ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Grassie

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Why was the Marshall men’s soccer coach suspended for the match yesterday? What transgression did he commit?

he made an administrative error. I believe he had to submit a roster to the NCAA before the first game. He made an error and that is why he and the player he made the error on were suspended for the game. He admitted he made the mistake and took full responsibility

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Rumors meister conflict with “administrative error.” Something about too many “yellow” cards got him and the player suspended. I know zip about soccer or a yellow card. You seem to be in the know so if the coach made an “administrative error” so be it. Does he (and the player) get to be in the match against Washington?

he made an administrative error. I believe he had to submit a roster to the NCAA before the first game. He made an error and that is why he and the player he made the error on were suspended for the game. He admitted he made the mistake and took full responsibility

This is incorrect.

Reactions: johns1124
Rumors meister conflict with “administrative error.” Something about too many “yellow” cards got him and the player suspended. I know zip about soccer or a yellow card. You seem to be in the know so if the coach made an “administrative error” so be it. Does he (and the player) get to be in the match against Washington?

This is correct.

Their suspensions will be decided upon this week by the rules committee.

Gosh Coach Stowers I got one correct. Thank you although I honestly do not understand soccer rules.

Both could be correct, the card violations were perhaps not reported correctly (administrative issue); ,making both correct, but incomplete explanations. Just trying to say......

Grassie gets 8 games. Dolabella gets 4 or the remainder of the season, whatever happens first.

Apparently Dolabella was assessed a yellow card and a red card in last year’s CUSA Tournament loss to Kentucky. By rule he was supposed to sit out the first match this year but did not.

Also the referee from the match last year failed to put Dolabella’s red card into the NCAA red card depository, so neither Grassie nor Conference USA ever received the ejection report. However as coach, Grassie is ultimately responsible.

That’s per a release from Marshall Athletics.

Wow....thats a pretty severe penalty. Guess it is what it is. Not sure if the coaches thought it would slide by or just forgot to file the proper paperwork.

From Charleston Gazette..

The administrative error that forced Marshall men’s soccer coach Chris Grassie to sit out the Thundering Herd’s NCAA tournament win over West Virginia University will keep him out of the rest of the postseason — and into next season.

The NCAA decided Grassie will serve an eight-match suspension for the error, which came after junior midfielder Pedro Dolabella did not sit for a game after accumulating a yellow card and red card in Marshall’s final match of 2018. Dolabella also must sit out the rest of the 2019 season or for four games, whichever is longer. The WVU win last Sunday counts in that total.

Marshall, the No. 11 seed in the NCAA tournament, plays at sixth-seeded Washington at 8 p.m. Sunday.

According to a Marshall news release, while the head coach bears the ultimate responsibility for knowing to withhold players from contests, the referee from that 2018 match did not follow an NCAA-mandated rule and never entered the card into the NCAA’s red card depository.

As a result, ejection reports were never sent to the coach, conference office or Marshall University athletic administration. Dolabella needed to sit one match for the red card, but did not.

“This was an honest mistake,” Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick said in the release. “There was no ill intent here and no attempt to gain a competitive advantage. We fully support Chris Grassie and the program he is building at Marshall. He is a first-class person who recruits quality student-athletes who represent Marshall University in a positive manner.”

Grassie gets 8 games. Dolabella gets 4 or the remainder of the season, whatever happens first.

Apparently Dolabella was assessed a yellow card and a red card in last year’s CUSA Tournament loss to Kentucky. By rule he was supposed to sit out the first match this year but did not.

Also the referee from the match last year failed to put Dolabella’s red card into the NCAA red card depository, so neither Grassie nor Conference USA ever received the ejection report. However as coach, Grassie is ultimately responsible.

That’s per a release from Marshall Athletics.

......can we work out a way to get Doc suspended for 8 games, or until we get a new head football coach, whichever happens sooner?

Reactions: ThunderCat98
The ref. Failed to report it. I don’t know who keeps stats for the Marshall men’s soccer team but they failed as well to alert the coaches of the rule - which they should know. It’s fairly common.
Again, Marshall once again shoots itself in the foot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT