ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Huff Staff

Defense has improved a lot over the season. Special teams is solid.
Offense is the issue. Is it the OC or the QB or both?

Like herdman said, it is hard to answer this without getting personal. We netted 35 yards rushing tonight. And we have a truly talented running back. We have some major deficiencies on the offense.

Reactions: herd66
Defense was shaky early in the year, but has gotten better and really played well tonight.

Special teams has been awful all year, with the exception of the FAU game and Lefevre tonight.

Offense has issues... QB leading the nation in turnovers. Offensive line is up and down. We have a lot of WRs that do one thing well, but not one go-to WR that does everything well. Play calling has been all over the map and bad situationally.

QB plays slightly off some games which leads to bad reads and bad passes, but when he throws a ball into a wideouts hands they have to catch it, their focus always seems to be run and not catch.. so QB looks bad sometimes it’s just bad WR play. OC needs to figure it out, he runs a bunch of play that are the same thing and then repeats plays that don’t work or didn’t work, learn to adjust to the game, to the defense type of play during the game, C’mon Man.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Defense improved as the schedule got easier. They've been giving up huge plays all season long.

There isn't one single coach that I'd be upset about if they left or got fired. Not one.

Also replacing Grant won't fix this offense. Our best TE disappears all the time and has his entire career spanning multiple QBs. Our alleged best WR took 10 games to register a TD and our alleged draft pick RB managed to get 40 some yards.

I'll give Ali a pass because our run plays are absolutely terrible.

I've never in my life seen a group of WRs that suck so bad at the scramble drill. I lost count of how many times Grant was flushed out after the pocket broke down because no one was open then as he scrambles the WRs just watch. They do nothing to work back. Then all the drops. Our WRs never attack the ball and they feel the need to dance around instead of getting up field when they do catch it.

Xavier Gaines is hands down the most overrated player we have ever had.

Grant may have his faults, but he has no one his can consistently trust. Pennington had Moss, Leftehich had Watts and Davis, Hill had Davis, and Cato had Shuler. I won't even bother to list the TEs they had the privilege of having.

Grant has NO ONE. Willie Johnson's career number resemble what some #1 WRs can get in a single season.

I like Ali, but we have no legit run game. Cramsey only calls a run play when he deems it absolutely necessary to do so. There's no passing to set up the run or running to set up the pass. There's no legit play action game. No Cramsey just calls random plays. I can see opposing staffs working our defense into situations (Brohm was a master at it), but I can't see Cramsey running his chess match. Everything he calls is predictable and it's been that way since he's been here.

Last edited:
Defense improved as the schedule got easier. They've been giving up huge plays all season long.

There isn't one single coach that I'd be upset about if they left or got fired. Not one.

Also replacing Grant won't fix this offense. Our best TE disappears all the time and has his entire career spanning multiple QBs. Our alleged best WR took 10 games to register a TE and our alleged draft pick RB managed to get 40 some yards.

I'll give Ali a pass because our run plays are absolutely terrible.

I've never in my life seen a group of WRs that suck so bad at the scramble drill. I lost count of how many times Grant was flushed out after the pocket broke down because no one was open then as he scrambles the WRs just watch. They do nothing to work back. Then all the drops. Our WRs never attack the ball and they feel the need to dance around instead of getting up field when they do catch it.

Xavier Gaines is hands down the most overrated player we have ever had.

Grant may have his faults, but he has no one his can consistently trust. Pennington had Moss, Leftehich had Watts and Davis, Hill had Davis, and Cato had Shuler. I won't even bother to list the TEs they had the privilege of having.

Grant has NO ONE. Willie Johnson's career number resemble what some #1 WRs can get in a single season.

I like Ali, but we have no legit run game. Cramsey only calls a run play when he deems it absolutely necessary to do so. There's no passing to set up the run or running to set up the pass. There's no legit play action game. No Cramsey just calls random plays. I can see opposing staffs working our defense into situations (Brohm was a master at it), but I can't see Cramsey running his chess match. Everything he calls is predictable and it's been that way since he's been here.
This this this^^
The point about WR and Gaines can’t be emphasized enough.

Considering the TOP for UAB, I think we can agree our defense did quite well to still hold them to only 21. In 40 minutes of being on the field, you're bound to have an offense like UAB score on you. They could have taken us to the wood shed.

But, being the glass is half empty kinda guy, I think they would have scored at least one more on us had their RB not hurt himself and was pulled in what, 4th qtr? I don't think that guy came back, thank God.

If/when we ever get the chance to be physically dominant over UAB, I hope Huff will play against them like he did FIU. Throw deep until the last second runs down the clock. Hell, I'm even in favor of him having the offense go for 2 after every fvcking touchdown. I want to see these guys pay for coming into our house 2 years in a row and exposing us as nothing more than a Pee-wee football program with flashy players who don't perform.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
It would be interesting to know how much rotation of players the OC and DC make to keep fresh legs in the game. Not sure it would have made a difference in this game, but I sense that guys in the trenches are not getting relieved very often. It was obvious we were getting pushed around by both their lines, but I would like Huff's take on why that happens.

I'm not so down on the D. UAB scored 21 or less against us, Liberty(12) and Georgia (7). Offense is and had been the issuse. The final drive int is just as much (probably more) on Cramsey. We went straight pass mode and was moving the ball. UAB started dropping 8. PERFECT time for a draw play! We had the time, we have the player to bust a big play but no, it was a pass. I've said it a million times Cramsey does not seem to know how to call one play to set up another. Just like the play we scored the last td with. We never went back to that formation. I think he's just rolling dice and looking up the numbers on a play chart.

Reactions: caliherd
It would be interesting to know how much rotation of players the OC and DC make to keep fresh legs in the game. Not sure it would have made a difference in this game, but I sense that guys in the trenches are not getting relieved very often. It was obvious we were getting pushed around by both their lines, but I would like Huff's take on why that happens.
I think I recall one of the commentators talking about how deep our defense must be since we were consistently rotating 4 guys. I don't know, hell maybe he was talking about UAB. I started to zone out from drinking and deja vu

It's gonna get fun on here next fall is Zamora or Pennington don't start over Wells. If they do, they better not throw any INT's. Be interesting to see posters trashing Chads kid.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It's gonna get fun on here next fall is Zamora or Pennington don't start over Wells. If they do, they better not throw any INT's. Be interesting to see posters trashing Chads kid.

no one is trashing a guy that leads the nation in interceptions. They’re just stating he’s not a great QB

Reactions: The Real SamC
Defense was shaky early in the year, but has gotten better and really played well tonight.

Special teams has been awful all year, with the exception of the FAU game and Lefevre tonight.

Offense has issues... QB leading the nation in turnovers. Offensive line is up and down. We have a lot of WRs that do one thing well, but not one go-to WR that does everything well. Play calling has been all over the map and bad situationally.

special teams has been awful? What are you using for that?

no one is trashing a guy that leads the nation in interceptions. They’re just stating he’s not a great QB
It will be the same with any QB we get in there. We've had one good QB since Hill. Hell the GD OC can help eliminate some of the INT's with better play calls. Cramsey is the offensive equivalent to Chris Rippon.

OC and DB coaches need fired. WKU will beat us like a red headed step child. I'd throw it every down. They'll either get a completion, holding or PI call. I hope I can eat a big helping of Thanksgiving crow saying this. We'll see.

It will be the same with any QB we get in there. We've had one good QB since Hill. Hell the GD OC can help eliminate some of the INT's with better play calls. Cramsey is the offensive equivalent to Chris Rippon.
Bernie Morris was pretty decent just didn’t have the right coaching.

you know what else would help with INTs? If he stopped staring down receivers. Understood what the defense was doing.

wells set the world on fire last year. Then Rice figured out he reads the defense before the snap and decides where he’s going. Disguise your coverage and you can bait him into bad decisions. He threw some awful picks that game and really hasn’t been the same since.

teams that don’t have the guys to be able to disguise their coverage well, he will light up. Because he’s a 1 read QB.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
OC and DB coaches need fired. WKU will beat us like a red headed step child. I'd throw it every down. They'll either get a completion, holding or PI call. I hope I can eat a big helping of Thanksgiving crow saying this. We'll see.

“our OC is garbage and needs fired”

“I’d throw every down”

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

We rotate a lot. The issue is we stay on rotations no matter the situation. Like pulling Ali out when he's starting to feel it and putting Evans in and kill the drive. I've noticed important players coming off the field on 3rd downs on both sides of the ball.

This staff for some reason appears to do what they're going to do no matter how the game is flowing. They have script and won't deviate from it.

There's something to be said about fresh legs, but there's also something to be said about not pulling a player out when he is feeling a rhythm.

Last edited:
Wells still has not learned how to sit in the pocket, read defenses, and go thru his progressions.

Arm strength is only part of the skill set needed. Tyson Bagent’s arm is not as strong but he understands how to sit in that pocket. He will be the DII player of the yr and entry the draft for evaluation after the season.

The good news is Wells has time to learn.

Wells still has not learned how to sit in the pocket, read defenses, and go thru his progressions.

Arm strength is only part of the skill set needed. Tyson Bagent’s arm is not as strong but he understands how to sit in that pocket. He will be the DII player of the yr and entry the draft for evaluation after the season.

The good news is Wells has time to learn.
This has to be a coaching issue. Wells has been on campus 3 years. By now you would think Cramsey, Legg, Trickett or someone would help teach the kid. Geezus, it shouldnt be that hard.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Still do not understand Huffs hiring of Legg whom we all pretty much wanted Doc to get rid of and finally he did when it was too late.

This has to be a coaching issue. Wells has been on campus 3 years. By now you would think Cramsey, Legg, Trickett or someone would help teach the kid. Geezus, it shouldnt be that hard.
Just curious. What does your completion % have to be and how many WRs need to catch a pass before you don't suck?

Grant's problem is that when our backs start to get against the wall be it in late game situations or for whatever reason we're behind the sticks he tries to force something.

It's far too easy to blame the QB for our issues, but I don't see any other position group stepping up out there and out classing their opposition. Just imagine how much easier Grant's life would be if Xavier Gaines wasn't lazy.

Grant completes 66% of his passes and averages around 7 different targets a game. No less than 6 WRs have caught a pass in each game this season. The only issues he has is INTs and when you dig into them 1/3 to 1/2 of them aren't his fault.

But so many just think he sucks. His TD numbers would be a lot higher if Ali wasn't so good in the RZ and WRs could stop getting tackled inside the 5.

Still do not understand Huffs hiring of Legg whom we all pretty much wanted Doc to get rid of and finally he did when it was too late.
He's an assistant HC/TE Coach. He brought him in because he knew Marshall and he's from the area. He's not calling plays. At least I don't think he is.

No the mistake was keeping Cramsey on board for the sake of consistency.

Just curious. What does your completion % have to be and how many WRs need to catch a pass before you don't suck?

Grant's problem is that when our backs start to get against the wall be it in late game situations or for whatever reason we're behind the sticks he tries to force something.

It's far too easy to blame the QB for our issues, but I don't see any other position group stepping up out there and out classing their opposition. Just imagine how much easier Grant's life would be if Xavier Gaines wasn't lazy.

Grant completes 66% of his passes and averages around 7 different targets a game. No less than 6 WRs have caught a pass in each game this season. The only issues he has is INTs and when you dig into them 1/3 to 1/2 of them aren't his fault.

But so many just think he sucks. His TD numbers would be a lot higher if Ali wasn't so good in the RZ and WRs could stop getting tackled inside the 5.
I don’t think he sucks. He’s better than most we have had the last 15 years or so. I just don’t understand why our QB’s don’t seem to progress as others do. Cato had the inner drive and work ethic to get better. I really think it’s a combination of learning curve for Grant and Crapsey’s bad play calling. Crapsey puts us in poor situations as you pointed out. The last drive against ECU is a prime example. We are killing them running the ball and then he calls pass play on first down and a long route on 3rd and 2? WTH?

Cramsey certainly isn’t helping Grant. Jmo

I don’t think he sucks. He’s better than most we have had the last 15 years or so. I just don’t understand why our QB’s don’t seem to progress as others do. Cato had the inner drive and work ethic to get better. I really think it’s a combination of learning curve for Grant and Crapsey’s bad play calling. Crapsey puts us in poor situations as you pointed out. The last drive against ECU is a prime example. We are killing them running the ball and then he calls pass play on first down and a long route on 3rd and 2? WTH?

Cramsey certainly isn’t helping Grant. Jmo
I know you don't, but so many do. Especially over here. I agree wholeheartedly about Crapsey. You don't throw deep on 1st down and then if that's incomplete come back and throw a swing pass parallel to the LoS. Our offense is in 3rd and longs far too often.

On top of that if we just had a very good outside WR. Doesn't even have to be great. I'd settle for Aaron Dobson type. Just someone that can consistently make plays and cause DCs to have to account for them. If your #1 WR has taken 10 games to find the endzone it's not the QBs fault.

Also it may just be me and when I have been paying attention, but doesn't it seem like a majority of our routes are stop and comeback routes? I don't know how many times I've seen Gammage in single press man and we call 6-10 yard comeback route instead of a double move deep shot that give his size and athleticism he should be able to pull down more often than not in this league.

I also think losing Artie Henry was a bigger loss than some gave it credit for.

But so many just think he sucks. His TD numbers would be a lot higher if Ali wasn't so good in the RZ and WRs could stop getting tackled inside the 5
This this this^^^

I would also add, Grant's rushing TDs too. He's had several this year which take away from potently throwing them.

There is simply zero creativity by our offense. To Bleeds point, there is very little in the way of design that creates mismatches down the field. There isn't a LB in the league that could cover Gaines. Very few if any DBs could cover Gammage w/o help. Gammage patterns are either straight down the field or a 10 yd comeback on the outside. Gaines has shown if he doesn't get a ball thrown to him within the first 15 mins, he checks out.

UAB ran 2 deep coverage....we didn't adjust the passing game until the middle of 2nd qtr. Our 2nd TD was a great play call and design too. Additionally when you cant run the ball, which we couldn't last week, that hampers our offense. Our offense is built of running productivity.

There is simply zero creativity by our offense. To Bleeds point, there is very little in the way of design that creates mismatches down the field. There isn't a LB in the league that could cover Gaines. Very few if any DBs could cover Gammage w/o help. Gammage patterns are either straight down the field or a 10 yd comeback on the outside. Gaines has shown if he doesn't get a ball thrown to him within the first 15 mins, he checks out.

UAB ran 2 deep coverage....we didn't adjust the passing game until the middle of 2nd qtr. Our 2nd TD was a great play call and design too. Additionally when you cant run the ball, which we couldn't last week, that hampers our offense. Our offense is built of running productivity.
1. While design is a big issue I think the larger issue is Cramsey does a horrible job in sensing and matching the flow of the game with his play calls. He just calls whatever play.

2. Gaines can play all 5 WR positions, can play TE on either side of the line, can play RB, and can play QB. THERE IS NO REASON IN THE WORLD WHY THIS DUDE IS RACKING UP CRAZY STATS AND GIVING OPPOSING TEAMS NIGHTMARES ASIDE FORM THE FACT THAT OUR OC IS A COMPLETE FOOL.

3. The other huge problem with our offense is urgency and it goes back to point number one. We don't play with urgency until we absolutely are forced to. Shoot even in our final drive we appeared to be just as worried about killing clock as we did scoring. Go back to our score right before halftime. That series was deliberate, aggressive, and showed urgency. What happened? We went 87 yards in 8 plays for a score with little to no resistance. That is how we need to play every series. For most of the game it just feels like we're just running plays like it's practice. There's no urgency. There's not aggression.

4. Ali is an alleged draft pick level talent that had Maurice Clairett taking notice and our HC says he reminds him of Saquan Barkley. The lack of a run game isn't a talent issue. It's a coaching issue. Cramsey does not attempt to establish a run game. He calls run plays when he feels it's absolutely necessary. There is no effort to actually establish Ali during the game. A RB Ali should have 120-150 yard a game easy. However we randomly call run plays and sometimes they're the same play on back to back calls. You want to talk about play design? Just look at the awful design/calls we make on run plays. I can't stand handing the ball off to a stationary RB. Handing the ball off to a flat footed RB and then expecting him to get penetration with the defense has already had time to engage and fill the gaps. THAT IS STUPID. Oh wait Ali gives that little counter fake step before he plows head first into a wall of defenders. HOW ABOUT RUNNING STRETCH PLAY, TOSS PLAYS, OR OVERLOADED LINE PLAYS AND GET ALI DOWNFIELD BEFORE THE DEFENSE IS ENGAGED! HOW ABOUT GIVING HIM A CHANCE!.

I absolutely hate Tim Cramsey. He is absolutely awful.

Reactions: Jartard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT