ADVERTISEMENT

CNN fact-checker says Tampon Tim's claim on Trump economy 'not true,' says manufacturing jobs rose under him

Using the chart provided, how do you define “gains?” Looks to me like they tanked and never even came close to recovering to pre-Obama levels.
When you are gifted a housing crisis that results in manufacturing dropping to 11.4M and you bring those jobs back to 12.3M, I call those gains. You don't get to give Trump a pass on Covid, but blame the housing crisis on Obama.

Yes. It took over 10 years for the market itself to recapture loses.

When Obama took office in Jan 2009 there were 12.561 jobs. In January 2013 when he started his second term there were 11.984. So Obama saw a decrease of almost 600,000 manufacturing jobs in his first term. When he left office in January 2017 there were 12.366. That means that over 8 years Obama lost almost 200,000 manufacturing jobs.

In what universe is that good? During the collapse in 2008 manufacturing jobs had already declined 1.2 million. In eight years Obama managed to leave us with 1.4 million fewer manufacturing jobs then we had in January 2008. No recovery in 8 years.

Before COVID Trump had added 600,000 manufacturing jobs in 3 years.
So you want to blame Obama for the 2008 housing crash but you don't want to hold Trump accountable for Covid? The crash was the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. If that's how you see it, no reason to debate it.

At the end of 2016, we had 12.3M manufacturing jobs. At the end of Feb. 2020, before any notion of Covid, we have 12.8M jobs. The gain was 400K. I have openly given Trump credit for that.

By the end of 2020, those numbers had dropped to 12.2M jobs, or a net loss of 161K jobs. At one point in 2020, we were as low as 11.4M jobs.

When Obama left office, there were 12.5 million jobs. He didn't say F it in January and give up on the next 11 months.

i'm not pointing this comment at either side of this argument, specifically: it's insane how far people go out of their way to over look data and skew data in the favor of their political affiliation in an attempt to make themselves feel better about looking down their nose at the other side.

rodney-king-get-along.gif

i'm not pointing this comment at either side of this argument, specifically: it's insane how far people go out of their way to over look data and skew data in the favor of their political affiliation in an attempt to make themselves feel better about looking down their nose at the other side.

rodney-king-get-along.gif
As an independent, I consciously try and remain objective. Admittedly it's hard with Trump but only because i don't believe what he says which means I have no faith he will implement his policies.

There are two areas he's leveraging that I am open minded about.

I am not sure I agree with the level of tariffs he is proposing or have faith he will implement them smartly without crashing our economy, but I do like the idea of incentivizing companies if they bring their manufacturing jobs to America and I like the idea of tax credits or incentives only being applicable to companies employing American workers. With the way the world has evolved, we have folks who need those specific types of jobs, and way too many of the jobs are now in China and India. I think we've evolved as a country enough that we now recognize that we aren't "too good" for that type of employment.

I also liked some his executive actions on the border. I think his rhetoric is ridiculous and I do believe he tanked the border bill just so he could run on it but I also agree that if you are not in this country, we don't have a humanitarian obligation to allow you to enter and if you enter illegally, we need to expedite deporting you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT