ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Huff Staff

This has to be a coaching issue. Wells has been on campus 3 years. By now you would think Cramsey, Legg, Trickett or someone would help teach the kid. Geezus, it shouldnt be that hard.
some kids get it and some kids dont....he still has time

He's an assistant HC/TE Coach. He brought him in because he knew Marshall and he's from the area. He's not calling plays. At least I don't think he is.

No the mistake was keeping Cramsey on board for the sake of consistency.
Both need to go IMO and surely Huff knows some better coaches ready to step up in those positions.

I’ve said since he hire, he is BillLegg2.0.
Only difference, Crapsey has about 8-10 more plays the Legg.
Spoke to a dad who has a kid that plays QB in college. He says the first thing fans always complain about is play calling. I think Marshall is lacking talent at certain areas on offense and that is the reason its being held back.

Spoke to a dad who has a kid that plays QB in college. He says the first thing fans always complain about is play calling. I think Marshall is lacking talent at certain areas on offense and that is the reason its being held back.
Cramsey is not a good OC. I don't care what some random dad who has a son that plays in college said.

Four years with different QBs, RBs, and WRs tells us Cramsey needs to go.

Cramsey is not a good OC. I don't care what some random dad who has a son that plays in college said.

Four years with different QBs, RBs, and WRs tells us Cramsey needs to go.
Remember Marshall ran Legg off for the same reason

Remember Marshall ran Legg off for the same reason
And he needed to be. Both guys run offenses that are too easy to predict and shutdown. Our RZ playcalling under Cramsey absolutely sucks.

Just because playcalling is the first thing that fans complain about doesn't mean Cramsey is good.

I don't need to be a player, coach, or a dad of kid that plays college football to know that Cramsey needs to go.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
And he needed to be. Both guys run offenses that are too easy to predict and shutdown. Our RZ playcalling under Cramsey absolutely sucks.

Just because playcalling is the first thing that fans complain about doesn't mean Cramsey is good.

I don't need to be a player, coach, or a dad of kid that plays college football to know that Cramsey needs to go.
My opinion, it’s the talent at QB that causes these issues not the OC. Remember, when every school in America was coming to Huntington to study Marshall’s offense when Legg and Cato were running the show? Well, as soon as Cato leaves everyone wants the OC fired.

btw, the defense and back up QB looked like the problem Saturday

I’ve watched a ton of college football and other than the teams that run the triple option, our offense seems about as basic as it gets. Not much creativity at all.

Is that due to the coaches or lack of talent at the skill positions?

My opinion, it’s the talent at QB that causes these issues not the OC. Remember, when every school in America was coming to Huntington to study Marshall’s offense when Legg and Cato were running the show? Well, as soon as Cato leaves everyone wants the OC fired.

btw, the defense and back up QB looked like the problem Saturday
Every school in America wasn't coming to Huntington. There might have been a couple, but stop acting like Bill Legg is some offensive guru. His coaching stops proves out he's not that great.

No Cramsey is not good. I'm not basing my opinion off of one game either.

I’ve watched a ton of college football and other than the teams that run the triple option, our offense seems about as basic as it gets. Not much creativity at all.

Is that due to the coaches or lack of talent at the skill positions?
When I can sit in section 110 and call 9 out of 10 plays just by the way we line up, I'm pretty sure the other team has figured it out. Only one i miss is that flippin qb draw on 4th down, only because I'm praying it's going to be something else!

I think everything on offense either needs time for development, tweaked or burnt to the ground. Every aspect of coaching, player development, to scheme falls into one of those categories and Huff should not be satisfied with the status quo.

I'm actually fine with Cramsey overall and Legg too. The offensive line needs a shot in the arm personnel wise and perhaps a coaching change. The TE situation needs an immediate starter and so does the WR room at several positions. The WR development has been terrible. The coaching there definitely needs to be looked at and we should pony up the cash for an upgrade!

When I can sit in section 110 and call 9 out of 10 plays just by the way we line up, I'm pretty sure the other team has figured it out. Only one i miss is that flippin qb draw on 4th down, only because I'm praying it's going to be something else!
I had a friend that didn't believe how predictable we are until he attended an away game. He told me he could hear their defenders calling out just about every play we ran. I can't recall who it was. Might have been ODU or MTSU.

We've hard many players and coaches over the years comment on how simplistic our offense and defense is. They said we just execute really well. There's a reason Marshall coaches have not been plucked away to take bigger jobs and progress up the coaching ladder. They leave because they're fired or a coaching friend of theirs got a HC job and wants to bring them along.

If Bill Legg or Tim Cramsey were so good they'd be hired away. Shoot we saw where Legg was trying to get interviews and even got turned down for a HC job at some D-II or FCS school.

Most teams see right through what our OC do. They pile up stats against bad teams or teams we're athletically superior too, but once we play an equal or better team and it becomes a chess match our coaches get exposed. .500 and below competition and they're geniuses, but +.500 and better and they're average at best. There's no way their systems and play calling abilities could hack it a big time program.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
I think everything on offense either needs time for development, tweaked or burnt to the ground. Every aspect of coaching, player development, to scheme falls into one of those categories and Huff should not be satisfied with the status quo.

I'm actually fine with Cramsey overall and Legg too. The offensive line needs a shot in the arm personnel wise and perhaps a coaching change. The TE situation needs an immediate starter and so does the WR room at several positions. The WR development has been terrible. The coaching there definitely needs to be looked at and we should pony up the cash for an upgrade!
You do realize that all those player that "need upgraded" are the players that Cramsey helped recruit and coach for the last 4 seasons right? How many years and how many QB, RBs, WRs, TEs, and OLs does he need to burn through before it clicks?

When you have a TE as athletic and versatile as Xavier Gaines and he maybe touches the ball 2-3 times a game you might be bad at your job. A player that can play all five WR positions, RB, QB, and TE should be an X factor in just about every game because there isn't a defender in CUSA that should be able to check him and if there is you can move him around to create the mismatch you want. However as I have asked our staff on multiple occasions what type of packaging they do to get certain players involved they told me they don't do that. We just take what the defense gives us and it's the QBs job to find the open man. I haven't been able to ask Huff that same question, but he's actually made that same comment when asked about it in press conferences.

I watch a lot of football every Saturday and multiple times over multiple games I will hear the announcers describe how teams use certain players and how they move certain guys around and how they exploit mismatches. Nope. Not at Marshall. We take 5'6" Moo Moo Smith and send him on go routes and jump balls.

A guy like Corey Gammage that had multiple P5 offers and is 6'4" 220lbs and runs like a deer can barely have an impact on the offense and takes 10 games to find the endzone. He either sucks or we don't know how to get him the ball.

Pruett used to talk about drawing plays up for Moss. No Gammage isn't Moss. Not even close, but at least we made ways to make sure the ball was going to him on purpose.

The one thing Cramsey does do that Legg never did was throw to his RBs.

You do realize that all those player that "need upgraded" are the players that Cramsey helped recruit and coach for the last 4 seasons right? How many years and how many QB, RBs, WRs, TEs, and OLs does he need to burn through before it clicks?

When you have a TE as athletic and versatile as Xavier Gaines and he maybe touches the ball 2-3 times a game you might be bad at your job. A player that can play all five WR positions, RB, QB, and TE should be an X factor in just about every game because there isn't a defender in CUSA that should be able to check him and if there is you can move him around to create the mismatch you want. However as I have asked our staff on multiple occasions what type of packaging they do to get certain players involved they told me they don't do that. We just take what the defense gives us and it's the QBs job to find the open man. I haven't been able to ask Huff that same question, but he's actually made that same comment when asked about it in press conferences.

I watch a lot of football every Saturday and multiple times over multiple games I will hear the announcers describe how teams use certain players and how they move certain guys around and how they exploit mismatches. Nope. Not at Marshall. We take 5'6" Moo Moo Smith and send him on go routes and jump balls.

A guy like Corey Gammage that had multiple P5 offers and is 6'4" 220lbs and runs like a deer can barely have an impact on the offense and takes 10 games to find the endzone. He either sucks or we don't know how to get him the ball.

Pruett used to talk about drawing plays up for Moss. No Gammage isn't Moss. Not even close, but at least we made ways to make sure the ball was going to him on purpose.

Great points. Agree about Gaines. He needed targeted 6+ times a game. Gammage, to me, seems like he had a case of the drops this year on sure catches. One big headache for me is time management. We had the ball up 14-0 in 2nd qt, with say 12:52 on game clock. I told father-n-law, be nice to see about a 6 to 8 minute drive right here. We ran 3 incomplete pass plays and literally 16 seconds off the clock. Not going to compete vs a team like wku that's throws it all over the place and can score quickly. smh

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

I agree with a lot of this. Of course, it would help if Gammage was consistent with catching the football when thrown to.
Gaines must be inconsistent with his practices. He has seen not much playing time at crucial downs as the season went on. He also appears to "quit" on some plays when not being thrown to.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I agree with a lot of this. Of course, it would help if Gammage was consistent with catching the football when thrown to.
Gaines must be inconsistent with his practices. He has seen not much playing time at crucial downs as the season went on. He also appears to "quit" on some plays when not being thrown to.
Yea Gammage has not improved much since he's been here and it's a shame.

It's not excuse, but I think over time Gaines pouted because they would forget about him. I can't remember what season it was. We were playing Ohio at home and I think Green was QB, but Gaines had a monster game. We were running him, throwing to him, and he was throwing passes. You expect that is what we were going to get form Gaines and he was never used the same way again.

Go back to the collapse last season. You have a young FR QB coming apart against Rice with two of his top OL missing. You have this weapon in Gaines that you just don't use to take the pressure off. Nope we wait until 2 minutes to go in the half against UAB in the conference championship game to use him in a wildcat like set and even then they were just wasted heaves.

Anyone that thinks Tim Cramsey is a good OC that is probably just hampered by his players' inability to execute knows absolutely nothing about football and probably doesn't pay much attention to any games outside of Huntington. I mean you would have to live in a vacuum to believe he's actually good. I wonder when he runs the same dumb run play back to back if those Cramsey fans are just in awe of his brilliant mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: raleighherdfan
In the second quarter Gammage had a chance to catch a long pass and didn't go up and get the ball. Thats WR 101, come back to the ball or go get it. Not knocking Gammage or taking up for Cramsey. Personally, I think Cramseys offense sucks and am always shocked how many yards we put up at the end of the day. Something is missing in his play calling ability, it is like he has no feel for the game and maybe that's what it is, idk. I'm not sure how an offense works at this level but I assume his offense is driven mostly by statistics. This is my full understanding, we get into a certain formation, oc/qb checks defense scheme, we audible/or dont, then we run the play. Doesn't matter if it's 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 39. Situational awareness seems to be lacking imo. Can anyone shed any light on how the offense works?

Every school in America wasn't coming to Huntington. There might have been a couple, but stop acting like Bill Legg is some offensive guru. His coaching stops proves out he's not that great.

Texas came to town. The point is quality offense means you need a top notch QB. Wells at the point is average

Here is all you need to know. Chad Pennington is trusting his sons development with the current staff.

That play for moss was chad throw randy go

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Which of our QB’s historically have been better than average their freshmen and sophomore years? I can’t think of any to be honest. Even Penny and Lefty had challenges.
Then your proving my point. Once Wells settles down the offense will improve. No use to fire the OC yet?

In the second quarter Gammage had a chance to catch a long pass and didn't go up and get the ball. Thats WR 101, come back to the ball or go get it. Not knocking Gammage or taking up for Cramsey. Personally, I think Cramseys offense sucks and am always shocked how many yards we put up at the end of the day. Something is missing in his play calling ability, it is like he has no feel for the game and maybe that's what it is, idk. I'm not sure how an offense works at this level but I assume his offense is driven mostly by statistics. This is my full understanding, we get into a certain formation, oc/qb checks defense scheme, we audible/or dont, then we run the play. Doesn't matter if it's 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 39. Situational awareness seems to be lacking imo. Can anyone shed any light on how the offense works?
Yes, I can. And the answer is.....not very well.
That play for moss was chad throw randy go.
m
Which of our QB’s historically have been better than average their freshmen and sophomore years? I can’t think of any to be honest. Even Penny and Lefty had challenges.
Chad had a decent 2nd year ('97)

You are not far from the truth. The teams that have done really well are the ones that line up mostly in same way every down but run different plays out of that line up. This type of line up puts a lot of pressure on the defensive to that to figure out is happening before the ball is snapped.

Now we also have to have the offensive talent to execute this type of offense and that is a current problem for Marshall. I am looking forward to the 2022 recruiting class to see if there is really an improvement or more of the same. If there is a big time improvement in talent there will several Freshmen playing next year which says that Coach Huff knows what is needed to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT