ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Chuck Heater hired by D.J. Durkin at Maryland

well, that hurts. Did I read that right, is he not going to be the DC there?

Damn, any of his understudies able to resume duties? Loved his aggressive style most of the time

This D is gonna make Fuller look like a genius the next two years. Heater was a good coach, but we didn't suddenly become better on that side of the ball this year because he started doing something different.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
This is true... Unfortunately you make more as a position coach at a P5 school than as a coordinator at a G5. Fuller will do a good job for us and I would assume keep the same philosophy in place.

I don't think it's purely $$$. I poked around on the Maryland board and word is that Safety's coach is just a place holder. The current D.C. Has one year left on his deal but Heater was hired as his heir apparent and they are pushing the current guy to find a new job this year.

They had one of the worst defenses in the county last year.

Reactions: anon_0314hp8ssprnn
This D is gonna make Fuller look like a genius the next two years. Heater was a good coach, but we didn't suddenly become better on that side of the ball this year because he started doing something different.
Well, he did recruit 3 starters and 3 other key backups that are in the current defensive 2-deep and has done a very good job as a LB coach. He was a very good DC at UT-Chattanooga when we landed him at MU as well. In terms of recruiting, 75% of the 20 recruits he is responsible for from the 2014-2017 classes either completed their eligibility or are still on the roster.

I love Heater. Great coach, great guy. He's awesome to hear speak. Marshall will certainly miss him. But Fuller has already had a bigger impact on our defense than many realize. He's a quality recruiter, and a sharp mind, and his fingerprints are already all over our scheme and game plan. I'll miss Heater, but Marshall D is in good hands.

Thank you for the time you spent with us, Coach Heater. We wish you well. And don't forget that we shared the waters of Hedges-Boyer Pool in your hometown of Tiffin, OH!

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
This is really tough for MU. Coach Heater is an excellent coach that is very well respected and has really transformed the defense in Huntington. It might be an instance where nearing retirement, he couldn’t turn down a pay increase. It’s good to hear Fuller is being looked at to take over the defense and is really thought to be ready to take over the position.

This is really tough for MU. Coach Heater is an excellent coach that is very well respected and has really transformed the defense in Huntington. It might be an instance where nearing retirement, he couldn’t turn down a pay increase. It’s good to hear Fuller is being looked at to take over the defense and is really thought to be ready to take over the position.
Its actually sad because with everyone back this could be the year for the football program to really shine. My fear is it will take half a season for the new coaches to get their systems in place.

your guess would not be accurate !
Look, Marshall fans wanted change and now it happened so with this change comes risk. Lets hope Doc makes the right choices. He now has a Sr QB that has to learn a new play book plus learn the post snap reads as someone discussed

With all the toys coming back, I thought Coach Heater would leave after the 2018 season.

It sucks heater left but it is what we all have been talking about when discussing other coaching positions here. We are a midmajor and we should take coaches that will come in and do so well for us they get recruited to move up and coach elsewhere. He came in and turned our defense around and now got hired to "move up" and coach elsewhere. Thanks for all you did for us while you were at Marshall coach Heater.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT