5 year vet with starting experience in the division.
UDFA QB- Richard Laglow. Indiana 6'6 240
So they sign a bigger Chase as an UDFA and have two backup qbs with starting experience who play behind a 2yr first time starting qb who they traded 2 first round picks for. That's a big problem. Hope he didn't have another offer with at least a better practice squad shot. Basically he's competing for a hypothetical 4th qb shot as a practice squad player. Confusing.

Qb1- Pat Mahomes. He will get more reps than any other starting qb during the offseason and preseason.
So they sign a bigger Chase as an UDFA and have two backup qbs with starting experience who play behind a 2yr first time starting qb who they traded 2 first round picks for. That's a big problem. Hope he didn't have another offer with at least a better practice squad shot. Basically he's competing for a hypothetical 4th qb shot as a practice squad player. Confusing.

I’d say it was probably to save face. If no other options were presented, he went with that one just to say he signed. Jmo

Thanks Steve. Since you've actually played in the NFL, your input is the most valid. It sounds like an NFL career can be all about being in the right place at the right time. Next year would have given Chase a much better chance at timing for landing a better job.

I mean we all, yes we all thought Cato would pan out. Now, look. It’s a good thing the XFL and the NFL are leading developmental leagues.

At this point Chase does not have the skill set to be drafted, so the thought process is come back another year and improve on that skill set to make the transition easier.

AllEers6....Chase can learn those skill sets on a NFL taxi squad.
...He gave Marshall 3 years. Nothing more or Nothing less...is needed. Time for HERD fans to move on. AGAIN...I can see all the FRIENDLY posts should Chase make a NFL team. Get over yourselves...We have new QBs to support now.

HerdZilla22 in Cgarlotte

Chase can learn those skill sets on a NFL taxi squad.

Can you please list the current projects the NFL is paying to perhaps some day learn how to play professional football?

I will help you out. None. The NFL is not MLB. It does not have a development system, except for a thing called the NCAA. It puts players on the "taxi squad" (actually the practice squad) so it can keep their rights and pay them to be READY to fill in the next week, because football is a violent sport. That simple.

CL is just not good enough to play in the NFL. There is no shame in that. It is what it is. To think otherwise exhibits either a "green Kool-Aid" level of fandom or just a basic lack of football knowledge.

Lamar Jackson and Chase Litton could have squared off in a shoot out that would have lived in the memory of Herd fans forever. The week prior to, Chase sufferd a pretty good lick against Akron and sufferd a concussion. Some may dispute the severity of his injury, but if Chase would have played that game against Louisville, a number (3) Nationally ranked football team on that warm Saturday night maybe, just maybe things would have turned out another way.

Lamar Jackson and Chase Litton could have squared off in a shoot out that would have lived in the memory of Herd fans forever. The week prior to, Chase sufferd a pretty good lick against Akron and sufferd a concussion. Some may dispute the severity of his injury, but if Chase would have played that game against Louisville, a number (3) Nationally ranked football team on that warm Saturday night maybe, just maybe things would have turned out another way.
getting drafted in the NFL is not tied to one game

Wish the kid the best, but he made a bad decision to come out after last year... If he had a good senior season, combined with a potential Senior Bowl invite and lesser competition in next year's QB class he could have added a lot to his value.

Unless he looks incredible in training camp I doubt he even gets into a preseason game as the 5th QB... Mahomes is going to eat up reps early as McGloin and Henne battle for the number two job with the other probably getting cut before the season (Most NFL teams only carry 2 active roster QBs and one more on the practice squad). Chase's best chance is to outplay the kid from Indiana and hope to stick as the practice squad selection.

Can you please list the current projects the NFL is paying to perhaps some day learn how to play professional football?

I will help you out. None. The NFL is not MLB. It does not have a development system, except for a thing called the NCAA. It puts players on the "taxi squad" (actually the practice squad) so it can keep their rights and pay them to be READY to fill in the next week, because football is a violent sport. That simple.

it's really not that simple and it's wrong. given the rules on who you can put on a practice squad, most guys stashed on practice squads are projects. if the guys were ready to step in to a nfl team and contribute, they wouldn't clear waivers to make the practice squad.

brandon allen, brandon doughty, kyle sloter, taysom hill, josh woodrum, brad kaaya, garrett gilbert, joe callahan, phillip walker, nick mullens, trevone boykin, tyler ferguson, and alex torgersen were all qbs that spent last year on a practice squad. how many of those are ready to step in and play because of an injury and how many are projects?

And which of those guys are not vastly superior to CL?

As to the "he could have gained with a senior year" meme, well, that is the difference between studying really hard at Organic Chemistry and getting a 58 or just blowing it off and getting a 40. You still fail either way. Because your Maker did not give you the gift of getting it. No shame in that. Not everybody can be an MD, or an Marine, or a jet pilot, or an author, or a civil engineer. Or an NFL QB.

Next year's class is, indeed thin at QB. Which means that less QBs will be taken and more other things. It does not mean that teams are going to take QBs that do not belong.

Hopefully he has a Plan B.

And which of those guys are not vastly superior to CL?

As to the "he could have gained with a senior year" meme, well, that is the difference between studying really hard at Organic Chemistry and getting a 58 or just blowing it off and getting a 40. You still fail either way. Because your Maker did not give you the gift of getting it. No shame in that. Not everybody can be an MD, or an Marine, or a jet pilot, or an author, or a civil engineer. Or an NFL QB.

Next year's class is, indeed thin at QB. Which means that less QBs will be taken and more other things. It does not mean that teams are going to take QBs that do not belong.

Hopefully he has a Plan B.

lol, proven wrong yet again and you completely change the subject.

Litton is another example of QBs that get overhyped because they do 1 or 2 things special, like they can throw 60 yards or they are mechanically sound or have a quick ball release. The boxes that scouts check are so overrated. The winners in the NFL are the ones who are athletic, deadly accurate, and mobile. There have been a few exceptions, but for the most part, usually the ones who win in the league are not necessarily the ones that check boxes at the combine. A prime example is that dude from Penn State two years ago. He was slow and immobile but by God he could throw great so everyone sucked him off. He will just be another over hyped slow QB that never makes it. See also: Tim Couch, Kerry Collins, any Alabama QB....

Reactions: johns1124
The winners in the NFL are the ones who are athletic, deadly accurate, and mobile.

You may want to check the starting QBs in the Super Bowl over the last ten years. Overwhelmingly, they are immobile drop back passers who wouldn't be classified as "athletic" for a QB. Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles are all drop back passers. Mobile? Roethlisberger (years ago), Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (to a smaller extent).

Reactions: RhinoD
You may want to check the starting QBs in the Super Bowl over the last ten years. Overwhelmingly, they are immobile drop back passers who wouldn't be classified as "athletic" for a QB. Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles are all drop back passers. Mobile? Roethlisberger (years ago), Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (to a smaller extent).

1- Russell Wilson has been two superbowls and won 1. And if you don't think Tom Brady is mobile then you're a fool. I will give you Eli, however the reason he is not as successful long term is BECAUSE of his lack of mobility. You don't have to be Randall Cunningham to be considered mobile. Being able to scramble and allude pressure is what matters.

1- Russell Wilson has been two superbowls and won 1. And if you don't think Tom Brady is mobile then you're a fool. I will give you Eli, however the reason he is not as successful long term is BECAUSE of his lack of mobility. You don't have to be Randall Cunningham to be considered mobile. Being able to scramble and allude pressure is what matters.
Tommy is mobile within the pocket. He moves SO good there. I hate the prick, but I will admit he’s 1.1 on the list for pocket QBs.

Reactions: kdbherdon
1- Russell Wilson has been two superbowls and won 1.

Yeah, that's why I listed him under the category of athletic and mobile QBs who have been to a Super Bowl over the last ten years. What was so difficult to understand about that?

The fact remains that pocket QBs who lack athleticism and mobility have been to far more Super Bowls over the last ten years than the athletic, mobile, and deadly accurate QBs that you claimed. In fact, there are very, very few athletic, mobile, and deadly accurate QBs anywhere in this world. That's like saying "if you can throw a baseball 95 mph, have four plus pitches, and have great command, you'll win games as a pitcher." Well, no shit. If you are athletic, mobile, and deadly accurate, you have a high chance of being a hell of a quarterback.

And if you don't think Tom Brady is mobile then you're a fool.

Well, you're now calling Tom Brady a fool based on his own words on the topic. Don't take my word for it, just ask him:

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady acknowledged Wednesday he has to do a better job of using his mobility to extend plays.

"It's never really been something I've been great at, extending plays," Brady said in a press conference at Gillette Stadium, per Boston.com. "I see some of these players -- whether it be Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rodgers, or Jay Cutler does it, Alex Smith does it -- the really mobile quarterbacks that do a great job for their team. Ben Roethlisberger's done it for a lot of years.

"Just trying to understand how I can help our team more. If I can make some more of those plays, I think it would really help our team, so I try to focus on that a little bit. Coaches talk about it. And I think there could be more of those, too. I don't think instinctually it's there for me yet. I'm going to keep working at it."

Brady said he is working on becoming a more mobile quarterback.

"I think there's mental parts and there's physical parts," he said. "The mental part is just to keep working on your leg strength, your ability to move when you need to move, to be able to get away from people. I think for me, it's sometimes more of a mental issue. I joke all the time, I don't have one cell in my body that ever tells me to run. I think I just sit there and kind of go, 'Wow, I've got more time to throw than usual.'"

But maybe Brady is just lying. What about football writers?

But is this correct—are mobile quarterbacks like Kaepernick, Michael Vick, and RGIII, more prone to getting hurt than conventional passers such as Flacco, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady?

Does Brady do a good job at side-stepping a rushing defender? Yes. Does that make him a mobile QB? No. Does that make him an athletic QB? Hell no. Does that make him mobile, athletic, AND deadly accurate? Not a chance.

Being able to scramble and allude pressure is what matters.

I am guessing you mean "elude." And according to your earlier words, it isn't just about being able to scramble and elude, it is also about being "deadly accurate." If being able to scramble and elude were all that matters, you'd see a lot of receivers and cornerbacks playing QB.

In reality, being able to get the ball out quickly, make the right decision, and throw accurately are far more important than being able to "scramble and allude" [sic].

CL is just not good enough to play in the NFL. There is no shame in that. It is what it is. To think otherwise exhibits either a "green Kool-Aid" level of fandom or just a basic lack of football knowledge.

FIRST SAD SAM....I have lots of football ability as well as in basketball & baseball. You can throw in golf & softball.
No "green Kool-Aid" drinking in Charlotte. You ever HERD of Brad Hoover (Western Carolina Cats) that received an undrafted free agent invite by the Panthers several years ago. He "walked on" and started at Fullback for Carolina for about 10 years [2000--2010].

I guess I just CHEER for ALL Marshall players
and I hope like Hell you have to eat some Crow-S*it" if & when Chase may make a NFL squad....since you have written him off with NO chance of ever playing in the NFL!!!!!!

HerdZilla22 in charlotte

Where you're drafted usually determines how much of a look you get. Going pro early relegated him to undrafted free agent, which has without a doubt the most difficult path to the NFL (outside of "local guy from local bar comes out for tryout day").

People can argue about whether or not he'll make it, but we're still a year or more away from knowing the final answer to that question - for "probably not" to transform into "maybe so" or "definitely not." Have fun arguing.

Sometimes a quarterback has the instinct to move two or three steps in the right direction exactly at the right time. Not athletic scrambler but experts on making a tackler miss.

ADVERTISEMENT